IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
apollymi

A few questions

Rate this topic

Hello all. I'm relatively new to Hinduism(last 6 months maybe) and I follow the Vaisnava sect(not sure if I would consider myself Gaudiya, but I prefer Sri Krsna over Sri Visnu most definitely). I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I'm not really sure where to ask these questions. Rather than post them in separate threads, I just decided to condense them into one single one. :)

I guess these questions relate to Gaudiya Vaisnavism rather than just general Vaisnavism.

1. What is the role of the Devas(demigods) if they are not to be worshipped? From others, I hear, in this case, they are on par with the angels in Christianity: they are semi-divine(not sure if that's the right word) beings but they are not to be worshipped?

2. Despite the fact that if Krsna is the supreme godhead, is Visnu+Krsna one-in-the-same? Or is Krsna different from Visnu? Or is Visnu different than Krsna?

3. What is the best way to study the Bhagavad Gita? I'll admit I have read the Bhagavad Gita, but some of the stuff just doesn't click(meaning I can't remember anything I read). I also have a journal and was wondering what kinds of things I would put in this "Vaisnava" journal...thoughts, meditations, important verses?

Sorry if these are odd questions. I ask that those reply try to give me answers that I can understand(if you give Sanskrit terms for example, tell me what they mean, because I have little knowledge of any Sanskrit) and not just some giant wall of text(in which case, I won't read it :rolleyes: ).

Thats not real Hinduism,pure Hindu should always respect all braches of Hinduism/Sampradaya.Don't commit a sin by listening or accepting this foolish Demi God theory which may drag you toward commiting a huge sin in the end.All Vaishnavas must worship God Shiva and all Shivites must worship God Vishnu,there is no second thought involved here.all the best to you.

but I prefer Sri Krsna over Sri Visnu most definitely++++What is the role of the Devas(demigods)

Thats not real Hinduism,pure Hindu should always respect all braches of Hinduism/Sampradaya.Don't commit a sin by listening or accepting this foolish Demi God theory which may drag you toward commiting a huge sin in the end.All Vaishnavas must worship God Shiva and all Shivites must worship God Vishnu,there is no second thought involved here.all the best to you.

But you didn't really answer my questions. :confused: I think you're confusing me with ISKCON(?). I don't belong to ISKCON and I don't follow most of their beliefs, although I guess it has come to the fact that Gaudiya=ISKCON now. I never said that I respected OR disrespected any of the Devas; it just so happens I have chosen to only honor Sri Krsna.

Dear Apollymi,

1. What is the role of the Devas(demigods) if they are not to be worshipped? From others, I hear, in this case, they are on par with the angels in Christianity: they are semi-divine(not sure if that's the right word) beings but they are not to be worshipped?

This will vary according to which denominations or philosophical schools you ask. Gaudiya Vaishnavas believe that Krishna alone is the Supreme Lord, and that the devas ("demigods" is an incorrect term) are His servants, like ministers under the Prime Minister. I'm not sure about other Vaishnava schools, but I think that Madhva's folowers would have the same teachings (Chaitanya was initiated into the Madhva sampradaya, after all). I'm not sure about Ramanuja, Vallabha or Nimbarka's schools.

Other Hindu schools (Saivism and Saktam for example) teach that the devas are just different forms of the Supreme Lord, like facets of a diamond. I think that Saiva Siddhanta is somewhere between the two (they refer to Lord Ganesha and Lord Murugan as mahadevas who seem to be separate beings distinct from Lord Shiva.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to worship the devas or not to worship anyone except Krishna/Shiva etc. Hinduism has no god who proclaims "thou shalt have no other gods before me". Lord Krishna states in the Gita: "Whatever form any devotee with faith wishes to worship, I make that faith of his steady. Endowed with that faith, he engages in the worship of that form, and from it he obtains his desires, which are actually being ordained by Me" (Bhagavad-Gita 7:21-22)

2. Despite the fact that if Krsna is the supreme godhead, is Visnu+Krsna one-in-the-same? Or is Krsna different from Visnu? Or is Visnu different than Krsna?

