IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
galaxy18

raganuga bhakti

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada said on June 23, 1976, "First of all try to rectify it, and then talk of svarupa (one’s eternal identity) Where is your svarupa? Simply wasting time. A man is diseased, he's thinking, "When I shall be cured I shall eat, go to this hotel, I shall eat like this". First of all cure, and then talk of eating this and that. Svarupa, when you are cured, that is svarupa. So long you are not cured, what is the use of talking svarupa? First business is cure yourself. Anartha-nivrtti, that is anartha-nivrtti. Then svarupa will come".

What does Srila Rupa Goswami say?

In the Nectar of Devotion, Chapter 16, the following statements sound almost like a forecast of the present problem:

"Spontaneous love of Krishna as exhibited by the Vrishnis and the denizens of Vrindavana is eternally existing in them. In the stage of devotional service where regulative principles are followed, there is no necessity of discussing this love, for it must develop of itself at a more advanced stage".

What does Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur say?

“Rasa is not a part of sadhana. Therefore if somebody says: ‘Come, I will teach you rasa’, then it will be his wickedness or foolishness. Rasa is not the subject of knowledge but of taste.

Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur became extremely grave and he answered; "It is not helpful for a conditioned soul to meditate upon the asta kaliya lila (the eight fold daily pastimes) of Sri Sri Radha Krishna because one who is unqualified will commit aparadhas".

The singular emphasis upon raganuga-sadhana, a type of devotional practice reserved for those who have already reached a high level of bhakti, is directly opposed to the instructions given by Srila Prabhupada, who warns that such an emphasis will result in sahajiyaism. Some devotees give extended discourses about the confidential pastimes of Radha Krishna and the gopis. Such talks are given to anyone who may be present, including the newcomers. Did Srila Prabhupada ever dwell on these topics at length or make them the basis of his preaching? Quite the contrary, Prabhupada stressed the fact that Lord Chaitanya Himself would discuss such subjects only behind closed doors and only with one or two of His most advanced followers. Yet nowadays it is not uncommon to hear even newly initiated followers speaking freely on these topics following the wrong example of their superiors.

In my opinion there are two extreme views that can be observed in this regard. First is being sentimental, what Prabhupada has described (above) as dreaming about what I would do if I get cured.. The second extreme view is becoming almost inimical to the very principle of raganuga-bhakti... almost denying the very possibility of anyone among now-living vaisnavas practicing raganuga-sadhana-bhakti, leaving alone anything above that.

Lord Caitanya Himself has defined bhakti as certain practice followed for the purpose and with the goal of achieving bhava-bhakti (CC Mad 22.105). How can I know if I really aspire for something that I go out and publically try to defame on a regular basis?

Those two tendencies are basically sahajiya and mayavada respectively. A true practitioner of bhakti-sadhana must sincerely know that bhava is his personal goal and in the same time he must be knowledgeable in the sastra and thus be able to know exactly about his current position on the path of bhakti, as well as about his particular duties corresponded to that position.

One may ask: 'if devotees prematurely take interest in topics of Krishna and the gopis, what harm will come? Isn’t Krishna-katha pure and purifying?' Srila Prabhupada has answered this doubt. He explains that since the loving affairs between Krishna and the gopis resemble or external appear like material exchanges between boys and girls (even though they are fully pure in truth), one's own lust may actually increase by concentrating on such topics, and thus one's spiritual advancement may be checked.

One may say: "When one is liberated and hears of Lord Krishna's and Shrimati Radha's loving affairs, he is not inclined to have lusty desires. One mundane person once said that when the Vaisnavas chant the name 'Radha, Radha', he simply remembers a barber's wife named Radha. This is a practical example. Unless one is liberated, he should not try to hear about the loving affairs between Sri Sri Radha and Krishna. If one is not liberated and listens to a relation of the rasa dance, he may remember his mundane activities and illicit connections with some woman whose name may also be Radha. In the conditioned stage one should not even try to remember such things. By practicing the regulative principles, one should rise to the platform of spontaneous attraction for Krishna. Then and only then, should one hear about the Radha Krishna Lila? Although these affairs may be very pleasing to both the conditioned and the liberated souls, the conditioned soul should not try to hear them". (Shri Chaitanya-Charitamrita, Madhya 8.255, purport)

In the first place, Srila Prabhupada would not have devotees spend time contemplating such matters as their rasa with Lord Krishna until they were first qualified to do so. 'First deserve, then desire'. Moreover, according to Srila Prabhupada, becoming a preacher of Krishna Consciousness is both the means and the method of becoming a follower of Sri Rupa and Sri Raghunatha. Only by preaching Krishna Consciousness can we enter the mood of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Lord Nityananda Prabhu, and only by Their causeless mercy, given in reciprocation with our service, do our hearts become purified of anarthas, or ‘unwanted contaminations’. This is what we learn from association with Srila Prabhupada. By associating with others, on the other hand, one is let to believe that real spiritual advancement is based not on preaching but rather on the practice of raganuga-sadhana.

