IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
galaxy18

About Food

Rate this topic

Ha ha ha …..What a joke mr sambya.

And even if you say that GV practitioner is taught and wishes to believe that Srimad Bhagavatam is a commentary on the Vedanta sutra.GV belief come from Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who is Krishna himself and the proof of it is there is Vedas ,purana etc (articles regarding lord chaitanya being the supreme lord , who is predicted in the sastra, can be read on indiadivine.org). And Lord Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita Vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyah [bg. 15.15]” By all the Vedas, I am to be known. Indeed, I am the compiler of Vedänta, and I am the knower of the Vedas” Lord Krishna is the ultimate authority. So Lord Krishna and Lord Chaitanya being the same personality if Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu teaches his followers citing from the sastra that Srimad Bhagavatam is a commentary on the Vedanta sutra than that is the proof .Do you have any problem and if so than that’s your problem

look here ....................... when you want to prove your point to a assembly of opposite or non-similar faiths you must draw those references and cite those logics which are commonly acceptable by all the parties present . for example if i am a chaarvak and say that vedas are lie because it says so in my scriptures it doesnt make any sense , does it ? or if i am a tantrik and say to a vaishnava that kali is supreme because my tantric scriptures say so would'nt that be illogical ? you are doing just that while forgetting that chaitanya is not accepted as an avatar in almost all other vaishnava sampradayas , what to speak of other sects like shaktas or shaivas . so what mahaprabhu has said can be of relevence to only those who believe in mahaprabhu and cannot be universally applied as a logic !! so you should try to frame your justification so as to why srimad bhagavatam is a commentary to vedanta sutra from such logic as would be universally apllicable . if you cannot then no discussion can be carried forth due to obvious reasons .

Galaxy18 Ji, take a look at what I said. I simply said that it seems that you don't speak from personal knowledge. I am making an observation and comment about your posting style because I find it unusual. You don't start a discussion, you just copy and paste huge amounts of text.

You say you are full of defects and have no knowledge so you quote sastra, but you really don't do that either. You provide some quotes or passages and just attribute it to this or that Purana without citing the verse numbers for reference. Just look at your first post that began this thread.

I make a very small comment and you get extremely defensive. I don't understand. Why? Why not address these things calmly and thoughtfully thus creating a proper atmosphere for discussion and learning?

Galaxyji I agree when you say, we are limited to our knowledge and that discussions and arguments can go on and on we must just listen to the words of our leaders. Thats what we do, and if we have some questions, I think there should be some room for discussions as well.

I wish you all have beautiful time with devotion to the Supreme,

Hari Om

I still dont understand why carrots,radish,onion,garlic,masoor dal, cannot be considered offerable whereas, chillies, pepper,mustard seeds,hing,ginger, potato, frozen canned food stuffs, can be offered. And please reply Is ONLY SAATTVIC food offerable?

Quote Sastra:

"Ha ha ha …..What a joke mr sambya."

aranya baba:

next time you get a diagnosis from a doctor --do you feel proud to boast, "My doctor never quotes established research --he does what feels right, I guess"???

or when your doctor says, 'You have not followed my advise . . . yet you return and ask for more of my services' --do you feel proud to boast, "My Doctor is so rude and makes me feel sick"?

PS:

Quote Sastra: "Ha ha ha …..What a joke mr sambya."

aranya baba:

next time you get a diagnosis from a doctor --do you feel proud to boast, "My doctor never quotes established research --he does what feels right, I guess"???

or when your doctor says, 'You have not followed my advise . . . yet you return and ask for more of my services' --do you feel proud to boast, "My Doctor is so rude and makes me feel sick"?

What? I have no idea what that means.

You copy & paste so many articles, but . . . unable to answer questions using any knowledge of your own.

take a look at what I said . . . you don't speak from personal knowledge . . . you just copy and paste huge amounts of text.

so you quote sastra, but you really don't do that either. You provide some quotes . . . without citing the verse numbers for reference.

What? I have no idea what that means.

You request "knowledge of your own"

You request "citing the verse numbers for reference"

You request "What does taking instruction from bonefide doctor's doctrine mean?"

I request stop analysing and start contributing to society --do some work (not my speculation just following the sastra).

