IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Anusha

On Ketu-respected Sandu Ji & Others

Rate this topic

Dear Sandhu ji & Others,

I just came across an astro forum where predictions are given with respect to ASPECTS OF KETU also.

I have been of the view,guided by this forum,that only RAHU,head of the serpant has aspect to 5th,7th,9th & 12th from the house of its location whereas KETU as only a body(Dead) has no aspects at all.

Such a conflicting one gives rise to so many doubts in the learners like me and therefore wish Gurujis here throw some light on what is authentically correct.

Regards,

Anusha

Dear Sandhu ji & Others,

I just came across an astro forum where predictions are given with respect to ASPECTS OF KETU also.

I have been of the view,guided by this forum,that only RAHU,head of the serpant has aspect to 5th,7th,9th & 12th from the house of its location whereas KETU as only a body(Dead) has no aspects at all.

Such a conflicting one gives rise to so many doubts in the learners like me and therefore wish Gurujis here throw some light on what is authentically correct.

Regards,

Anusha

Some of the astrologers believe that Rahu &Ketu as Chaya grahas have no aspects at all but from the discussions in this forum I learn that Rahu aspects but not ketu.

In another forum I find Astrologers consider not only the aspect of Rahu but also of Ketu for predictions.

Definitely this confuses not only learners but also seekers of predictions,when predictions differ from such different perceptions.

I wish this is best clarified by any authority on astro.

Regards,

Anusha

Respected Anushaji,

I had also came across both views. I am also a learner so I can not give any certain statement. But after reading many texts I believe that Ketu also have aspects same as Rahu i.e 9 and 5.

I hope able astrologers in this forum will help clear our doubt

Kind regards

Atul

Dear Dr.Atul Ji, Pranams.

Nice to have you with me here.Perhaps many like us are quite confused,when there is no authenticated answer to this.

When I put this question to one of my astro friend,she sent me a copy,attached below, of what she saw elsewhere on Rahu/Ketu.

This looks reasonable but not autheticated

"Rahu & Ketu are the two nodes and understanding them is

too difficult.Their natures are so deceptive that only who

have very good knowledge of their characters can give a clear

view on their effects.

The story of Rahu& Ketu in short goes like this.

Sage Sukracharya(Venus),the Asuraguru,with his knowledge of

"Sanjivani Mantra" could revive all the dead people.With such a

knowledge of their Guru Asuras used to attack Devas and while

Devas were getting killed,the killed asuras would be revived by Sukra.

This deterred the devas and while Indra was losing his kingdom to the

Asuras,he approached Lord Vishnu for his advice,help and protection.

The lord,assuring his protection,advised Devas to churn the ocean

with the help of "Mandara Mountain and Vasuki,the serpent bed

of Lord Vishnu,when the Lord Himself as Kurma(Avatar) would support

the base of the mountain under the ocean.The consumption of the

Amrit thus produced from the churning would make one immortal.

During churning when a pot of the Amrit was obtained,Devas and

Asuras fought for their due share.Sensing the danger of Asuras

consuming the amrit and becoming immortal Vishnu took the form

of Mohini(Avatar) ,an attractive damsel,and enticed the Asuras to

accept her decision on the distribution of Amrit.

Swarbhanu,a cunning assistant of Sukracharya assumed the form

of a deva and mingled freely with real Devas and got a cup of the Amrit

and also cosumed it. Surya noticing the cunning act of Swarbhanu

informed Chandra who in turn brought it to the knowledge of Lord Vishnu

who,angered by this act Swarbhanu severed his head with His Sudarsana

Chakra.Because of the immortality obtained by the consumption of the

Amrit the Head and Body of swarbhanu eventually came to be known as

Rahu & Ketu respectively.

While Rahu longs for the physical body,Ketu(the headless) longs for

the head,where DHI SHAKTI(Supreme Inteligence) is present.

For this reason it is generally believed that the node Rahu attains

EXALTATION in MITUNA(Gemini),the natural 3rd house that rules

the physical desires and the other node Ketu in DHANUR(Sagittarious),

the natural 9th house ruled by Jupiter who is symbolic of DHI SHAKTI

and Moksha.Because of this reason Ketu is also known as Naisarika

Moksha karaka.He hence associated with Lord Ganesa who is also

a Moksha karaka.

It is also believed that while Ketu(the headless) has no aspects of its own,

Rahu(The head) has own 5th,7th,9th &12 aspects "

As per this rahu aspects like Jupiter with one addition "12"

Sandu ji has given a lot on Rahu/Ketu but there was no mention by him on Ketu aspect.

Yes,let us await experts' view.

Regards,

Anusha

Respected Anusha ji,

Since last post I had gone through various texts regarding the aspects of Rahu and Ketu.

