IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress? Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva..Guruvayoorappa saranamWith Love and Prayer, Sharmila Arun Kuwait"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

Guest guest

Respected Sharmillaji,

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

God is only interested in our Bhakti and not worship etc. We do it only to satisfy ourselves. In any case you said that you are doing small worship with flowers and water at home on daily basis. In my opinion that is enough. There is no need to do archana, abhishek etc at temples or for that matter put money in temple hundi also. He would be more pleased and happy if you spend your money and other resources in helping the poor and down trodden, only make sure that they are really deserving because nowadays there arer many beggars who are part of an organised gang. In addittion to providing food and dress to the deserving, you can also consider providing or funding the education of some poor deserving students. By the way, apart from saving money from your expenditure, you can also donate used clothes in your house to the deserving.

Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva. .Guruvayoorappa saranam

Venkataraman

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001 wrote:

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001[Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc.."guruvayur" <guruvayur >Thursday, April 1, 2010, 11:01 AM

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva ...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress? Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva. .Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila Arun Kuwait"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

Guest guest

Sharmillaji,

Doing archana with flowers and water at home itself is a good archana for God. As you rightly said, you can use the money you save for helping others as 'Manavaseva is Madhavaseva'. Earlier I used to do archana in temples visited, but over a period of time, I felt giving oil for the lamps in the temple or giving flowers, if you can, is much better than doing archana as it all depends on the person doing it.

It is my humble thought, I am not sure if it is correct. Poojya gurudevas in the group can throw light on this matter.

Jai Sree Krishna

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001guruvayur <guruvayur >Thu, April 1, 2010 8:31:43 AM[Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva ...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress? Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva. .Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila Arun Kuwait"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

Guest guest

Dear Gurudevs,Radhe Krishna!As many of our respected Gurudevs have pointed out, I too agree that Archana is performed for our own satisfaction,  But what I dont understand is what is this " flowers and water " ?   Because the Lord has said, " Pathram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam " ?

In Kaliyugam, simple Naama-sankeerthanam is enough, and the fruits of this performed with Bhakti will be in par with " Thapasya " in Krutha Yugam, Yaagams in Thretha-yugam and poojas in Dwapara yugam.  But if you are still keen in performing a Pooja at home to your favourite deity, offer the flowers chanting the Lord's names and complete it with offering a neivedyam, and if possible, with a karpoora aarathi.   There are no specifications for neivedyam, you can offer the rice you have cooked for yourself, or a little milk or some fruits.  Offer a namaskaram if you are physically okay, as a namaskaram means, offering oneself in body and soul, in what is called " Saranagathi. "   It is as good as telling the Lord, " O Lord, I have no refuge other than You, I am offering myself to you in body and soul, in total surrender.  Please protect me. "  

RegardsK.V. Gopalakrishna   On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Venkataraman S <venkatfriend wrote:

Respected Sharmillaji,

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

God is only interested in our Bhakti and not worship etc. We do it only to satisfy ourselves. In any case you said that you are doing small worship with flowers and water at home on daily basis. In my opinion that is enough. There is no need to do archana, abhishek etc at temples or for that matter put money in temple hundi also. He would be more pleased and happy if you spend your money and other resources in helping the poor and down trodden, only make sure that they are really deserving because nowadays there arer many beggars who are part of an organised gang. In addittion to providing food and dress to the deserving,  you can also consider providing or funding the education of some poor deserving students. By the way, apart from saving money from your expenditure, you can also donate used clothes in your house to the deserving.

Venkataraman

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001 wrote:

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001[Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..

" guruvayur " <guruvayur >Thursday, April 1, 2010, 11:01 AM

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva ...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that  is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress?

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila Arun Kuwait " Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;

Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. "

-- न करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¾ न पà¥à¤°à¤œà¤¯à¤¾ धनेन तà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤—ेनैके अमृततà¥à¤µà¤®à¤¾à¤¨à¤¶à¥:| परेण नाकं निहितं गà¥à¤¹à¤¾à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ विभà¥à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤¤à¥‡ यदà¥à¤¯à¤¤à¤¯à¥‹ विशनà¥à¤¤à¤¿||  कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿  മംഗളം  നാമ  യസàµà´¯  വാചി  പàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡              ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿  തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ  മഹാപാതകകൊടയ:    .

Guest guest

Dear Sharmilaji,

When I was younger I always had the same question that you had. But as I grew older, this doubt slowly got erased from my mind. I do not know whether I am right or wrong, but I thought I will share my thoughts with you.

There is nothing wrong in offering Abhishekam, Archana etc. But giving to the needy gives me more happiness. So I assume that Bhagavan is prompting us to do that. Remember the story of Viprapathnis in Bhagavatham. All the brahmins were busy doing the Yajnaas offering tons of ghee and other auspicious things in to the yaagaagni and they refused to give some food to the hungry gopaas and Krishna himself. They not only denied food to them, but scolded them for disturbing them. Then Krishna sends the gopaas to ask the wives of those " so called " pious brahmins for food. Their hearts melted to see the hungry faces of the gopaas and with out the knowledge of the brahmins, they gave ample food to them (a share of all those they made for the after-yaaga-feast). Krishna blesses them to join Him and tells the importance of Manava seva. May be we can conclude from this story that showing kindness to the less fortunate is as important or more important than any other prayers.

