I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if

we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the

same.

Thank you.

Om Namo Narayanaya:

Sunil

Guest guest

Dear All,

Even though I stay in Mumbai, I find it difficult to get the konnapoova. Therefore, from last year I have started keeping mogra flowers (real) and colour photos of Konnapova taken from internet.

Essential items required as per my knowledge are

Vegetables (Padvalanga (Longone), Yellow Cucumber)

Coconut

Fruits ( Ripe Mango, Yellow small bananas, Jackfruit)

Grains (Some keep Nine. I usually keep Rice)

Valkannadi, Kannmashi (Kajal), Sindoorum,

Kindhi (with new cloth inserted in fan shape)

Betel leaf with supari (full adaka) and money

Little of gold

And main important Vilaku

These things are kept in front of Guruvayoorpan late at night and in the morning light the lamp and close the eyes of the family members and bring them towards the Kanni and ask them to see all the things one by one and pray to god that let the whole year be of good health, prosper and happiness.

Geetha Nair--- On Wed, 7/4/10, Sunil M <menon_sunil wrote:

Sunil M <menon_sunil[Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?guruvayur Date: Wednesday, 7 April, 2010, 12:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,Vishu is a few days away and someone today asked me the essential items of Vishu Kani and significance of items. I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the same.Thank you.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Guest guest

Namaste,Here is the info I got...http://www.hinduismnet.com/kerala-festival-vishu.htm"The offerings consists of a ritual arrangement in the puja room of

auspicious articles like rice,new cotton dress material, cucumber,

betel leaves, metal mirror, holy scriptures and currency/coins in a

bell metal vessel called uruli with a special flower which blooms in

this season in Kerala called Kanikonna. This arrangement is completed

by the women of the house during the previous night."Regards,Prem--- On Wed, 4/7/10, Sunil M <menon_sunil wrote:Sunil M <menon_sunil[Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?guruvayur Date: Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 12:23 PMDear GuruDevs, Vishu is a few days away and someone today asked me the essential items of Vishu Kani and significance of items. I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the same.Thank you.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil---Om Namo Narayanaya:

Links<*> guruvayur/<*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional<*> To change settings online go to: guruvayur/join ( ID required)<*> To change settings via email: guruvayur-digest guruvayur-fullfeatured <*>

Guest guest

Hari Om!

Besies all what Mrs. Geethaji said in her mail, we also keep Lord Krishna's picture and ensure that the light (lamp) directly reaches on to his face, by keeping the room in dark, so that all the light is focused on his face and one would see Him first before anything else is seen. 

Best regards

On 7 April 2010 14:42, prem <bpremkumar wrote:

Namaste,Here is the info I got...http://www.hinduismnet.com/kerala-festival-vishu.htm " The offerings consists of a ritual arrangement in the puja room of auspicious articles like rice,new cotton dress material, cucumber, betel leaves, metal mirror, holy scriptures and currency/coins in a bell metal vessel called uruli with a special flower which blooms in this season in Kerala called Kanikonna. This arrangement is completed by the women of the house during the previous night. "

Regards,Prem --- On Wed, 4/7/10, Sunil M <menon_sunil wrote:

Sunil M <menon_sunil[Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?guruvayur

Wednesday, April 7, 2010, 12:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,Vishu is a few days away and someone today asked me the essential items of Vishu Kani and significance of items. I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the same.

Thank you.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil---Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Gold (either coin or chain) and fruits like mango (ripe) and banana are also seen in some places. Whatever is auspicious can be kept.

Jai Sree Krishna

Jayasree Menon <euroanusterguruvayur Sent: Wed, April 7, 2010 2:57:11 PMRe: [Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?

Hari Om!

Besies all what Mrs. Geethaji said in her mail, we also keep Lord Krishna's picture and ensure that the light (lamp) directly reaches on to his face, by keeping the room in dark, so that all the light is focused on his face and one would see Him first before anything else is seen.

Best regards

On 7 April 2010 14:42, prem <bpremkumar > wrote:

Namaste,Here is the info I got...http://www.hinduismnet.com/kerala-festival-vishu.htm"The offerings consists of a ritual arrangement in the puja room of auspicious articles like rice,new cotton dress material, cucumber, betel leaves, metal mirror, holy scriptures and currency/coins in a bell metal vessel called uruli with a special flower which blooms in this season in Kerala called Kanikonna. This arrangement is completed by the women of the house during the previous night."Regards,Prem --- On Wed, 4/7/10, Sunil M <menon_sunil@ > wrote:

Sunil M <menon_sunil@ >[Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?guruvayur@grou ps.comWednesday, April 7, 2010, 12:23 PM

Dear GuruDevs,Vishu is a few days away and someone today asked me the essential items of Vishu Kani and significance of items. I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the same.Thank you.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil------------ --------- --------- ------Om Namo Narayanaya:

Guest guest

Respected Gurudevs,

Geethaji, Premji, Seemaji, Jayasreeji have given all the details about Vishukkani. In USA when the winter is over the first plant to sprout is Forsythia, bright yellow coloured leaves which look like kanikonna.,spreading warmth and brightness in the minds of all.I have used this for many years instead of Konna which we cannot get here.The leaves are only yellow for a very short time till end of April.

regards,

sreedevi

Om Namo Narayanaya

--- On Tue, 4/6/10, Sunil M <menon_sunil wrote:

Sunil M <menon_sunil[Guruvayur] Vishu Kani - what and what not?guruvayur Date: Tuesday, April 6, 2010, 11:53 PM

Dear GuruDevs,Vishu is a few days away and someone today asked me the essential items of Vishu Kani and significance of items. I request those of you know more about the Kani to reply about the same and if we can replace Koonappoo with other flowers in places where we can't get the same.Thank you.Om Namo Narayanaya:Sunil