IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Any health reasons to avoid onion or avoid garlic ?

Rate this topic

I have given up garlic because it causes halitosis but I am still interested in scientific evidence of other detriments of garlic. Also what can I use to most closely approximate it without causing bad breath? I have heard someone say that hing will give onion taste but what about garlic taste?

>> garlic is poison

if poison means eat and die immediately or very soon,

i believe garlic is not.

however, i believe strongly garlic has its good and also has some bad, so i think it is a medicine herb, not like food grade herbs/food to be taken daily or in large quantity.

Plus garlic is entirely optional to human health and survival.

if i know there is some issues of caution and warning, it would rather avoid such food competely even not on religious ground.

I have given up garlic because it causes halitosis but I am still interested in scientific evidence of other detriments of garlic. Also what can I use to most closely approximate it without causing bad breath? I have heard someone say that hing will give onion taste but what about garlic taste?

Do you think giving up on onion and garlic would reverse the effects? That is, if you have extreme body odor, you stop consuming onion/garlic, would that help. What about other spices, like ginger or hing or carrots? Is BO related to root vegetables which have strong smell when raw?

I dont know for some reasons I find even the smell of hing a bit well, not so appealing. I was reading that in some hot and poor parts of India, they consume lot of onion with roti

Is BO related to root vegetables which have strong smell when raw?

I just try each one separately and see how it affects me. Onion doesn't seem to affect me the next day but when trying to chant Sansrkit the next morning after I have consumed garlic I can taste and smell something foul. Therefore I will not purchase it any more unless needed for some medicinal purpose. I haven't tried hing yet so I will see how that one goes.

Do you think giving up on onion and garlic would reverse the effects? That is, if you have extreme body odor, you stop consuming onion/garlic, would that help. What about other spices, like ginger or hing or carrots? Is BO related to root vegetables which have strong smell when raw?

From Wiki

Asafoetida has certain medicinal uses and most commonly is used as a digestive aid. It is reputed to lessen flatulence and is often added to lentil or aubergine dishes in small quantities.

It is also said to be helpful in cases of asthma and bronchitis.

A folk tradition remedy for children's colds: it is mixed into a pungent-smelling paste and hung in a bag around the afflicted child's neck.

In Thailand it is used to aid babies' digestion and is smeared on the child's stomach in an alcohol tincture known as "mahahing."

John C Duval reported in 1936 that the odor of asafoetida is attractive to the wolf, a matter of common knowledge, he says, along the Texas/Mexico border.

Asafoetida has also been reported to have contraceptive/abortifacient activity, and is related (and considered an inferior substitute to) the ancient Ferula species Silphium.

Asafoetida oleo-gum-resin has been reported to be antiepileptic in classical Unani as well as ethnobotanical literature.

Also i found out that lots of Buddhist information

mistaken hing/Asafoetida to to be one of their "five spices" to avoid

Would you share that information here, what you found about spices to avoid

For around ten years I did not eat onion and garlic and suddenly one day started. Before I started I use to suffer severe colds, asthma, hayfever and alerges. From my experience even if it is thamsic or rajsic and it is helping you take it. I found it helped built my immunity like anything.

Hing I did not find that effective.

For around ten years I did not eat onion and garlic and suddenly one day started. Before I started I use to suffer severe colds, asthma, hayfever and alerges. From my experience even if it is thamsic or rajsic and it is helping you take it. I found it helped built my immunity like anything.

Hing I did not find that effective.

Are you saying that your health improved AFTER taking onion and garlic. I read somewhere about garlic boosting up immune

And my question to all devotees out here, will it offend you ,if some vegetarian or vegan eats onion,garlic, masoor dal, radish,etc. ?

Edited by OmHari

Actually the origin of garlic and onion are from an asura when the milk ocean was churned to get nectar.When the nectar was distributed one asura who took along with Devas was chopped off his head by the discus of the Lord.Then from the dripping blood which fell on earth came garlic and onion came from the phlegm from the asura.Since it had also nectar mixed they have medicinal properties,but as they are from the asura's body,they have tamasic qualites.Hence Sadhaks are asked to avoid them

You believe this literally?