There are pancha mahayagnas : Brahma Yagna, Deva Yagna, Pithru yagnas, bhuta yagnas and Manushya Yagnas. Of all these, Manushya yagna is the most appropriate in Kaliyuga. Feeding the poor, clothing the naked, giving shelter to homeless, comforting the distressed  are Manushya yagnas. Through the story of Viprapathnis, I feel Bhagavan told us that any kind of service to the suffering humanity is the most pleasing for Him.

I guess we can show kindness in many ways, by words, deeds, prayers etc and it can be done by anybody because there are always less fortunate people than us. Ultimately I think each one has to decide what is right. This is just my humble opinion.

Regards and prayers

Savitri.

chammi <ppsharmilla2001 wrote:

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that  is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress?

Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva..Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila Arun Kuwait " Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;

Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. "

Guest guest

Hari-Om

Savitriji , sharmilaji and other Gurudevas,

All these abhishekams and poojas are done to satisfy man's ego ; the idol in the temple does not require to be fed paal payasam but the poor hungry child in the street is craving for a few mouthful of rice but do we ever think of those hungry souls ? This has been our attitude towards fellow humans and it wil continue to be so for a long time.

Thiss reminds me a Malayalam song about Bhagavan visiting a Palace celebration uninvited ! See the reception He received.

Please read on.

Eeswaranorikkal virunninu poyiRajakottarathil vilikkatheKalmathil gopura vathilinarike Karumayanavan kathu ninnuKarunamayanavan kathu ninnuAlankara deepangal arthu chirichuAnthapuramake koritharichuKoritharichuVibhavangal orungi vidhwanmar orungiVilasa nritham thudangiVilasa nritham thudangi(eeswaran orikkal)adakal charthiya than mani vigrahamavideyum sookshichrunnuavideyum sookshichirunnumadhura padardhangal ayiram vilambimadhira chashakam thulumbimadhira chashakam thulumbioru pidi chorinayi yajichu daivamchirikal uyarnnu sadasilchirikal uyarnnu sadassiloru kavalkaran valongi ninnuchirichu pin vangibhagavan bhagavan

jai shree krishna !

Achuthan Nair

guruvayur , Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:>> Dear Sharmilaji,> > When I was younger I always had the same question that you had. But as I> grew older, this doubt slowly got erased from my mind. I do not know whether> I am right or wrong, but I thought I will share my thoughts with you.> > There is nothing wrong in offering Abhishekam, Archana etc. But giving to> the needy gives me more happiness. So I assume that Bhagavan is prompting us> to do that. Remember the story of Viprapathnis in Bhagavatham. All the> brahmins were busy doing the Yajnaas offering tons of ghee and other> auspicious things in to the yaagaagni and they refused to give some food to> the hungry gopaas and Krishna himself. They not only denied food to them,> but scolded them for disturbing them. Then Krishna sends the gopaas to ask> the wives of those "so called" pious brahmins for food. Their hearts melted> to see the hungry faces of the gopaas and with out the knowledge of the> brahmins, they gave ample food to them (a share of all those they made for> the after-yaaga-feast). Krishna blesses them to join Him and tells the> importance of Manava seva. May be we can conclude from this story that> showing kindness to the less fortunate is as important or more important> than any other prayers.> > There are pancha mahayagnas : Brahma Yagna, Deva Yagna, Pithru yagnas, bhuta> yagnas and Manushya Yagnas. Of all these, Manushya yagna is the most> appropriate in Kaliyuga. Feeding the poor, clothing the naked, giving> shelter to homeless, comforting the distressed are Manushya yagnas. Through> the story of Viprapathnis, I feel Bhagavan told us that any kind of service> to the suffering humanity is the most pleasing for Him.> > I guess we can show kindness in many ways, by words, deeds, prayers etc and> it can be done by anybody because there are always less fortunate people> than us. Ultimately I think each one has to decide what is right. This is> just my humble opinion.> > Regards and prayers> > Savitri.> > > chammi ppsharmilla2001 wrote:> > >> >> > Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva...> > Respected Gurudevas,> > I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis> > also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at> > temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do> > Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for> > the people who do not have one day food or dress?> >> > Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva..> > Guruvayoorappa saranam> > *With Love and Prayer,*> > *Sharmila Arun Kuwait> > *"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving> > his goal;> > Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Guruvayoorappa.

Sampoojya Gurudevs,

I would like  to say in open, with a great painful heart that I cannot

understand

why these honorable and most respectful Gurudevs, criticize very

harshly the act of

Devotees making appropriate worships and offerings, out of their

will,  as they like,

to God. These worships and offerings were made from the origin

of man- from time immemorial.