This will depend which school of Vaishnavism you follow. Gaudiya Vaishnavism (Chaitanya sampradaya) regards Krishna as the source of all the avatars and expansions (including Vishnu). This view is shared by the Vallabha and Nimbarka sampradayas. According to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, the eighth incarnation of the Lord is Balarama. The Ramanuja and Madhva sampradayas regard Lord Vishnu as the Supreme, and they regard Lord Krishna as the eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.

3. What is the best way to study the Bhagavad Gita? I'll admit I have read the Bhagavad Gita, but some of the stuff just doesn't click(meaning I can't remember anything I read). I also have a journal and was wondering what kinds of things I would put in this "Vaisnava" journal...thoughts, meditations, important verses?

You need to get a decent English translation. Prabhupada's translation (Bhagavad-Gita As It Is) is ok, but he puts the Gaudiya interpretation on it and condemns Advaita-vedanta in his purports (commentary). A good one to get is Paramahamsa Yogananda's translation, which is in two volumes. I've only read a small part of it, but it seems to be good. You can get an online version here at http://www.gita-society.com/ I use Swami Chidbhavananda's translation, but I'm not sure if it's available where you live (I bought it from a Hindu bookstore).

If the commentary seems to be distracting, try reading just the verses first. When you have read the entire Gita, go back and read the commentary.

I have no idea what to put in a Vaishnava journal, but I would just write down any thoughts or musings that you might have. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

Anyway, I hope my answers can help you. If you want some links to check out, try these:

www.krishna.com - good site with information about the Gaudiya Sampradaya

www.veda.krishna.com - a Gaudiya Vaishnava encyclopedia

www.vedabase.net - Srila Prabhupada's books online

www.himalayanacademy.com - a site with lots of information on Hinduism (Saivite)

You can also find a lot of links to Hindu material here.

Hinduism is founded on the Vedas. The Vedas are Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda and Atharva Veda. None of the other scriptures are considered Vedas.

The Vedas consist of prayers addressed to different Gods/Goddesses. In these prayers the God/Goddess to whom the prayer is addressed is considered the supreme God. Thus we have prayers to Indra, Varuna and other Vedic Gods/Goddesses.

Max Muller called this Henotheism. When we address a prayer to Ganesha, he is the supreme God. When we address Vishnu he is GOD. The same case with Shiva, Devi and others.

This is the fundamental Vedic Hinduism or Sanatana Dharma.

Sectarian worship was a much later development.

Hinduism is founded on the Vedas. The Vedas are Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, Sama Veda and Atharva Veda. None of the other scriptures are considered Vedas.

The Vedas consist of prayers addressed to different Gods/Goddesses. In these prayers the God/Goddess to whom the prayer is addressed is considered the supreme God. Thus we have prayers to Indra, Varuna and other Vedic Gods/Goddesses.

Max Muller called this Henotheism. When we address a prayer to Ganesha, he is the supreme God. When we address Vishnu he is GOD. The same case with Shiva, Devi and others.

This is the fundamental Vedic Hinduism or Sanatana Dharma.

Sectarian worship was a much later development

like youve got a siddhi living in a cave to know exactly what happened or what didint happen millions of years ago.

havent you heard of ishta deva.

I know Sanskrit and have studied the Vedas. I recite the Vedas with the proper intonation and have undergone proper initiation and training for that. Again I have an academic degree in Hindu history.

Ishta Devata is a concept which was developed at a much later period. I can post the books on the religious history of India for reference.

I know Sanskrit and have studied the Vedas. I recite the Vedas with the proper intonation and have undergone proper initiation and training for that. Again I have an academic degree in Hindu history.

Ishta Devata is a concept which was developed at a much later period. I can post the books on the religious history of India for reference.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

i apologise was just joking

but possibly how can you know about what happend millions of years ago.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

We do not know. But what we have is the oral tradition of the Vedas. What is in the Vedas. Then we have the translations. The prayers do not need any interpretations.