With all due respect Bhaktajan you have not contributed to anything to this thread. You only popped in to criticize. I was speaking to galaxy18 and not to you. I came and posted useful, legitimate information regarding the proper way to offer bhoga, by the way.

There are also different varities of masoor dal.

Is it only specifically for red masoor dal only? Lentils can be of green variety,are all varieties considered "tamasic".

Nobody answered my hing question, is it satvic? How come Hing is satvic and radish not. You also did not answer, if only "satvic" food is offerable.

If so, then chillies, pepper and other hot things are not offerable as well as any fermented food like cakes,bread,idli,even dahi .

Also fried food is not satvic, so what about it then?

I am wondering where does it mention, what food is satvic and what food is tamasic.

Still waiting for answer to my question. IS only "satvic" food offerable?

I just read this today —some one posted this in 1999:

"Thakura Bhaktivinoda's 'Bhoga Arotika' song appears to apply more to Radha's breakfast offering than it does to Krishna's picnic lunch."

I apollogise to you Aranya Baba. I just now saw your early posting —even so, you wondered if stotrams used in Gaudiya-offerings differ from ISKCON. The answer is no. ISKCON and Gaudiya standards are the highest standards—and they have been taught concerned persons one-by-one in every hill & valley one this planet since 1965 without change.

Sonic yogis postings did not include the standard mantras as spoken by temple priests.

I hesitate to take my own mother's cooking without first observing what you posted at length —I would assume that if you had done "the offering" I wouldn't hesistate to Honor Lord Krishna's prasadam.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hmm . . . 'What did Srila Prabhupada [and/or the 'Vedas'] say about Prasadam?'

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hmm . . . IS only "satvic" food offerable? Yes, but not if you touched your feet with it first. It is a 'standard of operation' that is maintained in 1st Rate Establishments (Mandir) ---whereas any homebody longingly strives as best that they humbly can do. No?

But, I agree SOMEONE ANSWER THE MAN. Hey! Ask Kurma! He'd be glad to respond . . .

I still dont understand why carrots,radish,onion,garlic,masoor dal, cannot be considered offerable whereas, chillies, pepper,mustard seeds,hing,ginger, potato, frozen canned food stuffs, can be offered. And please reply Is ONLY SAATTVIC food offerable?

Naivedya, Food offered to God , has to be not just in the mode of goodness (Satvic) , but in Pure Goodness (shuddha sattva) i.e. transcedental. But, how can we cook material food made up of the 5 elements - earth water fire air ether , and call it transcendental ?

Not. So, we do our best to offer Satvic Food to God, and as soon as He accepts it, it becomes His transcendental Mercy for us - Prasad.

-------------

About the list of foods you mention -

Its the final outcome , preparation that has to be pleasant for the soul and light on the stomach. Then it means God liked it.

Following is what i have learnt from A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad and disciples in the line :

Foods like Onions, Garlic , Mushrooms are Rajasic/Tamasic . Onion and Garlic belong to the allium family whereas mushroom grows in the damp dark - darkness = mode of ignorance (tamasic).

Try cooking without onion (and garlic ! ) for a few days and see the difference.

Masoor Dal - Rajasic , mode of passion. Personally , whole masoor or red daal also , does not feel very calming when eaten - unlike toor and mung daal.

Carrots and Radish - i have no idea , someone said its given in the Manu Smriti right ? Lets ask them about it. It could be some chemicals in them OR the hygene - they come from the soil, have to be peeled right as they can be eaten raw, whereas potatoes and ginger get peeled and cooked.

Hing , mustard seeds bring flavor to the food. If they were rajasic we would have been told. Otherwise, the ultimate Yogi will eat boiled veggies, fruits, and nuts.

Peppers - if it were just for Krshna and me, i would skip them completely.

In Bhagvad Gita Krishna says

BG 17.9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

So one small pepper will not make the whole dish Rajasic. We have to follow this guideline while preparing the food.

BG 17.8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

BG 17.10: Food prepared more than three hours before being eaten, food that is tasteless, decomposed and putrid, and food consisting of remnants and untouchable things is dear to those in the mode of darkness.

Naivedya, Food offered to God , has to be not just in the mode of goodness (Satvic) , but in Pure Goodness (shuddha sattva) i.e. transcedental. But, how can we cook material food made up of the 5 elements - earth water fire air ether , and call it transcendental ?

