IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
apollymi

A few questions

Rate this topic

Once again, very informative! Thanks again Mike. :D There is a Gaudiya temple(the Hare Krsna one) here in Chicago, but still, that's too far of a drive for me to go to. Such a shame, because I would love to partake in the kirtans. It just seems too difficult for me to have any sort of religious life anymore due to school(and on top of that, I have to share a dorm with other people, so no privacy) and having to work. I just feel too entrapped in materialism right now. At this point, home worship is the best way to go. Which reminds me, I have no clue what to include with a shrine. I'd like to get a murti of Sri Krsna, but I suppose that's not necessary? I guess a picture will do, because that's the only image I have.

I would not advise getting a murti (a 3D representation of Lord Krishna or any of the Gods). If you have a 3D murti you have to be very strict, perform the rituals right and not miss any prayers or pujas. Pictures are definitely the way to go.

A shrine can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. Start with a picture of Sri Sri Radha Krishna. Put it on a table, cabinet or shelf that you are going to use as your altar. Here in Malaysia, custom-built altars are available.......for a handsome sum of money, though. Include a picture of Lord Ganesha - Hindus pray to Him first to remove all obstacles in our lives.

Next you should get an oil lamp. The proper Hindu ones look like this:

LzpQc19Z-zglYXuJsdylTw?feat=directlink

If you can't find one like that, then don't despair. Buy a new drinking glass (don't use it for drinking) made of glass. Fill the glass half way up with water and fill the rest up with oil. Take some metal wires and twist them aroumd until there is just a small hole in the middle. Bend the two ends over so it can sit on top of the glass. Then put a wick there (you can make them from cotton wool if you can't buy the proper ones).

Now is prasadam found in all Hindu denominations? I would think so, just because it seems to be a general food offering given to said deity. Too bad, I don't know how to cook lol.

Yes, it generally is. However, outside of ISKCON, prasadam is generally only one or two specific food items specially for praying. South Indian temples may give you pongalsoru, sweet boiled rice. ISKCON devotees are supposed to offer everythig they eat to Lord Krishna. They are only supposed to eat Krishna prasadam, cooked by Krishna devotees for the express purpose of offering it to the Lord, rather than eating it themselves.

Clarification on a couple of points made already.

I would not advise getting a murti (a 3D representation of Lord Krishna or any of the Gods). If you have a 3D murti you have to be very strict, perform the rituals right and not miss any prayers or pujas. Pictures are definitely the way to go.

This is not true in Bhakthi Yoga which is the main principle of Vaishnavism. Bhakthi Marga is the only path suited for the present time. You do the Puja to the best of your abilities. What is important is the intent. Devotion or Bhakthi is more important than rituals.

A friend of mine has a beautiful image of Krishna at home. She does Puja every day. But then her work takes her out of station often. So she keeps some dry fruits near the Murti and tells Krishna to take that everyday till she returns.

This may not be according to laid down rules. And some one might say she is crazy. Then all Bhakthas are crazy. All of us who post in this forum would be considered crazy by other people. Many of my friends/relatives who are bound with the material world think I am crazy to be posting in such forums.

We should become crazy. GOD crazy.

Yes, it generally is. However, outside of ISKCON, prasadam is generally only one or two specific food items specially for praying. ISKCON devotees are supposed to offer everythig they eat to Lord Krishna.

Hinduism in general expects that all food is first offered to GOD and then only eaten. In the house of a traditional Brahmin, no food is taken till it is offered to GOD. Again the head of the family is not supposed to eat till the food is first taken by a Guest. Athidhi.

Offering of food in temples is an age old Hindu practice. It is called Bhog. The temples in Himachal Pradesh offer free food to all the pilgrims. All the south Indian temples offer free and sumptuous food to all pilgrims. The Bengal temples have Bhog. Some of the temples have started charging a nominal amount to restrict the crowd.

Clarification on a couple of points made already.

This is not true in Bhakthi Yoga which is the main principle of Vaishnavism. Bhakthi Marga is the only path suited for the present time. You do the Puja to the best of your abilities. What is important is the intent. Devotion or Bhakthi is more important than rituals.

