IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
patit

What is MAYA?

Rate this topic

It is very interesting to note how mayadevi has her claws on even the most educated people. What use is education if it does not help us to understand the very basic point that our desire for name and fame must be demolished? We acquire so much knowledge, memorize so many verses and preach high philosophy. What use is all that if all its doing is making us feel greater. Are we not just feeding our false ego? Is it not making us more trapped in this bodily designation? Does such fire of desire help us to come to the conclusion that we are not this body but the spirit within? Or is it the biggest block for such realization? What use is all this knowledge if its becoming such a block in our path to liberation. "Divya jnana hrde prakasito" not by merely memorizing and repeating like a parrot...this is how maya gets us..we must think about it sometimes. We may be committing lots of offenses on the strength of Gods teachings..this is misuse of the basic knowledge that the Lord has kindly given us to get perhaps half a step closer to DIVYA JNANA. It is easy to point fingers...we must look within.

It is very interesting to note how mayadevi has her claws on even the most educated people. What use is education if it does not help us to understand the very basic point that our desire for name and fame must be demolished? We acquire so much knowledge, memorize so many verses and preach high philosophy. What use is all that if all its doing is making us feel greater. Are we not just feeding our false ego? Is it not making us more trapped in this bodily designation? Does such fire of desire help us to come to the conclusion that we are not this body but the spirit within? Or is it the biggest block for such realization? What use is all this knowledge if its becoming such a block in our path to liberation. "Divya jnana hrde prakasito" not by merely memorizing and repeating like a parrot...this is how maya gets us..we must think about it sometimes. We may be committing lots of offenses on the strength of Gods teachings..this is misuse of the basic knowledge that the Lord has kindly given us to get perhaps half a step closer to DIVYA JNANA. It is easy to point fingers...we must look within.

Respected Patit Ji,

I was in a introspective mode after reading your post. Your words are very true. It made me think alot. Thank you. Namaste.

It is very interesting to note how mayadevi has her claws on even the most educated people.

It all depends on what one defines as education.

What use is education if it does not help us to understand the very basic point that our desire for name and fame must be demolished? We acquire so much knowledge, memorize so many verses and preach high philosophy. What use is all that if all its doing is making us feel greater. Are we not just feeding our false ego? Is it not making us more trapped in this bodily designation? Does such fire of desire help us to come to the conclusion that we are not this body but the spirit within?

What are you expecting to happen if/when you come to the conclusion that you are the spirit and not the body - when you still have a body? Is that how it is supposed to work?

It is natural for someone living a worldly life to desire one or more of name, fame, recognition, wealth, power, etc. To give up all of these and yet live a wordly life is meaningless. One has to be a sanyasi to give up all of these. Should the entire world's population work towards Sanyasa?

Cheers

What are you expecting to happen if/when you come to the conclusion that you are the spirit and not the body - when you still have a body? Is that how it is supposed to work?

It is natural for someone living a worldly life to desire one or more of name, fame, recognition, wealth, power, etc. To give up all of these and yet live a wordly life is meaningless. One has to be a sanyasi to give up all of these. Should the entire world's population work towards Sanyasa?

Cheers

Dear kaisersose,

Coming to such conclusion or realizing that one is not this body will automatically answer your questions. One who has come to such a realization is indeed very great. A simple example can be given. In India and maybe some other places around the world, we find many snake charmers that play with deadly snakes like cobras. The snakes sometimes bite the snake charmers but the snake charmer is not affected because they have taken the poison teeth out of the snake. Similarly, the senses of those who are truly self realized is compared to a snake that may bite but has no consequence. A self realized soul lives and walks in this world but is not affected by the happiness or sufferings of this world.

Your Servant,

Patit.

Dear kaisersose,

Coming to such conclusion or realizing that one is not this body will automatically answer your questions. One who has come to such a realization is indeed very great. A simple example can be given. In India and maybe some other places around the world, we find many snake charmers that play with deadly snakes like cobras. The snakes sometimes bite the snake charmers but the snake charmer is not affected because they have taken the poison teeth out of the snake. Similarly, the senses of those who are truly self realized is compared to a snake that may bite but has no consequence. A self realized soul lives and walks in this world but is not affected by the happiness or sufferings of this world.

Your Servant,

Patit.

I am sorry...but if you are not affected by the happiness and sufferings of the world, then you are in a some kind of a zombie/robot state. Why is that a good thing? Its greatness appears to be simply because it is hard to reach.

Suppose the individual is happy with the world. Say things are going well for him. Do you agree that such a person would have no incentive in moving to such a vegetative state?

I am sorry...but if you are not affected by the happiness and sufferings of the world, then you are in a some kind of a zombie/robot state. Why is that a good thing? Its greatness appears to be simply because it is hard to reach.

