IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question about astrology vis-a-vis free will and karma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

According to Wikipedia articles,

Scriptures divide Karma into three kinds: Sanchita (accumulated), Prarabdha (fruit-bearing) and Kriyamana (current) karma. All kriyamana karmas become sanchita karma upon completion. From this stock of sanchita karma, a handful is taken out to serve one lifetime and this handful of actions which has begun to bear fruit and which will be exhausted only on their fruit being enjoyed and not otherwise, is known as prarabdha karma. In this way, so long as the stock of sanchita karma lasts, a part of it continues to be taken out as prarabdha karma for being enjoyed in one lifetime, leading to the cycles of birth and death. A jiva cannot attain Moksha until the accumulated sanchita karmas are completely exhausted.[24]

Prarabdha Karma are the part of sanchita karma, a collection of past karmas, which are ready to be experienced through the present body (incarnation) [1].

According to Sri Swami Sivananda: "Prarabdha is that portion of the past karma which is responsible for the present body. That portion of the sanchita karma which influences human life in the present incarnation is called prarabdha. It is ripe for reaping. It cannot be avoided or changed. It is only exhausted by being experienced. You pay your past debts. Prarabdha karma is that which has begun and is actually bearing fruit. It is selected out of the mass of the sanchita karma." - "All About Hinduism" by Sri Swami Sivananda

Each lifetime, a certain portion of the sanchita karma, most suited for the spiritual evolution at the time is chosen to be worked out, during the course of the lifetime. Subsequently this Prarabdha Karma creates circumstances which we are destined to experience in our present lifetime, they also place certain limitations via our physical family, body or life circumstances we are born into, as charted in our birth chart or horoscope, collectively known as fate or destiny (determinism) [2].

Sanchita karma can be mitigated through good actions but not Prarabha:

In Vedantic literature, there is a beautiful analogy. The bowman has already sent an arrow and it has left his hands. He cannot recall it. He is about to shoot another arrow. The bundle of arrows in the quiver on his back is the sanchita; the arrow he has shot is prarabdha; and the arrow which he is about to shoot from his bow is agami. Of these, he has perfect control over the sanchita and the agami, but he must surely work out his prarabdha. The past which has begun to take effect he has to experience.

According to many sages and philosophers, Prarabdha karma end only after we have but experienced their consequences.

1. I have always been skeptical about certain astrological remedies to mitigate bad karma because I thought, how can wearing a ring create the good karma to nullify the bad karma, as opposed to chanting prayers?

Today an astrologer told me not to wear black or dark clothes and to always keep a picture of my sister with me. Are these considered as good karma?

2. If Prarabdha cannot be resolved what are the atrological remedies for?

I have another doubt about karma which I will ask after these questions are resolved.

Thank you,

IDF

Hi

Spiritual Intelligence would be required to have the knowledge of such a KARMA.. In today's technology a TV can identify when a REMOTE signal is clicked and what it is and from which remote it came through... But to understand who made that remote and how it works in compatible with the the TV is something impossible to the TV to understand..

Similarly, the GOD has created a Remote for us which could be used but tougher to understand without the knowledge of Spiritual Awareness..

All the remedies and Prayers give us the boost/confidence to fight with the current situation ( which will not change as per our will ). Since everyone has a different attitude we see same things in different ways, for Example

1. Some one with Rahu in certain house would only believe when he can see it happen

2. Some people having mercury in certain house would like to generate an idea from a small incident

Different Views for a same event...RELATIVISTIC MECHANICS as explained by EINSTEIN

Thanks

Guest guest

Hi

Spiritual Intelligence would be required to have the knowledge of such a KARMA..

Hi, I think the answer to my questions might be found in some of the jyotish scripture and I will be grateful if someone can come up with some references.

All the remedies and Prayers give us the boost/confidence to fight with the current situation ( which will not change as per our will ).

So do you mean to say that astrology cannot help us change our karma?

IDF

Guest guest

Hi

If you can give me an example i will be very pleased to know such an effect

Thanks

Then what is the use of astrology? I am confused.

