IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
galaxy18

About Food

Rate this topic

Thank You Chanduji.

Those who want scriptural ref. can skim through Varaha Purana,Padma purana,Garuda purana, and Hari BhaktiVilas (as Galaxy has already mentioned) , also read Ayurveda (Foods inducing vata pitta kapha ... ) .

Food offered to Sri Hari (Vishnu Tattva) has to be Sattvic.

since you have already gone through all of them please be generous enough to specify the verses so that people can find it with ease without requiring to read through all the books ! :)

What does it mean rk?

ah...never mind what it ,means !!

it refers to ramakrishna . the three aspects of chandu's posts are :

-showing to the world how vile and wretched islam is !

-how dangerous and murderous "neo-hindus" are !!

-how criminal ramakrishna was !!

theres not a single post without reference to atleast any one from these three . go to his profile and check his 'find all posts' to see what i mean !:)

I would prefer jaggery over sugar, but sometimes its unavoidable esp in the west.

About overeating , I agree, where half the world goes starved , its only wise to not to indulge in overeating, whenever possible.

I think we should not waste "prasada"

We must cook food as much as necessary, if we plan to eat out at friends or family,etc, we must in advance inform how much our host can prepare.

I dont know how its in temples usually where food is prepared in huge quantities

I would prefer jaggery over sugar, but sometimes its unavoidable esp in the west.

I try to use jaggery when possible, otherwise organic raw-cane-sugar (or Turbinado).

You may be aware of the fact that refined sugar in some western countries is processed thru' bone. This is a problem for some , and not for others. Some organic cane sugars which are naturally crystallized do not have this problem.

Jai Sri Krshna

since you have already gone through all of them please be generous enough to specify the verses so that people can find it with ease without requiring to read through all the books ! :)

What ? Of course i haven't gone thru' all of them ! I am not the one who is doubting what the acharyas have said.

If i come across anything specific i shall post it. The Manu Samhita talks about onion, garlic, leeks.

Onions & Garlic in relation to Vaishnavism

The Lord has given us the guidelines, and He guides us from within. Please read post #42.

Did you look at the "List of Sattvic Foods" and other links i posted ?

It says some unsprouted lentils are rajasic. This could very well be masoor daal. Black-eye peas (chavli) is listed as Sattvic. The AyurShop website has good information. Let us first ask Lord Dhanvantari, the Lord's incarnation as the Divine Physician, for His blessings.

What ? Of course i haven't gone thru' all of them ! I am not the one who is doubting what the acharyas have said.

true , but you are the one who is also claiming it and therefore its your duty to show the places ..

If i come across anything specific i shall post it. The Manu Samhita talks about onion, garlic, leeks.

i shall wait . by the way i was not talking about onion and garlic . i was concentrating on massor dal , carrots radish etc

but apart from scriptures perhaps you could also provide with some logic so as to why these things are forbidden . if carrots and raddish is forbidden because they grow underground then why are potatoes eaten ? what about turmeric ? why is milf sattvick and dal not ? what might be the simple logic behind this ?

ah...never mind what it ,means !!

it refers to ramakrishna . the three aspects of chandu's posts are :

-showing to the world how vile and wretched islam is !

-how dangerous and murderous "neo-hindus" are !!

-how criminal ramakrishna was !!

theres not a single post without reference to atleast any one from these three . go to his profile and check his 'find all posts' to see what i mean !:)

Pure calumny.Sure,go through all my posts, especially at http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/spiritual-discussions/454643-what-s-name-2.html

Pure calumny.

not at all .............the one or two texts that doesnt have such topics are pure exceptions ............and we all know everything has its exceptions !!:)

anyways interested readers would judge that themselves .........i just expressed what i repetitively notice in your posts !!

For those who are citing quotes from Manu Smriti,

The Manu Smriti was one of the first Sanskrit texts studied by the British. It was first translated into English by the founder of indology, Sir William Jones. His version was published in 1794. British administrative requirements encouraged their interest in the Dharmashastras, which they believed to be legal codes. In fact, these were not codes of law but norms related to social obligations and ritual requirements.

According to Avari:

The text was never universally followed or acclaimed by the vast majority of Indians in their history; it came to the world's attention through a late eighteenth-century translation by Sir William Jones, who mistakenly exaggerated both its antiquity and its importance. Today many of its ideas are popularised as the golden norm of classical Hindu law by Hindu universalists. They are, however, anathema to modern thinkers and particularly feminists.