Suppose the individual is happy with the world. Say things are going well for him. Do you agree that such a person would have no incentive in moving to such a vegetative state?

Dear Kaisersose,

I am not a great scholor but I will try my best to answer.

I do not think being self realized is a "zombie state". What it means is you are in touch with your real self. Not the material covering. Rather, not knowing yourself is a zombie state. We think we are happy with the way things are going for us, but the bottom line is, that happiness is temporary. Even if you somehow manage to stay "happy" all your life, its still temporary. No one can escape the clutches of death. So the goal of spiritual life is to achieve a state of permanent happiness. One that does not end. Its ever increasing. If we live our life as if though we are eternal then the little happiness or distress brought to us by the different modes of material nature will not effect us. The goal of spiritual life is to arise above the material nature and be situated under the spiritual energy. Being situated thus and being in touch with our real identity we can be free from the "zombie" like state and be situated in our true position. You may be very happy dreaming about something beautiful...but even a little child can tell you, that dream will end.

So to endeavour to achieve something that will bring you so called happiness but comes with an expiration date is basically useless.

I don’t think that the possession of knowledge necessarily makes a person 'feel greater'. Where did you get that idea? The more one knows or understands, the more one realizes how little one knows or understands. At least, I think that’s true in the case of scientific knowledge. I’m not sure about religious - or scriptural knowledge though. A difference with science might be, that religious knowledge on its own is 'blind' (as Einstein apparently stated). Religious knowledge might be unverifiable in itself, thereby providing ample opportunity for unchecked speculation and false ego. Perhaps, religious knowledge should be unified with verifiable scientific knowledge.. :)

Dear Kaisersose,

I am not a great scholor but I will try my best to answer.

I do not think being self realized is a "zombie state". What it means is you are in touch with your real self. Not the material covering. Rather, not knowing yourself is a zombie state. We think we are happy with the way things are going for us, but the bottom line is, that happiness is temporary. Even if you somehow manage to stay "happy" all your life, its still temporary. No one can escape the clutches of death. So the goal of spiritual life is to achieve a state of permanent happiness. One that does not end. Its ever increasing. If we live our life as if though we are eternal then the little happiness or distress brought to us by the different modes of material nature will not effect us. The goal of spiritual life is to arise above the material nature and be situated under the spiritual energy. Being situated thus and being in touch with our real identity we can be free from the "zombie" like state and be situated in our true position. You may be very happy dreaming about something beautiful...but even a little child can tell you, that dream will end.

So to endeavour to achieve something that will bring you so called happiness but comes with an expiration date is basically useless.

Purely from a practical viewpoint.

There are people in this world, who are pretty much happy through their lives, though they may not have been happy all the time. This category appears to be completely ignored by religionists - for obvious reasons.

Now you said one should not focus on the happiness one gets during this lifetime, because one should worry about what happens after death. Why? This is my time to be happy here. I will worry about death and afterlives later. Of course, If I am not happy now, if my material life is screwed up, then perhaps I will start thinking of an afterlife right now. Otherwise not.

If you are living in society with a family, you have to conform to the social model. This includes a means of livelihood which in turn requirs you to perform well in your job, which in turn requires a certain amount of passion towards the work you do and so on. If you brand this passion as Maya and call it a bad thing, then you will mess up your career - all because you are scared of the quality of your afterlife. But in truth, you would have made a mess of your present life!

Your education was not intended to conquer Maya. It was a foundation, preparing you to function effectively in society. This will include passion for your work and dedication to excel at whatever you do. This is what you should focus on. Do not get confused with religious ideals of detachment, etc., which are not really meant for people playing an active role in society. Indian religion has had the unqiue concept of Sanyasa for thousands of years, just to address this afterlife concern. Trying to merge a sanyasi lifestyle with a Grhasta lifestyle will only cause confusion and problems.

Cheers

Purely from a practical viewpoint.

There are people in this world, who are pretty much happy through their lives, though they may not have been happy all the time. This category appears to be completely ignored by religionists - for obvious reasons.

Now you said one should not focus on the happiness one gets during this lifetime, because one should worry about what happens after death. Why? This is my time to be happy here. I will worry about death and afterlives later. Of course, If I am not happy now, if my material life is screwed up, then perhaps I will start thinking of an afterlife right now. Otherwise not.

If you are living in society with a family, you have to conform to the social model. This includes a means of livelihood which in turn requirs you to perform well in your job, which in turn requires a certain amount of passion towards the work you do and so on. If you brand this passion as Maya and call it a bad thing, then you will mess up your career - all because you are scared of the quality of your afterlife. But in truth, you would have made a mess of your present life!