Who else will feed and look after HIM, if we forsake HIM?

Are they not originated form Vedas, the strongest edifice of our

Sanathana Dharma?

Is it not ‘Veda-Nishedham’, that we are forcing true Devotees

for the negation of this

pure Dharma? Will it not tantamount to persuading them to do ‘Adharma’?

Is it not with some prick of conscience, hiding their true inner

urge, they are asking

whether making offerings to God is right or wrong? Does it mean

that doing propitiation

and satiation (like pariharas and prayaschithas )with a view to

mitigate evils, is quite wrong?

I am at a loss to understand the truth, and I know that I am  insignificant

and ignorant  

comparing to all other honorable  Gurudevs. I have so far

reserved  my comments for fear

whether what I say is right or wrong. If it is wrong, pardon me

great Gurudevs.

I recollect ‘Kriyamargopadesham’ in Ezhuthachan’s Ramayanam,

where the Lord

describes the method of worship in detail to Lakshamanakumara

and the way He likes most,

when worshipping HIM with all kinds of offerings, decorations and

all paraphernalia.

As far as my little knowledge goes, lakhs of families earn their

daily bread out of

the income from so many temples, especially big temples like Sabarimala,

Guruvayoor

etc. I am really afraid that if the Devotees put an end to their

offerings to God, we can

definitely expect massive suicide of members of these poor families.

I supplicate the mercy of honorable Gurudevs to take into

consideration the above facts also,

if they deserve merit, while advising Devotees not to  make worship

and offerings to God.

Contextually, I remember to have read from the conversation

between Sri Ramana Maharshi

and his beloved western disciple Paul Brunton, that when the

latter asked whether he has to leave all

his possessions to become enlightened , Sri Ramana Maharshi’s

reply was that, that ‘I’ also.

I think it is real ‘Sharanagathy’, that is meant by Sri Ramana Bhagavan.

True Devotees are  ready even to surrender all, including themselves

(mam madeeyam cha) to God;

they are only enriched by God, never deprived.

It is heard that 6 or 7 lakhs Rupees are the daily income in

Tiruppathi Sri Venkiteswara Temple in

Tirumala( AP).The money deposited in Vaisakh Bank is used for so

many good services for lakhs of people.

The entire money is Devotees offerings.

‘Bhagavatha Dharmam ’is really the inter relation among

Bhakthan, Bhagavan and Bhakthi,

and I humbly believe that to sustain this relation strong,

lavish worship and appropriate offerings with

unconditional love towards HIM is inevitable.

A bridge is not for an one way traffic.  

Pardon me if I mistook anything.

Padaravindame Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam,

mpr

'Sarvesham Shanthir Bhavathu'

Thank you,

Have a great day,

Regards,

mprnair,

nairradhakrishnan

http://www.mprnair.com/

http://www.mprnair.blogspot.com/

Phone: 281 573 8087;

Cell: 281 948 9338,

Fax: 1425 660 1429.

Kindly Visit:

www.godivinity.

org.

www.namadwaar.

org.

http://guruandnamakirtan.blogspot.com/

guruvayur [guruvayur ] On Behalf Of K.V

Gopalakrishna

Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:23 AM

guruvayur

Re: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..

Dear Gurudevs,

Radhe Krishna!

As many of our respected Gurudevs have pointed out, I too agree that Archana is

performed for our own satisfaction, But what I dont understand is what is

this " flowers and water " ? Because the Lord has said,

" Pathram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam " ?

In Kaliyugam, simple Naama-sankeerthanam is enough, and the fruits of this

performed with Bhakti will be in par with " Thapasya " in Krutha Yugam,

Yaagams in Thretha-yugam and poojas in Dwapara yugam. But if you are

still keen in performing a Pooja at home to your favourite deity, offer the

flowers chanting the Lord's names and complete it with offering a neivedyam,

and if possible, with a karpoora aarathi. There are no specifications

for neivedyam, you can offer the rice you have cooked for yourself, or a little

milk or some fruits. Offer a namaskaram if you are physically okay, as a

namaskaram means, offering oneself in body and soul, in what is called

" Saranagathi. " It is as good as telling the Lord, " O Lord,

I have no refuge other than You, I am offering myself to you in body and soul,

in total surrender. Please protect me. "

Regards

K.V. Gopalakrishna

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Venkataraman S <venkatfriend wrote:

Respected Sharmillaji,

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

God is only interested in our Bhakti and not worship etc.

We do it only to satisfy ourselves. In any case you said that you are doing

small worship with flowers and water at home on daily basis. In my opinion

that is enough. There is no need to do archana, abhishek etc at temples or

for that matter put money in temple hundi also. He would be more pleased and

happy if you spend your money and other resources in helping the poor and down

trodden, only make sure that they are really deserving because nowadays there

arer many beggars who are part of an organised gang. In addittion to

providing food and dress to the deserving, you can also consider

providing or funding the education of some poor deserving students. By the

way, apart from saving money from your expenditure, you can also donate used

clothes in your house to the deserving.

