IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

cow's milk again

Rate this topic

Milk... Krsna's Miracle Gift To Mankind
BY: MAHANANDA DASA

Jul 19, USA (SUN) — Vegan or not Vegan, which is correct?

"
The protection of cows maintains the most miraculous form of food, i.e., milk for maintaining the finer tissues of the brain for understanding higher aims of life." Srila Prabhupada

In response to the article posted on Sampradaya Sun promoting veganism in ISKCON temples, I would like to present our view of milk drinking that we have accepted from our spiritual master.

Despite the evils of modern dairies and the cruel methods of obtaining milk from the mother cows, or despite the unwanted chemicals that store bought milk might introduce into your body and cause ill effects, still, we do not condemn drinking milk nor support veganism as part of our philosophy.

Quite the contrary. The glories of drinking cow's milk are everywhere in Srila Prabhupada's books. And though this may cause some doubts in the minds of those who have embraced vegan-ism, we as devotees faithfully follow the advice of our teacher, though it is sometimes contrary to fads or scientific theory.

To sometimes reject scientific evidence is basic to a devotee's understanding of how to reach real knowledge of the actual condition of the living entities, both spiritually and materially. In a few years, vegans may become milk drinkers, or theorist may change their minds many times about the affects of milk, but a devotee remains steady and accepts the Vedic version as it is handed down through disciplic succession.

Among the few thousands references to milk in Srila Prabhupada's books and lectures, I would like to point out a few here that will give a different perspective of drinking milk than that of the vegans. Srila Prabhupada says. ''Cow has got special importance because it supplies milk, and milk is very essential food that is... From the childhood, a child lives on milk, and there are many saintly persons, they also live by drinking milk. Milk is very important item in the human society, and it supplies all vitamins. "

Also he says "But He's (Krsna) speaking of go-raksya for our special material benefit, that if we protect the cows, we can have the facility of drinking milk, which will help us in keeping our health in order and developing very nice brain tissues to understand spiritual subject matter."

Of course, like the vegans, we condemn the inhuman treatment of the cows at the dairies and slaughterhouses. Srila Prabhupada says "the cow's calf not only is beautiful to look at, but also gives satisfaction to the cow, and so she delivers as much milk as possible. But in the Kali-yuga, the calves are separated from the cows as early as possible for purposes which may not be mentioned in these pages of Srimad-Bhagavatam. The cow stands with tears in her eyes, the sudra milkman draws milk from the cow artificially, and when there is no milk the cow is sent to be slaughtered. These greatly sinful acts are responsible for all the troubles in present society. People do not know what they are doing in the name of economic development."

Srila Prabhupada also instructed us, "Milk is compared to nectar, which one can drink to become immortal. Of course, simply drinking milk will not make one immortal, but it can increase the duration of one's life. In modern civilization, men do not think milk to be important, and therefore they do not live very long. Although in this age men can live up to one hundred years, their duration of life is reduced because they do not drink large quantities of milk. This is a sign of Kali-yuga. In Kali-yuga, instead of drinking milk, people prefer to slaughter an animal and eat its flesh. The Supreme Personality of Godhead, in His instructions of Bhagavad-Gita, advises go-raksya, which means cow protection. The cow should be protected, milk should be drawn from the cows, and this milk should be prepared in various ways. One should take ample milk, and thus one can prolong one's life, develop his brain, execute devotional service, and ultimately attain the favor of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. As it is essential to get food grains and water by digging the earth, it is also essential to give protection to the cows and take nectarean milk from their milk bags."

Another reason for milk's consumption is given here. "Animal fat is available in the form of milk, which is the most wonderful of all foods. Milk, butter, cheese and similar products give animal fat in a form which rules out any need for the killing of innocent creatures. It is only through brute mentality that this killing goes on. The civilized method of obtaining needed fat is by milk."

Our position on milk drinking as taught in the Vedic literature is summed up in the following words spoken by a disciple of Srila Prabhupada (Madhudvisa dasa), who was with his spiritual master speaking to a Dr. Muncing.....

