IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vrindavan

Any health reasons to avoid onion or avoid garlic ?

Rate this topic

My guru is strictly against using them.

Because they are too powerful and can cause disbalance.

However, he admits that this power canbe used for healing, when and if needed.

He is strongly against mustard and hing.

>> mustard

not heard about restriction on this before, any reasons behind?

>> hing

for this, i really not sure if it is ok or not ?

As it is used by certain groups to replace onions ?

or replace garlic ?

Hing's taste is not attractive to me,

i don't need hing,

but maybe someone will look for hing substitute,

an endless replacement cycle ? :confused:

>> mustard

not heard about restriction on this before, any reasons behind?

>> hing

for this, i really not sure if it is ok or not ?

As it is used by certain groups to replace onions ?

or replace garlic ?

Hing's taste is not attractive to me,

i don't need hing,

an endless replacement cycle ? :confused:

This is because you are not educated about ayurveda. Vegetarians require protein of beans. In order to net get flatulence you cook beans with hing. Hing, asafoetida is good for digesting dahl. They make a chaunce with spices like cumin, hing, fenugreek etc. In India, people eat dahl by adding hing nearly everyday with rice or chapatis.

But right, if you are a meat-eater you dont need hing.

Thanks for let me know about hing is useful on bean dishes.

But are there other food preparation methods to prevent flatulence other than using hing ?

>> if you are a meat-eater you dont need hing.

but i suppose meat eaters also eat beans or vegetables too.

In order to net get flatulence you cook beans with hing. Hing, asafoetida is good for digesting dahl. They make a chaunce with spices like cumin, hing, fenugreek etc. In India, people eat dahl by adding hing nearly everyday with rice or chapatis.

Respected Sir,

There is no strict medical or health reason for not eating Onion and garlic. In fact they are very helpful for our health. Onion being Vaat shamak (Painkiller in local application) in ayurveda and proved to have antioxident properties as per modern medicine and with lot of other properties is advised in our daily food. Also Garlic reduces bad cholestrol and increases good cholestrol.

Only thing should be kept in mind that the yellowish rough part on top of onion and garlic should not be eaten, this is stated to have carcinogenic properties in studies.

Kind Regards

Atul

Yes you should not eat onions & garlic. No medical reason, but metaphysical reason. You can only feel it if your mind is pure..i have felt it. I feel very relaxed after leaving them. It was very difficult for me to cook & eat my food without them & all the spices which i used to put earlier....now its only cumin + turmeric + ginger + tomatoes + coriander leaves. My mind is more focused now. It does not dwells on lower levels.

an endless replacement cycle ? confused.gif

Haha. Yes an edless cycle indeed. I knew a devotee couple that used hing as a substitute for garlic in their making of "garlic" bread. It was really good.

Garlic and onion are very healthy foods.

Are there any strictly health related reasons to avoid eating onion or avoid garlic ?

because some people do not care much if you mention religious reasons

Thanks

No. Garlic and onion are very good anti-inflamatory herbs. The only reason people don't eat onion and garlic is because they are considered to be rajasic foods by Vaishnavas. They also think that mushrooms, which have been considered as anti-virals, are rajasic and avoid them.

No. Garlic and onion are very good anti-inflamatory herbs. The only reason people don't eat onion and garlic is because they are considered to be rajasic foods by Vaishnavas. They also think that mushrooms, which have been considered as anti-virals, are rajasic and avoid them.

Mushrooms are tamasic, not rajasic.

That is because they are a fungus grown in the dark. If I grow a fungus in the dark what guna would you suppose it to be in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vrindavan

Are there any strictly health related reasons to avoid eating onion or avoid garlic ?

Thanks

Certainly. It makes your mouth stink.......

One thing to add though if you offer you food to Krishna you should follow your guru's instructions on the matter irregardless of anything else.

They can still be taken separately as medicines.

Mushrooms are tamasic, not rajasic.

That is because they are a fungus grown in the dark. If I grow a fungus in the dark what guna would you suppose it to be in?

Lotuses grow out of the mud, are they also tamasic? And, just because it is classified as a fungus, doesn't mean that it doesn't still have many beneficial properties.

Lotuses grow out of the mud, are they also tamasic? And, just because it is classified as a fungus, doesn't mean that it doesn't still have many beneficial properties.

A lotus is a flower, a mushroom is a fungus, which is commercially grown in the dark.

Nobody has ever said that mushrooms were bad for the gross physical body. You think things are simply good or bad. It's not that simple. Fluoride, for example, is toxic, hence it is regulated in childrens toothpaste since it can poison them. It is, however, very good for teeth.

A lotus is a flower, a mushroom is a fungus, which is commercially grown in the dark.