The Vedic people were very simple people who were at home with nature.

Historians and archeologists do not accept the millions of years theory.

Please see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedas

I am a Kali_Upasaka and a Hindu. That is all I am now.

And have an internet conection in a cave.or wait do you use wii fi.you bengalis shore have a good sense of humour.

This will vary according to which denominations or philosophical schools you ask. Gaudiya Vaishnavas believe that Krishna alone is the Supreme Lord, and that the devas ("demigods" is an incorrect term) are His servants, like ministers under the Prime Minister. I'm not sure about other Vaishnava schools, but I think that Madhva's folowers would have the same teachings (Chaitanya was initiated into the Madhva sampradaya, after all). I'm not sure about Ramanuja, Vallabha or Nimbarka's schools.

Other Hindu schools (Saivism and Saktam for example) teach that the devas are just different forms of the Supreme Lord, like facets of a diamond. I think that Saiva Siddhanta is somewhere between the two (they refer to Lord Ganesha and Lord Murugan as mahadevas who seem to be separate beings distinct from Lord Shiva.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you not to worship the devas or not to worship anyone except Krishna/Shiva etc. Hinduism has no god who proclaims "thou shalt have no other gods before me". Lord Krishna states in the Gita: "Whatever form any devotee with faith wishes to worship, I make that faith of his steady. Endowed with that faith, he engages in the worship of that form, and from it he obtains his desires, which are actually being ordained by Me" (Bhagavad-Gita 7:21-22)

Thank you MikeMalaysia. Your post was by far the best. I figured "demigods" was not a correct term that was something that might have been invented by Srila Prabhupada when translating "Devas" to English.

This will depend which school of Vaishnavism you follow. Gaudiya Vaishnavism (Chaitanya sampradaya) regards Krishna as the source of all the avatars and expansions (including Vishnu). This view is shared by the Vallabha and Nimbarka sampradayas. According to Gaudiya Vaishnavism, the eighth incarnation of the Lord is Balarama. The Ramanuja and Madhva sampradayas regard Lord Vishnu as the Supreme, and they regard Lord Krishna as the eighth incarnation of Lord Vishnu.

Informative indeed. Thanks. :)

You need to get a decent English translation. Prabhupada's translation (Bhagavad-Gita As It Is) is ok, but he puts the Gaudiya interpretation on it and condemns Advaita-vedanta in his purports (commentary). A good one to get is Paramahamsa Yogananda's translation, which is in two volumes. I've only read a small part of it, but it seems to be good. I use Swami Chidbhavananda's translation, but I'm not sure if it's available where you live (I bought it from a Hindu bookstore).

If the commentary seems to be distracting, try reading just the verses first. When you have read the entire Gita, go back and read the commentary.

I have no idea what to put in a Vaishnava journal, but I would just write down any thoughts or musings that you might have. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

I have several Gita translations, including three from Prabhupada's. His actual translation itself might be fine, but his purports are too confusing to read and understand. I have Juan Mascaro's(spelling) translation which is easy to follow, but it's just too similar to the christian bible in KJV terms. I have a few others as well which are in poetic Victorian English(or Shakespearan English), also too confusing to read. :crazy: I recently recieved the free silverback edition of Prasad's Bhagavad Gita(gita4free) and it seems simplified enough to read.

Thank you for the links as well. I am definitely familiar with those. Have a nice a day. Also Kali, thank you for your answers as well. :)

Hi, apollymi. Welcome!

Try this translation of the Gita http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/ebooks-a-magazines-mainmenu-63/doc_download/32-srimad-bhagavad-gita.html

As far as the comparing Vishnu and Krishna goes (your 2nd question) They are identical in terms of tattva (knowledge) but somewhat different from the point of view of rasa (spiritual emotions or moods). Vishnu is perceived and worshiped with owe and reverence, whereas Krishna is perceived as dear most friend, son, beloved, etc. depending on once particular inherent relationship with Him.