Madhudvisa: "One thing that we would like to mention, as our spiritual master says, there is a definite, according to the Vedic scripture, there is a definite link between consumption of milk and development of fine brain tissues. And if your department of knowledge has some research in that area, we think it would be a great service to mankind if they can be informed how they can develop fine brain tissues. Fine brain tissues which are needed for coping with the problems of this day and age. Not that simply if I disagree with you we'll just fight. There has to be fine brain tissues in order to say, 'Let us sit down and talk about this together. ' And we say, not we, but according to the scripture, there is a definite link between the consumption of milk products, not just milk, but cheese and all different milk products, the consumption of milk products and development of the necessary intellect. This is why, as our spiritual master said, the highly intelligent people of India have lived predominantly, not just drinking milk, but everything they ate was cooked in milk products. The vegetables, rice, even if rice was boiled, milk was put on, ghee was put on the rice. So that is like an unavoidable essential in their diet, not simply from the palatable standpoint, but actually from the relationship between the physical and the metaphysical progress."

I have submitted this document in all humility to the Vaisnavas. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

"The cow delivers milk, the miracle of aggregate food values." (Srila Prabhupada)

Sincerely,

Mahananda dasa

----------

Apparently Mahananda dasa did not pay attention to his own article.

Here again is the first sentence:

"
The
protection
of cows maintains the most miraculous form of food, i.e., milk for maintaining the finer tissues of the brain for understanding higher aims of life." Srila Prabhupada

Mahananda dasa needs to understand the difference of protecting cows and exploiting cows.

Another question is ifthis commercial milk is so essential for the development of fine brain tissues why is America so lacking in spiritual consciousness?

Cow's mail is one of the factor is Type 1 diabetes.

Not me but science has proved this,search google for more info.

Remember only humans drink milk while rest all animals stop drinking milk after they grow up,new born babies dont have any cholestrol in their blood but once they grow up their blood contains cholestrol afterwards.This line was discussed widely in recent cardiac conference in Bangalore and many leading doctors spoke why humans take milk after childhood and their bad effects afterwards.

Fact is milk is good but when it requires,not all the time.

Hari Om tat sat.

This is indeed a wonderful post describing that human beings dont NEED to kill animals in order to remain "healthy" or to "progress". A highly civilized society is not the one that develops in terms of material gains, by slaughtering animals, and churning out everything mother Earth has to offer to us. Society can only progress when we as humans learn to live in harmony not only within ourselves but with our relation to our mother Earth.

We dont need to kill our cows or any other animals in order to progress, this wisdom was long inculcated in the minds of those who were spiritually advanced.

Another question is ifthis commercial milk is so essential for the development of fine brain tissues why is America so lacking in spiritual consciousness?

Your question about Americans lancking in spiritual consciousness, I wouldnt generalize for ALL Americans though, but may apply to those living there who have never come across any devotional mercy about way of living real "civilized" way.

Drinking cokes and eating at McDonalds and brutally killing animal and depleting nature of its real wealth, the weath of our relation to animals, will not lead to any advancement materially what to speak of spiritually.

Yes it is a generalization about America but I have lived here all my life and Americans gorge themselves on milk products as well as meat and it is a very materialistic and coarse culture and I see no evidence of finer brain tissues being developed from all the dairy consumption.

I do recognize the exceptions as well. Your point is well taken OmHari.

A side note on McDonalds. Did you know that McDonalds has a presence in India. In fact there is one on the main road from Dehli to Agra call Mathura Road. It is located near the turn off from Mathura road to Vrndavan.

I stayed in MVT while in Vrndavan and one day Gargamuni das who was enterting the gate to MVT just before me turned to me while pointing to a discarded McDonalds wrapper littered on the ground before the gate and remarked, "this is the most obscene thing I have seen". It was shocking to me also, such a thing lying in the Holy Dust of Ramana Reti where Krishna plays with His calves and cowherds.

Yes it is a generalization about America but I have lived here all my life and Americans gorge themselves on milk products as well as meat and it is a very materialistic and coarse culture and I see no evidence of finer brain tissues being developed from all the dairy consumption.

I do recognize the exceptions as well. Your point is well taken OmHari.

A side note on McDonalds. Did you know that McDonalds has a presence in India. In fact there is one on the main road from Dehli to Agra call Mathura Road. It is located near the turn off from Mathura road to Vrndavan.

I stayed in MVT while in Vrndavan and one day Gargamuni das who was enterting the gate to MVT just before me turned to me while pointing to a discarded McDonalds wrapper littered on the ground before the gate and remarked, "this is the most obscene thing I have seen". It was shocking to me also, such a thing lying in the Holy Dust of Ramana Reti where Krishna plays with His calves and cowherds.

