IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
arjun2826

Have you ever seen people in trance in hindu temple ?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I have been in India recently and I went in a hindu temple to pray.

I saw their a man who works in the temple the whole day.

People were sitting down and waiting in line.

Then, he fell down while praying. And he started to speak strangely.

My cousin who was used to seeing this kind of phenomenon in lots of temple in India, told me that God has come in this man and people were there to ask him questions about their futur. He answered them all, one by one, concerning many topics as marriage, recovering money, school studies... He was in a kind of trance.

After one hour, he finished answering all questions, became then normal and could'nt remember what he said earlier.

It was quite strange.

Have you ever heard that ? what is this exactely ?

Spirit possession is very popular across cultures. When it occurs in India, it is generally a form of Devi that possesses the person. However, this is not the only place it occurs. Spirit possession also occurs in religions such as Pentecostal Christianity, Santeria, Vodou, and Candomble.

Yes it is a very common thing actually. In the my country, Malaysia, there are two kinds of temples, one the usual one(usual rituals and poojas) and the other are temples run by priests (mostly locals) that are able to go into trance.

In my place, people flock at unusual hours into temples that has trance activities going on. The main reason they would go is probably settling their problems, through consultation offered by the mediums (people that are able to get into trance).

There are many charlatans out there. Many reported cases that people are duped here. I cannot comment on India, it isn't fair because I am a foreigner, and I do not know the credibility of the mediums there.

One thing I can say is that, surrender to god. There is no greater power than god. In this world we are currently living, all things we want in instant, so I understand people seeking short-cuts. But then, when everthing leaves you....god will always be there for you. Think about it....

Well actually, I was not used to seeing this as I live abroad.

Overhere, this kind of practice are rare and even criticized because allways related to money and charlatans are allways available ;-).

In india, it is more common, right.

Do you think their advice is true ? Do you really think that there is divine possession ?

In this case, how do they do this ? Who gave them this power ? How does it come this practice is more common in India than in developped countries ?

Well actually, I was not used to seeing this as I live abroad.

Overhere, this kind of practice are rare and even criticized because allways related to money and charlatans are allways available ;-).

In india, it is more common, right.

Do you think their advice is true ? Do you really think that there is divine possession ?

In this case, how do they do this ? Who gave them this power ? How does it come this practice is more common in India than in developped countries ?

Arjun2826 Ji,

I cannot answer your questions about mediums in India, it is very unfair for me to generalize them, as I am a foreigner.

Trance is a possible thing. But the credibility of the medium and accuracy of predictions are not easy to measure. People ask assistance from mediums when in misery or some kind of problems that they can't handle....so in that condition everthing seems true.

There are indeed good mediums too. In my country, the mediums usually are trained by their guru. So they are to an extent advanced spiritually. Well I do not have much knowledge further than this. So I think I better stop commenting.

Namaste.

They also have this phenomenon in Tibetan Buddhism. I read about this in the book Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of The Dalai Lama. He offers a detailed explanation of this phenomenon and explained how and why he consults with people like that regularly to inform him on different matters. I personally don't trust anything like this.

Actually, if this was not true, that would mean that some people are cheating in temples.

And as these people are very god believers, I don't think they could do this.

Afterwards, there may be an other explanation for their so strange behavior.

Does anybody have an explanation ? Isn't it strange ?

Actually, if this was not true, that would mean that some people are cheating in temples. And as these people are very god believers, I don't think they could do this.

A lot of them are cheating. But there are real cases as well, where a person becomes possessed by a Yaksha, Raksha, Bhuta, etc. You have to judge each case individually.

Actually, if this was not true, that would mean that some people are cheating in temples.

And as these people are very god believers, I don't think they could do this.

Afterwards, there may be an other explanation for their so strange behavior.

Does anybody have an explanation ? Isn't it strange ?

It is rare when somebody is Possessed with Good or unkind spirits,though it does happen.

Most of the cases it is deliberate cheating and in some cases disturbed psyche plays a role.

I have seen this happen before. Once was in the temple which is near where I live. There was a special Abishegam being performed, and some woman started screaming. Her tongue was sticking out like Kali's, she had her arms outstretched and she was she was moving slowly, unnaturally, not like the way a person normally does.

I also saw the same thing happen to a woman at the Batu Caves on Thaipusam 2008. Same shrieking, slow, methodical movements. My wife told me that she was scared by the people in trances.

The phenomena has occured in Christianity as well. Pentecostals and Charismatics speak "in tongues" where they babble a whole lot of gibberish. I have heard my godmother speak in a strange language on two occaisions. I thought that it may have been Maori, which she speaks, but it contained the "sh" sound, which doesn't exist in Maori. I also went to a Charismatic Mass, where two men prayed over me, saying things in strange languages. One of them started saying "Allahu Akbar" over and over again at one point. I could have faked something like this and pretended to "speak in tongues" as well. I don't know if the people who do it are really in trance or if they are just making it up (although that would seem out of character for Christians).

HI!

Well, am from Mauritius, and i am a hindu. I have seen many People going in a state of Trance. Basically there are 2 types of prayers - saatvik (right-path) or Tantrick (left-path). In saatvik prayers, there is nofing as a state of trance and the worshipper is in complete consciousness. Whereas in Tantrik puja, the Sadhak, pujaari or worshipper aims at establishing a direct communication with the deity being worshipped. This is especially true for the Prayers of Kaali or other deities and spirits. Tantrik prayers for Kateri, Bhairav, Hanumaan, Dee-Shayar, Gawraya-baba, Devi kankaar, sat-bahini Devi, muruga, Madurai-veeran, Idumban, guardian deities (grand Dimoune), Minisse prince, Genie Grande-Croix all involve states of trance. The pujari usually kneels down and concentrates on the deity and invokes him to come into his body, then the pujari starts to vibrate, and shake in jerky movements, and speaks to the attendent of the pujari who usually asks for blessings etc...

