IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sandhu.jp

Often a planet is both good and bad, how to decide when we get which result?

Rate this topic

BY VINAY JHA

Often a planet possesses both good and bad attributes. How we should decide when we get which result during the dashās of such a planet of mixed attributes ? For instance, if a student takes appears in an examination during the dashā of such a planet, whether he/will get through or fail? Or will he hover at the passing point ?

For instance, if Jupiter is in moolatrikona in a particular horoscope , it is highly auspicious on account of that. But if it is lord of 6th and 11th houses at the same time, it is highly malefic.

It is wrong to assume that these opposite attributes cancel each other. In rainfall analysis, I found that such planets cause excessive rainfall on account of being in moolatrikona, but cause destruction from rains and/or flooding due to their malefic nature.

I have worked for many years in rain prediction, and there I had faced tricky questions. What will be total amount of rainfall due to a planet which is good (eg, exalted) and bad (eg, in 12th house)? The answer I found, from analysis of past data of 136 years procured from IITM (Pune) is that net result will be nearly ±5% of normal rainfall, if other planets do not influence that particular region (ie, have no aspect and no relation with rain's kāraka). But places pierced (viddha) by malefic planets in Sarvatobhadra chakra in that region will be badly hit by excessive or scanty rainfall depending upon magnitude of aspect, and places pierced by benefics will be blessed with rains conducive to good harvest.

In individual horoscopes, similar situations, however, produce different problems. Many persons are confused about malefic and benefic planets. Jupiter as lord of 3rd and 6th houses is malefic, but if it is situated in mooltrikona, it is benefic as well. Now a question arises : when such a planet will give its good results, and when its malefic fruits will be reaped ?

Rule-I :

The answer is simple : during MD (mahādashā) of Jupiter, one will get good results during AD (antardashā) of Jupiter's own AD or ADs of friendly relatives, and bad results during ADs of enmical planets. This principle works down to prāndashā level. For instance, if such a mixed Jupiter is kāraka of sukshma-dashā, it will give give good results during prāna-dashā of its friends and bad results during prāna-dashā of its enemies.

For instance, a native topped school board exams during Jupiter's MD and Jupiter's AD (pratyantara and sukshma were of auspicious planets too). But the same native failed to get through the examinations just two years later during AD of Saturn, although Saturn was lord of 4th and 5th houses and was therefore auspicious for that native. The cause was mutual enmity and conjunction (yuti) relation between Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter gave its good results during its own AD , but during Saturn's AD mainly the malefic results of Jupiter were manifest, benefic results of both Jupiter and Saturn lied dormant. It was the worst period in the life of that native. He could not leave his house for a long period due to illness, depression and bad relations with everyone, and failed in examinations.

But during Saturn's MD and Jupiter's AD, things were good for the same native, because Saturn, being an auspicious planet (kendresh plus trikonesh) gave its good results through its yuti relative jupiter, and suppressed the bad effects of malefic Jupiter due to mutual enmity. It was the best period in the life of same native and he excelled in whatever he attempted ! Thus, Jupiter's MD gave both best and worst results in the life of a single native.

It is a general principle, which works only when aspects of both planets (eg, planets causing MD and AD) are nearly equal upon the bhāva we are analyzing. If any one of them has very strong influence in comparison to the other planet over that particular bhāva, the stronger planet will break the above rule and give its own good or bad fruits in proportion of its strength.

Net result becomes more complex when influences of other planets are also considered, which we must do, because many influences are effective for whole life irrespective of dashā. For instance, a person will not become long during MD of Saturn and dwarf during MD of Mercury.

Rule-II :

Now let us consider another problem. Suppose we are in a situation in which we an answer in binary language or yes or no. Eg., whether one will pass or fail in an examination, live or die during a critical surgery, etc. Mixed answers will not do under such circumstances. Such cases are rare when a patients neither lives nor dies, and relapses in a coma, or a student's result is washed away by floods in the board office.

In such situations, we have to evaluate the net auspiciousness or inauspiciousness of all the five kāraka planets of five levels of Vimshottari, taking into account benefic and malefic properties of each of them. Long practice coupled with intuition developed by means of inner purity helps in this evaluation. During such an evaluation, an exalted planet in 12th mansion must be counted as a normal planet.

Only general outlines are presented here. Both of above laws work always work perfectly, but only when we follow the siddhānta (mathematics) of ancient sages.

I said above "Both of above laws work always work perfectly, but only when we follow the siddhānta (mathematics) of ancient sages."

Prevalent methods of computing Vimshottari dashās contain two major sources of error in timing, one on account of Drikpakshiya Moon and another on account of wrong duration of 'year' used. Canonical texts strictly define Vimshottari's year to be of 360 days. Solar year is slightly over 365 days. Hence, Solar year must not be used for Vimshottari. Vimshottari is made from lunar asterism (nakshatra). Hence its year is lunar. Lunar year is of 360 lunar days (tithis). This is Vimshottari's year. Unfortunately, few astrologers use this correct year for Vimshottari computations. As a result, there is a 3.07% error in the length of Vimshottari year. If true moon is acurately computed, Vimshottari timing at birth will be correct, but will err by one year after 32.57 years, by two years after 65 years, and so on. As a result, 8% of mahādashā timings and 70% of antar-dashā timings will be wrong ! Very few persons will have accurate pratyantaras in their Vimshottari tables ! If birthtime true moon is also wrong, there will be greater error !

Among all the Vedic softwares I have hitherto seen, only two softwares give the option of selecting lunar year in computing Vimshottari, and few people take advantage of these options ! New theories of predictive astrology (Phalit Jyotisha) are being invented to account for the mismatch in predictions and reality, instead of trying the ancient method of sages.

Some practising astrologers knew this mismatch in timing, but did not know the reason. Dr Kāmeshwar Upādhyāya, former editor of Vishwa Panchānga published by BHU told me many years ago that all planets start giving results many months before their real Vimshottari timing begins. At that time, he was using solar year for Vimshottari reckoning. He is one of the most busy practising astrologers of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:place w:st=<st1:City w:st="on">Varanasi</st1:City></st1:place> and has analysed a remendous number of horoscopes made with the help of all sorts of methods. Now he is convinced that lunar year should be used for Vimshottari reckoning, but fears that majority of astrologers will become his opponent due to professional reasons, hence keeps quiet but uses lunar year in his own computations. Same is the case with some other reputed astrologers.

But there is another, more serious, problem : use of Drikpakshiya Moon in Vedic Astrology, which results in considerable error in Vimshottari reckoning. But the magnitude of this error remains constant throughout the life of a native. For instance, if a planet starts giving its results 6 months before its computed time according to lunar year, all planets will show same error of 6 months throughout the life of that native. Hence, it will be easy to recognize that there is an error of 6 months, which can be remedied by using Saurpakshiya correctives according to ancient techniques. Magnitude of this error is different for different persons, sometimes running into years !

How long this wrong Vimshottari year will prevail is a matter of our collective choice. Test of the pudding lies in tasting it. Predictive (Phalita) astrology of Vedic sages is an exact science, provided we keep true to their Ganita. Grahas of Vedic Jyotisha are deities, according to all ancient authorities, and deities cannot be perceived sensorily. I have dared to write on this blasphemous topic in an age of materialism, in which material objects of sky are believed to be deities. Let me see what is the reaction !

Respected Sandhuji,

This is obviously a much needed article and both the points discussed here are must for every astrologer to remember.

I just did set my software as per 360 days/year of vimshottari dasha. I will follow this in future.

This thread is another feather in your cap.

Thanks a lot

Kind regards

Atul