Authors of Brihat jatakam, Horasara, Kalyan verma's sarawali had remain silent in this regard and not mentioned any of the aspects of both. In Brihat parashar hora samhita also there is no clear cut aspects mentioned of Rahu and Ketu.

In Astrology of Seers, Author has mentioned aspects of Rahu and Ketu as 9, 5, 7th

I will update you as I get any more information

Kind Regards

Atul

Dear Dr.Atul ji,

Thank you for the trouble you have taken on this issue.I have of late found so many contrdictions among learned ones on these two chaya grahas & hence it is possible to have different predictions,depending their perceptions on aspects/no aspects & I am afraid some may even go wrong ,misguiding the seekers.

Regards,

Anusha

Dear anusha ji,

Here is some information that might help.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Discussions

Topic: Rahu and Ketu's Aspect

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 30.75pt; HEIGHT: 36pt" type="#_x0000_t75" o:button="t" href="http://www.scribd.com/feu_de_joie" alt="Q-tiny"><v:imagedata o:href="http://s.scribd.com/images/q-tiny.gif?1240625583" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\abc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Hi Everyone,

It is nice to see so many expereinced members in the forum.Since there was nothing hot ;-) going on in the forum i thought of starting something.I hope everyone will participate and will share their personal expereince.

I was just wondering that what aspects of rahu and ketu is considered in vedic astrology.There are 2 views which exists for this.

1.According to K.N.Rao ji rahu and ketu cant have an aspect and u have to consider their dispositor to find out about their effect. His one of the favourite example to proove this is Kennedy's death.Which happened in (Exhalted)rahu dasa(as far as i remember).Thus he doesnt agress with aspects of rahu and ketu.

2.Second view is of Sanjay rath ji(though i read this in PVR Narasimha rao ji's book)According to him rahu has 4 aspects 5,7,9 and 12.Though 12th aspect is considered to be very weak.

Now this view is also divided into 2 parts.Some say that ketu have same aspects as rahu i.e.5,7,9,12 BUT some say since ketu was headless thus ketu cant have an aspect.

It will be very ncie to get views of expereince members of this forum.

One more query:- 12th aspect of rahu is counted in direct or retro direction.

Thanking You

Feu

Vivek shetty

Namaskaar Feu ji,

my take on this topic.

I beleive you are referring to Graha dristhi.

Raahu has aspect on the seventh (desire), fifth and ninth (this is hind sight as opposed to foresight) and the 12th in reverse, which is the second sign zodiacally (he can see secret machinations because he himself is a past master in it.

Ketu has no head and hence is sightless and hence has no aspects not even the seventh(he is the moksha kaaraka and to get moksha you have to give up even the desire of moksha) because he has no desires.

this is my understanding of dristhi (graha).

Thank you for bringing this up.

vivek

Dear Dr.Atul ji,

Thank you for the trouble you have taken on this issue.I have of late found so many contrdictions among learned ones on these two chaya grahas & hence it is possible to have different predictions,depending their perceptions on aspects/no aspects & I am afraid some may even go wrong ,misguiding the seekers.

Regards,

Anusha

Rahu and Ketu are the Lunar Nodes in Vedic Astrology.

Rahu and Ketu - (excerpts from "The Ascendant - The 108 Planets of Vedic Astrology")

Rahu and Ketu are the Lunar Nodes in Vedic Astrology. They are Grahas in that they grab and attach us to our karma just like the starry Grahas, yet they do not rule over Rasis like the other starry planets. They are shadows, the eclipse points where the Earth�s orbit around the Sun intersects with the Moon�s orbit around the Earth. Even though they are not physical planets they are perhaps the most influential forces in the chart. It is along the Rahu / Ketu axis that the main forces of karmic desire are seen.

The myth of Rahu and Ketu sheds much light on their function and greater possibility. Shortly after the beginning of time, the Gods and demons were in a terrible war, neither side making any progress. So they decided to join forces and churn the milk ocean to get the pot of amrita (immortal nectar) at the bottom. Once the nectar was extracted then came the job of distributing it. The Gods, not wanting the nectar to fall into the hands of the demons, devised a plan. Lord Vishnu disguised himself as the enchanting and beautiful Mohini to distribute the nectar. The Gods and Demons were seated on two different sides of an aisle as Mohini distributed the nectar to the Gods only. The demons were too enchanted by her beauty to notice she was not giving them the nectar. However one demon, Rahu, noticed what was happening and disguised himself as a God and managed to get a drink of the nectar. As soon as this happened, the Sun and Moon told Lord Vishnu what was happening and Vishnu returned to his form as Vishnu and let fly his sudarshan and chopped Rahu in half, but only after Rahu managed to take a drink of the nectar. Thus he is immortal, but chopped in half. The head is Rahu and the tail is Ketu.