Are you saying that your health improved AFTER taking onion and garlic. I read somewhere about garlic boosting up immune

And my question to all devotees out here, will it offend you ,if some vegetarian or vegan eats onion,garlic, masoor dal, radish,etc. ?

There are some devotees who will avoid any red vegetable. I was in a discussion where devotees were declaring carrots to be be the same as meat because of some story in the Puranas. They also avoided tomateos, beets and possibly radishes.

Apparently some blood from a cow entered the earth and caused the appearance of these vegetables or something. Quite silly in my estimation.

There are some devotees who will avoid any red vegetable. I was in a discussion where devotees were declaring carrots to be be the same as meat because of some story in the Puranas. They also avoided tomateos, beets and possibly radishes.

Apparently some blood from a cow entered the earth and caused the appearance of these vegetables or something. Quite silly in my estimation.

I am having hard time in believing these stories already, and in my opinion these things discourage some people to join "faith". I think being vegetarian/vegan would be enough, and limiting diet to not eating carrots, or radishes, red lentlils, tomatoes, seem to me little outrageous. Why do people fall for these things. In fact, its not even mentioned anywhere as far as I know in the texts (forgive me if it is, AND if so, let me know where and which verse,etc)

This way, I like Jainsim, where atleast they rationalilze their not eating ANY roots.

Yours humbly,

OmHari

I agree. If they are hit with stories like this as religious law of some kind many thoughtful people will also think other things in Krishna consciousness may be just fables also.

Its interesting if you check out the history of tomatoes and potatoes, it had been introduced in Asia, only a few centuries back from South Americas. Whereas Onions and garlic were grown indigenously and has been eaten since prehistoric times.

According to Kurma dasaji's Page

Onions & Garlic in relation to Vaishnavism

Why no Garlic and Onions?

Most Vaishnavas do not consume either onions or garlic. However in our research we find it for a varied myriad of reasons.

(i) because they are of the food category of Rajas and Tamas. They cause a disturbance, and even pain and sickness to those who eat them. Especially if you are not used to eating them and find them slipped into a meal – painful air, diarrhea, are often side effects – symptoms of the modes of passion and ignorance.

(ii) because they (such foods) cannot be offered to the Deity.

(iii) because they impair Deity worship by their profound and even bad smell, and their repeating nature so as to effectively disqualify the sadhaka from performing Deity worship as laid down in the Hari Bhakti Vilas, and Bhaktirasamrta Sindhu (even Hing and Gingerly are mentioned, what to speak of onion and garlic) regarding making sure that such foods that repeat upon one, and that food in general is thoroughly digested before one performs the pujas.

(iv) Because the onion and garlic are considered to grow below the ground and thus tamasiki in nature many chaste Vaishnavas would not partake of them.

(v) because they are not a native to devotional cooking see (I) & (ii) & (iii) being introduced from

other countries (karma bhumi – outside of dharma-bhumi) like so many other things.

(vi) because of the references to their origin as being derived of animal sacrifice, as evolved from the sin of steeling the offering and when caught for that by her husband throwing that to a distant place where due to its being impregnated with life invoking mantras took the seed form as red dahl, red onion and white onion.

(vi) because of the references to their origin as being derived of animal sacrifice, as evolved from the sin of steeling the offering and when caught for that by her husband throwing that to a distant place where due to its being impregnated with life invoking mantras took the seed form as red dahl, red onion and white onion.

quote.gif

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

If one wants to follow Deity worship then it is enough that one's guru has said "don't offer krishna this items".

Prabhupada said don't offer chocolate because it has caffeine. A group of his disciples became obsessed with try to show Srila Prabhupada why he was wrong.

Rather it contained caffeine or not was never really the point. Guru is trying to save us from death so why nit pick over such instructions?

I am not a disciple nor do I make formal offerings of my food so I don't worry about it.

The health benefits of garlic is the allicin and that you can get it a form that causes no bad breath or "repeating". Neither garlic nor onions make me "repeat" anyway. That is if repeat is supposed to be a polite way to say fart. LOL

Main Entry:re·peat·ing audio.gifPronunciation: \ri-ˈpē-tiŋ\ Function:adjective Date:1824 of a firearm : designed to load cartridges from a magazine

Yeah that is kinda like farting I guess.