Om

Namo Narayana..Vasudeva. .

Guruvayoorappa saranam

Venkataraman

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001

wrote:

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001

[Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..

" guruvayur " <guruvayur >

Thursday, April 1, 2010, 11:01 AM

Om

Namo Narayana...Vasudeva ...

Respected Gurudevas,

I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis

also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at

temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do

Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for

the people who do not have one day food or dress?

Om Namo Narayana..Vasudeva. .

Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila

Arun Kuwait

" Nothing

can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;

Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental

attitude. "

--

न करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¾ न पà¥à¤°à¤œà¤¯à¤¾ धनेन तà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤—ेनैके

अमृततà¥à¤µà¤®à¤¾à¤¨à¤¶à¥:|

परेण नाकं निहितं गà¥à¤¹à¤¾à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ विभà¥à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤¤à¥‡

यदà¥à¤¯à¤¤à¤¯à¥‹ विशनà¥à¤¤à¤¿||

कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि

पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |

भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿ മംഗളം

നാമ യസàµà´¯ വാചി à´ªàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡

ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿ തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ

മഹാപാതകകൊടയ: .

Guest guest

Dear Sharmilaji,What Savitriji has said is absolutely correct. She has cited a very apt example from Bhagavatam.In Bhagavatam, Kapila, another incarnation of God, says," I am not satisfied with worship even with costly materials if the worshipper is a person who does not treat other humans with respecr. Puja is not an end in itself, but only a means to realize that the same God dwells in all living beings. Therefore helping the needy is one of the best forms of worship. Of course puja is good for uplifting the mind. Best wishes,S.N.Sastri--- On Thu, 4/1/10, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram wrote:Savitri Puram <savitriopuramRe: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do

Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur Date: Thursday, April 1, 2010, 8:19 PM

Dear Sharmilaji,

When I was younger I always had the same question that you had. But as I grew older, this doubt slowly got erased from my mind. I do not know whether I am right or wrong, but I thought I will share my thoughts with you.

There is nothing wrong in offering Abhishekam, Archana etc. But giving to the needy gives me more happiness. So I assume that Bhagavan is prompting us to do that. Remember the story of Viprapathnis in Bhagavatham. All the brahmins were busy doing the Yajnaas offering tons of ghee and other auspicious things in to the yaagaagni and they refused to give some food to the hungry gopaas and Krishna himself. They not only denied food to them, but scolded them for disturbing them. Then Krishna sends the gopaas to ask the wives of those "so called" pious brahmins for food. Their hearts melted to see the hungry faces of the gopaas and with out the knowledge of the brahmins, they gave ample food to them (a share of all those they made for the after-yaaga- feast). Krishna blesses them to join Him and tells the importance of Manava seva. May be we can conclude from this story that showing kindness to the less fortunate is as important or more important than any

other prayers.

There are pancha mahayagnas : Brahma Yagna, Deva Yagna, Pithru yagnas, bhuta yagnas and Manushya Yagnas. Of all these, Manushya yagna is the most appropriate in Kaliyuga. Feeding the poor, clothing the naked, giving shelter to homeless, comforting the distressed are Manushya yagnas. Through the story of Viprapathnis, I feel Bhagavan told us that any kind of service to the suffering humanity is the most pleasing for Him.

I guess we can show kindness in many ways, by words, deeds, prayers etc and it can be done by anybody because there are always less fortunate people than us. Ultimately I think each one has to decide what is right. This is just my humble opinion.

Regards and prayers

Savitri.

chammi <ppsharmilla2001@ .co. in> wrote:

Om Namo Narayana...Vasudeva ...Respected Gurudevas,I am doing small worship with flowers and water at my home on daily basis also I am collecting small money from my expenditure to do some poojas at temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc ...to thank to god? Could I use the same money for the people who do not have one day food or dress?

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila Arun Kuwait"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;

Nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

Guest guest

Respected S N Sastriji,

Thanks for kindling my curiosity - here are a few verses from Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 3, Chapter 29, Shloka 21-27 (From Srila Prabhupada's works)

SB 3.29.21: I am present in every living entity as the Supersoul. If someone neglects or disregards that Supersoul everywhere and engages himself in the worship of the Deity in the temple, that is simply imitation.

SB 3.29.22: One who worships the Deity of Godhead in the temples but does not know that the Supreme Lord, as ParamÄtmÄ, is situated in every living entity's heart, must be in ignorance and is compared to one who offers oblations into ashes.

SB 3.29.23: One who offers Me respect but is envious of the bodies of others and is therefore a separatist never attains peace of mind, because of his inimical behavior towards other living entities.

SB 3.29.24: My dear Mother, even if he worships with proper rituals and paraphernalia, a person who is ignorant of My presence in all living entities never pleases Me by the worship of My Deities in the temple.

SB 3.29.25: Performing his prescribed duties, one should worship the Deity of the Supreme Personality of Godhead until one realizes My presence in his own heart and in the hearts of other living entities as well.