From philosophical point of view (tattva) They are the same thing - the Supreme Godhead, or the highest aspect of the Absolute Truth, etc.

Hi, apollymi. Welcome!

As far as the comparing Vishnu and Krishna goes (your 2nd question) They are identical in terms of tattva (knowledge) but somewhat different from the point of view of rasa (spiritual emotions or moods). Vishnu is perceived and worshiped with owe and reverence, whereas Krishna is perceived as dear most friend, son, beloved, etc. depending on once particular inherent relationship with Him.

From philosophical point of view (tattva) They are the same thing - the Supreme Godhead, or the highest aspect of the Absolute Truth, etc.

Thanks for your reply. I figured they were the "same" in some way, but in end, different personalities perhaps. :P

I have another question, perhaps you can help answer this one as well? I have never been to a Hindu temple. There are very few around where I live, but there is one about a 45 minutes drive away from me. I am not Indian by birth(think typical American...combinations of European, Asian, and Native American), so how would I be perceived in these temples? I think I would feel odd and out-of-place, like I don't belong there. I figured I will be worshipping at home for a very long time.

1) The devas also have the six diseases,Kama,lobha,etc. Even Indra,the king of heaven is JEALOUS.yes.

So these demigods should not be worshipped.

Why ?

There is a simple answer.

He is raso vai saha.Means He is Bliss.If a demigod himself in unsatisfied,how can he fulfiil your search for happines.

Devas are in sattva.

Humans in rajas

and

demons in tamas.

The personalities in these three modes are always unhappy.What happiness willl you get in worshipping them ?

The veda states,Rasa evam labdhva anandi bhavati.

After attaining the Suprme Lord,the living entity achieves happiness/bliss.

so we should worship One who is BEYOND the three modes of material

nature.One who himself is not a beggar.Only a wealthy man can give you

money.A beggar can only take you for a ride.

So whom should we worship ?

Sri Krsna.He is the One Supreme Lord who is described in the vedas as

ANANDA/BLISS Himself.

Devi bhagavatam states,"Sri KRsna is raso vai saha."

So we should worship this rasa who is Sri Krsna.

One question may arise,"Can we worship anyone who is beyond the three

modes of nature ?"

"Yes."

Hari-guru.These two personalities are beyond material nature.You worship

Them,you will attain Them.You will attain Their bliss.

So we should worship these wealthy people.Hari and Guru.

We should kindly reject worshipping the beggars.But showing disrespect is offensive.

Sri Krsna,who is the basis of all forms of Godhead as well as the Nirguna

Brahmn,expands Himself into many forms with corresponding

qualities,associates,names and abodes.He expands Himself into His greatest

devotee,Lord Sadashiva.He expands Himself into a Personality with

Unsurmountable splendor and Opulence,Viz Narayana.

So all there expansions are verily Sri KRsna Himself.He NEVER becomes

Less.In one particular form,He exhibits opulence while in the other ,He

displays pastimes which are enjoyable(rasik).So we should not consider that

Sadashiva is lesser God or Visnu is a Lesser God.

Personality REMAINS THE SAME.They are ALL VISNU TATTVA.

[..]

3. What is the best way to study the Bhagavad Gita? I'll admit I have read the Bhagavad Gita, but some of the stuff just doesn't click(meaning I can't remember anything I read). I also have a journal and was wondering what kinds of things I would put in this "Vaisnava" journal...thoughts, meditations, important verses?[..]

The Bhagavad-gita is a process. Follow each of Lord Krishna's directions and He will guide you through the process.

Eventually you will become less attached to the ramblings of temporary material life, and more focused on God and the eternal life.

Armed with detachment and yoga, stand and fight, O Mighty-armed Arjuna

I have another question, perhaps you can help answer this one as well? I have never been to a Hindu temple. There are very few around where I live, but there is one about a 45 minutes drive away from me. I am not Indian by birth(think typical American...combinations of European, Asian, and Native American), so how would I be perceived in these temples? I think I would feel odd and out-of-place, like I don't belong there. I figured I will be worshipping at home for a very long time.