Rahu is a head without a body. Everything he comes into contact with he becomes obsessed with, like a person with a voracious appetite. Rahu represents material desire, but because he is not a physical planet he operates on the subconscious level. He distorts our perceptions and colors the world according to his desires. He tends to obliterate the essence of things, focusing on their material substance. He is our deepest subconscious material desire. Rahu obsesses over the things we need to learn so we can eventually be freed of them. There are certain lessons we can only learn in a physical body, in the physical world. Rahu�s obsessions indicate those things. All human beings are crazy in some way, Rahu shows the area of life where we are unbalanced and obsessed. Rahu keeps us obsessed until we learn detachment from what he is influencing. As such, he represents attachment. Losing our higher Self to the things of this world is the main reason we suffer in life. Rahu�s obsessions bring much suffering as long as we desire experience. Once we desire liberation, Rahu is incredibly spiritual.

Ketu is the other half of the demon, the headless body. Where Rahu obsesses over the things of this world, Ketu seeks to be freed from them. Rahu is material and loses the essence of things in their substance. Ketu perceives the essence of things but is unsatisfied with anything substantive in the world. Whereas Rahu wants to grow and experience new things, Ketu wants to fall back on the familiar and withdraw, creating a fear of stagnation and disgust with the familiar that is often turned inward as self-disgust. Ketu brings doubt and sharp criticism to the areas of life that he sees. Eternally unsatisfied, he only notices what is missing from whatever he is influencing. He presides over the absolute aspect of God. He is strict and exacting and sucks the worldly joy out of all he touches, including the things Rahu is obsessed over through house and sign. It is the push and pull of Rahu�s obsession and Ketu�s doubt that allows the soul to learn the lessons of the Nodal house and sign placement.

Rahu and Ketu in Rashis

The Rashis show the emotional and psychological forces that compel us to act. The Rashi placement of Rahu will show the psychological temperament we are developing in this lifetime. It shows emotional energy that creates stress in our life. The Rashi of Ketu shows the temperament we have recently developed and where we have skill. It shows where we are critical of others and ourselves.

Rahu in Aries / Ketu in Libra - Ketu in Libra shows they have developed a measured and thoughtful approach to decision making, one which carefully considers all consequences and the price to pay. Skill and diplomacy with others is also highly developed. Rahu in Aries shows the native must develop the ability to act on impulse and follow their instincts. This will make them act first and think later as well as be more self interested or self inspired.

Rahu in Taurus / Ketu in Scorpio - Ketu in Scorpio shows a native who has experienced the intense, probing nature of the mind, one which is painfully aware of death / rebirth, life�s ups and downs and endings. They have established a certain amount of Peace with that difficult side of life. Rahu in Taurus shows they are learning to develop more consistent emotional patterns, rather than the emotions being pulled to their most turbulent extreme. These increased stability allows for deeper, more long lasting and valuable emotional connections. Given the turmoil possible with the Nodes, they are exalted when in this placement.

Rahu in Gemini / Ketu in Sagittarius - Ketu in Sagittarius shows a native who has established a hopeful, idealistic and innately spiritual mindset in their recent lives. Faith in God and a higher purpose are areas of life, which they are well acquainted. Rahu in Gemini will bring forth a curious, multifarious approach that compels the native to test their beliefs not just accept them blindly. This placement will make one Spiritual in a cosmic sense, not just religious in an orthodox sense. The Nodes are also very well placed in this position, as Rahu is able to develop through the psychological quality of Gemini.

Rahu in Cancer / Ketu in Capricorn - Ketu in Capricorn will show a native who is skilled in controlling the many external factors in life. Psychological strength was buttressed by a powerful career, bank account, worldly achievement, etc. Rahu in Cancer shows inner emotional strength is being developed in this lifetime. Learning to understand and develop control over our emotional turmoil is the lesson here. This is one the most difficult placements for the Nodes as we feel the need to developed the very area of life where we are the most insecure.

Rahu and Ketu in Bhavas

The Bhava where Rahu and Ketu resides show external areas of life that we are trying to develop or that we have recently developed. Rahu shows the areas of life that we want to experience, want to achieve. It shows our material attachments. Ketu shows where we would like to withdrawal, what we have already experienced and thus tend to neglect and where we will have detachment. Rahu feels

Rahu in the 1st house / Ketu in the 7th house - Ketu in the 7th shows that in recent past lives there was an over reliance on partners and others in general, when defining the sense of Self. This will make for a native who is very critical of partners and partnerships. In this life the Self as and individual is being developed. Thus the native with Rahu in the 1st will see all of life�s situations as opportunities to grow. When un-evolved this will make for high levels of egocentricity, when evolved high levels of Spirituality. These people may have their individuality suppressed early in life in order to find it later.