(Sastriji, you wrote : "Puja is not an end in itself, but only a means to realize that the same God dwells in all living beings."

You seem to have captured the essence of the above verse in such a simple sentence!)

SB 3.29.26: As the blazing fire of death, I cause great fear to whoever makes the least discrimination between himself and other living entities because of a differential outlook.

SB 3.29.27: Therefore, through charitable gifts and attention, as well as through friendly behavior and by viewing all to be alike, one should propitiate Me, who abide in all creatures as their very Self.

Regards,

-sriram

--- On Fri, 4/2/10, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri wrote:

Nilakantan sastri <snsastriRe: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur Date: Friday, April 2, 2010, 10:50 AM

Dear Sharmilaji,What Savitriji has said is absolutely correct. She has cited a very apt example from Bhagavatam.In Bhagavatam, Kapila, another incarnation of God, says," I am not satisfied with worship even with costly materials if the worshipper is a person who does not treat other humans with respecr. Puja is not an end in itself, but only a means to realize that the same God dwells in all living beings. Therefore helping the needy is one of the best forms of worship. Of course puja is good for uplifting the mind. Best wishes,S.N.Sastri--- On Thu, 4/1/10, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, April 1, 2010, 8:19 PM

Dear Sharmilaji,

There is nothing wrong in offering Abhishekam, Archana etc. But giving to the needy gives me more happiness. So I assume that Bhagavan is prompting us to do that. Remember the story of Viprapathnis in Bhagavatham. All the brahmins were busy doing the Yajnaas offering tons of ghee and other auspicious things in to the yaagaagni and they refused to give some food to the hungry gopaas and Krishna himself. They not only denied food to them, but scolded them for disturbing them. Then Krishna sends the gopaas to ask the wives of those "so called" pious brahmins for food. Their hearts melted to see the hungry faces of the gopaas and with out the knowledge of the brahmins, they gave ample food to them (a share of all those they made for the after-yaaga- feast). Krishna blesses them to join Him and tells the importance of Manava seva. May be we can conclude from this story that showing kindness to the less fortunate is as important or more important than any

other prayers.

There are pancha mahayagnas : Brahma Yagna, Deva Yagna, Pithru yagnas, bhuta yagnas and Manushya Yagnas. Of all these, Manushya yagna is the most appropriate in Kaliyuga. Feeding the poor, clothing the naked, giving shelter to homeless, comforting the distressed are Manushya yagnas. Through the story of Viprapathnis, I feel Bhagavan told us that any kind of service to the suffering humanity is the most pleasing for Him.

Regards and prayers

Savitri.

With Love and Prayer,

Guest guest

Dear Sriramji,These are exactly the verses I had in mind. Best wishes,S.N.Sastri--- On Fri, 4/2/10, SRIRAM SUBRAMANIAN <abheri wrote:SRIRAM SUBRAMANIAN <abheriRe: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur Date: Friday, April 2, 2010, 5:44 PM

Respected S N Sastriji,

Thanks for kindling my curiosity - here are a few verses from Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 3, Chapter 29, Shloka 21-27 (From Srila Prabhupada's works)

SB 3.29.21: I am present in every living entity as the Supersoul. If someone neglects or disregards that Supersoul everywhere and engages himself in the worship of the Deity in the temple, that is simply imitation.

SB 3.29.22: One who worships the Deity of Godhead in the temples but does not know that the Supreme Lord, as ParamÄtmÄ, is situated in every living entity's heart, must be in ignorance and is compared to one who offers oblations into ashes.

SB 3.29.23: One who offers Me respect but is envious of the bodies of others and is therefore a separatist never attains peace of mind, because of his inimical behavior towards other living entities.

SB 3.29.24: My dear Mother, even if he worships with proper rituals and paraphernalia, a person who is ignorant of My presence in all living entities never pleases Me by the worship of My Deities in the temple.

SB 3.29.25: Performing his prescribed duties, one should worship the Deity of the Supreme Personality of Godhead until one realizes My presence in his own heart and in the hearts of other living entities as well.

(Sastriji, you wrote : "Puja is not an end in itself, but only a means to realize that the same God dwells in all living beings."

You seem to have captured the essence of the above verse in such a simple sentence!)

SB 3.29.26: As the blazing fire of death, I cause great fear to whoever makes the least discrimination between himself and other living entities because of a differential outlook.

SB 3.29.27: Therefore, through charitable gifts and attention, as well as through friendly behavior and by viewing all to be alike, one should propitiate Me, who abide in all creatures as their very Self.

