IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sant

sadhana history?

Rate this topic

JAI SHRI RADHE

What does the word sadhana mean?

I dont remember coming across this 'sadhana' word in any of the scriptures.

So where does this word come from?

Ans.From hindi.

Sadhana is not a sanskrit word it is a hindi word.

There is no path such as sadhana path mentioned in the scriptures.

It includes a variety of disciplines from Hindu and Buddhsit traditions that are followed in order to achieve various spiritual or ritual objectives.

The historian N. Bhattacharyya provides a working definition of the benefits of sadhana as follows:

"... religious sādhanā, which both prevents an excess of worldliness and moulds the mind and disposition (bhāva) into a form which develops the knowledge of dispassion and non-attachment. Sādhanā is a means whereby bondage becomes liberation.

Kinds of Sadhana

Sakaam Sadhana

Sakaam (Devnagari = सकाम, Sa = yes / with, Kaam = desire) Sadhana is spiritual practice done for worldly pleasures. This is the lowest form of sadhana. There is no spiritual progress with sakaam sadhana. Examples of sakaam sadhana is praying for any worldly goals like getting money, job, marriage or any other aim which is temporary and will not last beyond death. In Ramayana it was mentioned that though Ravana and kumbhkarana were great devotees of Shiva and performed various tapas, they were performing sakaam sadhana as their main aim was to become powerful and rule the world.

Nishkaam Sadhana

Nishkaam (Devnagari= निश्काम, Ni = no / without, Kaam= desire) sadhana is spiritual practice done for higher aims. It is done to achieve the aim of enlightenmentor moksha . It is done for the spiritual upliftment of the individual so that he is taken out of the cycle of life and death (samsara).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadhana

JAI SHRI RADHE

What does the word sadhana mean?

I dont remember coming across this 'sadhana' word in any of the scriptures.

So where does this word come from?

Ans.From hindi.

Sadhana is not a sanskrit word it is a hindi word.

There is no path such as sadhana path mentioned in the scriptures.

It includes a variety of disciplines from Hindu and Buddhsit traditions that are followed in order to achieve various spiritual or ritual objectives.

The sadhana may not appear in your scriptures. You say there is no path of sadhana mentioned in the scriptures but then you go on to say there are a varitey of disciplines mentioned in Hindu and Buddhist traditions. Are those disciplines not sadhana's?

So the paths are mentioned but perhaps not the word.

I don't see this as important. I usually use the word practice to describe sadhana being an English speaker.

Sakaam Sadhana

Sakaam (Devnagari = सकाम, Sa = yes / with, Kaam = desire) Sadhana is spiritual practice done for worldly pleasures. This is the lowest form of sadhana. There is no spiritual progress with sakaam sadhana. Examples of sakaam sadhana is praying for any worldly goals like getting money, job, marriage or any other aim which is temporary and will not last beyond death. In Ramayana it was mentioned that though Ravana and kumbhkarana were great devotees of Shiva and performed various tapas, they were performing sakaam sadhana as their main aim was to become powerful and rule the world.

Nishkaam Sadhana

Nishkaam (Devnagari= निश्काम, Ni = no / without, Kaam= desire) sadhana is spiritual practice done for higher aims. It is done to achieve the aim of enlightenmentor moksha . It is done for the spiritual upliftment of the individual so that he is taken out of the cycle of life and death (samsara).

This is helpful although the Vaisnavas teach that moksa is not the final goal, Moksa is the platform from which pure bhakti is performed.

Pure Bhkti is the goal.

The sadhana may not appear in your scriptures

Sir I thought the scriptures are for everybody.

Are those disciplines not sadhana's?

I meant the word sadhana is not mentioned in any scripture.

From 'It' includes starts the wiki information.

I said the paths are not mentioned as its become a trend to use this word instead of bhakti marg ,or gyana marg or karam marg.

surely the definiton can vary from person to person.Some will say that sadhana is a part of bhakti yoga and some might consider it non different.

you have finished through all scriptures ???

No but the word sadhana is new to me and i dont think youl find it in the scriptures even a translation of any sanskrit word. The word sadhana is a new word whose defintion is not the same and is not a translation of any word in the scriptures.

Sorry my wording was incomplete. By your scriptures I meant those accessable to you by your knowing the original language.

