IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
contactlink

why Abishekam is done at Hindu temples?

Rate this topic

Abhishekham in temples are meant to thank god, every article used during the abhishekam has it's own significance. Since god provided us with many things in this world, this considered as a way to express gratititude. The rituals are found in sastras. I am of no profound knowledge of sastras, but this is what I learnt/heard so far. Apologies in advance if anything that I said felt wrong. Corrections from fellow members, greatly appreciated. Thank you

Abhishekham in temples are meant to thank god, every article used during the abhishekam has it's own significance. Since god provided us with many things in this world, this considered as a way to express gratititude.

this concept of thanking god is way too christian . and till date i have not yet come across any significance associated with abhishek artcles .

its merely a form of personal devotion to god . god being a person is cared , fed , clothed and loved by the devotee . devadasis see to their recreation and chariot festivals are their holidaying . similarly abhishekam is nothing but his bath . just a way of expressing the love we have towards him . we like to believe that he is dependent on us and he has the same needs as us .

this concept of thanking god is way too christian . and till date i have not yet come across any significance associated with abhishek artcles .

its merely a form of personal devotion to god . god being a person is cared , fed , clothed and loved by the devotee . devadasis see to their recreation and chariot festivals are their holidaying . similarly abhishekam is nothing but his bath . just a way of expressing the love we have towards him . we like to believe that he is dependent on us and he has the same needs as us .

Respected Sambya Ji,

Your points are noted and appreciated. Thanks.

Just to add

The term used in the Puja is Snapayami or snanam samarpayami. (giving bath)

kshirena-snapayami. (Milk)

dadnasnapayami (Curd)

madhuna snapayami.(Honey)

ajyena-snapayami. (Ghee)

sharkarayasnapayami.(Sugar)

In Kalighat Kali temple we have the annual Snan.

The five ingredients have symbolic significance.

a pandit told me that it is done as a ritual just before you do puja you get cleaned and get ready similarly deity is also gotten ready with rituals.Abhishekham can be mantra abhishekham,abhishekham with milk etc.

i read somewhere it is done to invoke the deity.

a pandit told me that it is done as a ritual just before you do puja you get cleaned and get ready similarly deity is also gotten ready with rituals.Abhishekham can be mantra abhishekham,abhishekham with milk etc.

i read somewhere it is done to invoke the deity.

yes thats the abhishekam before prana-pratishta- the purificatory abhishekam . in durga puja of bengal an elaborate abhishekam needs to be done on the reflected image of the originally clay deity to purify her before life can be infused and is also continued for the reat of the days till vijaya dashami . and this abhishekam is the most elaborate as per my knowledge . apart from the usual panchamrita , panchyagabya and fruit juices some of the other items used are - water from all tirthas, water from sarawati , tribeni , bindu sarobar , sea , rain water , water of dew drops , coconut water , sugarcane juice , sarvaushadi , mahoushadi(medicinal herbs powder) goldwater ,siverwater, mandakini water , clay from both sides of a river , clay from doorstpes of a temple , clay from doorsteps of a royal palace , clay from yagyashala , clay stuck on the tip of a boars teeth , clay stuck on a horse's teeth , clay stuck on the tip of a elephants tusk , clay from himalayas , clay from a four point road crossing , ganga clay , sahsradhara etc etc . then comes the eight different pitchers containing eight different waters like sandal water , lotus water etc each of which is to be poured with singing of a mantra in a particular ragini or raga and paricular instruments . for example 1st pitcher-lotus water with malavi raag and panchavadya(metallic sound, drums , conch, vina and jayadhwani in voice) !!

but day to day abhishekam in any temple are merely his regular bath -- like in case of salagram shila .