Rahu in the 2nd Ketu in the 8th house - Ketu in the 8th house shows a native who in recent past lives benefited greatly from

others resources and other people�s money, thus their inherent sense of value came from others. This will make a person who is very reluctant to rely on others to help them. Rahu in the 2nd house makes for a person who will work hard to develop their own resources, thus allowing them to feel worthy and of value based on their own efforts, not the help of others. These people may have been devalued in some way to force them to find it for themselves.

Rahu in the 3rd house/ Ketu in the 9th house - Ketu in the 9th house shows a person who was guided by gurus or teachers or relied on powerful teachers to uplift them and define their belief system, thus they may be very skeptical of teachers and Spiritual teaching in particular. Rahu in the 3rd house will show a native developing the courage to challenge and test their teachings and teachers and to explore their own paradigms of understanding aside from what they are told by others. This will give the native confidence in their own ability to make the right decisions regarding their own fate. These natives may have had an upbringing where an oppressive religious environment led to rebellion.

Rahu in the 4th house / Ketu in the 10th house - Ketu in the 10th house shows a native who relied on their worldly status and external power of achievement in order to feel secure. This lead to a person who felt too attached to their actions and ultimately defined by them. They will be skeptical of worldly achievement and all that it brings. Rahu in the 4th house shows a native developing a secure domestic life and the nurturing quality that accompanies it. Escaping from the world into ourselves, and feeling at peace in our own private world is key here. These native may have lacked proper nurturing when young, which compels them to find peace of their own accord.

Rahu in the 5th house / Ketu in the 11th house - Ketu in the 11th house show a native who relied on their external ambitions and the admiration of their peers in order to feel important. They willingly subjugated their personal, internal inspirations for the aspiration of others. The native will tend to shun those who wish to be aligned with them through a shared vision. Rahu in the 5th shows the need to develop that which they are the most inspired towards, not that which will make them popular or successful. An individual creative life is the most important to these native. Expressing their unique vision is key. They will likely be tempted to do what the masses deem as popular in order to refine their unique expression.

Rahu, Ketu and the Grahas

When Rahu joins or aspects a Graha it distorts that planet�s expression in a way similar to the effects described above. The aspect / conjunction not only affects the planet on a soul level, it affect the planets as a house lord, as a planet�s primary worldly influence is as a house lord. Rahu will explode the outer form of the Graha as a house lord and Ketu will cause the energy to be withdrawn and criticized. A planetary conjunction is more powerful than an aspect as the conjunction joins the energy of the Node with the energy of the planet.

Rahu conjunctions with a Graha show psychological influences that are becoming developed. Planets conjoined Rahu will likely be expressed with immaturity, as is the nature of Rahu. Ketu conjunctions show energies that are already developed and where we have much skill, yet we are trying to finish. Planets conjoined Ketu will likely have maturity and refinement to their expression, yet the native will not feel satisfied with their level of development.

Behaviorally Rahu will be over expressive and magnify or exaggerate the qualities of the planets he is associating with, especially through conjunction. This quality of exaggeration is how Rahu brings their forces into our lives. They may be exaggerated externally or internally as psychological forces, or both. All of this is dependant on the houses involved and conditions. Ketu will withdraw and collapse around the planets he is associating with, especially through conjunction. He will tend to hide those things from our view and the view of others as he focuses on them internally. Ketu will try to extract the purest essence from these planets. As such, we will only notice what is missing where Ketu is concerned. In can be stated that the stage of Rahu with a Graha is where the native is in the developmental stage of its energy, and Ketu is where this energy is being completed.

Sun

Rahu / Sun - The Rahu / Sun association will show a native who projects the power of the Sun and thus may appear very confident and charismatic, yet there is usually stress and fear beneath the surface revolving around a lack of confidence. Much of their bravado and dramatic expression is an over compensation for this fear. The true nature of Self is being developed in this native, thus a large ego can be seen in less evolved types as well as a personality, which over estimates in own importance to others. Over time, a person with this placement becomes more realistic about their own importance and greater understanding of themselves beyond the level of personality.

Ketu / Sun - The Ketu / Sun association shows very high levels of self-doubt and shows a native who is not likely to feel content with their worldly actions, they are be a perfectionist. No matter what they do in the world they will feel a sense of lack. The native is being freed from the ego and a need to feel confident and powerful as the skilled eye of Ketu watches every ego game and false expression of Self with disdain. The quality of surrendering their smaller Self to the highest Self is being developed. Many times this will show a Spiritual native. Usually this native has had a childhood where they felt isolated and were made to doubt themselves on a deep, core level.

