IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
murali334

why we should not eat meat?

Rate this topic

I have always wondered in my childhood days why my parents always say that i should not eat meat ...

But they could not explain a real reason for it...

They will say that you cannot kill and eat and they think its because

animals might have some disease and you may get it (which i could not accept).

But now i found out a explanation for it...

According to vedic system there are three modes of living,

1. Mode of goodness – In this mode you follow all the basic rules and you do chanting.

2. Mode of Passion – If you are following the basic rules but you don’t chant and you are in constant passion. Like we want to see places we want to buy different things and desires are more.

3. Mode of Ignorance – If you eat meat you are in this mode.

Even the Vedas are divided according to these 3 modes.

People in different modes need to read different vedas.

is this the correct explanation....Please share your views...

OM NAMA SHIVAYA

Those are good reasons and also if you are concerned with karma then you do not want to acquire your food though violence. if you kill yourself or have another kill for you it is the same - violence to please the palate. definitely not the mode of sattva.

Just a thought that came to my mind.

What would u say about TAKING the milk away from the calf - and drinking it. Cow does not willingly gives it away. I think even that is wrong.

What are your thoughts.

I have always wondered in my childhood days why my parents always say that i should not eat meat ...

1. Mode of goodness – In this mode you follow all the basic rules and you do chanting.

2. Mode of Passion – If you are following the basic rules but you don’t chant and you are in constant passion. Like we want to see places we want to buy different things and desires are more.

OM NAMA SHIVAYA

Jai Sriman Narayana:

I found the below in some article in hinduismtoday digital magazine.:

Hinduism Today Magazine

I am not a regular reader but just happened to come across this when browsing.

When a helpless animal is killed by deliberate act of violence, it dies in great dreed. Its body is flush with harmones produced by fear. These toxic substances enter the body of the person who eats the flesh and adversely affects his or her body and mind. I have always wondered, how can the carcass of an animal that died in moral fear give good health and refined spiritual inclinations to its consumer.

By eating meat, one is taking part in a conspiracy of violence against helpless animals. We can choose not to eat meat. A chicken cannot choose not to become a burger or 2 KFC drumsticks. She is born a prisoner, born for the sole reason of being fattened up and murdered so people can gratify their senses by eating her dead flesh.

Lord Krishna states in the Gita:

"The humble sages, by virtue of true knowledge, see with equal vision a learned and gentle brāhmaṇa, a cow, an elephant, a dog and a dog-eater [outcaste]." (Bhagavad-Gita 5:18)

The wise understand that the soul is the same no matter whether it is in a human body, a cow's body or a dog's body. Only the body is different. Animals have a soul just like ours, so they are our brothers and sisters. Would you kill your brother and eat him? No. So why should you kill animals, who are also your brothers, and eat their flesh which is brutally cut from their slaughtered bodies?

Just a thought that came to my mind.

What would u say about TAKING the milk away from the calf - and drinking it. Cow does not willingly gives it away. I think even that is wrong.

What are your thoughts.

Well in a civilized society, the cow is fed, and after that, the cow is milked and humans take the remainder.

Between that time and the next feeding time of the calf, the mother will have produced more milk.

I've seen this practiced, and cows provide loads of milk anyway, more than a calf can drink.

What was Krishna's childhood occupation?

OM NAMA SHIVAYA

Yea, that's one of many arguments from a vedic perspective. As well as that you have the basic ethics of it, you are killing unnecessarily for no reason other than to satisfy your senses. When you have plenty of other food available, it's not easy to justify meat eating.

Many meat eaters will come up with this argument or that argument, but would they wear fur? Usually not. Why not? Because they think it is cruel to kill an animal for your own enjoyment. Okay then, but what is meat eating? It is proven scientifically as not only unnecessary for good health, but also very impractical unless you live in a desert or on a tropical island or something and you just cant grow crops.

I'm not even going to talk about the environmental implications, it's just an all round bad idea (but you probably won't get a disease).

Good people, bad habits, that's what I say.