Sorry my wording was incomplete. By your scriptures I meant those accessable to you by your knowing the original language.

im also sorry for any confusion.

Quote:

I said it in a lighthearted way.

im also sorry for any confusion.

Quote:

I said it in a lighthearted way.

Yes I took it that way,:) but still wanted to clarify my statement.

Sadhana is a Sanskrit term used very frequently in Tantric literature. The Wikipedia article is wrong. This article represents the Point of View of an individual. Please see the talk page.

The author of this article does not consider any Tantric Sadhana at all. The Tantras do not exist according to this article.

I will post the entomology of the word and its occurrence in Tantrik and other scriptures tomorrow after verification.

This term is used so often in spiritual quest In Hinduism that we take it for granted.

Sadhana is a Sanskrit term used very frequently in Tantric literature. The Wikipedia article is wrong. This article represents the Point of View of an individual. Please see the talk page.

Correct.

Shankara from the 8th century, wrote the sanskrit poem, Sadhana Panchakam. Advaita also contains the core concept of Sadhana Chatustaya, the fourfold qualifications necessary for the serious aspirant. These are all essential qualities for the student and if I recall correctly, this is explained in Atma Bodha - another work of Shankara.

Sadhana clearly has a much wider usage than what is found on that wikipedia page.

Cheers

Correct.

Shankara from the 8th century, wrote the sanskrit poem, Sadhana Panchakam. Advaita also contains the core concept of Sadhana Chatustaya, the fourfold qualifications necessary for the serious aspirant. These are all essential qualities for the student and if I recall correctly, this is explained in Atma Bodha - another work of Shankara.

Sadhana clearly has a much wider usage than what is found on that wikipedia page.

Cheers

Thank you

i apolgise

But why does the wikipedia say it is a hindi word.

And does vedik scripture mentions it ?

Maybe it is used in modern sanskrit but not in ancient sanskrit.

I think ive got it.

The word is sadhan that should be the sanskrit word.

sadhan means -'means to do something'.

The sanskrit word can be sadhan and as sanskrit words change sadhana can become sadhanam,sadhanah,sadhanaa.

Please correct if i am wrong.

Sadhana is a Sanskrit word meaning

1. Accomplishment, fulfillment, completion

2. Worship, adoration

3. Conciliation, propitiation

Sanskrit-English dictionary by V.S. Apte.

Sadhana Panchakam of Adi Sankara is older than the Hindi language.

Sadhana is a Sanskrit word meaning

1. Accomplishment, fulfillment, completion

2. Worship, adoration

3. Conciliation, propitiation

Sanskrit-English dictionary by V.S. Apte.

Sadhana Panchakam of Adi Sankara is older than the Hindi language.

Ok then you must be write

Thank you

I APOLIOISE TO THE MEMBERS

But tell me is there any vedik place or puranic place the word is used.

can anyone tell me the word sadhana as written in sanskrit with proper pronounciation and show me is it same as the word in sadhana panchakam.

Can any one tell the meaning of panchakam and its pronunciation.

The wikipedia article called sadhana a Hindi term. But the reference was to Sanskrit Dictionary by V.S. Apte. No one seems to have noticed it so far. It has since been corrected.

As I posted in another thread there are many Hindi zealots in India for whom anything written in Devanagari script is Hindi.

The wikipedia article called sadhana a Hindi term. But the reference was to Sanskrit Dictionary by V.S. Apte. No one seems to have noticed it so far. It has since been corrected.

As I posted in another thread there are many Hindi zealots in India for whom anything written in Devanagari script is Hindi.

Did you find the word in your verification.

I will post the entomology of the word and its occurrence in Tantrik and other scriptures tomorrow after verification

Bhaktivedanta VedaBase: Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Ādi 3.67

āńgopāńga astra kare sva-kārya-sādhana

'ańga'-śabdera artha āra śuna diyā mana

SYNONYMS

āńga-upāńga — plenary parts and associates; astra — weapons; karedo; sva-kārya — of their own business; sādhanaas the accomplishment; ańga-śabdera — of the word ańga; artha — the meaning; āra — another; śuna — please hear; diyā — giving; mana — the mind.

TRANSLATION

His plenary parts and associates perform the work of weapons as their own specific duties. Please hear from me another meaning of the word "ańga."