One may ask: 'if devotees prematurely take interest in topics of Krishna and the gopis, what harm will come? Isn’t Krishna-katha pure and purifying?' Srila Prabhupada has answered this doubt. He explains that since the loving affairs between Krishna and the gopis resemble or external appear like material exchanges between boys and girls (even though they are fully pure in truth), one's own lust may actually increase by concentrating on such topics, and thus one's spiritual advancement may be checked.

One may say: "When one is liberated and hears of Lord Krishna's and Shrimati Radha's loving affairs, he is not inclined to have lusty desires. One mundane person once said that when the Vaisnavas chant the name 'Radha, Radha', he simply remembers a barber's wife named Radha. This is a practical example. Unless one is liberated, he should not try to hear about the loving affairs between Sri Sri Radha and Krishna. If one is not liberated and listens to a relation of the rasa dance, he may remember his mundane activities and illicit connections with some woman whose name may also be Radha. In the conditioned stage one should not even try to remember such things. By practicing the regulative principles, one should rise to the platform of spontaneous attraction for Krishna. Then and only then, should one hear about the Radha Krishna Lila? Although these affairs may be very pleasing to both the conditioned and the liberated souls, the conditioned soul should not try to hear them". (Shri Chaitanya-Charitamrita, Madhya 8.255, purport)

In the first place, Srila Prabhupada would not have devotees spend time contemplating such matters as their rasa with Lord Krishna until they were first qualified to do so. 'First deserve, then desire'. Moreover, according to Srila Prabhupada, becoming a preacher of Krishna Consciousness is both the means and the method of becoming a follower of Sri Rupa and Sri Raghunatha. Only by preaching Krishna Consciousness can we enter the mood of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Lord Nityananda Prabhu, and only by Their causeless mercy, given in reciprocation with our service, do our hearts become purified of anarthas, or ‘unwanted contaminations’. This is what we learn from association with Srila Prabhupada. By associating with others, on the other hand, one is let to believe that real spiritual advancement is based not on preaching but rather on the practice of raganuga-sadhana.

<!-- / message -->

No.

Thinking about Sri Radha and Sri Krsna can never increase lust,unless and until you have established in your mind that They are Sat.chit.ananda.

Obviously,you should not remember the above said leelas-the loving affairs.

Otherwise,it is Not restricted.

There are Almost nil restrictions in the path of Bhakti.Any of the Names,Leelas,Pastimes can be chanted at any place and time...in rememberance/smarana,there are no restrictions at all,for the goal is attachment of the mind to Sri Radha Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada always says first deserve than desire

When Acariyas explain the anyabhilasita suniyam line - freedom from any desires other than the desire to please Krishna, they say that the desire to progress and utimately achieve perfection in Krishna Consciousness is a good one and should be kept by all means. So, I understand 'to deserve' as 'be one pointed', 'take shelter exclusively in bhakti'. ...Then I can desire, because this will be the only one and it will be very beneficial. :)

I can not take shelter exclusively in bhakti unless I understand what bhakti really is (that bhakti is way better than anything in this world). Otherwise how would I ever want to give up things that I do 'understand' and value even though the do not satisfy me? I can learn what bhakti really is only from someone like Prabhupada, who possesses bhakti, because all acaryias explain that bhakti is not a material thing and can not be understood by material intelligence. So, I really need to take full shelter at the lotus feet of a pure devotee. :)

I'd like to ask a few questions on this if I may.

Why is that the practice of raganuga-sadhana is put as antagonistic to preaching (last sentence)? Why can't we do both? Is it not what all of our acarias have been doing, meaning both preaching and practicing raganuga-sadhana-bhakti or bhava-bhakti?

Could you also explain what it means here "follower of Sri Rupa and Sri Raghunatha"?

I'd also like to know what it means here "mood of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Lord Nityananda Prabhu".

Thank you.

Guest Melvin1

Desire is when you withdraw money from your bank account to buy an engagement ring for your true love. Deserve is when she accepts it. What`s really the motive behind this rite? A child don`t buy an engagement ring for his girlfriend. He buys her an ice cream.

In other words, you don`t discuss raganuga bhakti if you are overwhelmed with sex hormones. If you insist then be a child first. Because the pastimes of Krsnah & Radha are not for adults only.:)

Of hormones & Horns <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Desire is when you withdraw money from your bank account to buy an engagement ring for your true love. Deserve is when she accepts it. What`s really the motive behind this rite? A child don`t buy an engagement ring for his girlfriend. He buys her an ice cream.

In other words, you don`t discuss raganuga bhakti if you are overwhelmed with sex hormones. If you insist then be a child first. Because the pastimes of Krsnah & Radha are not for adults only.:)

<!-- / message -->

nice