Moon

Rahu / Moon - The Rahu / Moon native will have a sense mind and emotional core that are not fully anchored in the heart. Thus there will be an ungrounded quality and stress revolving around their basic feeling nature and expression as an embodied creature in a physical world. It is through the Moon that we take in our environment and either experience ourselves in a joyful or a stressful way. High levels of self-consciousness and feelings of separateness are seen here as the mind looks outside for what it inherently lacks within. Thus painful relationships of all sorts can result. Over time, and as external factors fail to bring peace, the native learns to trust their inner voice and high levels of intuition and even psychic ability can be seen.

Ketu / Moon - The Ketu / Moon association shows a native who experiences deep levels of doubt and criticism of their own mind and mental outlook. This is one of the most difficult placements as it can make for a deeply discontented mind and extreme moodiness. Typical worldly experiences and pleasurable emotions can lead to painful episodes under Ketu�s probing and watchful eye. Many of the moods are from past life events that overtake the native, and then pass. Smaller disturbances trigger mental episodes that neither the native, nor anyone else can control. Yet generally they are good at controlling the emotions as this placement shows, yet control is not the same as having the detachment to enjoy without longing or regret. .

Mars

Rahu / Mars - The Rahu / Mars association leaves the native feeling stress revolving around the use of personal will and strength. This native will be engaged in power struggles of all sorts. Arguments, impulsiveness and a hostile nature will be likely. Through the dissatisfaction experienced in these arguments and confrontations, they are developing courage to look within for truth and the discipline to take positive, focused action in order to grow toward a true and lasting power. That power cannot be eclipsed by the opinions of another or their perceived superior strength.

Ketu / Mars - The Ketu / Mars association shows a native who is skilled in the use of where to exert their personal, will yet they will experience some frustration with how to express this more humbled approach. This native may find himself in situations where they are tempted to fight or do battle on principle. The scrutiny of Ketu / Mars will likely see the futility in such a battle, yet later they will doubt if that was the right thing to do. This behavior may lead to occasional explosiveness and destruction as the Ketu / Mars energy is also finishing the tendency to destroy and break things in frustration.

Mercury

Rahu / Mercury - The Rahu / Mercury association shows an understanding of skills and information are being developed. This native will feel convinced that if they study, get as many facts as possible and develop their skills accordingly, there will be an ultimate answer. This leads to more and more frustration. as there is always another fact or skill to learn. What is being developed is the realization that the best use for our mind is as a tool that doubts all mental concepts as being ultimate. Rahu�s exhaustion of skills and information leads the mind to Jnana Yoga, recognizing each incorrect attachment to the thinking process. This allows us to separate truth from fiction.

Ketu / Mercury - The Ketu / Mercury association is showing the mind at the point where all mental concepts are in doubt and the highest levels of discrimination are being developed. A very skilled person and one with a probing intellect will be observed. Yet Ketu�s presence will be keenly aware of the pieces of information they do not have, rather than the ones they do. This can create much worry and mental vacillation as they keep searching for more information to doubt. They are learning to act more on intuition and to use the mind for its highest purpose, to see through the mental traps that give us the illusion of understanding and give the false paradigm of security we base our lives on.

Dear Anusha ji & Atul ji ,

Please go through the the following article by SH Sanjay Rath for clarity.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Sri Jagannath Vedic Center (2000) LESSON # 9

Rath’s Lectures

Compiled by J Sarat Chander, Jyotish Guru,

SJVC

KETU AND THE VARIOUS FORMS

Rahu & Ketu, we all know, are the two nodes. These two nodes are very difficult

to understand. Sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. Their

natures are so deceptive that predictions become really dicey. One who has

understood them properly will be blessed with good and accurate knowledge as a

Jyotisha.

Hindu literature is very clear about what exactly are Rahu and Ketu. Maharishi

Ved Vyas, the Paramaguru of Jyotish Shastra, has clearly explained the nodes in his

immortal work – “Srimad Bhagavatam”. The story of Rahu and Ketu is also detailed

elaborately in Vishnu Puran etc., linking these two to the Mohini Avatar of Bhagwan.

Relevant quotes could be found in Srimad Bhagavatam etc.

Let me explain the traditional scripture a little for the benefit of understanding

these nodes. It so happened that Sukracharya (Venus) was blessed with the

knowledge of “Sanjivani Mantra”1 after great tapasya for the benefit of all people

(universal benefit). Armed with this knowledge, Sukracharya could now revive all the

dead people. However, Asuraguru as he was, he chose to use the knowledge for

the benefit of the Auras contrary to the purpose for which he was blessed with this

mantra. Armed with the powers of Sukracharya, the Asuras attacked Devaloka.

Sukracharya would revive all the dead Asura soldiers while those on the Devaloka

were getting killed. Eventually, being hugely outnumbered, Indra lost his kingdom to

the Aruas.