I am aware of this , unfortunately these nature depleting corporates are establishing their bases whereever they can foot in. I am not from America but even in India these days, people are blindly following on the footmarks of these so called materially "advanced" nations instead of keeping and preserving own traditions which is so in harmony with mother Earth. Look at the younger generations, they are keen on eating "out" at fancy restaurants which SERVE no purpose other than feeding the crowd with their fried junkies wrapped nicely outwardly (which ends up in litters anyway) and putting up an "ambience " . These youths even consider drinking carobonated pesticides "cool" . In fact tag line I heard in one of the commercials was "Jo chaaho ho jaaye C***Cola Enjoy" which translates into " Whatever you wish will happen" , you enjoy this drink. I would wish they stop stealing our waters, and stop digging on the wells that are meant for quenching the water needs of the locals.

One can't have it both ways. If you support the dairy industry you support the mistreatment of cows and veal production. If milk is important to spiritual development then why not establish KC dairies and only accept milk from them? Wouldn't that satisfy everything? BTW, milk does not contain all vitamins, perhaps Swami Prabhupada was referring to all the essential

amino acids.

Milk... Krsna's Miracle Gift To Mankind
BY: MAHANANDA DASA

Jul 19, USA (SUN) — Vegan or not Vegan, which is correct?

"
The protection of cows maintains the most miraculous form of food, i.e., milk for maintaining the finer tissues of the brain for understanding higher aims of life." Srila Prabhupada

In response to the article posted on Sampradaya Sun promoting veganism in ISKCON temples, I would like to present our view of milk drinking that we have accepted from our spiritual master.

Despite the evils of modern dairies and the cruel methods of obtaining milk from the mother cows, or despite the unwanted chemicals that store bought milk might introduce into your body and cause ill effects, still, we do not condemn drinking milk nor support veganism as part of our philosophy.

Quite the contrary. The glories of drinking cow's milk are everywhere in Srila Prabhupada's books. And though this may cause some doubts in the minds of those who have embraced vegan-ism, we as devotees faithfully follow the advice of our teacher, though it is sometimes contrary to fads or scientific theory.

To sometimes reject scientific evidence is basic to a devotee's understanding of how to reach real knowledge of the actual condition of the living entities, both spiritually and materially. In a few years, vegans may become milk drinkers, or theorist may change their minds many times about the affects of milk, but a devotee remains steady and accepts the Vedic version as it is handed down through disciplic succession.

Among the few thousands references to milk in Srila Prabhupada's books and lectures, I would like to point out a few here that will give a different perspective of drinking milk than that of the vegans. Srila Prabhupada says. ''Cow has got special importance because it supplies milk, and milk is very essential food that is... From the childhood, a child lives on milk, and there are many saintly persons, they also live by drinking milk. Milk is very important item in the human society, and it supplies all vitamins. "

Also he says "But He's (Krsna) speaking of go-raksya for our special material benefit, that if we protect the cows, we can have the facility of drinking milk, which will help us in keeping our health in order and developing very nice brain tissues to understand spiritual subject matter."

Of course, like the vegans, we condemn the inhuman treatment of the cows at the dairies and slaughterhouses. Srila Prabhupada says "the cow's calf not only is beautiful to look at, but also gives satisfaction to the cow, and so she delivers as much milk as possible. But in the Kali-yuga, the calves are separated from the cows as early as possible for purposes which may not be mentioned in these pages of Srimad-Bhagavatam. The cow stands with tears in her eyes, the sudra milkman draws milk from the cow artificially, and when there is no milk the cow is sent to be slaughtered. These greatly sinful acts are responsible for all the troubles in present society. People do not know what they are doing in the name of economic development."

Srila Prabhupada also instructed us, "Milk is compared to nectar, which one can drink to become immortal. Of course, simply drinking milk will not make one immortal, but it can increase the duration of one's life. In modern civilization, men do not think milk to be important, and therefore they do not live very long. Although in this age men can live up to one hundred years, their duration of life is reduced because they do not drink large quantities of milk. This is a sign of Kali-yuga. In Kali-yuga, instead of drinking milk, people prefer to slaughter an animal and eat its flesh. The Supreme Personality of Godhead, in His instructions of Bhagavad-Gita, advises go-raksya, which means cow protection. The cow should be protected, milk should be drawn from the cows, and this milk should be prepared in various ways. One should take ample milk, and thus one can prolong one's life, develop his brain, execute devotional service, and ultimately attain the favor of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. As it is essential to get food grains and water by digging the earth, it is also essential to give protection to the cows and take nectarean milk from their milk bags."