And I know many Vaishnav families just one or two generations back, who did not have oil tadka for food, neither did they have tea,what to speak of coffee, and I also came to know they were not eating sugar, as it was not sattvic. They drank milk only from their own cows or goats, not the one from factories these days. All this only few decades ago in India, what to speak of centuries before.

So the milk taken from cows who are not treated with love, but rather tortured inside factories, is not Sattvic, not in goodness, forgive me.

true , but you are the one who is also claiming it and therefore its your duty to show the places ..

but apart from scriptures perhaps you could also provide with some logic so as to why these things are forbidden . if carrots and raddish is forbidden because they grow underground then why are potatoes eaten ? what about turmeric ? why is milf sattvick and dal not ? what might be the simple logic behind this ?

The original poster has posted injunctions for those interested in Hari Bhakti.

Those who feel any preliminary inclination , fondness or love for Hari will find the reasons very obvious and not need any Manu Samhita or puranas. Hari will make it clear as Supersoul from within their heart.

One may not feel a natural inclination towards Him, yet their interest in Sattvic Diet can be explained thru' Ayurveda.

MILK

Commercial Milk from unprotected cows is not Sattvic.

DefN: Unprotected : whose calves get slaughtered, who are given hormonal injections to increase milk production, who get slaughtered when they are of no use as milk machines, who barely see any fresh air or lush green grass.

Milk is Sattvic when it comes from happy cows who are protected, loved and treated correctly.

I am vegan from my side. My arguments for Dahi and paneer are applicable only for ahimsa milk, from protected cows who are not going to the slaughterhouses or seperated from their calves. I thought you would read that from my comment on feeding Krshna manasi Rasgullas with milk from His Surabhi cows. Sorry about not making this clear.

The temples in Vrndavan and Mayapur use milk from their beloved protected cows. They have Goshalas and make milk sweets for Radha Shyamsunder.

Other elevated Vaishnavas offer milk from unprotected cows only with a hope to bless and liberate the Go Matas who just fed Krshna by that offering. Not because they want to drink milk. Their pure bhakti enables them to do that. That doesn't mean we should apply this reasoning and keep supporting the dairy and meat industry.

MASOOR DAAL

From Ayurveda

Rajasic food ...all whole pulses and dals, which are not sprouted...

Satvic food is one that can be digested easily and brings balance ton one's mind. It helps in building immunity and improving the healing response in those who are unwell. Satvic food all food closest to the natural form and includes milk, milk products, fruits, most fresh vegetable except garlic, onion, scallions, and chives.

While grain cereals like most lentils, sprouts and natural sweeteners like jaggery, honey are also included in Satvic diet. Also included in this category are the natural oils like ghee, butter and vegetable oils.

Satvic food is moderately cooked with few spices and less fat. Chillies and black pepper are not used in cooking. Common spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, aniseed and cardamom are, however, used in Satvic cooking....

Ayurveda Food Types Satvic, Rajsic & Tamsic - AyurShop.com

It says "grain cereals like most lentils". NOT ALL LENTILS.

MOST includes mung daal and toor dal (list of Sattvic foods), and acharyas tell us it excludes masoor daal.

One who is not interested in Hari Bhakti is free to either ignore this or do their own research if interested in Sattvic diet.

RADISH

Radish has a bad effervessence. Offensive for Krshna. It may have some chemicals and bad salts too. Plus it can be eaten raw and Ayurveda says raw from the soil is decease prone and not sattvic. Hing on the other hand, offsets the odor effervessence of mung , cabbage and other foods. So its Sattvic.

Again this injuction was for those interested in Hari Bhakti. Those who are only interested in sattva can do the research.

Turmeric is so medicinal that it prevents Alzeimers among other things. It is always well cooked.

Similar is the case with ginger.

Potatoes are never eaten raw, however some Ayurveda sites list them as rajasic. They are a comfort food for sure. Starch.

Carrots - i never saw them listed as anything but sattvic. Perhaps raw is not recommended. I do not know.

I am only trying to help you Sambyaji. So please look into any Ayurveda you can find. I have already given a few links. Granted, they are not direct scripture. Here is the wikepedia on Sattvic food :

Sattvic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And OmHari Ji, why some vaishnavas distribute gulab jamun and samosa as

Sunday feast or festival prasadam is an entirely different topic we can go into later. (Would you rather have a teenager come to the temple and eat samosa or go to a rock concert and drown in alcohol ?)