When the defeated Devas approached Lord Vishnu for his protection, he advised

them to perform “Sagar Manthan”2 to attain Amrit3 consuming which would make

1 Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra is called the “Sanjivani Mantra”. The strength of this mantra is so

tremendous that it can cure all diseases. Sukracharya, is said to have been blessed with this mantra

by Lord Shiva after akhand tapasya and with his ‘tapobal’ and siddhi he had attained powers to revive

even the dead.

2 Churning of the ocean. Kurma Avatar of Lord Vishnu is associated with Sagar Manthan. The

churning (manthan) was done with the help of Mandara Mountain and Vasuki (the serpent on which

Lord Vishnu rests) when Lord Vishnu supported the sinking mountain at its base under ocean in the

KURMA AVATAR.

© Sri Jagannath Vedic Center (2000) LESSON # 9

them immortal. After all the churning, when the pot of Amrit was finally obtained, the

Devas and Asuras wanted their due share. Sensing a danger in the immortality of

Asuras, Lord Vishnu assumed the Mohini Avatar and enchanted the Asuras into

submission to accept the distribution of Amrit as Mohini would decide.

Swarbhanu, the most cunning and trusted assistants of Sukracharya sensed a

trick in the scheme of things and changed his form to look like a Deva and mingled

with the Devas. When he was served with his cup of Amrit, Surya detected him and

his disguise was blown up. Surya intimated the matter to Chandra (Moon) who

instantaneously reported it to Lord Vishnu (Mohini) who severed his head with his

Sudarshan Chakra. But, by that time Swarbhanu had already consumed the Amrit.

As a result, he had attained immortality, but having been severed by the Sudarshan

Chakra the head and body remained separated, which, eventually became Rahu –

the head, and Ketu – the body of Swarbhanu.

EXALTATION

Thus, Rahu always longs for the physical body while Ketu, the headless one,

always longs for the head where the Dhi Shakti (supreme intelligence) is present.

This is also one of the reasons why the two nodes attain exaltation in

Mithuna/Gemini (Rahu) – the natural 3rd house that rules the physical desires, and

Dhanu/Sagittarius (Ketu) – the natural 9th house ruled by Jupiter who is symbolic of

Dhi Shakti and overlords the department of Moksha. It is also because of this

reason that Ketu is known as the Naisargika Moksha Karaka.

GANESHA – KETU – AND MOKSHA

The traditional literature also explains the reason why Ketu is said to

represent Lord Ganesha4 and is associated with the department of Moksha as its

karaka.

Goddess Parvati created a clay model of a baby boy and infused life into it.

She then ordered him to stand guard while she had her ablutions. Lord Shiva who

returned home was stopped by this boy from entering the house. Infuriated with this

act, Lord Shiva killed the boy by severing his head with his Trishul5, without realizing

that after all the boy was his own son as it was Goddess Parvati who had created

him out of clay and infused life in him. When Goddess Parvati learnt of her son’s

death, she demanded that the boy be brought back to life. Lord Vishnu then ordered

that the head of the first visible living being be brought for bringing back the life in the

Lord Shiva consumed the poison spewed by Vasuki, thus, saving the universe. This poison, which

was arrested right in his throat, left a blue mark due to which Lord Shiva is also known as

‘NEELKANTH’.

3 Nectar, which bestows immortality or Amaratva.

4 Reference can be made from Shiv Puran etc.

5 Trident held by Lord Shiva

child. The first available living being was Iravata6, a white elephant, whose head

was severed and brought back to revive the dead child of Parvati, and is thus also

called Gajapathy. Lord Vishnu placed the head of the elephant and revived the child

back to life and named him Ganesha.

As it was Lord Vishnu who gave life to Ganesha, the entire focus or Dhyana of

Lord Ganesha is on Maha Vishnu. Hence, Lord Ganesha is known to naturally give

the gati7 for Moksha to any individual who prays to him. Since the body of the baby

boy was made out of clay and later on life infused in it by Goddess Parvati, Ketu is

also associated with our physical body. Since Ganesha got the head of an elephant,

Ketu, whenever placed in Sagittarius, is known to have assumed the Gajendra Rupa.

Similarly, Ketu is said to assume the head of the animal indicated by the respective

planet when placed in their respective houses, for example – when placed in the

house of Mars it is said to assume the head of Markata or a monkey.

.(78 ± 3$1&+$ 7$7:$ 9('$6

Brihaspati (Jupiter) rules the Aakasha Tatwa and this Akash Tatwa, in turn

has the deity Maha Vishnu in the teachings of Maharishi Parasara. Being the ruler of

Pisces, Brihaspati is the overlord of the department of Moksha and as Indra rides

Gajendra the elephant. Lord Ganesh who is called Gajapathy due to his elephant

head, is the natural karaka for Moksha as he is always in Dhyana of Vishnu. Ketu

assumes the Gaja Rupa when placed in Dhanu (Sagittarius) – a rasi owned by

Jupiter, and as it represents Ganesha, becomes the natural/Naisargika karaka for

Moksha. Therefore, Ketu is a great benefic planet for the purpose of Moksha Gati.

