IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Ananta Sesa

The light of the stars; reflections of the Sun or their own light?

Rate this topic

First of all, you have to look at the translation of this verse, BG 13.34.

yathā prakāśayaty ekaḥ

kṛtsnaḿ lokam imaḿ raviḥ

kṣetraḿ kṣetrī tathā kṛtsnaḿ

prakāśayati bhārata

SYNONYMS

yathāas; prakāśayati — illuminates; ekaḥ — one; kṛtsnam — the whole; lokam — universe; imam — this; raviḥ — sun; kṣetram — this body; kṣetrī — the soul; tathā — similarly; kṛtsnam — all; prakāśayati — illuminates; bhārataO son of Bharata.

,The word 'lokam' simply means 'this world' or 'this place', refering not necesarily to Brahmanda, but to our earthly realm.

examples of translation of this word: http://vedabase.net/l/lokam

exactly my point.

exactly my point.

:)

I remember reading somewhere in the Puranas (Markandeya?), that each of the 14 worlds (lokas) within this Universe (brahmanda) is separated from others in every way. Thus what you see in the sky is not higher planets, but at best their reflection within our world - like an image of a Moon in a lake.

Shri Swaminarayan also stated that the sun illuminates the stars and the rest of the Brahmaand.

Yes it seems to be the idea taught in the Vedas. I do not accept it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by santdasji

Shri Swaminarayan also stated that the sun illuminates the stars and the rest of the Brahmaand.

Yes it seems to be the idea taught in the Vedas. I do not accept it.

So you accept ex-President George *Bush's idea!

[*along with all the worlds' leaders and movers and shakers.]

So you accept ex-President George *Bush's idea!

[*along with all the worlds' leaders and movers and shakers.]

Be coherent. What does Bush have to do with this topic? I do not accept the Bhagvatam's cosmology. You do. Fine. The universe according to the SB has a diameter of 4 or 5 billion miles. You believe that if you like but it has been shown to be much much larger.

Yes I accept that modern science has a much better view of some things, and this being one of them.

You can accept that the one sun in our solar system is providing enough light

to bounce off all those stars (planets in your view) but I find the idea lacking.

Ever hear of a super nova? These things are observable phenomena at this point in history.

According to the one sun theory when our sun dies the whole universe will become void of light and the life giving energy of sunshine and therefor will also die out.

Believe what you like. It is nothing to me. But when these ideas get presented alongside transcendental knowledge the reality is people tend to not listen to the transcendental knowledge because they cannot take the so-called science of the Bhagavatam seriously.

"Take the essence" and leave the rest.

Be coherent?

I love your anti-establishment schtick backed-up with resolute apathy and self-loathing ---so hip and reflective of our pop-culture!

"but it has been shown to be much much . . . " {so says theist's 'material-masters'}.

The rest are simply living a life of gigantic anxiety &

mass monetary dis-investments &

higher taxes for the military &

forced labor &

electronic border survailance &

inflated insurance premiums &

security-baggage-check-queues &

deflating economies &

cheap hooker auditions interupted by advertisements to donate to the schooling of poor mexican farm children

. . . ala Vita bellezza . . . or bust . . .

Please don't substitute your sadhana for discussions of siddanta, please.

Be coherent?

I love your anti-establishment schtick backed-up with resolute apathy and self-loathing ---so hip and reflective of our pop-culture!

"but it has been shown to be much much . . . " {so says theist's 'material-masters'}.

The rest are simply living a life of gigantic anxiety &

mass monetary dis-investments &

higher taxes for the military &

forced labor &

electronic border survailance &

inflated insurance premiums &

security-baggage-check-queues &

deflating economies &

cheap hooker auditions interupted by advertisements to donate to the schooling of poor mexican farm children

. . . ala Vita bellezza . . . or bust . . .

Please don't substitute your sadhana for discussions of siddanta, please.

I am sure your posts make sense to you but I am afraid to you alone. I did notice you made no attempt to address any of the on-topic points I raised but instead went straight into babbling mode. There is no point in continuing this.

I have no problem with those who disagree with me. You can live in your world of the Moon being a heavenly self-effulgent plant which is more distant than the Sun if you like. The moon is a good example of reflecting the sunlight. The stars are not.

"Take the essence" and leave the rest.

This is 'chinese-menu' style choosing of 'instruction'.

or

the pathos of a paramahansa.

???,

Bhaktajan

Actually the quote is from Srila Prabhupada in a letter discussing analogies in the Bhagavatam like Rahu the headless demon trying to eat the moon.

I'll post it again.