Hello

ASTROLOGY is tool to guide the Human and give him the strength to fight the BAD and utilize the best time in his chart...

Medicines cannot avoid accidents but they can surly heal the result of accidents and that is the reason why we have FIRST AID BOXES...

When the Birth Chart remains same for ever what ever you do how can you change your DESTINY

It seems a bit controversial but we should do our KARMA and be free from what we are bound to get as a result...

CAN ASTROLOGY CHANGE A BAD PLACED SATURN in a NATIVES life and give him the GLORY ? ... But remedy and prayers can give him confidence to fight.

Thanks

Guest guest

Hello

ASTROLOGY is tool to guide the Human and give him the strength to fight the BAD and utilize the best time in his chart...

Medicines cannot avoid accidents but they can surly heal the result of accidents and that is the reason why we have FIRST AID BOXES...

When the Birth Chart remains same for ever what ever you do how can you change your DESTINY

It seems a bit controversial but we should do our KARMA and be free from what we are bound to get as a result...

CAN ASTROLOGY CHANGE A BAD PLACED SATURN in a NATIVES life and give him the GLORY ? ... But remedy and prayers can give him confidence to fight.

Thanks

So astrology only gives us the volition to fight, but does not solve the problem? You mention the example of medicines as healers. But you also say that this healing for karma cannot take place with astrology?

Thanks.

When I say Accident will happen it means that you cannot avoid the accident but by doing prayers after the accident surely you will heal your wounds easily.

TIME and GOD are most important part of this unsolved mystery of KARMA...

Even if you try from today onwards you cannot get a name and fame like EINSTEIN did in his life time..This clearly means that if we have decided DESTINY and we should make the travel smoother by doing our Karma without looking for the fruits.

The day you are born consider that as a Starting Point and the last day of your life is the another point..If a Straight Line is drawn then it is consider to be the smallest distance between those points and hence we say that in Astrology a person traveling through this path will have GOOD placement of PLANETS...But if you draw any other curve line then surely it would take more time to reach that DESTINY hence making your life a bit more struggle...

Thus try to have GOOD feelings for everyone and keep doing your work

( I still believe that TV should not think that he can decide what channel should be broadcast because it is not in the hand of the Television to do it...but the result of different channels being broadcast cannot come into action without a TV)_

Thanks

Guest guest

In the reference to the Wikipedia article I found this link from a book about dridh/adridh karma but it is still not clear how this relates to Prarabdha karma.

The book is called

Light on Life

By Hart De Fouw, Robert Svoboda.

Excerpt: (as I'm not allowed to post links)

Jyothish assumes that the human condition always arises from a dynamic interaction between fate and free will. Fate is fundamentally an expression of the Sanchita and Prarabdha Karmas, and free will the result of Kriyamana and Agama Karmas. Agama and Kriyamana Karmas eternally evolve into Sanchita and Prarabdha Karmas with the passage of time, the axle that turns the great wheel of karma. What was done by free will today acts as the cause of what is experienced as fate tomorrow. Though no one is ruled by fate alone, it may seem so until true free will emerges. Only when free will emerges can the quantity and quality of effort invested in modifying a situation equal or exceed the quantity or quality of effort that created the situation; only then can transformation, as opposed to simple change in life, be achieved. In other words, transformation can occur only when the Agama and Kriyamana Karmas neutralize the Sanchita and its currently manifesting Prarabdha Karmas. The quantity and quality of effort required to alter previous karmas depends on the intensity of the Prarabdha Karma.