Nobody has ever said that mushrooms were bad for the gross physical body. You think things are simply good or bad. It's not that simple. Fluoride, for example, is toxic, hence it is regulated in childrens toothpaste since it can poison them. It is, however, very good for teeth.

I can see we're not going to agree on this. I see no reason why a mushroom would be bad for the soul or mind... you apparently do... let's just agree to disagree.

Health Benefits of Garlic

Beware! It's the Opposite of What you Might Think

Garlic Desynchronises your Brainwaves

http://www.relfe.com/health_benefits_of_garlic.html

Garlic Dangers

http://www.garlic-central.com/dangers.html

Garlic for Pets

http://www.garlic-central.com/pets.html

Self-inflicted garlic burns: our experience and literature review

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118619271/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Warning: Garlic Is a Powerful Blood Thinner

Garlic must be used with caution by people who have a bleeding disorder, or are on blood thinning medication such as aspirin or warfarin, because it is a powerful blood thinner. Other side effects include bad breath, body odor, heartburn, upset stomach, and allergic reactions.

http://herbal-properties.suite101.com/article.cfm/why_garlic_is_good_for_your_health

Side Effects and Cautions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic#Side_effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic#Cautions

Garlic - history

http://www.plantcultures.org/plants/garlic_history.html

Garlic In addition to warding off vampires, one to three cloves of garlic daily can help lower cholesterol and protect against cancers of the stomach, prostate and colon. Garlic’s antibacterial and antifungal properties also boost the immune system. But before you start popping cloves, realize that they’ve got to be crushed to make their benefits available. The key healthful ingredient, allicin, only forms when exposed to air. Similarly, when you cook with garlic, let the crushed or chopped cloves stand for 10 minutes first. And if you’d rather take a garlic supplement, make sure it contains allicin.

Not everyone’s gonzo about garlic. Ayurveda, the traditional Indian healing system, cautions that garlic heats the body, so it could aggravate problems with digestion, hot flashes, excessive body heat or tendencies to be impatient or angry. And although garlic thins the blood, which can help lower blood pressure, it also increases the risk of bleeding if you’re having surgery or are taking blood thinners, including aspirin.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/food-pharmacy%E2%80%94a-hype-free-look-at-seven-healthy-foods.html

Thanks

Actually the origin of garlic and onion are from an asura when the milk ocean was churned to get nectar.When the nectar was distributed one asura who took along with Devas was chopped off his head by the discus of the Lord.Then from the dripping blood which fell on earth came garlic and onion came from the phlegm from the asura.Since it had also nectar mixed they have medicinal properties,but as they are from the asura's body,they have tamasic qualites.Hence Sadhaks are asked to avoid them

Haha. Yes an edless cycle indeed. I knew a devotee couple that used hing as a substitute for garlic in their making of "garlic" bread. It was really good.

Garlic and onion are very healthy foods.

As a devotee of Hari, do you think eating onion and garlic would matter?

As a devotee of Hari, do you think eating onion and garlic would matter?

Not at all IMO. However if you have a spiritual master who instructs you differently then you should follow what he says even if it seems out moded by today's medical science or not, for to disobey the guru would be detrimental to the spiritual life of the disciple.

Health Benefits of Garlic

Beware! It's the Opposite of What you Might Think

Garlic Desynchronises your Brainwaves

http://www.relfe.com/health_benefits_of_garlic.html

Ginger was suggested as a substitute for garlic and I will have to see how that tastes - ginger bread in place of garlic bread? One consideration is that garlic can be had in large quantities very cheaply in the spice department of WalMart. Ginger is much more expensive.

I could find no independent corroboration for this claim:

So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that it's a poison.

I did find this through a Google search:

http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2007/february/garlic.html

That study was funded by he National Institutes of Health; there is no

mention of garlic being a poison; "garlic can still be a valuable part of the diet".

One potential reason for the confusion surrounding garlic’s reputed health benefits is that the supplement makers themselves funded many of the previous studies claiming that garlic lowered cholesterol.

I don't think that any of the previous studies funded by the supplement makers themselves reached the conclusion that garlic is poison. Frankly I don't think Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc is credible at all.

>> garlic is poison

if poison means eat and die immediately or very soon,

i believe garlic is not.

however, i believe strongly garlic has its good and also has some bad, so i think it is a medicine herb, not like food grade herbs/food to be taken daily or in large quantity.

Plus garlic is entirely optional to human health and survival.

if i know there is some issues of caution and warning, it would rather avoid such food competely even not on religious ground.

I find the food topics interesting, and if someone has done any history studies, I would like to know were the root vegetables like carrots,ginger,onion,garlic,potato etc eaten at the time of Hari or even Mahaprabhu? Also what about animals who are closely related to us, do they eat that? In Ayurveda some benefits are mentioned. If you say garlic is not consummable, then what about mustard seeds,they are obviously not good in excess quatities