Letter to: Krsnadasa

Vrindaban

7 November, 1972

72-11-07

My Dear Krsnadasa,

Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated October 30, 1972, and I have noted the contents. It appears that you are again constantly disturbed by the same nonsense doubts. These things are not very important, we may not waste our time with these insignificant questions. If we are seeking to find out some fault, maya will give us all facility to find any small thing and make it very big, that is maya. But such questions as yours: why there is so-called discrepancy between the views of Bhagavat and modern scientists regarding the moon and other planets, and whether Hitler is good or bad man, these are most insignificant matters, and for anyone who is sincerely convinced that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for him these questions do not arise. Our information comes from Vedas, and if we believe Krishna, that

vedaham samatitani

vartamanani carjuna

bhavisyani ca bhutani

mam tu veda na kascana

[bg. 7.26]

that He knows everything, and "vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyo vedanta-krd veda-vid eva caham [Bg. 15.15],'' that Krishna is non-different from Vedas, then these questions do not arise.

<div class="Letter">But because you have asked me, I am your spiritual master, I must try to answer to your satisfaction. Yes, sometimes in Vedas such things like the asura's decapitated head chasing after Candraloka, sometimes it is explained allegorically. Just like now we are explaining in 4th Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam the story of King Puranjana. Just like the living entity is living within this body, and the body is described there as city with nine gates, the intelligence as the Queen. So there are sometimes allegorical explanations. So <span class="Siksamrta">

Letter to: Krsnadasa

Vrindaban

7 November, 1972

72-11-07

My Dear Krsnadasa,

Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated October 30, 1972, and I have noted the contents. It appears that you are again constantly disturbed by the same nonsense doubts. These things are not very important, we may not waste our time with these insignificant questions. If we are seeking to find out some fault, maya will give us all facility to find any small thing and make it very big, that is maya. But such questions as yours: why there is so-called discrepancy between the views of Bhagavat and modern scientists regarding the moon and other planets, and whether Hitler is good or bad man, these are most insignificant matters, and for anyone who is sincerely convinced that Krishna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for him these questions do not arise. Our information comes from Vedas, and if we believe Krishna, that

vedaham samatitani

vartamanani carjuna

bhavisyani ca bhutani

mam tu veda na kascana

[bg. 7.26]

that He knows everything, and "vedais ca sarvair aham eva vedyo vedanta-krd veda-vid eva caham [Bg. 15.15],'' that Krishna is non-different from Vedas, then these questions do not arise.

<div class="Letter">But because you have asked me, I am your spiritual master, I must try to answer to your satisfaction. Yes, sometimes in Vedas such things like the asura's decapitated head chasing after Candraloka, sometimes it is explained allegorically. Just like now we are explaining in 4th Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam the story of King Puranjana. Just like the living entity is living within this body, and the body is described there as city with nine gates, the intelligence as the Queen. So there are sometimes allegorical explanations. So <span class="Siksamrta">

Bravo Theist,

This is the final word/final verdict on this topic as explained by a Maha-Bhagavata such as Srila Prabhupada.

But, [for adherents of Vedic Brahamanas] Srila Prabhupada did say therein, 'nonsense doubts' . . .

The Topic is:

"Things that are not very important"

along with some sub-points:

a] 'nonsense doubts' &

b] 'whether a thing(s) is good or bad'.

c] 'maya will give us all facility to find any small thing and make it very big' --[ie: "The Frog in the Well Mentality", thinking all-the-world of his abode mentality]

We are being held back in the pursuit of Freedom, liberty and the pursuit of HAPPINESS ---because we have been soooooooooo beholding to the public-relations-stumbling-block-obstacle-course of modern kali-yuga miscreants ---Who now are all too occupied with more pressing matters, like training-up Farsi translators . . . very dis-encouraging isn't it?

Anyway, I digress (as usual) --we do know even how to begin to demonstrate, beyond a reasonanble doubt, how to varify what the scientists claim nor what the Bhagavatam Claims except by doing it ourselves and experiencing ourselves [rather than relying on forth-hand information from authorities with self-interested agendas].

Speaking of which, it would behove me to point out that the letter you so expertly revealed for our edification is dated 7 November, 1972 --the Vietnam War was in still in full swing --the same era as the motto: "Don't trust anyone over 30 years old". IOW, ""Don't trust anyone in the 'establishment' who are propagating the Big Lies".

PS: King Puranjana along with all allegorical explanations in the Bhagavatam are EXPLAINED AND DESCRIBED therein as allegorical --not to be confused with Non-allegorical EXPLAINATIONS AN DESCRIPTIONS that no one thinks is an allegory. Also, I do agree with you that there are many things we should avoid discussing in a public venue [ie: religion, politics and who the Wizard of Oz really is, or, as happened to here ---someone had chastised me for explaing the importance of the Holy-Name . . . luckily for me I found a verse by Lord Chaitanya that praised the need to deliver the Holy name at all costs . . .