IndiaDivine.org
Guest Tenali Ram

Is Swami Raghavendra fake?

Rate this topic

Guest Tenali Ram

I am assuming this person is a gaudiya saint? It says he's buried alive somewhere in Andhra Pradesh. This is ridiculous...how can a person live underground for so long?:smash: Why are vaishnavas making up lies and tarnishing the image of Hindus?

I am assuming this person is a gaudiya saint? It says he's buried alive somewhere in Andhra Pradesh. This is ridiculous.

He is a vaishnava saint.It is ridiculous for you to say he was Buried alive.No body buries saints.He himself left his body by entering in to a tomb(Samadhi).

Saint Raghavanedra preached worship of God Vishnu and lived the life of saint.

In his last speech he said:

"Always keep away from people who merely perform miracles without following the shastras and yet call themselves God or guru. I have performed miracles, and so have great persons like Srimadacharya. These are based on yoga siddhi and the shastras. There is no fraud or trickery at all. These miracles were performed only to show the greatness of God and the wonderful powers that one can attain with His grace. Right knowledge (jnana) is greater than any miracle.

Please refrain from posting rubbish like a spoilt brat.

Guest Tenali Ram

He is a vaishnava saint.It is ridiculous for you to say he was Buried alive.No body buries saints.He himself left his body by entering in to a tomb(Samadhi).

Saint Raghavanedra preached worship of God Vishnu and lived the life of saint.

In his last speech he said:

"Always keep away from people who merely perform miracles without following the shastras and yet call themselves God or guru. I have performed miracles, and so have great persons like Srimadacharya. These are based on yoga siddhi and the shastras. There is no fraud or trickery at all. These miracles were performed only to show the greatness of God and the wonderful powers that one can attain with His grace. Right knowledge (jnana) is greater than any miracle.

Please refrain from posting rubbish like a spoilt brat.

You're the one posting rubbish in blind rage. Even vaishnavas agree that this man was buried alive. Do a google search and find out, if you don't believe me.

They say Raghavendra is still alive underground, and that he has NOT left the body like other saints. These are NOT my views, these are the views of gaudiyas, so I thought I could it post here and get them clarified.

You're the one posting rubbish in blind rage. Even vaishnavas agree that this man was buried alive.

A saint enters Samadhi alive and his soul(Atma) leaves the body at his will.This is Called Entering Samadhi.The saint instructs his disciples to close the tomb after he enters samadhi.

If you are a HINDU you will be knowing this Already.

Are you really a hindu?.

Do a google search and find out, if you don't believe me. They say Raghavendra is still alive underground, and that he has NOT left the body like other saints. These are NOT my views, these are the views of gaudiyas, so I thought I could it post here and get them clarified.

Who said that?.His Atma(soul) is guiding the people in to right path.This is what the Vaishnava site says quoting the devotees.

http://www.gururaghavendra.org/

If you are really a hindu you would be knowing that Soul has no death.

Abuse Alert: This miscreant Tenali is not here to seek clarifications.He is here to post hate messages.

Guest Tenali Ram

What's wrong with you people? I am just asking a question, no need to get all defensive. I just find it hard to believe that someone can live underground for centuries. He was buried alive in the 16th century, so he's been living underground for all these centuries? That's so hard to believe.

Guest Tenali Ram

A saint enters Samadhi alive and his soul(Atma) leaves the body at his will.This is Called Entering Samadhi.

This is where you're wrong. What you describe is true of other saints...they leave the body, yes. But Raghavendra didn't leave his body, he's still in his body (or so his devotees claim), he's been living in his body underground for many centuries. Surely, you don't believe this story?

Raghavendra is a saint in the Madhva lineage, not Gaudiya lineage. He entered jiva samadhi, where the saint is burried while living. This was a common practice in the past, and in Tamil Nadu you will find many such jiva samadhis of saints and siddhas.

The idea that his physical body is still living is a misconception. When saints enter jiva samadhi, they leave their body by yogic processes and continue to exist in their subtle body (sukshma sareera), or in the case of mukti, they keep their spiritual presence in their shrine to bless their devotees.

Raghavendra Swami has manifested physically before people even in recent times, including to one British government officer who wanted to seize the temple lands. This was recorded in the government gazette at the time.