This is what my mother-in-law told me - that you don't have statues in the house. She said that you have to be very devout and never miss a prayer to have statues. Her in-laws have a statue of Lord Krishna on their altar, but it is a painted one and not one that abhisheka is performed to and dressed.

Hinduism in general expects that all food is first offered to GOD and then only eaten. In the house of a traditional Brahmin, no food is taken till it is offered to GOD. Again the head of the family is not supposed to eat till the food is first taken by a Guest. Athidhi.

While that may be true, I've never seen any Hindus do that. I know that the ISKCON devotees who run the local Gita classes offer the food, but it is offered before the class starts and we never get to see it.

Kali, according to non-ISKCON Hindu rules, can any vegetarian food be offered or are onions, garlic, mushrooms etc still forbidden? And what is the procedure for offering the food to Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva, Lord Murugan, Goddess Amman etc?

Offering of food in temples is an age old Hindu practice. It is called Bhog. The temples in Himachal Pradesh offer free food to all the pilgrims. All the south Indian temples offer free and sumptuous food to all pilgrims. The Bengal temples have Bhog. Some of the temples have started charging a nominal amount to restrict the crowd.

I've only ever seen non-Gaudiya temples give out food on special festive occaisions. Yes, it may be done in India, but I've never seen it done on a weekly or daily basis here in Malaysia except by the ISKCON (and I presume) Gaudiya Math temples.

As far as the comparing Vishnu and Krishna goes (your 2nd question) They are identical in terms of tattva (knowledge) but somewhat different from the point of view of rasa (spiritual emotions or moods). Vishnu is perceived and worshiped with owe and reverence, whereas Krishna is perceived as dear most friend, son, beloved, etc. depending on once particular inherent relationship with Him. From philosophical point of view (tattva) They are the same thing - the Supreme Godhead, or the highest aspect of the Absolute Truth, etc.

YES I AGREE BUT THEN AGAIN .THIS MAKES HINDUISM POLYTHEEISM[MORE THAN ONE GOD].

YOU CANNOT HAVE TWO DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES OF GODHEAD.

NOW YOU CAN THEN SAY THAT DURGA IS ALSO GOD BECAUSE SHE IS THE HALF PART OF SHIVA.CAN YOU?

No.This is not pantheistic.

Sri Krsna is the centre of all adoration,even in Vaikuntha.

In the capacity of the Supreme Majestic Person,He rules Vaikuntha and

by His part,Lord Mahavisnu,He is known as the Purusha of the Purusha sukta of the vedas.

In the capacity of Sadashiva,He pleases Himself by devotion,whether it is serving Ramacandra or Himself.

As Ramacandra,Who is none other that He Himself,He projects divine leelas that do not explore the conjugal rasas.

As svayam Bhagavan Sri Krsna,He maintains all these forms simultaneously.

It is your ignorance that you consider Sadashiva as a seperate personality than Sri Krsna.He is Visnu tattva.

It is your ignorance that entertains thoughts that sadashiva is Independent and Another Godhead.

The actor is one.However he dons many appearances to act in different capacities.He remains the same original actor however.

There is one difference.Sri Krsna can maintain Infinite forms,Names,Abodes and Qualities at the same time.

"Ananta nama rupaya."

"Satangyana anantam Brahm."

A shrine can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. Start with a picture of Sri Sri Radha Krishna. Put it on a table, cabinet or shelf that you are going to use as your altar. Here in Malaysia, custom-built altars are available.......for a handsome sum of money, though. Include a picture of Lord Ganesha - Hindus pray to Him first to remove all obstacles in our lives.

If you can't find one like that, then don't despair. Buy a new drinking glass (don't use it for drinking) made of glass. Fill the glass half way up with water and fill the rest up with oil. Take some metal wires and twist them aroumd until there is just a small hole in the middle. Bend the two ends over so it can sit on top of the glass. Then put a wick there (you can make them from cotton wool if you can't buy the proper ones).