Jai Sri Krshna

Edited by smaranam

and I also came to know they were not eating sugar, as it was not sattvic. They drank milk only from their own cows or goats, not the one from factories these days. All this only few decades ago in India, what to speak of centuries before.

sure ................. even today jaggery is used in poojas instead of sugar as it comes from factories . threads are not used to make garlands because they are made in factories . ancient temples uses banana fibres instead !

i was wondering whether there is any place in any accepted scriptures (not obscure ones) where krishna himself says that he doesnt eat these foods(including non-veg items) !!

although personally i can never recomend or support giving non-veg items to bhagavan ( even to kali or durga ) .

but this question still lingers in my mind . anyone has an answer ?

i was wondering whether there is any place in any accepted scriptures (not obscure ones) where krishna himself says that he doesnt eat these foods(including non-veg items) !!

although personally i can never recomend or support giving non-veg items to bhagavan ( even to kali or durga ) .

None of course. The line between religion and local culture is often blurred, resulting in this confusion. Does Krishna give special preference to people who follow a desi diet, just because he lived in India? Or does Jesus favor those who eat a middle eastern diet? Diet is not a factor at all. It is simply the local cultural trend that has been added to religion.

One Hare Krishna said on this forum that Krishna recommends vegetarianism in the Gita. When asked for evidence, his reasoning was the the leaf, flower, water verse is about vegetarianism! People will see what they want to see.

Cheers

I still dont understand why carrots,radish,onion,garlic,masoor dal, cannot be considered offerable whereas, chillies, pepper,mustard seeds,hing,ginger, potato, frozen canned food stuffs, can be offered. And please reply Is ONLY SAATTVIC food offerable?

Chillies and Potato are not on the banned list because they came to India much much later than carrots and radish. These books on prohibitions were written before the potato arrived in India and the authors did not know about the potato.

Note that the Indian diet has changed a lot in the last 200 years after the import of chillies and potatoes. It is hard to imagine Indian cooking today without these key ingredients.

Cheers

Krsna says when He`s offered a flower, water, grain or leaf, He accepts them. Nor have I read a verse in the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad Bhagavatam that Krsna accepted and ate non-vege stuff. There`s a verse, however, in the Bible indicating that Christ ate fish, a non-vege. But that`s another story.

Krsna says when He`s offered a flower, water, grain or leaf, He accepts them. Nor have I read a verse in the Bhagavad-gita and Srimad Bhagavatam that Krsna accepted and ate non-vege stuff. There`s a verse, however, in the Bible indicating that Christ ate fish, a non-vege. But that`s another story.

It is just leaf, flower, water & fruit...no grain. And Krishna does not say that was his diet. That is just people letting their imaginations run wild. If Krishna - or anyone else - was on a diet of leaves, flowers and water, they would suffer from chronic anemia and would be unable to get out of bed. The verse does not mention rice, bread, yoghurt, carrot halwa and unripe mangoes. What is gonna happen to people who have been eating these items?

Stop reading your own wishes into the Gita and be honest. That verse has nothing to do with diet and no commentator worth his salt, has ever interpreted it that way.

Cheers

It is just leaf, flower, water & fruit...no grain. And Krishna does not say that was his diet. That is just people letting their imaginations run wild. If Krishna - or anyone else - was on a diet of leaves, flowers and water, they would suffer from chronic anemia and would be unable to get out of bed. The verse does not mention rice, bread, yoghurt, carrot halwa and unripe mangoes. What is gonna happen to people who have been eating these items?

Stop reading your own wishes into the Gita and be honest. That verse has nothing to do with diet and no commentator worth his salt, has ever interpreted it that way.

Cheers

Oops, sorry. Of course, Krsna also ate rice, bread, fruits, etc. I thought non-veg food includes sea foods like sea weeds, fish. This was just reaction to what Sambya wrote that he would not likely offer non-veg food to a Bhavagan( or even to Kali or Durga). That I`m just telling him there`s a verse indicating Christ ate fish, a non-veg diet. But saying I stop reading my own wishes into the Gita and be honest. That the verse Krsna accepting a leaf, water, flower or grain has nothing to do with diet and no commentator worth his salt has ever interpreted it that way doesn`t answer Sambya`s question. Why you always talk that way?

sure ................. even today jaggery is used in poojas instead of sugar as it comes from factories . threads are not used to make garlands because they are made in factories . ancient temples uses banana fibres instead !

Even few decades back, people lived on much more simpler food (Sattvic ahar) than what is today. I spoke with those who had been living in villages, small towns, and they said in their earlier times, didnt use oil, sugar,tea,coffee,fried things...I like imagining how it would have been even few centuries back or even thousands of years back...People were full of "sattva" and so their simple diet...