Guest Tenali Ram

Raghavendra is a saint in the Madhva lineage, not Gaudiya lineage. He entered jiva samadhi, where the saint is burried while living. This was a common practice in the past, and in Tamil Nadu you will find many such jiva samadhis of saints and siddhas.

The idea that his physical body is still living is a misconception. When saints enter jiva samadhi, they leave their body by yogic processes and continue to exist in their subtle body (sukshma sareera), or in the case of mukti, they keep their spiritual presence in their shrine to bless their devotees.

I am aware of saints leaving the body. I mentioned Raghavendra's case because it's NOT like that at all. I don't know why it's so hard for people to do a google search and find out what I am talking about. Attaining jiva samadhi has been done by many, many saints, but Raghavendra's case is peculiar in that he didn't leave the body; he was buried alive. Doesn't that strike you as odd and completely different from the jiva samadhi we know?

Raghavendra Swami has manifested physically

If he manifested physically, doesn't that contradict your earlier statement that he left the body?

before people even in recent times, including to one British government officer who wanted to seize the temple lands. This was recorded in the government gazette at the time.

No records have been found so far, even though devotees make such claims. They also say Madhva lifted a rock! All this could be poetic exaggeration.

Attaining jiva samadhi has been done by many, many saints, but Raghavendra's case is peculiar in that he didn't leave the body; he was buried alive. Doesn't that strike you as odd and completely different from the jiva samadhi we know?

Jiva samadhi is defined as being buried alive. So it seems you have known the wrong jiva samadhi all these years. To look at it literally, jiva=living, samadhi=burial, so to be buried while living. Of course it has so many spiritual connotations as well. Jiva samadhi is rare, but it has been practiced a lot by those following the siddha tradition in Tamil Nadu. In fact, I know of one fairly young saint who entered jiva samadhi just a few years ago in a small village by Villupuram. In order to stop his family from being charged with a crime for burrying him alive, he left the top of his tomb open (without being covered in dirt) until he had left the body, and then it was closed.

In the west we may consider this as suicide, but that is because we don't understand their spiritual power. They are leaving their bodies every single day in their meditation. Through their sukshma sarira, they are actually existing on higher planes of existence while their body is physically present here. Their body is actually a block to their higher existence. When they choose to not return to their body, and to seperate their consciousness from that body completely, then the body dies.

If he manifested physically, doesn't that contradict your earlier statement that he left the body?

Hindus generally understand the concepts of sukshma sarira (subtle body), sthula sarira (physical body), etc. Unlike in Christian religions, in the Vedic scriptures it is described that there are several layers of the physical body. Thus one may be seperate from the sthula sarira (the physical body we see in the mirror), yet still be able to exist and move around in the sukshma sarira (mental body). The sukshma sarira can be manifested into a visible physical form by those with spiritual power.

Guest Tenali Ram

If we just ignore the Christian missionary, do you guys think he will just go away?

Huh? See my name. I am a tamil iyer.

Huh? See my name. I am a tamil iyer.

Of course you are.

Just out of curiosity, how can you follow a religion that tells you that your parents are damned to hell eternally for being born as Iyers? Isn't that a rather cruel god to sentence someone to Hell for all eternity just for practicing a different religion?

Guest Tenali Ram

Jiva samadhi is defined as being buried alive. So it seems you have known the wrong jiva samadhi all these years. To look at it literally, jiva=living, samadhi=burial, so to be buried while living.

Once they're buried, they leave the body. But Raghavendra didn't. That's what his devotees claim. And this was the point I was contesting.

Hindus generally understand the concepts of sukshma sarira (subtle body), sthula sarira (physical body), etc. Unlike in Christian religions, in the Vedic scriptures it is described that there are several layers of the physical body. Thus one may be seperate from the sthula sarira (the physical body we see in the mirror), yet still be able to exist and move around in the sukshma sarira (mental body). The sukshma sarira can be manifested into a visible physical form by those with spiritual power.

If sukshma sarira is different from physical body, how come devotees were able to see it?

Guest Tenali Ram

Of course you are.

Just out of curiosity, how can you follow a religion that tells you that your parents are damned to hell eternally for being born as Iyers? Isn't that a rather cruel god to sentence someone to Hell for all eternity just for practicing a different religion?

