IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
dev singh

ring of ranga

Rate this topic

sita ram ,

i have been doing some reading and have come across a "ring of ranga" i have no idea what this is in english and where i can acutally get one. a friend of mine suggested it to be a ring made of a worn horseshoe. can anyone put some light on this and if it is benificial spiritually to have one ?

Ranganatha

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

<!-- start content -->Ranganātha (Sanskrit : रंगनाथ), also known as Sri Ranganatha, Ranganathar, or Ranga, is a Hindu deity, more well-known in South India. The deity is a resting form of Lord Vishnu, one of the foremost of Hindu Gods. His consort is Goddess Lakshmi, also known as Ranganayaki, Thayar (mother in Tamil). Most of the deities portray a 'smiling' lord in a reclining position over the celestial serpent Adisesha. This is the form in which he is open to listening to all of his devotee's woes, and blesses them. Apart from being worshipped by all Hindus, this form is of particular importance to the Sri Vaishnava community.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP> His name is Sanskrit for "protector of the place of assembly".

One of the most sacred of Ranganatha temples is at Srirangam. Of the 108 Divya Desams (sacred places of worship of Lord Vishnu), Ranganatha or the reclining posture of the God can be found in many temples. They include Thirumayyam, Thirukoshtiyur, Koviladi, Kapisthalam, Thiruneermalai, Tiruvallur and Srivilliputhur.

The five sacred Ranganatha temples on the banks of the Kaveri River are popularly known as Pancharanga Kshetrams. Also Kaveri forms small islands in the following 3 places:

The South Indian name Ranganathan is derived from the name Ranganatha.

sita ram ,

i have been doing some reading and have come across a "ring of ranga" i have no idea what this is in english and where i can acutally get one. a friend of mine suggested it to be a ring made of a worn horseshoe. can anyone put some light on this and if it is benificial spiritually to have one ?

Spirituality is the path that one treads from material to immaterial. If you think that a material can benifit you spiritually, you are wrong or your advisor is wrong. Deal with the immaterial mind which yearns for all materials. That is spirituality. Correct me if i am wrong.