Another reason for milk's consumption is given here. "Animal fat is available in the form of milk, which is the most wonderful of all foods. Milk, butter, cheese and similar products give animal fat in a form which rules out any need for the killing of innocent creatures. It is only through brute mentality that this killing goes on. The civilized method of obtaining needed fat is by milk."

Our position on milk drinking as taught in the Vedic literature is summed up in the following words spoken by a disciple of Srila Prabhupada (Madhudvisa dasa), who was with his spiritual master speaking to a Dr. Muncing.....

Madhudvisa: "One thing that we would like to mention, as our spiritual master says, there is a definite, according to the Vedic scripture, there is a definite link between consumption of milk and development of fine brain tissues. And if your department of knowledge has some research in that area, we think it would be a great service to mankind if they can be informed how they can develop fine brain tissues. Fine brain tissues which are needed for coping with the problems of this day and age. Not that simply if I disagree with you we'll just fight. There has to be fine brain tissues in order to say, 'Let us sit down and talk about this together. ' And we say, not we, but according to the scripture, there is a definite link between the consumption of milk products, not just milk, but cheese and all different milk products, the consumption of milk products and development of the necessary intellect. This is why, as our spiritual master said, the highly intelligent people of India have lived predominantly, not just drinking milk, but everything they ate was cooked in milk products. The vegetables, rice, even if rice was boiled, milk was put on, ghee was put on the rice. So that is like an unavoidable essential in their diet, not simply from the palatable standpoint, but actually from the relationship between the physical and the metaphysical progress."

I have submitted this document in all humility to the Vaisnavas. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

"The cow delivers milk, the miracle of aggregate food values." (Srila Prabhupada)

Sincerely,

Mahananda dasa

----------

Apparently Mahananda dasa did not pay attention to his own article.

Here again is the first sentence:

Mahananda dasa needs to understand the difference of protecting cows and exploiting cows.

When I buy broccoli in the supermarket, I give money to the store owner so he can buy a steak, to the cashier who will buy a hamburger, to the truck driver who will buy a pepperoni pizza, to the packager who will buy a leather belt, to the farmer who grew the crop who bought a leather coat with it, to the man who made that leather coat who will buy a steak with it, to the ......., and on and on.

It's an ugly world. Support zero consumption. Breathe air and eat fruit fallen from trees. Sleep under a different tree every night.

When I buy broccoli in the supermarket, I give money to the store owner so he can buy a steak, to the cashier who will buy a hamburger, to the truck driver who will buy a pepperoni pizza, to the packager who will buy a leather belt, to the farmer who grew the crop who bought a leather coat with it, to the man who made that leather coat who will buy a steak with it, to the ......., and on and on.

lolz

Support zero consumption. Breathe air and eat fruit fallen from trees. Sleep under a different tree every night.

I would certainly love to be in that mood.

Bhakti is the mean.

gHari's arguement is an old one I have offered by the meat eaters against vegetarians and vegan who protest eating meat.

Buying milk from enslaved and slaughtered cows is direct support to the cow killers and bears no resemblance to the scenario he presents.

When you purchase meat or milk that is a direct request for them to slaughter more cows. It's called demand and supply as they replace that which you purchased.

Silly word games won't free you from the karma.

It's an ugly world. Support zero consumption. Breathe air and eat fruit fallen from trees. Sleep under a different tree every night.

Who is responsible in the process of this brutal slaughtering of animals?

One who permits the slaughter of an animal

One who cuts it up

One who kills it

One who buys or sells meat

One who cooks it

One who serves it up,

And one who eats it, must all be considered as the slayers of the animal

I do agree with Theist what he speaks on demand and supply (If you eat meat your are directly responsible as already I mentioned above)

I do agree with Theist what he speaks on demand and supply (If you eat meat you are directly responsible as already I mentioned above)

But the question relates to people who buy milk, not meat. Female cows are allowed to live a while because their milk produces revenue for the exploiters. If the cows were only good for meat, they would be murdered after fattening, along with the males. Is this what we want?

Try to understand this sentence from Srila Prabhupada.