What religion? I am still shopping for one.

to tenali :

if you dont anything about madhva-saints and their greatness you have to goto a madhva mutt or raghavendra mutt to clarify ur doubts rather than comitting offence by posting comments against a great soul. all i can say is you are making a great sin :mad2:

Once they're buried, they leave the body. But Raghavendra didn't. That's what his devotees claim. And this was the point I was contesting

There is no official position on this, as he has no official spokesman (his mathas are following him but can't claim to speak on behalf of him). So there is no way to know which of the following occured:

1) He is still sitting there in his physical body.

2) His physical body deteriorated hundreds of years ago and he is living in his sukshma sarira doing meditation on Hari.

3) He is already returned to Vaikuntha and keeps his spiritual presence in his samadhi to bless his devotees.

Generally jiva samadhi indicates 2 or 3. No one has ever claimed the material body will stay forever without deterioration. Even when Hiranyakashipu did severe austerities to get his benediction of immortality, his entire body deteriorated and by his mystic potency he kept his soul and prana inside his bones, which were covered in an ant hill. The equation that we need a human body to maintain our life is not true. The soul is eternal, and those who have spiritual potency can live in their sukshma sarira or by keeping their prana in their bones, a stone, a tree, or anything else they choose.

As to why regular people can't also continue living in their sukshma sarira after their bodies die, it is because they are not free from karma. One who has disolved his karma is able to exist without the pull of karma to a next birth. But those who have karmic debts will be forced to be reborn immediately after death.

Regular people DO CONTINUE LIVING IN THEIR SUKSHMA SARIRA.

The fact is God,His associates,His Abodes,His Names,His pastimes are all indifferent from Him.

If a devotee calls upon his spiritual master in all sincerity,even though he may be in the spiritual world,he comes at once.This is very very mysterious.

More mysterious is the fact that he assumes the same form in that which he had attained samadhi and not his siddha sarira.

So raghavendra swami manifesting in the form of an old man is done by yogmaya.

The spiritual potency is the cause,yet the work is performed on the mayic plane...Similary...a mahatma certainly eats,sleeps and passes urine...but he is under yogmaya.

Thus he can perform all mayic tasks,ordinary or extraordinary,without ever remaining attached to it.

What's wrong with you people? I am just asking a question, no need to get all defensive. I just find it hard to believe that someone can live underground for centuries. He was buried alive in the 16th century, so he's been living underground for all these centuries? That's so hard to believe.

Please restructure your question.You assumed that they were lying and tarnishing the image of Hinduism.If you do not know approach with humility.Sri.Raghavendra entered the pit alive which is called Jiva samadhi.No one claimed that he is alive in flesh and blood.But our body comprises of 16 rays of life of which some would remain in case of saints in the place where they are buried.Hence such a saint's soul anaswers your prayers.Even in Shankara sampradaya belonging to Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam a sage by name Sri.Bodhendra entered into Jiva samadhi near Kumbakonam where even the devout who are fortunate can listen to chants of Ram nama coming from his samadhi in nights.

Dear Ram,

Even assuming that you started this topic for fun, kindly note that post nos 19 &20 of Ranjeetmore, and suvarchas have fully clarified your doubts.

It is not uncommon for saints to be burried alive, and still answer the prayers of devotees. Raghvendraswamy is one.

In early 1970s One Sri basheerbaba also entered the jeeva samadhi. Till a decade back, Balayogi of Mummidivaram in AP, used to give darshan once a year to his devotees, though he was physically burried alive.

Shirdi Sai stil answers from his samadhi, even after leaving his mortal soul.

Just because some chronicler quoted it as absurd, don't suspect and loose faith in hinduism. It's Great.

Dear Ram,

Even assuming that you started this topic for fun,

No, he didn't start it for fun.His arguments are lifted straight from indian evangelical schools.

He insists on google that some body said Raghavendra saint is alive in physical body.When i quoted The official site he pretends he has not read it.

http://www.gururaghavendra.org/

which says

On the day chosen (Virodhikruth Samvatsara Shravana krishna paksha dwitiya - 1671 A.D.), thousands of people had congregated in manchAle to see this rare event of a person entering a brindAvana alive.He also gave elaborate instructions to his disciples.

This is the typical behaviour of an evangelist.They keep repeating what they want to say without showing any basis .When we provide evidence contrary to what they say they remain silent on the evidence.