Not. So, we do our best to offer Satvic Food to God, and as soon as He accepts it, it becomes His transcendental Mercy for us - Prasad.

-------------

About the list of foods you mention -

Its the final outcome , preparation that has to be pleasant for the soul and light on the stomach. Then it means God liked it.

Following is what i have learnt from A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupad and disciples in the line :

Foods like Onions, Garlic , Mushrooms are Rajasic/Tamasic . Onion and Garlic belong to the allium family whereas mushroom grows in the damp dark - darkness = mode of ignorance (tamasic).

Try cooking without onion (and garlic ! ) for a few days and see the difference.

Masoor Dal - Rajasic , mode of passion. Personally , whole masoor or red daal also , does not feel very calming when eaten - unlike toor and mung daal.

Carrots and Radish - i have no idea , someone said its given in the Manu Smriti right ? Lets ask them about it. It could be some chemicals in them OR the hygene - they come from the soil, have to be peeled right as they can be eaten raw, whereas potatoes and ginger get peeled and cooked.

Hing , mustard seeds bring flavor to the food. If they were rajasic we would have been told. Otherwise, the ultimate Yogi will eat boiled veggies, fruits, and nuts.

Peppers - if it were just for Krshna and me, i would skip them completely.

In Bhagvad Gita Krishna says

BG 17.9: Foods that are too bitter, too sour, salty, hot, pungent, dry and burning are dear to those in the mode of passion. Such foods cause distress, misery and disease.

So one small pepper will not make the whole dish Rajasic. We have to follow this guideline while preparing the food.

BG 17.8: Foods dear to those in the mode of goodness increase the duration of life, purify one's existence and give strength, health, happiness and satisfaction. Such foods are juicy, fatty, wholesome, and pleasing to the heart.

BG 17.10: Food prepared more than three hours before being eaten, food that is tasteless, decomposed and putrid, and food consisting of remnants and untouchable things is dear to those in the mode of darkness.

Nice Post Smaranam :smash::smash:.

That should put the Incessant whiner Sambya to rest.

To Galaxy.Please take note that this forum is infested with whining hindus who take pride about their ignorance in hindu scriptures.

No one will ever be able to follow all the prescriptions of Hari Bhakti Vilasa. Who would want to? Following thousands of rules and restrictions will not give you bhakti. If you read through Hari Bhakti Vilas where it addresses what Krishna likes to eat, you can quickly notice that milk and milk products, rice, sweets, and fruits are His favorites. We can use common sense too. Since we live by eating the remnants of Krishna we should prepare and offer what will be beneficial for our bhajan which will be light, sattvic meals that are nourishing and easily digested.

In Srimad Bhagavatam Krishna says:

yad yad iSTatamaM loke

yA cAti-priyam AtmanaH |

tat tan nivedayen mahyaM

tad anantyAya kalpate ||BhP 11.11.41||

"A person who offers to Me whatever is most precious in the world, or whatever is most dear to his heart, all of that should be offered to Me, and he attains in return a benefit that has no end."

A friend of mine who lived in India for a long time with her gurudev has a Govardhan sila that she worshipped. She had to return to the US and she told her guru, "The food will be so different there, what should I offer to Giridhari?" Her guru replied, "He is your Giridhari, he likes what you like...feed Him that!"

It seems quite simple to me. Offer Krishna what you think is good and delicious. Give Him the best of whatever is available to you.

Here is one thing that bothers me. Show me one temple in Vrindavan that doesn't offer food to Krishna that is oily and full of chillies. To me that seems like an inconsiderate way to treat Thakurji. Consider this statement from the Bhagavatam:

yat te sujAta-caraNAmburuhaM staneSu

bhItAH zanaiH priya dadhImahi karkazeSu |

tenATavIm aTasi tad vyathate na kiM svit

kUrpAdibhir bhramati dhIr bhavad-AyuSAM naH ||BhP 1.31.19||

O Priya, in anxiety for your tender lotus feet, we place them gently on our breasts. When you roam about in the rough forest paths with these feet, and when we do not know whether they are pinched by small stones and so forth or not, this casts the minds of us, for whom you are the elixir of life, into a whirlpool of unsteadiness.”