"The protection of cows maintains the most miraculous form of food, i.e., milk for maintaining the finer tissues of the brain for understanding higher aims of life." Srila Prabhupada

But aren't veal calves a necessary product of the repeated isemination of dairy cattle? Please tell me what should be done with all the male calves that are born as a result of that process. I am sincerely asking for an answer because I don't know if there is a workable economic model that can meet current US demand and also protect cows.

But the question relates to people who buy milk, not meat. Female cows are allowed to live a while because their milk produces revenue for the exploiters. If the cows were only good for meat, they would be murdered after fattening, along with the males. Is this what we want?

The zoo.

Send them to India.

Scrap the tractor.

It's a tough problem - we don't want to end the cow species.

Maybe the machines will run out of gas and live male cows will come back into style. Maybe kindness and decency will come back into vogue.

At Ratha-Yatra I was actually wondering how in twenty years we'll acommodate the million Torontonians who will show up to take Lord Jagannatha down Yonge Street.

There is hope.

But the question relates to people who buy milk, not meat.Female cows are allowed to live a while because their milk produces revenue for the exploiters.
So because cows marked for dairy production are allowed to live a little longer before being slaughtered it makes it ok?!? They are allowed to live by the demon exploiters because they want to 1) profit off their milk production. 2) profit off the sale of calves to be slaughtered for veal. 3) Produce more female calves for dairy production replacing their mothers when the mothers are sent to slaughter.

If the cows were only good for meat, they would be murdered after fattening, along with the males. Is this what we want?
Did it ever occur to you that animals like cows have a God given life unto themselves? You have bought into the demonic idea that their only purpose was for the sense pleasure of human beings.

There is no way to tweek the factory farming process here and there to make any aspect of it ok, as in letting some live longer while they are being exploited for their milk before being slaughtered is tolerable somehow.

[...]You have bought into the demonic idea that their only purpose was for the sense pleasure of human beings. [...]

Where would you get an idea like that? You must think I'm a real moron. And that's okay, but don't expect me to respect anything further anyone like that might say.

The zoo.

Send them to India.

Scrap the tractor.

It's a tough problem - we don't want to end the cow species.

Maybe the machines will run out of gas and live male cows will come back into style. Maybe kindness and decency will come back into vogue.

There is hope.

Kindness and decency means you stop supporting cow slaughter just so you can have a glass of milk with your breakfast. Give up your wishing for "hope" and do something practical.

All I know is that Prabhupada said that devotees should take dairy milk, and that it would be much better if they could establish goshallas themselves, Laxshmi allowing. As far as I understand, Narayana Maharaja and Sridhar Maharaj made similar statements.

Prabhupada was well aware of the sidelines of the dairy industry, etc, but he still said, we shall take milk and offer it to Krishna.

So I couldn't call it intellectually consistent for a Gaudiya Vaisnava to be a Vegan on ethical grounds. To me, Veganism would be a condemnation of Prabhupada, saying that he is like a meat eater etc.

Fine, it's your choice. According to you one can't be a Gaudiya Vaisnava without drinking milk. I don'r share that opinion.

For me the emphasis should be on cow protection and not drinking the milk of enslaved, ill-treated and soon to be slaughtered cows.

Why is emphasis not given to SLAUGHTERING which is where the REAL IMMEDIATE problem is.

Also in dairy, the cows are not treated nicely(they are treated technolgocially,cruelly and at times unnaturally for more production and not with love, Hari Loves cows, He would not like them to be tortured like this)

As a devotee, we worshop our relationship with go-mata, we must not let them succumb into the hands of these cold blooded murderers.

Theistji, you are making a firm standing for the unprotected cows, which is very appreciable.

As Haridasji said, all devotees are pure vegetarians (which itself is also a big plus in my books) so more focus should be on cow protection.

I am not lactose-intolerant, but I cannot tolerate mistreatment of any animals what to speak of cows.

So, I think it is better if we all prefer to consume milk from protected cows, it would encourage the local farming where they would treat her nicely , Let us spread the word " This is not right. No animal should be treated in factories like this. Stop alll this."

I am not lactose-intolerant, but I cannot tolerate mistreatment of any animals what to speak of cows.

This is real sacrifice. I have no choice being allergic to the milk protein so my "sacrifice" is slight. But I can speak out on their behalf and also the chickens, pigs and other victims of the hellish factory farms and this can be my sacrifice.

A religious life cannot become truly a spiritual life without compassion. So we must cultivate this compassion in all aspects of our lives.