Regards,

-sriram

--- On Fri, 4/2/10, Nilakantan sastri <snsastri > wrote:

Nilakantan sastri <snsastri >Re: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur@grou ps.comFriday, April 2, 2010, 10:50 AM

Dear Sharmilaji,What Savitriji has said is absolutely correct. She has cited a very apt example from Bhagavatam.In Bhagavatam, Kapila, another incarnation of God, says," I am not satisfied with worship even with costly materials if the worshipper is a person who does not treat other humans with respecr. Puja is not an end in itself, but only a means to realize that the same God dwells in all living beings. Therefore helping the needy is one of the best forms of worship. Of course puja is good for uplifting the mind. Best wishes,S.N.Sastri--- On Thu, 4/1/10, Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com> wrote:

Savitri Puram <savitriopuram@ gmail.com>Re: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur@grou ps.comThursday, April 1, 2010, 8:19 PM

Dear Sharmilaji,

other prayers.

Regards and prayers

Savitri.

With Love and Prayer,

Guest guest

Om Namo NarayanaDear Devotees,I think the Kshetraachaaram was started only when the human being started to think about the God's existence and HIS witnessing presence in everything. We found a way to worship the almighty by setting up Kshetrams and to meet the expenses of running a temple, we started contributing financial/material aid by way of offerings in kind and in cash, by which ofcourse one gets an inner satisfaction (it is called sakthikothha vazhipaadu). This is for ourseves very much, and not for the GOD.But now the situation has changed. When we go to an temple's offering-counter, we can see attractive advertisements for different poojas.When a person offers a SHATRHU SAMHAARA POOJA, It is sure that, there must be a person or something else in his mind as the obstacle to his progress. It could

be a neighbour, a co-woerker, even a mother in law. He doesnt know that his real SHATRHU is mightier than the one who is in his mind. If we think, this pooja is to held in each one of our mind itself praying to the Lord that:"shadvairikalkku vilayaattathhinaakkaruthuchitthambujam mama thavaasthaana rangamathil thathrapi nithyavum orikkal irunnarulka, sathya swaroopa, Hari Narayanaya nama....."Bhagavaan says "I am in everything". But, we cannot see HIM in anything except in the temple..... Still we want to do something for HIM, and so we are doing archana, abhishekam, etc.....Pardon me if I am wrong.Suresh C. KurupOm Namo

Narayanaya--- On Fri, 2/4/10, mprnair <nairradhakrishnan wrote:mprnair <nairradhakrishnanRE: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur Date: Friday, 2 April, 2010, 4:36 AM

Guruvayoorappa. Sampoojya Gurudevs, I would like to say in open, with a great painful heart that I cannot

understand why these honorable and most respectful Gurudevs, criticize very

harshly the act of Devotees making appropriate worships and offerings, out of their

will, as they like, to God. These worships and offerings were made from the origin

of man- from time immemorial. Who else will feed and look after HIM, if we forsake HIM? Are they not originated form Vedas, the strongest edifice of our

Sanathana Dharma? Is it not ‘Veda-Nishedham’, that we are forcing true Devotees

for the negation of this pure Dharma? Will it not tantamount to persuading them to do ‘Adharma’?

urge, they are asking whether making offerings to God is right or wrong? Does it mean

that doing propitiation and satiation (like pariharas and prayaschithas )with a view to

mitigate evils, is quite wrong? I am at a loss to understand the truth, and I know that I am insignificant

and ignorant comparing to all other honorable Gurudevs. I have so far

reserved my comments for fear whether what I say is right or wrong. If it is wrong, pardon me

great Gurudevs. I recollect ‘Kriyamargopadesham’ in Ezhuthachan’s Ramayanam,

where the Lord describes the method of worship in detail to Lakshamanakumara

and the way He likes most, when worshipping HIM with all kinds of offerings, decorations and

all paraphernalia. As far as my little knowledge goes, lakhs of families earn their

daily bread out of the income from so many temples, especially big temples like Sabarimala,

Guruvayoor etc. I am really afraid that if the Devotees put an end to their

offerings to God, we can definitely expect massive suicide of members of these poor families.

consideration the above facts also, if they deserve merit, while advising Devotees not to make worship

and offerings to God. Contextually, I remember to have read from the conversation

between Sri Ramana Maharshi and his beloved western disciple Paul Brunton, that when the

latter asked whether he has to leave all his possessions to become enlightened , Sri Ramana Maharshi’s

reply was that, that ‘I’ also. I think it is real ‘Sharanagathy’, that is meant by Sri Ramana Bhagavan. True Devotees are ready even to surrender all, including themselves

(mam madeeyam cha) to God; they are only enriched by God, never deprived. It is heard that 6 or 7 lakhs Rupees are the daily income in

Tiruppathi Sri Venkiteswara Temple in Tirumala( AP).The money deposited in Vaisakh Bank is used for so

many good services for lakhs of people. The entire money is Devotees offerings. ‘Bhagavatha Dharmam ’is really the inter relation among

Bhakthan, Bhagavan and Bhakthi, and I humbly believe that to sustain this relation strong,

lavish worship and appropriate offerings with unconditional love towards HIM is inevitable. A bridge is not for an one way traffic. Pardon me if I mistook anything. Padaravindame Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam, mpr