I actually have a Ganesha murti, but only accidentally. I bought it a few years ago at some "exotic crafts" store. Can I use the statue instead of a picture? I'll admit, I am very low on money and can't really afford expensive altar things, though I would love to. I'm hoping to set up an altar this weekend since it's my last week of school.

Don't a lot of Hindu altars/shrines offer incense? I have tons and tons of incense cones(regular incense is way too strong for me) that I need to get rid of, if you know what I mean. :D The problem is, I have 2 Doves that live in my room with me, as well as a hamster. Due to this, incense is a no-no. What can I include with my altar that will give off fresh scent that is not dangerous to animals? I was thinking fresh flowers or something like scent pouches.

I actually have a Ganesha murti, but only accidentally. I bought it a few years ago at some "exotic crafts" store. Can I use the statue instead of a picture? I'll admit, I am very low on money and can't really afford expensive altar things, though I would love to. I'm hoping to set up an altar this weekend since it's my last week of school.

Don't a lot of Hindu altars/shrines offer incense? I have tons and tons of incense cones(regular incense is way too strong for me) that I need to get rid of, if you know what I mean. :D The problem is, I have 2 Doves that live in my room with me, as well as a hamster. Due to this, incense is a no-no. What can I include with my altar that will give off fresh scent that is not dangerous to animals? I was thinking fresh flowers or something like scent pouches.

As Mike explained and as per my knowledge, a 3D Murthi should be prayed with daily rituals. You should offer Naivedyam every day atleast either with a combination of cow Milk & sugar in a small silver bowl or new steel bowl or sweet payasam. Deepa Araadhana ( New cotton wick lit with cow ghee or with oil atleast) should be given. Cleaned flowers and cleaned fruits are also can be offered. Incence stick at least smokeless should be burnt. It is a symbolic offering that you are burning your ego or desires to a final form that cannot be reversed. Initial prayer should always be performed on Ganesh followed by other gods. Gods are to be prayed by offerring turmeric powder and Kumkum ( Yellow and Red colored powders, prepared from fresh crop - Available in Srilankan stores) and Akshantalu ( prepared with rice and turmeric powder) with three fingers (other than index and middle fingers). Harathi (with Camphor) can be given at the end. You should put bindi on your forehead before praying and sprinkle akshintalu on head after prayer.

Forget to mention, you should take bath (preferable headbath) before prayer and wear fresh colths while praying.

Though worship demands your time and effort, you will be blessed with desirable will power to sail through your life hurdles. Don't look for any return or warranty but pray with selfishness. God bless you.

PS: The prayer procedure I provided above is a typical South Indian style. There can be different versions changed over time.

While that may be true, I've never seen any Hindus do that. I know that the ISKCON devotees who run the local Gita classes offer the food, but it is offered before the class starts and we never get to see it.

Kali, according to non-ISKCON Hindu rules, can any vegetarian food be offered or are onions, garlic, mushrooms etc still forbidden? And what is the procedure for offering the food to Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva, Lord Murugan, Goddess Amman etc?

There are not many Hindus who are going strictly by the norms in India now. You will never find them outside India. I remember that when we used to visit my Grandfather in the village, one of our duties every day was to search for a guest to be fed. Strict rules regarding their selection also. Then the crow had to be fed.

It is almost impossible to follow these norms today. But there are a very few Brahmin villages where they still follow these norms. To visit these villages is like going back in time.

According to non-ISKCON Hindu rules, any food Vegetarian/non-Vegetarian can be offered. Even Liquor can be offered. Nothing is forbidden. Sectarian/Caste rules prohibit certain foods. The regional preferences also play a role.

It depends entirely on your belief. I can quote scriptures which prohibit certain kinds of food and also quote other scriptures which do not have any such prohibition.

But the essence of offering food to GOD is that you offer the best.

If a child offers Ice Cream to Lord Shiva or Lord Krishna, I would say it is perfectly O.K. The child loves Ice cream and offers its favorite food to GOD.

The procedure for offering food does not change. The same procedure holds good for all the Gods/Goddesses.