IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
SujataChandra

Gurukulams in India

Rate this topic

OM!

I want to know about traditional Gurukulams in India specially in south. Can any one give the information about these Gurukuls where young students can learn Vedas under traditional system?? Very less information is available about Gurukuls in India as they are not very popular.

We want to admit my Brothers Son in Gurukul. At what age do they take students?

OM!

I want to know about traditional Gurukulams in India specially in south. Can any one give the information about these Gurukuls where young students can learn Vedas under traditional system?? Very less information is available about Gurukuls in India as they are not very popular.

We want to admit my Brothers Son in Gurukul. At what age do they take students?

These are called Veda Patashalas. I know a number of them all over India. These are regional in character. Of course people from outside the state also do join rarely. Again there are other restrictions in admission.

The normal age of admission is eight.

Please let me know your place of residence. The Veda and Sakha which you follow. All the Patashalas do not teach all the Vedas. Then the Sakha restrictions.

Let me warn you that these Veda Patashalas are not like residential schools. The food and other facilities are kept at the basic minimum level with hardly any creature comforts. This is how our ancestors lived.

But if you are not really looking for a Veda Patashala, but for a school based on Gurukulam principles Rishi Valley school is the best in India. Google the name for details.

We dont know much about Vedas. We are looking at Holistic approach. We are looking at a Gurukul where they teach Vedas, Sankhya Yog, Gita, Upnishads etc and teach other modern subjects too. Also they should undergo Yog, pranayam training for physic.

I know the facilities are not very good and they have to stay in very strict

atmosphere. Thats ok as long as they get good spirutual education.

We are staying in Pune. But we dont mind where the Gurukul is located. I heard there are very good Gurukuls - Veda pathashals in south as knowledge of veda is intact in south more. I am looking at a good traditional gurukul. Can you pls give me more information about the education in such veda pathashals?

How about the veda pathashalas in Kerala and Coimbatoor? Or may be Utranchal?

I am sorry. I do not know of any organization running such schools. The Veda Patashalas are not what you are looking for. In Veda Patashalas what is learnt is the ancient Oral tradition of rendering the Vedas.

Rishi Valley School was started with such an idea. It is good. Ramakrishna Mission school at Narendrapur is again a good school. But non-Bengalis may have a problem. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan has many schools where the basic Hindu values are taught.

I have not heard of any such schools in Kerala, Coimbatore, or Uttarakand.

This does not mean that such schools do not exist. Only that I am not aware of them.

:) Thanks! I chekced out the Ramakrishna School in West Bengal. Its really good. I just got some information from ARYA SAMAJ about their Gurukuls where everything is thought in Sanskrit, even the day to day work is carried in Sanskrit. It will be nice of you if you can give me the information about these traditional Gurukuls. I do understand that Veda and Shakha can be problem, but honestly we dont have much knowledge about it.

Please guide us!

We dont know much about Vedas. We are looking at Holistic approach. We are looking at a Gurukul where they teach Vedas, Sankhya Yog, Gita, Upnishads etc and teach other modern subjects too. Also they should undergo Yog, pranayam training for physic.

I know the facilities are not very good and they have to stay in very strict

atmosphere. Thats ok as long as they get good spirutual education.

We are staying in Pune. But we dont mind where the Gurukul is located. I heard there are very good Gurukuls - Veda pathashals in south as knowledge of veda is intact in south more. I am looking at a good traditional gurukul. Can you pls give me more information about the education in such veda pathashals?

How about the veda pathashalas in Kerala and Coimbatoor? Or may be Utranchal?

If you are looking for Veda education alone there are a number of Patasals run by Shri kanchi Kamakoti shankara mutt at Kanchi,Kumbakonam etc.But if you looking for Oriental school which along side teaches modern education along with vedic studies,there is one school in Chennai in West Mambalam run by Sri Ahobila mutt (Vaishnava sect) and also Bangalore has one CBSE school with Vedic studies run by Kanchi shankara mutt as a residential school

Om

Did you find any good Gurukulams .

I am researching a Gurukulam with both Vedic Education and basic Math Science education.

This is for my son.

What is the usual lower limit of admitting children? Is it 5yr or 8 yrs?

Thank you in advance for you help

Om