'Sarvesham Shanthir Bhavathu' Thank you, Have a great day, Regards, mprnair, nairradhakrishnan@ hotmail.com http://www.mprnair. com/ http://www.mprnair. blogspot. com/ Phone: 281 573 8087; Cell: 281 948 9338, Fax: 1425 660 1429. Kindly Visit: www.godivinity.

org. www.namadwaar.

org. http://guruandnamak irtan.blogspot. com/

guruvayur@grou ps.com [guruvayur] On Behalf Of K.V

Gopalakrishna

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Dear Gurudevs,

Radhe Krishna!

performed for our own satisfaction, But what I dont understand is what is

this "flowers and water" ? Because the Lord has said,

"Pathram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam"?

performed with Bhakti will be in par with "Thapasya" in Krutha Yugam,

Yaagams in Thretha-yugam and poojas in Dwapara yugam. But if you are

and if possible, with a karpoora aarathi. There are no specifications

milk or some fruits. Offer a namaskaram if you are physically okay, as a

"Saranagathi." It is as good as telling the Lord, "O Lord,

in total surrender. Please protect me."

Regards

K.V. Gopalakrishna

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Venkataraman S <venkatfriend@ > wrote:

Respected Sharmillaji,

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

providing food and dress to the deserving, you can also consider

clothes in your house to the deserving.

Om

Guruvayoorappa saranam

Venkataraman

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001@ .co. in>

wrote:

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001@ .co. in>

"guruvayur" <guruvayur@grou ps.com>

Om

Respected Gurudevas,

temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that is it necessary to do

Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila

Arun Kuwait

"Nothing

attitude."

--

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿ മംഗളം

നാമ യസàµà´¯ വാചി à´ªàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡

ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿ തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ

മഹാപാതകകൊടയ: .

Your Mail works best with the New Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!.

Guest guest

Dear Sureshji,Radhe Krishna!The six enemies Poonthaanam is referring to  are " Kaamam " , " Krodham " , " lobham " . " Moham " , " Madam " and " Matsaryam " I am sure you had this in your mind  when you wrote the mail, although you have not expressed it.   So the best way to get rid of these six enemies is to resolve that you will give up all these six qualities and as you said, pray for that.

Loving regardsKVGOn Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM, SURESH C KURUP <sureshckurup wrote:

Om Namo NarayanaDear Devotees,I think the Kshetraachaaram was started only when the human being started to think about the God's existence and HIS witnessing presence in everything.  We found a way to worship the almighty by setting up Kshetrams and to meet the expenses of running a temple, we started contributing financial/material aid by way of offerings in kind and in cash, by which ofcourse one gets an inner satisfaction (it is called sakthikothha vazhipaadu).  This is for ourseves very much, and not for the GOD.

But now the situation has changed.  When we go to an temple's offering-counter, we can see attractive advertisements for different poojas.When a person offers a SHATRHU SAMHAARA POOJA, It is sure that, there must be a person or something else in his mind as the obstacle to his progress.  It could

be a neighbour, a co-woerker, even a mother in law.  He doesnt know that his real SHATRHU is mightier than the one who is in his mind.  If we think, this pooja is to held in each one of our mind itself praying to the Lord that:

" shadvairikalkku vilayaattathhinaakkaruthuchitthambujam mama thavaasthaana rangamathil thathrapi nithyavum orikkal irunnarulka, sathya swaroopa, Hari Narayanaya nama..... " Bhagavaan says " I am in everything " .  But, we cannot see HIM in anything except in the temple..... Still we want to do something for HIM, and so we are doing archana, abhishekam, etc.....

Pardon me if I am wrong.Suresh C. KurupOm Namo

Narayanaya--- On Fri, 2/4/10, mprnair <nairradhakrishnan wrote:

mprnair <nairradhakrishnanRE: [Guruvayur] Is it necessary to do Archana, Abhiskekam etc..guruvayur

Friday, 2 April, 2010, 4:36 AM

Guruvayoorappa. Sampoojya Gurudevs, I would like to say in open, with a great painful heart that I cannot

understand why these honorable and most respectful Gurudevs, criticize very

harshly the act of Devotees making appropriate worships and offerings, out of their

will, as they like, to God. These worships and offerings were made from the origin

of man- from time immemorial. Who else will feed and look after HIM, if we forsake HIM? Are they not originated form Vedas, the strongest edifice of our

Sanathana Dharma? Is it not ‘Veda-Nishedham’, that we are forcing true Devotees

for the negation of this pure Dharma? Will it not tantamount to persuading them to do ‘Adharma’?

urge, they are asking whether making offerings to God is right or wrong? Does it mean

that doing propitiation and satiation (like pariharas and prayaschithas )with a view to

mitigate evils, is quite wrong?   I am at a loss to understand the truth, and I know that I am insignificant

and ignorant comparing to all other honorable Gurudevs. I have so far

reserved my comments for fear whether what I say is right or wrong. If it is wrong, pardon me

great Gurudevs.   I recollect ‘Kriyamargopadesham’ in Ezhuthachan’s Ramayanam,

where the Lord describes the method of worship in detail to Lakshamanakumara

and the way He likes most, when worshipping HIM with all kinds of offerings, decorations and

all paraphernalia.   As far as my little knowledge goes, lakhs of families earn their

daily bread out of the income from so many temples, especially big temples like Sabarimala,