Radhaji and her sakhis are afraid of harming Krishna's tender lotus-feet with their hard breasts. Imagine what Krishna's tender lotus-mouth would feel like stuffed with chillies. :burn::crying2:

According to this link

http://www.salagram.net/Onions-Garlic-in-relation2Vaishnavism.html#Why no Garlic and Onions?

(i) Because they are of the food category of Rajas and Tamas. They cause a disturbance, and even pain and sickness to those who eat them. Especially if you are not used to eating them and find them slipped into a meal – painful air, diarrhea, are often side effects – symptoms of the modes of passion and ignorance.

(ii) Because they (such foods) cannot be offered to the Deity.

(iii) Because they impair Deity worship by their profound and even bad smell, and their repeating nature so as to effectively disqualify the sadhaka from performing Deity worship as laid down in the Hari Bhakti Vilas, and Bhaktirasamrta Sindhu (even Hing and Gingerly are mentioned, what to speak of onion and garlic) regarding making sure that such foods that repeat upon one, and that food in general is thoroughly digested before one performs the pujas.

(iv) Because the onion and garlic are considered to grow below the ground and thus tamasiki in nature many chaste Vaishnavas would not partake of them.

(v) Because they are not a native to devotional cooking see (I) & (ii) & (iii) being introduced from

other countries (karma bhumi – outside of dharma-bhumi) like so many other things.

(vi) Because of the references to their origin as being derived of animal sacrifice, as evolved from the sin of steeling the offering and when caught for that by her husband throwing that to a distant place where due to its being impregnated with life invoking mantras took the seed form as red dahl, red onion and white onion.

If you say only "Satvic" can be offerable, then we cannot offer anything that is fried like pooris,samosa,kachoris,pakoras,gulab jamuns,salty,pungent,with chilli or pepper, any sweet preparation because too sweet is also not satvic. WE cannot offer idlis,dahi,bread or any fermented stuff as its not freshly prepared. We cannot offer any frozen things or chilled items.

Also I read that only qualities of food were mentioned while describing satvic or rajasic, no where the names of the food mentioned. Correct me in case you know more

Why am I still pondering..and having hard time in understanding these.I think being vegetarian/vegan would be enough, and limiting diet to not eating carrots, or radishes, red lentlils, tomatoes, seem to me little outrageous. Why do people fall for these things. In fact, its not even mentioned anywhere as far as I know in the texts (forgive me if it is, AND if so, let me know where and which verse,etc)

And its interesting if you check out the history of tomatoes and potatoes, it had been introduced in Asia, only a few centuries back from South Americas. Whereas Onions and garlic were grown indigenously and has been eaten since prehistoric times.

Yours humbly,

OmHari

Edited by OmHari

Thank You Chanduji.

Those who want scriptural ref. can skim through Varaha Purana,Padma purana,Garuda purana, and Hari BhaktiVilas (as Galaxy has already mentioned) , also read Ayurveda (Foods inducing vata pitta kapha ... ) .

Food offered to Sri Hari (Vishnu Tattva) has to be Sattvic.

If you say only "Satvic" can be offerable, then we cannot offer anything that is fried like pooris,samosa,kachoris,pakoras,gulab jamuns,salty,pungent,with chilli or pepper, any sweet preparation because too sweet is also not satvic. WE cannot offer idlis,dahi,bread or any fermented stuff as its not freshly prepared. We cannot offer any frozen things or chilled items.

Yes, food offered to Sri Hari (Vishnu Tattva) as well as other devtas , has to be Sattvic.

I agree that one should not go overboard with chillies - to the extent of "Daaha" for Krshna. Then the food is not Sattvic anymore. Any chilly added is generally removed later, or seeded before adding.

Imagine little KAnhA going barefoot into the forest with a spicy lunch box - or also when He is all grown up. Hard to think about.

It would be nice to avoid chillies as well as mustard seeds when possible. Cumin and dry corriander bring good taste.

Food offered on special occasions was to be made without mustard seeds and chillies, but with cumin. This is the practice in families that do not offer their food daily, only for special Puja or Holy days (Typical menu : potato sabji, sweet shira/halwa, toor daal rice, cucumber raita). This means that tadkas of mustard seeds and chillies were not considered pleasing to Sri Hari.