This is where you're wrong. What you describe is true of other saints...they leave the body, yes. But Raghavendra didn't leave his body, he's still in his body (or so his devotees claim),

Either you provide evidence of what u say or you read the official site i quoted.repeating adnauseum what u learn from evangelical schools is of no use.

I repeated the public event of Raghavendra swami entering samadhi in post 22 from the official site: http://www.gururaghavendra.org/

You're the one posting rubbish in blind rage. Even vaishnavas agree that this man was buried alive. Do a google search and find out, if you don't believe me.

They say Raghavendra is still alive underground, and that he has NOT left the body like other saints. These are NOT my views, these are the views of gaudiyas, so I thought I could it post here and get them clarified.

Do you blindly believe everything that you find by googling?? even I can say i'm a follower of swami raghavendra and post an article according to my understanding.. let's say to my understanding i say "swami raghavendra was not burried alive. he was mummified first and then only they burried him. and after a few days the mummy came alive and still is living until now".. will you believe that too?.. and you will start bashing me because in your opinion and understanding how can they mummify a saint/guru!!

let me ask you this.. if your guru asks you to burry him alive, will you question him?? will you argue with him telling saints should not be burried alive and since you are asking me to do so, you must be a fake guru?! you think you know better than your guru? is this how you surrender to a guru?

Do you think GOD has no power to make his dear devotee alive even in a Tomb after thousands of years?.. do you think GOD has no power to prevent his dear devotee's body from rotting?

You said "I just find it hard to believe that someone can live underground for centuries. He was buried alive in the 16th century, so he's been living underground for all these centuries? That's so hard to believe."

you are talking like an Atheist despite claiming yourself an Iyer!

We wouldn't know for sure whether he is still alive or not. whether his body is still fresh or rotten. stories can chnage by time and the things we are hearing won't be 100% true.. maybe some very faithful followers of swami raghavendra do not like the idea of him being dead and prefer to believe that he is still living in the tomb.. and that is out of true love and devotion of course.. How can you make a judgement based on that????

what we can know or atleast learn from his life journey is that he never did anything like what Sathya Sai Baba is doing now! he lead a true saintly life! can't you just compare and come to a conclusion with that?

p/s: i am not being defensive or angered. it is just that somethings have to be told as how they should be told to make different types of persons to understand. Btw, it is not wrong anyway if someone is angered as the way you are asking questions is in such a manner!

Om Raghavendraya Namaha

I liked your question. It is a very good question. Every Hindu must raise these kinds of difficult questions so that answers can be revealed to Non-Hindus and hence we can spread the greatness of Hinduism every where. I would like to explain this with an example.

Suppose God has decided to give you 50 years life time. That means you breathe up to 50 years. When you finish your several rounds of breath and meet 50 you will die. But through meditation one lives without breath and hence lives for many years. This is all science in reality. Our Rushis are great scientists.

We hear in Ramayana and Maha Bharata that Many Rushis like Viswamitra, Ravana , Vyasa many other saints did Tapasuu ( I mean meditate for several thousands of years without eating ). They were able to meditate that many years because they can live even without breath.

But that stage is not very easy to attain for normal persons. It is hard to believe and to practice also. With lot of practice and Gods blessings we can do it.

We start with Normal meditation and leave it at some point of time without taking it seriously. But some saints are not like you and I they struggle a lot to reach Moksha. When they go to deep meditation at some advanced level they stop breathing and their soul moves from their Body but still they their body does not die. It is true.

Hence this is called Samadhi Avasta (level), by controlling their breath they don’t use their life time. They consume very little life time, now and then they come and use it life for some little things.

Hence we can believe that great Soul and Body of Raghavendra may be still under the tomb living. And yeah even he left his body he is still living as a messenger of GOD.

Have you heard of Darga’s in Islam Culture? They go to Darga’s to worship a skeleton. But actually they believe that, that great soul still resides in that place and will transfer their messages to GOD. For example Ajmir Darga which is very famous. They believe that buried body has still got power and acts like a messenger between Allah and devotees.

Just like our Shiridi Sai Baba. Hence I believe there can be chances that Body of Rahavendra still is living under that Tomb. He may be meditating a lot still in Samadhi Avastha (by not using his life time).

This is all great science from our Rishis, and this world can learn this great science only from Hindu religion. Once again our Rishis are great scientists. Many secrets kept in Vedas in the encrypted form to reach GOD.

Om Raghavendraya Namaha

Thanks,

M.Kishore