Well, let me tell you first, I am not a Hindu by birth either. Perhaps you have figured this out though. However, being a part of Hare Krishna I have been to quite a few Hindu gatherings both in India and in other countries (US, Europe). In short they are nice people, generally very hospitable and friendly. You should feel quite comfortable if you go there... and no, you don't need to know much of their culture and rites. I'd just tell someone that I am new and I could use some help if possible... I am sure they would be happy to help you. Again, they are generally not fanatical. They have seen foreign people taking interest in their religion for ages now (at least since the British colonies). So, if you do something you're not supposed to.. they will just smile and will tell you what you should have done and why, especially if you have introduced yourself briefly and asked for help.

Have a good time, if you decide to go. :)

So we should not consider that

Sadashiva is lesser God or Visnu is a Lesser God.

Personality REMAINS THE SAME.They are ALL VISNU TATTVA.

<!-- / message -->

YES I AGREE BUT THEN AGAIN .THIS MAKES HINDUISM POLYTHEEISM[MORE THAN ONE GOD].

YOU CANNOT HAVE TWO DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES OF GODHEAD.

NOW YOU CAN THEN SAY THAT DURGA IS ALSO GOD BECAUSE SHE IS THE HALF PART OF SHIVA.CAN YOU?

I have another question, perhaps you can help answer this one as well? I have never been to a Hindu temple. There are very few around where I live, but there is one about a 45 minutes drive away from me. I am not Indian by birth(think typical American...combinations of European, Asian, and Native American), so how would I be perceived in these temples? I think I would feel odd and out-of-place, like I don't belong there. I figured I will be worshipping at home for a very long time

Don't be afraid. Just go! Why should it matter how people there might perceive you? You are going there to worship God, so why should it matter how the other people see you?

I've had friendly people approach me in temples before and explain things to me. This was especially helpful as in the temple near where I am staying, the pujaris (priests) don't speak English and other devotees who speak both Tamil and English have translated for me.

This may be a problem with going to a temple - the services may not be in English! I'm certain that the bhajans (hymns) will be in Sanskrit, Hindi, Tamil or another Indian language (the language of the Hindu community who founded the temple). If the temple is a North Indian style temple and has a satsangh (Hindu service with a sermon), then the the sermon may very well be in Hindi or another Indian language. These temples often cater for expatriate Indians and they may be the only place where these people can speak their mother tongue in a community.

If you go to a South Indian temple, the worship will be very individual. The Deities will generally be made of black granite and housed in separate shrines, and the pujaris will go round each shrine performing puja (which involves offering incense, flowers, lamps etc to the Deity). At the end of the session, he will distribute a lamp, and everyone touches the flame to receive the blessings from the gods.

If it is a North Indian temple, the worship may be much more congregational. The Deities will often be made of white marble. Bhajans are generally sung, usually accompanied by a harmonium and possibly tabla drums. These are generally sung in Hindi. The worship will probably consist of an Arati, where the congregation takes turns offering a plate with lamps on it to the Deities, while an Arati bhajan (often Om Jai Jagdish Hare) is sung.

If you go to a Hare Krishna (Gaudiya Vaishnava) temple, it will be closer to a North Indian temple. However, Arati consists of various articles as well as the lamp (incense, cloth, water in a conch, flowers, yak-tail whisk and possibly peacock fan), and it is only offered by pujaris. The main feature of their worship is the chanting of Hare Krishna (often accompanied by devotees leaping in the air and shouting "Haribol!") Hare Krishna temples will always provide prasadam (free vegetarian food which has been offered to the Lord).

Hello all. I'm relatively new to Hinduism(last 6 months maybe) and I follow the Vaisnava sect(not sure if I would consider myself Gaudiya, but I prefer Sri Krsna over Sri Visnu most definitely). I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I'm not really sure where to ask these questions. Rather than post them in separate threads, I just decided to condense them into one single one. :)

I guess these questions relate to Gaudiya Vaisnavism rather than just general Vaisnavism.