See the word here.

sadhana

sādhana — as the accomplishment; CC Adi 3.67

sambhoga-sādhana — brings about the enjoyment; CC Adi 4.182

sādhana-bhakti — another name of this process, "devotional service in practice"; CC Adi 7.142

sādhana-sāhasraiḥ — execution of thousands of sacrifices; CC Adi 8.17

sādhana-rīti — process of devotional service; CC Adi 10.103

sādhana — process; CC Adi 16.10

sādhya-sādhana — objective and means; CC Adi 16.11

sādhana — process; CC Adi 16.13

sādhya-sādhana — the objective and the process; CC Adi 16.15

sādhana — means; CC Adi 16.83

sādhana — the collecting; CC Madhya 4.148

sādhya-sādhana — objectives and transcendental practices; CC Madhya 6.197

bhakti-sādhana — in the execution of devotional service; CC Madhya 6.241

sādhana — and of the process; CC Madhya 8.118

sādhana vinu — without practicing the process; CC Madhya 8.197

sādhya-sādhana — the aim of life and how to achieve it; CC Madhya 9.255

sādhya-sādhana — the aim of life and how to achieve it; CC Madhya 9.255

śreṣṭha sādhana — the best means of achievement; CC Madhya 9.256

parama-sādhana — best process of achievement; CC Madhya 9.258

sādhana — the process of achievement; CC Madhya 9.271

sādhana — process of achievement; CC Madhya 9.272

sādhana — performance; CC Madhya 16.69

sādhana — how to approach it; CC Madhya 18.202

sādhana karile — even executing devotional service according to the regulative routine; CC Madhya 19.175

sādhana-bhakti — the process of regularly rendering devotional service; CC Madhya 19.177

sādhana — of the process of obtaining that goal; CC Madhya 20.103

prāptyera sādhana — the means of attaining Kṛṣṇa; CC Madhya 20.124

sādhana-bhakti — regulative principles for executing devotional service; CC Madhya 22.104

sādhana-abhidhā — called sādhana-bhakti, or devotional service in practice; CC Madhya 22.105

sādhana-bhakti — process of devotional service; CC Madhya 22.108

sādhana-bhaktira — of regulative devotional service; CC Madhya 22.114

sādhana-ańga-sāra — the essential parts of the practice of devotional service; CC Madhya 22.114

sakala-sādhana — of all items for executing devotional service; CC Madhya 22.129

bahu ańga-sādhana — execution of many processes of devotional service; CC Madhya 22.135

sādhana — such processes of execution; CC Madhya 22.156-157

sādhana-bhakti — devotional service performed by means of the body and senses; CC Madhya 22.167

sādhana-bhakti — devotional service in practice; CC Madhya 22.168

sādhana-bhaktye — by devotional service; CC Madhya 23.10

sādhana — the execution of regulative devotional service; CC Madhya 24.30

tri-vidha sādhana — the three kinds of execution; CC Madhya 24.79

sādhana — practice for perfection; CC Madhya 24.92

sādhana — execution of spiritual life; CC Madhya 24.93

sādhana — practice; CC Madhya 24.109

sādhana — activities of devotional service; CC Madhya 24.172

sādhana pradhāna — the chief processes of devotion; CC Madhya 24.193

sādhana-siddha — liberated to the position of associates by perfection in devotional service; CC Madhya 24.287

sādhana-siddha — those who have perfected themselves by devotional service; CC Madhya 24.290

sādhana bhaktira vidhāna — the authorized means of executing devotional service; CC Madhya 24.352

sādhana-bhakti — the practice of devotional service; CC Madhya 25.103

sādhana-bhaktira — of the process of executing devotional service; CC Madhya 25.120

sādhana-bhakti — of devotional service; CC Madhya 25.121

sādhana-prayojana — the execution of service and the achievement of the ultimate goal; CC Madhya 25.147

sādhana-bhaktira — of the discharge of devotional service; CC Madhya 25.259

sādhana — instrument; CC Antya 4.78

karāya sādhana — teaches regularly; CC Antya 5.26

karaha sādhana — induce to accept the service; CC Antya 6.165

sādhana — how to execute it; CC Antya 6.234

sādhana — of the performances; CC Antya 20.13

sādhana — the agency; Bs 5.44