The three degrees of karmic intensity which may apply to one, many, or all areas of a person's life are:

1. Dridha (fixed) Karma

2. Dridha-Adridha (fixed/non-fixed) Karma

3. Adridha (non-fixed) Karma

Dridha Karma

Dridha Karmas give fixed results because they are so difficult to change that they are practically non-changeable. These karmas, pleasurable or painful, are destined to be experienced because of the intensity of their causes. Most people have noticed that from time to time an experience simply 'happens', despite all efforts to avoid its occurrence. If, for example, a pregnant woman who has enjoyed perfect health before and during her pregnancy and who has had the best of medical care delivers a child with a congenital deformity, a jyotishi might well find that she was experiencing Dridha Prarabdha Karma concerning children, and that her child was experiencing Dridha Prarabdha Karma concerning its body. Remember that this kind of karma may be pleasurable as well as painfu; as we all know, those who seem the least deserving are often those who get ahead in life.

Dridha Karmas apear in a horoscope where confluence exists. Confluence occurs wherever many astrological factors converge in their indications. The greater the number of indications for good OR for bad in a particular area of a horoscope, the more obvious its results will become. Only when several indications in the horoscope of a pregnant woman concurrently suggest deformity to her child may be conclude that she possesses Dridha Prarabdha Karma concerning children. Although confluence is a particularly important interpretive principle, Jyotish's traditional texts mention it almost in passing, for they rely on the teacher's expert commentary to transmit this notion to the student.

Dridha-Adridha Karma

Dridha-Adridha Karmas occur wherever some (but not most) horoscopic factors relating to a particular area converge in their indications. These karmas, good OR bad, can be changed through the concentrated application of creative will, though considerable effort is required. They give fized or non-fized resultsaccording to the quantum of effort employed. If the congenital deformity in the child mentioned above is corrected or substantially alleviated through surgery, prolonged diet, intensive exercise, or some other corrective, then its Prarabdha Karma was of the Dridha-Adridha variety. If your father leaves you his hard-earned money at the end of his life, and you determinedly squander it, it would also be an example of Dridha-Adridha Karma being changed by assiduous application of free will.

Adridha Karma

Adridha Karmas are said to give non-fixed results because they are easily altered. Wherever no confluence exists in a horoscope, Adridha Karmas are present. This state is akin to having a clean slate on which you may write what you please. When a child of normal physique exercises and her body reponds with increased strength so that the gain is directly proportionate to the effort made, and no unforeseen hindrances or other unanticipated variances occur, it is a case of Adridha Prarabdha Karma in the area of her physique.

I'm still not sure how all this Dridha-Adridha relates to Prarabdha and Jyotish. Can someone please help me?

Thanks,

IDF

I have always been skeptical about certain astrological remedies to mitigate bad karma because I thought, how can wearing a ring create the good karma to nullify the bad karma, as opposed to chanting prayers?

Good question, a question that has been on everybody's mind be it an astrologer or a scientist for many many centuries. My answer is (my personal opinion, not to be confused with any other theory anywhere) doing pooja and chanting mantras are also karma. They are good karmas. You can never wipe out the past 100%, but you can always forget it if you want to. Only wearing a ring can not nullify bad karma it has to be followed by good karmas by the person.

2. If Prarabdha cannot be resolved what are the atrological remedies for?

Astrology is a guiding light it is upto you where you want to go. Astrology is a journey not a destination.

Astrologers fooling people with a variety of wearable stuff ie rings and other things are not noble souls and basically commercial creatures. They are profit mongers. Never trust them. Praying to God at the top of a mountain or at the bottom of the ocean has the same efffect, He is omni-present, omni-potent. You can call him anywhere any time for any thing. He does not treat you prayers as junk mails. Astrology makes you mentally strong, prepared in advance like a weather forecast. If rain is imminent then please keep an umbrella with you.

There are students in India who study like hell, do not watch TV, do not play and do not pray that hard, but succeed and make it to the IITs, these are karma creatures, interested only in karma and nothin else. A complete focus on anything almost guarantees success. If you pray only you will not learn how to swim, if you keep yourself in water for a week, month and then a day will come when you can't drown even if you wish.

Astrology is based on karma, a brave man never worries about destiny. In fact as someone great has pointed out in the past- Destiny is a pessimist's estimate of a work's success.

Success is not the beginning failure is not the end. God bless and thank you,

Ravi