Demigod`s are Krsnah admin people. We should pay them respects not worship.

If Shiva is Balarama then Visnu is Krsnah.

You read Bhagavad-gita As It Is as if it was a best seller. You just can`t help telling it to your friends and relatives to buy one.

Sorry if these are odd questions. I ask that those reply try to give me answers that I can understand(if you give Sanskrit terms for example, tell me what they mean, because I have little knowledge of any Sanskrit) and not just some giant wall of text(in which case, I won't read it :rolleyes: )

They are not odd questions to me. They can be answered simply without the merry-go-round answers.:)

Thanks for your reply. I figured they were the "same" in some way, but in end, different personalities perhaps. :P

You visit a Hare Krsnah or Hindu temple on Sundays. You get to feast on prasadam during those days. But don`t forget to make a donation or offer flowers to the Deities.

Don't be afraid. Just go! Why should it matter how people there might perceive you? You are going there to worship God, so why should it matter how the other people see you?

I've had friendly people approach me in temples before and explain things to me. This was especially helpful as in the temple near where I am staying, the pujaris (priests) don't speak English and other devotees who speak both Tamil and English have translated for me.

This may be a problem with going to a temple - the services may not be in English! I'm certain that the bhajans (hymns) will be in Sanskrit, Hindi, Tamil or another Indian language (the language of the Hindu community who founded the temple). If the temple is a North Indian style temple and has a satsangh (Hindu service with a sermon), then the the sermon may very well be in Hindi or another Indian language. These temples often cater for expatriate Indians and they may be the only place where these people can speak their mother tongue in a community.

If you go to a South Indian temple, the worship will be very individual. The Deities will generally be made of black granite and housed in separate shrines, and the pujaris will go round each shrine performing puja (which involves offering incense, flowers, lamps etc to the Deity). At the end of the session, he will distribute a lamp, and everyone touches the flame to receive the blessings from the gods.

If it is a North Indian temple, the worship may be much more congregational. The Deities will often be made of white marble. Bhajans are generally sung, usually accompanied by a harmonium and possibly tabla drums. These are generally sung in Hindi. The worship will probably consist of an Arati, where the congregation takes turns offering a plate with lamps on it to the Deities, while an Arati bhajan (often Om Jai Jagdish Hare) is sung.

If you go to a Hare Krishna (Gaudiya Vaishnava) temple, it will be closer to a North Indian temple. However, Arati consists of various articles as well as the lamp (incense, cloth, water in a conch, flowers, yak-tail whisk and possibly peacock fan), and it is only offered by pujaris. The main feature of their worship is the chanting of Hare Krishna (often accompanied by devotees leaping in the air and shouting "Haribol!") Hare Krishna temples will always provide prasadam (free vegetarian food which has been offered to the Lord).

Once again, very informative! Thanks again Mike. :D There is a Gaudiya temple(the Hare Krsna one) here in Chicago, but still, that's too far of a drive for me to go to. Such a shame, because I would love to partake in the kirtans. It just seems too difficult for me to have any sort of religious life anymore due to school(and on top of that, I have to share a dorm with other people, so no privacy) and having to work. I just feel too entrapped in materialism right now. At this point, home worship is the best way to go. Which reminds me, I have no clue what to include with a shrine. I'd like to get a murti of Sri Krsna, but I suppose that's not necessary? I guess a picture will do, because that's the only image I have.

Now is prasadam found in all Hindu denominations? I would think so, just because it seems to be a general food offering given to said deity. Too bad, I don't know how to cook lol.

Hey, apollymi. You seem to be pretty involved in your studies and stuff. However, just to let you know there is gonna be a very special event in Houston pretty soon: http://www.purebhakti.com/events/upcoming-events-mainmenu-66/1030-hari-katha-festival-houston-23rd-29th-may-2009.html

Didn't want to tempt you unnecessarily, but if by some good fortunate you can come, I am sure that would be a fantastic start for you.