Talking about garlands, I sometimes cannot see how the needle pierces through the tender leaves or flowers, if leaf and flower is so offerable how do we do garland without even needles. I heard people wore cloths that had not been stitched. Earlier times sari didnt look like how it is now, used to be unstitched and certainly not a fashion garment, and so was Dhoti. Today there is so much of contamination, most things have to pass through factory of some kind, what we eat or what we wear.

About what to offer to Hari, I think being vegetarian is very important if we want to know about loving God or loving others or even self. If we worship deities but dont respect the Supersoul present in other life forms, then we cannot understand love for Hari.

LOGIC :

Krshna is on the Shuddha Sattvic plane. He is all transcendence. Vishnu Tattva. So far so good.

He is the friend of all living entities (Bhagvad Gita)

If He is the chicken's friend and goat's friend He will not eat them.

In fact He does not need anything from us , except Love.

Yes, "Patram Pushpam Phalam Toyam with Bhakti " is not about diet , here Krshna is simply stressing on the fact that He succumbs only to Bhaava, Love, of His devotee. That's the bottom line.

However, things go hand in hand. They are interconnected. Bhakti is not just for Krshna in the Deity. Its seeing Krshna everywhere. Compassion for all creatures means seeing the Lord in their heart.

Where does it say this in Scripture ? Bhagvad Gita , Uddhav Gita , all Upanishads, Sattvic puranas......all over Vedanta.

Now please don't start about breathing germs , stepping on bugs etc. One step at a time.

He does not stop any of His children from eating another in the ecosystem.

HE GIVES US FREE WILL. a) Illusiory pleasure OR b) spirituality.

Choice One : Stay in the material plane and in the ecocycle. Free will and no interest in spiritual advancement. e.g. Maintaining or supporting the slaughterhouses. Something others in the ecocycle can't do. Tigers cannot maintain such houses.

Choice Two : Spiritual advancement for one's own good. Its about being one's own friend and one's own foe (Bh Gita). Elevation of Consciousness includes 'jeev-daya'.

Choice Two-and-a-half : Interest in spirituality but duty-bound to the material world.

The meaning is implied, and even spelled out for us.

Again, striking a balance between Parmartha and Vyavahaar i.e. spirituality and practical life, requires some tricks. Supersoul and spiritual leaders come to the rescue.

Many of us cannot follow all these rules Galaxy has given , obviously.

- Many of us have to cook with onion for our family, eat leftovers from the fridge (Anna - food is PUrna-Brahman'),

- please our relatives and friends when visiting each other,

- Make laddoos for the children, in the process eat at least some natural sugar as they wouldn't accept jaggery, to make sure they don't run to the store for Tamasic goodies.

- sadly, some people have to even cook or buy non-vegetarian food for their near and dear ones.

All this can be done neatly under sva-dharma (duty), Nishkaam Karma Yoga, not archana , and Krshna understands.

** He will answer their prayers, and gradually get them off undesirable duties. In this life and/or the next. Because they tried. **

So we only do the best we can without hurting others.

Krshna will not like it if we simply throw up our hands and complain.

This is not so simple to be put on paper.

~*~*~ The Absolute Truth is not black and white. ~*~*~

Finally,

BG 18.67: This confidential knowledge may never be explained to those who are not austere, or devoted, or engaged in devotional service, nor to one who is envious of Me.

Forgive me Lord, if i have commited this offense. I hope not.

Beautifully explained Smaranamji, all of us living on material plane can try to do our best to offer to Hari with sattva, and ateast be vegetarians.

Edited by OmHari

Beautifully explained Smaranamji, all of us living on material plane can try to do our best to offer to Hari with sattva, and ateast be vegetarians.

Dear Holy Child of Cebu,

I don`t know if you can forgive me. I have been a carnivore all my life. I love to eat fried egg, fish marinated in vinegar with rice. I drink coffee with milk. For lunch I eat pork stew, noodles and rice. I drink ice cold Coca Cola. For dinner, I eat chicken fillet sandwich at Mcdonalds. Drink Nestea.

These are samples of what I eat my Lord. When I attend birthday parties and wedding receptions, I eat food serve as lauriat in a chinese restaurant where they serve cold cuts, steamed lapu-lapu fish with sweet and sour sauce, century eggs, fried chicken, roasted piglet, canton noodles, dumplings, and fried rice.

No matter how I try, I can never detach myself from eating these tamasic foods. I`m a sinner my Lord. But please do forgive my family, too. My friends, my co-workers, the community, the Catholic Church where I was baptized, my mentors at the Colegio del Sto. Nino where I was enrolled from kindergarten to high-school. They taught me that eating meat wasn`t a sin but what comes from the heart like lust, greed, murder, etc.