However, if we are offering food daily and sharing it with others , its better that it keep some acceptable balance and not get rejected as 'bland'. So that people will be encouraged to include prasadam in their lifestyle without drastic changes. As long as we stay within the guidelines of nature of Sattvic food (BG 17.8, 9, 10).

This seems to be the message of acharyas of past and present.

======

* Dahi has probiotics, and Krshna tiptoed into Gopis' houses to steal it.

* The idli dosa fermentations can cause stomach-aches for some. That means it wasn't Sattvic. Urad daal may be soaked but drained long before fermentation. That's what we do - no sour idlis and dosas.

*Breads like Chapatis and cakes are to be offered fresh,warm. If offered appropriately, and once they become Prasad, they do not become tamasic after 3 hours or refrigeration. Yeast and fermented breads are not offered.

*Finally, those interested can always give up tadkas, fried foods, gulab jamuns, all sense gratification. It will only bring them closer to Krshna.

Jai Sri Krshna

For those that keep inquiring about yogurt, it is stated in the Bhagavat.

guDa-pAyasa-sarpIMSi

zaSkulyApUpa-modakAn |

samyAva-dadhi-sUpAMz ca

naivedyaM sati kalpayet ||BhP 11.27.34||

"Within his means, the devotee should arrange to offer Me sugar candy, sweet rice, ghee, zaskulI (rice-flour cakes), ApUpa (various sweet cakes), modaka (steamed rice-flour dumplings filled with sweet-coconut and sugar), samyAva (wheat cakes made with ghee and milk and covered with sugar and spices), yogurt, vegetable soups, and other palatable foods."

Yes, food offered to Sri Hari (Vishnu Tattva) as well as other devtas , has to be Sattvic. Jai Sri Krshna

As far as I know only the QUALITIES of sattvic food was decribed, not the list of food which are sattvic. Spices,refined sugar(Originally, people chewed the cane raw to extract its sweetness. Indians discovered how to crystallize sugar during the Gupta dynasty, around AD 350), flour are under rajasic, and cheese comes under tamasic category,by the way

As far as I know only the QUALITIES of sattvic food was decribed, not the list of food which are sattvic. Spices,refined sugar(Originally, people chewed the cane raw to extract its sweetness. Indians discovered how to crystallize sugar during the Gupta dynasty, around AD 350), flour are under rajasic, and cheese comes under tamasic category,by the way

**Good Document - List of Sattvic Foods :

http://www.myralewin.com/Documents/List%20of%20Sattvic%20Foods.pdf

AYURVEDA says ...

Ayurveda Food Types Satvic, Rajsic & Tamsic - AyurShop.com

* Aged cheese is tamasic - not in the least surprised. However, freshly made paneer can't be , right ? Fortunately i don't eat any of these things.

Please note that all paneer, rasgulla, kind of food has to be offered fresh, then it becomes Prasad if the Lord accepts, then it can be refrigerated and chilled. Not the other way around. Offering Krshna paneer and rasgulla in the mind - from His own Surabhi cows of Gokul, also should not be a problem :)

* Refined processed sugar and flour are rajasic - hmmm understandable - as against whole grains and whole grain flour.

How about Mishri - crystallized sugar , and Jaggery ?

Krishna eats Maakhan Mishri first thing in the morning :

"Maiya, Mohe Maakhan-Mishri bhaaye ... Meetho Dahi Meethai Dadhighata ...."

Pandurang Vitthal of Pandharpur takes a break during His daily abhishek to eat sugar candy.

Wheat is Sattvic. So then what about whole wheat flour and Semolina ?

SatyaNarayan Shira , Semolina Halwa with bananas and Tulasi can't possibly be Rajasic. Lord Narayana Himself instructs how to make it and offer to Him

11/4 rava 1 1/4 sugar 11/4 ghee 1 banana.

----------

Its better that people turn towards spiritually gradually, even if they do not offer all their food, rather than simply leading a fruititive materialistic life.

However, its definitely good to look into lists of foods that are Sattvic acc. to AyurVeda. My exploration into Ayurveda has begun thanks to you, OmHariJi, and SambyaJi. :)

More links :

Sattvic Food In Yoga Diet Are Predominantly Vegetarian, Pure, Light And Simple | Yoga Health Benefits