Thus, Ketu as Lord Ganesha represents the Aakasha Tatwa so far as Moksha Gati

is concerned.

The further divisions of the Tatwa and their relativity with Ketu in its various

forms are rendered in the form of the Four Vedas – the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur

Veda and Atharva Veda. In the scheme of the relativity of the Tatwa with the Vedas

and the four other forms of Ketu, Sun and Moon being the luminaries – the Atma and

Mana respectively, are exempt from consideration. Rahu too is left out as he is

responsible for rebirth due to desires and is opposed to Moksha. The further four

divisions and the forms are detailed in the following table and the pictures:

6 This Iravata is different from the vehicle/vahana of Indra. There is a puranic story behind why this

Iravata was sighted first for its head to be severed and used for reviving Lord Ganesha. This incident

was also to liberate Iravata from a curse. This liberation was to come on the orders/advice of Lord

Vishnu who was responsible to revive Goddess Parvati’s dead child and rename him as Ganesha.

7 Direction

VEDA RUPA (FORM) TATWA PLANET SIGNS

All

Knowledge

(Veda)

Gaja8 Rupa Akash

Tatwa

Jupiter All signs

Rig Veda Go9 Rupa (Ketu with

Cow head)

Jala

Tatwa

Venus Cancer, Scorpio

& Pisces (Water

signs)

Sama Veda Aja10 Rupa (Ketu with

Goat head also called

Ajaikapada)

Vayu

Tatwa

Saturn Gemini, Libra &

Aquarius (Airy

signs)

Yajur Veda Haya11 Rupa (Ketu with

Horse head also called

Hayagreeva)

Prithvi

Tatwa

Mercury Taurus, Virgo &

Capricorn (Earth

signs)

Atharva

Veda

Markata12 Rupa (Ketu

with Monkey head like

Hanuman)

Agni

Tatwa

Mars Aries, Leo &

Sagittarius (Fire

signs)

RAHU – KETU AND ASPECTS

From the above, it is clear that Rahu has the head and Ketu has no head to

cause aspect or drishti. Maharishi Parasara has clearly explained this in BPHS, from

which we get to understand aspects of all the planets, including the special aspects

of Mars, Juptier, Saturn (being the outer planets) and that of Rahu. Rahu, in

addition to the normal 7th house aspect, also aspects the 5th, 9th and the 12th from its

placement. The 5th and 9th house part of the aspects are in opposition to the aspects

of Jupiter who too aspects these houses in addition to the normal 7th house aspect.

This is because, Rahu is always opposed to the Devaguru Brihaspati and does

exactly the opposite of what Brihaspati does. Thus, while Brihaspati aspects the 5th

and 9th houses for ‘Poorva Punya’ and ‘Bhagya’ (fortune) respectively, Rahu aspects

the same houses to damage them due to ‘Poorva Paapa’ and ‘Daridra’ or misfortune

respectively. In addition, however, Rahu also has the 12th house aspect because of

which it gives him the powers (sixth sense) to see through shadyantra/scheming.

As for the results from the placement of the nodes in different Rasis, houses

and Arudas standard texts may be referred.

OM TAT SAT

Gaja -Elephant

9 Go – meaning cow

10 Aja – meaning goat

11 Haya – meaning horse

0DUNDWD ± PHDQLQJ PRQNH\

According to Jyotish pandits, Rahu and Ketu maintains a distance of 180 degrees and moves round the Sun. They stay in a house for nearly 18 months and takes about 18 years for a complete movement of houses on astrological charts. As they happens to be nodes, they do not have any lordship in any house. However, some astrologers says that lordship is attached to Rahu for Kanya Rasi while for Ketu to Meena Rasi. But, still it is debatable one. However, Rahu in Mesha, Vrushaba, Mithuna, Karkataka, Kanya, Vruschika and Kumba rasis and the in the ninth house is powerful. They aspects from their position in a house to the fifth, seventh and ninth houses. They gives results in which house they are positioned. If in Vrushaba Rasi, gives the results of the lord of their respective houses. It may be noted that in the natal chart, if Rahu is in the first, second, third, fifth, seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth, he bestows positive results. Like wise Ketu in Vruschika, Dhannus, Meena rasis, he is very strong. He will give sudden results. By analyzing the position of the placement of Rahu and Ketu, we can come to know the position of native as they plays an important role. According to some texts, Rahu is called as Sarpa while Ketu is termed as tail. If all the planets are in between Rahu and Ketu, it is considered as Kal sarp dosha If the native is under the influence of Kalasarpa dosha, the following sarpa sapa yogas will happens. Some of them is as under.