Your education was not intended to conquer Maya. It was a foundation, preparing you to function effectively in society. This will include passion for your work and dedication to excel at whatever you do. This is what you should focus on. Do not get confused with religious ideals of detachment, etc., which are not really meant for people playing an active role in society. Indian religion has had the unqiue concept of Sanyasa for thousands of years, just to address this afterlife concern. Trying to merge a sanyasi lifestyle with a Grhasta lifestyle will only cause confusion and problems.

Cheers

Dear kaisersose,

It is not that this category is ignored by religionists. Material happiness is actually just less distress. There is no real happiness derived from material nature. When there is less stress we call that happiness. In order to understand this point, we have to be acquire higher taste. When we acquire higher taste, we realize what true happiness is. Therefore we can be situated in true happiness while being in this world.

Yes this is your time to be happy. Thinking you are happy and actually being happy are two different things. Ignorance is bliss. The true way to get happy while you are here is to get in touch with your real self. Why should one try to get happiness via temporary sources when the same amount of energy can be spent towards getting something permanent? Its true what you say about distressed people taking up spiritual practices. There are 3 other types of people who take to spiritual life as well. Namely the wise, inquisitive and in need of money. Of the four, you may come in the category of wise.

Actually, one who is self realized has no fear. It is not recommended to neglect your duty. It is recommended to do your duty without being attached to the results of your duty. This way, your duty does not become a distraction. Rather, it becomes a type of meditation.

Yes no amount of education can conquer maya. The only thing that can conquer maya is the the mercy of guru and the Lord. Every type of varna and ashram is supported by the Vedas. If you wish to be a grhasta, go for it! One only has to perform his duty no matter what ashram he may be in. The point is to always remember god and never forget him.

Cheers

It only requires us to accept things that happen by itself according to karma as God's will without being proactive in aspiring for any material benefits.That does not mean being a sanyasi

Kesierose:

There are people in this world, who are pretty much happy through their lives, though they may not have been happy all the time. This category appears to be completely ignored by religionists

Patit:

It is not that this category is ignored by religionists. Material happiness is actually just less distress. There is no real happiness derived from material nature. When there is less stress we call that happiness. In order to understand this point, we have to be acquire higher taste. When we acquire higher taste, we realize what true happiness is. Therefore we can be situated in true happiness while being in this world.

Yes this is your time to be happy. Thinking you are happy and actually being happy are two different things. Ignorance is bliss. The true way to get happy while you are here is to get in touch with your real self. Why should one try to get happiness via temporary sources when the same amount of energy can be spent towards getting something permanent? Its true what you say about distressed people taking up spiritual practices. There are 3 other types of people who take to spiritual life as well. Namely the wise, inquisitive and in need of money. Of the four, you may come in the category of wise.

Actually, one who is self realized has no fear. It is not recommended to neglect your duty. It is recommended to do your duty without being attached to the results of your duty. This way, your duty does not become a distraction. Rather, it becomes a type of meditation.

Yes no amount of education can conquer maya. The only thing that can conquer maya is the the mercy of guru and the Lord. Every type of varna and ashram is supported by the Vedas. If you wish to be a grhasta, go for it! One only has to perform his duty no matter what ashram he may be in. The point is to always remember god and never forget him.

Patit's reply is genus at work!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"There are people in this world, who are pretty much happy through their lives, though they may not have been happy all the time. This category appears to be completely ignored by religionists - for obvious reasons."

My reply to Keiserose's above statement:

Your statement is so lacking in universal application--religionists seek to convert only the miserable & stupid under-acheviers - for obvious reasons.???

The world's wealth is in the hands of 5% of the population and keiserose is only concerned with spiritually philanthropic aspirants from forsaking "the ways of enjoyments".

China, Siberia, Africa Mexico, Central America, Colombia, North Korea & Iran all have TV Soap Operas with the Beautiful People enacting the Keiserose marching Orders under the banner of the "quality of your ONLYlife."

As I understand it, Maya 'produces' the illusion we call material reality. This illusion may, for example, be compared to the illusion of hearing voices in the sound of running water, whereby different persons may hear different voices in the same (original) sound. Not unlike hearing voices in the sound of running water, Maya might actively 'filter' our conscious experience of reality, thus 'constructing' or 'projecting' our material world. In this sense, Maya is our material reality.

It appears to be possible to become consciously aware of Maya. In the above analogy, the voices might disappear and a person will hear only the sound of running water. The sound still contains the separate voices, but they are no longer perceived as such. Somehow, they merged into the overall noise of the running water. Likewise, in the state of consciousness called Samadhi, which can result from intense concentration or focussing of consciousness on the oneness that underlies all duality, our individual material reality disappears and somehow merges into overall oneness.

The knowledge gained from such an experience, generally enlightens a person. He still may not understand Maya or reality on the material level, but now he knows that material reality and absolute reality (or God), though seemingly different or distinct, are ultimately and actually one..