Guruvayoor etc. I am really afraid that if the Devotees put an end to their

offerings to God, we can definitely expect massive suicide of members of these poor families.

consideration the above facts also, if they deserve merit, while advising Devotees not to make worship

and offerings to God. Contextually, I remember to have read from the conversation

between Sri Ramana Maharshi and his beloved western disciple Paul Brunton, that when the

latter asked whether he has to leave all his possessions to become enlightened , Sri Ramana Maharshi’s

reply was that, that ‘I’ also. I think it is real ‘Sharanagathy’, that is meant by Sri Ramana Bhagavan.   True Devotees are ready even to surrender all, including themselves

(mam madeeyam cha) to God; they are only enriched by God, never deprived. It is heard that 6 or 7 lakhs Rupees are the daily income in

Tiruppathi Sri Venkiteswara Temple in Tirumala( AP).The money deposited in Vaisakh Bank is used for so

many good services for lakhs of people. The entire money is Devotees offerings. ‘Bhagavatha Dharmam ’is really the inter relation among

Bhakthan, Bhagavan and Bhakthi, and I humbly believe that to sustain this relation strong,

lavish worship and appropriate offerings with unconditional love towards HIM is inevitable. A bridge is not for an one way traffic. Pardon me if I mistook anything. Padaravindame Saranam, Guruvayoorappa Saranam, mpr  

'Sarvesham Shanthir Bhavathu' Thank you, Have a great day, Regards, mprnair, nairradhakrishnan@ hotmail.com http://www.mprnair. com/ http://www.mprnair. blogspot. com/ Phone: 281 573 8087; Cell: 281 948 9338, Fax: 1425 660 1429. Kindly Visit: www.godivinity.

org. www.namadwaar.

org. http://guruandnamak irtan.blogspot. com/

guruvayur@grou ps.com [guruvayur] On Behalf Of K.V

Gopalakrishna

guruvayur@grou ps.com

Dear Gurudevs,

Radhe Krishna!

performed for our own satisfaction,  But what I dont understand is what is

this " flowers and water " ?   Because the Lord has said,

" Pathram, pushpam, phalam, thoyam " ?

performed with Bhakti will be in par with " Thapasya " in Krutha Yugam,

Yaagams in Thretha-yugam and poojas in Dwapara yugam.  But if you are

and if possible, with a karpoora aarathi.   There are no specifications

milk or some fruits.  Offer a namaskaram if you are physically okay, as a

" Saranagathi. "   It is as good as telling the Lord, " O Lord,

in total surrender.  Please protect me. "  

Regards

K.V. Gopalakrishna

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Venkataraman S <venkatfriend@ > wrote:

Respected Sharmillaji,

OM NAMO NARAYANAYA

providing food and dress to the deserving,  you can also consider

clothes in your house to the deserving.

Om

Guruvayoorappa saranam

Venkataraman

--- On Thu, 4/1/10, sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001@ .co. in>

wrote:

sharmilla chammi <ppsharmilla2001@ .co. in>

" guruvayur " <guruvayur@grou ps.com>

Om

Respected Gurudevas,

temples to thank to God. I have one doubt that  is it necessary to do

Guruvayoorappa saranam

With Love and Prayer,

Sharmila

Arun Kuwait

" Nothing

attitude. "

--

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿  മംഗളം

നാമ  യസàµà´¯  വാചി  പàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡        

ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿  തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ

മഹാപാതകകൊടയ:    .

Your Mail works best with the New Optimized IE8. Get it NOW!.

-- न करà¥à¤®à¤£à¤¾ न पà¥à¤°à¤œà¤¯à¤¾ धनेन तà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤—ेनैके अमृततà¥à¤µà¤®à¤¾à¤¨à¤¶à¥:| परेण नाकं निहितं गà¥à¤¹à¤¾à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ विभà¥à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤¤à¥‡ यदà¥à¤¯à¤¤à¤¯à¥‹ विशनà¥à¤¤à¤¿||  कृषà¥à¤£à¥‡à¤¤à¤¿ मंगलमॠनाम यसà¥à¤¯ वाचि पà¥à¤°à¤µà¤°à¥à¤¤à¤¤à¥‡ |भसà¥à¤®à¥€à¤­à¤µà¤¨à¥à¤¤à¤¿ तसà¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤¶à¥ महापातककोटयः ||  

കൃഷàµà´¨àµà´¨àµ†à´¤à´¿  മംഗളം  നാമ  യസàµà´¯  വാചി  പàµà´°à´µà´°àµâ€à´¤àµà´¤à´¤àµ‡              ഭാസàµà´®àµ€à´­à´µà´¨àµà´¤à´¿  തസàµà´¯à´¾à´¶àµ  മഹാപാതകകൊടയ:    .