I am not sure about the part if their answers come to be true or not but I know one thing that i had come to know about a lady who often wnet into trance. she had said that she gets so much engrossed in the meditation on God that she forgets everything around and when she finally comes out of it she doesn't know what happened all the while she was in a trance.

Hi I'm from south africa .About 150 years ago a group of indians moved from india to south africa bringing the culture with them. I'm a descendant of this group . There are different gods and goddesses and therefore people can get different trances . When a person goes into trance the gods spirit comes into the person. Depending on how strong the trance is , the god can be in complete control or not in complete control. many people who get trance only speak english yet they are speaking hindi or tamil in trance , this is because the god spirit is talking and not the person. They usually have someone to translate to english. when I person can get trance it is also passed down to their children and their children can also get it when they old enough and have faith but many times even a child can get it. In some trances the trance doesn't speak but just blesses people . The trance that most people who run a temple at home get is kali trance. People go for many reasons especially when trying to get rid of evil .

I myself have also seen people acting very strangly giving prophecy and speaking in gibbererish and doing foolish things along with many times fake healings all around the giving of ties and money to the church. This foolishness always apearead demonic to me and more about giving over money than ecperence and learning about GOD.

This one of the many reasons why I abandend christianity and found krishna.

Hiduism is to me more about personal union with GOD and devine than listening to channelers because many people who channel are frauds but not all channelling are fake this phenemon is also real believe from what I see.

I have been witness to this kind of an incident once when i had been to a Hanuman temple. While the evening pooja was being performed, a lady suddenly started shrieking and jumping about. Her cheeks were puffed and she almost looked like a monkey. She started jumping around me and then told me that there is a photo of hanuman in the north side of my pooja room, she told me to do pooja for that photo with one banana, and then she went away. I was quite shocked since that particular photo had just been kept there by me a day before this incident. And not even my own family members had come to know of the photo yet. I did as i was told and am extremely grateful and happy that Lord Hanuman communicated to me through that lady. Jai Hanuman. Hare Rama

Hi all,

I have been in India recently and I went in a hindu temple to pray.

I saw their a man who works in the temple the whole day.

People were sitting down and waiting in line.

Then, he fell down while praying. And he started to speak strangely.

My cousin who was used to seeing this kind of phenomenon in lots of temple in India, told me that God has come in this man and people were there to ask him questions about their futur. He answered them all, one by one, concerning many topics as marriage, recovering money, school studies... He was in a kind of trance.

After one hour, he finished answering all questions, became then normal and could'nt remember what he said earlier.

It was quite strange.

Have you ever heard that ? what is this exactely ?

hi i am from South Africa Durban and the Hindu Trance is one of the most devine state a person can ever reach.i speak from experience.to achieve this in life is one of the most honourable achievement a person can get.this is a common practice in South Africa amongst the Hindus here.the state of trance cannot be discribed because the are no words that can give you the feeling that is felt during and after the trance.the only way you can reach a state of trance is true devotion to GOD.Love All Serve All

elo.......i find it really mysterious wen people go into a trance........some people shake themselves...some cross their hands togezer....and lift their hands up....and sone have their tongue out during a devi puja...but their are some people..preferrably girls cry very loudly..uncontrollable...fall down....crying loud maa...maa...???is this trance.....and to what type of people does it occur.....................?????????

Hi, first real post on this forum :)

I've seen people in trances before (both in India and once in the UK where i reside) i have mixed views on this

first of all, i want to say i hope i don't offend anyone with what i say, and if i do, please forgive me as it was not intentional

I am genuinely scared when people are in this trance like state, i find it quite frightening and unnerving. the voice tends to change and the breathing becomes heavier and deeper.

i have to be honest, i don't really like this trance state, its a little odd then when a spirit enters the body, that the possessed act in such a frightening manner, i would have thought if it is a light being or spirit that enters, the person would be more approachable and friendlier in appearance

with regards to whether there are liars who deliberately lead people astray, i'm in two minds.

There are those who exist who are liars and cheaters in this matter, but i also feel that there are some who get into a trance like state and feel like they are communicating with God. Whether they are or not depends on those who choose to believe in this. i am quite skeptical if i am honest, i don't truly, in my heart, believe that people are being possessed by the lord, but i do believe that those who are possessed are not faking being possessed but truly believe they are possessed if that makes sense

anyway thats my sort of 2 cents on the matter :)

maybe i have misunderstood this, and would love for people to educate me on the matter as my knowledge is quite poor on the matter, but i am more then willing to learn

Guest Kim

Hi all, to tell you the truth it is a blessing to have a God in you. As I have heard that it chooses the person it wants to be in. The God will always guide and protect you. It is not strange but faith and religion. Which is by far the bestest aspect of all.

I just literally finished matric but in the June holidays I found out I have the mother trance, which is a complete shock to me, because I didn't know I could get. It just shows me I have been blessed in my matric year and that it was the greatest gift anyone could offer me:)

Guest luei95

Hi im not from India but i have see alot of people get trance mostly because i come from a big family and 75 percent of the people in my family get trance. They when they get the trance they are usually able to do incredible feats when in trance. The people in my family usually start getting trance form early on in their life.my family gets trance without the help of any guru or teachers.but 1 thing i really want to know is why their is so many people in my family who gets Trance

Guest kathy

Hi all

im from south Africa. And yes I have seen trance. I am a true believe sum1 very dear to me has nine different trances. It's a blessing you have to see it to believe it. I am a true believe. Lord ganesha is my hero. I have seen miracles through prayers and im sure that many off you have too. Neva give up on god. Have faith.