• If Rahu is positioned in the fifth house and aspects Kuja
  • Shani in the fifth house and the lord of the fifth house is with Rahu and aspects Chandra
  • The lord of the fifth house happens to be Kuja and associates with Rahu and not aspected by positive planets aspects.
  • If Guru associates with Kuja, and lord of the house associates with Rahu or Rahu in lagna, fifth, eighth and twelfth houses.
  • If Rahu associates with Budha or aspects in Karkataka and Dhannur lagna
  • The lord of the house associates with Rahu and the lord of the fifth house associates with Kuja and aspects Guru

The above positions indicates that the native will not have children. In the natal chart, Chandra with Rahu and in the Ketu in the eighth house causes Sarpa sapa.

Some of the yogas causes due to Rahu

Kapata Yogam

Shani in the fourth house and Rahu in the twelfth house causes this yoga. This type of yoga results that there will not be any relationship with practicality vs theory.

Kroda yogam

If Rahu or Ketu in lagna with Ravi, Budha and Sukra, this yoga forms. It will leads to disputes, controversies etc., the native may have to face losses and misery.

Pisacha yogam

If Rahu with Chandra in lagna, this Pisacha yoga forms. The native will suffer with severe diseases. He will have problems with higher officials and subjected to humiliations.

Remedial measures:

• Keep a Sampurna Kalasarpa Yantra and recite Sarpasukta parayana regularly. Naga Gayatri japa will be advantageous one.
  • Donate Naga and Nagini idol made of silver and donate the same in Lord Shiva temple on Monday.
  • Offer prayers to Lord Ganapati
  • To minimize the negative effects, natives have to offer prayers to Goddess Saraswati Devi, according to Lal Kitab
  • Wear a silver ring studded with the gems of Gomedikam and Vaiduryam (Cat's eye) will minimize the negative effects
  • Recite this mantra 'Om Namo Bhagavate vasudevaya' daily for 108 times.
  • Offer abishekam to Lord Shiva during Sravanamasam
  • Perform Sravana Monday vratam will equally benefit the native.
  • Recitation of Shiva sahasranamavali and Hanuman Sahasranamam will please Rahu and Ketu.
  • Wearing of light blue colored dress and also donating such dress or rose colour dress will please Rahu and Ketu.
  • Recitation of Rudrastadyayam in Sravanamasam will please Rahu and during Navarathri days, prayers to Goddess Durga will please Ketu.
  • If the gravity is severe, it is advised to perform japa of Mrutyanjaya mantra by a brahmin.

Dear Sandhu Ji,Pranams.

To me it looks logical that Rahu aspects in the direction it moves(anti CW) only,when we say it has aspects as the head with desires & Ketu,a dead body with no desires should have no aspect at all and no movement as well.

On the other hand When we belive both Rahu & Ketu move,there is no reason to belive that there is no aspect for Ketu.How then it is a dead body with no desires but only seeking mukthi?

As Rahu & Ketu are no physical bodies but only a nodal points of Sun & Moon,are they really play a role in the destiny of a person as Sun & Moon themselves,physical bodies?A mute point.

Trust only experts can explain.

Regards,

Anusha

Dear anusha ji,

Since the Experts like Sh KN Rao and sanjay rath differ in opinion ,its up to the aspirants to use their own point of view, It is believed that rahu and ketu are always retrograde, now this makes this topic all the more volatile and confusing, As per BPHS the bible of astrology only rahu has an aspect.so we can trust the treatise to guide us to our point of reckoning.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Dear Sandhu Ji,Pranams.

To me it looks logical that Rahu aspects in the direction it moves(anti CW) only,when we say it has aspects as the head with desires & Ketu,a dead body with no desires should have no aspect at all and no movement as well.

On the other hand When we belive both Rahu & Ketu move,there is no reason to belive that there is no aspect for Ketu.How then it is a dead body with no desires but only seeking mukthi?

As Rahu & Ketu are no physical bodies but only a nodal points of Sun & Moon,are they really play a role in the destiny of a person as Sun & Moon themselves,physical bodies?A mute point.

Trust only experts can explain.

Regards,

Anusha

Respected Sandhuji and anusha ji,

I am highly Thankful for this valuable information. I am sorry I am replying too late, I was not able to do earlier as my notebook was not working properly so was not able to post in last few days.

I think it is better to find repeatitive patterns in a chart rather than arriving at any conclusion on the basis of Ketu's aspects alone. and ketu's aspects should not be given too importance in a chart.

And I am sorry for the mistake in my last post while quoting the BPHS as not mentioning Rahu's aspect.

Regards