I may not be like my friends here who are vegetarians my Lord. Hope they can forgive me,too.

Yours truly,

Melvin

(www.basilicadelsantoninodecebu.org.ph)

The original poster has posted injunctions for those interested in Hari Bhakti.

Those who feel any preliminary inclination , fondness or love for Hari will find the reasons very obvious and not need any Manu Samhita or puranas. Hari will make it clear as Supersoul from within their heart.

One may not feel a natural inclination towards Him, yet their interest in Sattvic Diet can be explained thru' Ayurveda.

MILK

Commercial Milk from unprotected cows is not Sattvic.

DefN: Unprotected : whose calves get slaughtered, who are given hormonal injections to increase milk production, who get slaughtered when they are of no use as milk machines, who barely see any fresh air or lush green grass.

Milk is Sattvic when it comes from happy cows who are protected, loved and treated correctly.

I am vegan from my side. My arguments for Dahi and paneer are applicable only for ahimsa milk, from protected cows who are not going to the slaughterhouses or seperated from their calves. I thought you would read that from my comment on feeding Krshna manasi Rasgullas with milk from His Surabhi cows. Sorry about not making this clear.

The temples in Vrndavan and Mayapur use milk from their beloved protected cows. They have Goshalas and make milk sweets for Radha Shyamsunder.

Other elevated Vaishnavas offer milk from unprotected cows only with a hope to bless and liberate the Go Matas who just fed Krshna by that offering. Not because they want to drink milk. Their pure bhakti enables them to do that. That doesn't mean we should apply this reasoning and keep supporting the dairy and meat industry.

MASOOR DAAL

From Ayurveda

Rajasic food ...all whole pulses and dals, which are not sprouted...

Satvic food is one that can be digested easily and brings balance ton one's mind. It helps in building immunity and improving the healing response in those who are unwell. Satvic food all food closest to the natural form and includes milk, milk products, fruits, most fresh vegetable except garlic, onion, scallions, and chives.

While grain cereals like most lentils, sprouts and natural sweeteners like jaggery, honey are also included in Satvic diet. Also included in this category are the natural oils like ghee, butter and vegetable oils.

Satvic food is moderately cooked with few spices and less fat. Chillies and black pepper are not used in cooking. Common spices like turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, coriander, aniseed and cardamom are, however, used in Satvic cooking....

Ayurveda Food Types Satvic, Rajsic & Tamsic - AyurShop.com

It says "grain cereals like most lentils". NOT ALL LENTILS.

MOST includes mung daal and toor dal (list of Sattvic foods), and acharyas tell us it excludes masoor daal.

One who is not interested in Hari Bhakti is free to either ignore this or do their own research if interested in Sattvic diet.

RADISH

Radish has a bad effervessence. Offensive for Krshna. It may have some chemicals and bad salts too. Plus it can be eaten raw and Ayurveda says raw from the soil is decease prone and not sattvic. Hing on the other hand, offsets the odor effervessence of mung , cabbage and other foods. So its Sattvic.

Again this injuction was for those interested in Hari Bhakti. Those who are only interested in sattva can do the research.

Turmeric is so medicinal that it prevents Alzeimers among other things. It is always well cooked.

Similar is the case with ginger.

Potatoes are never eaten raw, however some Ayurveda sites list them as rajasic. They are a comfort food for sure. Starch.

Carrots - i never saw them listed as anything but sattvic. Perhaps raw is not recommended. I do not know.

I am only trying to help you Sambyaji. So please look into any Ayurveda you can find. I have already given a few links. Granted, they are not direct scripture. Here is the wikepedia on Sattvic food :

Sattvic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And OmHari Ji, why some vaishnavas distribute gulab jamun and samosa as

Sunday feast or festival prasadam is an entirely different topic we can go into later. (Would you rather have a teenager come to the temple and eat samosa or go to a rock concert and drown in alcohol ?)

Jai Sri Krshna

I would like to prefer offerings of pure bhaktajans over any indulgence in material world. Thanks for pointing that out. My question was related only with specific "vegetarian" food items, that is unofferable in terms of "gunas"...........

I would like to prefer offerings of pure bhaktajans over any indulgence in material world. Thanks for pointing that out. My question was related only with specific "vegetarian" food items, that is unofferable in terms of "gunas"...........

Your questions led me to explore more into Ayurveda - this is what Gurus call devotee association. How we (our concsiousness) benefit from each other :)