IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sailu

What is Ego? please clarify!

Rate this topic

yes but one thousand part makes him smaller .

dont you agree?

By the time Ramayana was written, the name Rudra is taken as a synonym for Shiva and the two names are used interchangeably.

I know so you agree now.

All shakt and shaiv ultimately say that their godis attributeless and formless and this is the highest state.

unlike vaishnavs.

I know so you agree now.

All shakt and shaiv ultimately say that their godis attributeless and formless and this is the highest state.

unlike vaishnavs.

On the question of which is the best, shivaism or vaishnavism. It simply adds that whatever the way each man may choose as being most in conformity with his own nature, the final end to which it leads, provided it be strictly orthodox, is always the same, the end in every case is effective realization of a metaphysical order, which will be more or less direct or more or less complete, according to the circumstances in which it is undertaken and the extent of the intellectual possibilities of each human being.( Rene Geunon)

explian this please

i am not good with physics nor high class english words

The shaivas and vaishnavas each possess their own special books, The Puranas and the Tantras, which form part of the body of the traditional writings known collectively as smrti and which correspond particularly to their respective tendencies. These tendencies nowhere appear more clearly than the way in which they respectively interpret the Doctrine of Ivatiras or Divine manifestation. This doctrine which closely bound up with the conception of cosmic cycles deserves to be studied separately.( Rene Geunon)

These tendencies nowhere appear more clearly than the way in which they respectively interpret the Doctrine of Ivatiras or Divine manifestation.

where do they appear clearly

where do they appear clearly

That the Divine Aspects are each regarded as being endowed with a power or energy of their own called shakti which is represented symbolically under a feminine form, the Shakti of Brahma is Sarawasti. That of Vishnu is Lakshmi and that of Shiva is Parvati.

i know this but please tell your point .

i just said that shaiv are nirgun

they are advait

ltheir ultimate destination as i know is of turiya awastha

nirvikalpa samadhi

to enter the limitless light

i know this but please tell your point .

i just said that shaiv are nirgun

they are advait

ltheir ultimate destination as i know is of turiya awastha

nirvikalpa samadhi

to enter the limitless light

Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, " O almighty Lord, I have no desire to accumulate wealth, nor do I desire beautiful women, nor do I want any number of followers. I only want Your causeless devotional service birth after birth."

Let me explain it again.

Ego is a Latin word for "self".

We should not confuse that with "false ego".

Ego is the sense of individual existence.

It is the Latin word for the soul or the self.

The term ego is not a derogatory term in it's original form.

It only becomes derogatory when it is said as "false ego".

Ego has wrongly become a derogatory term in modern vernacular, but strictly speaking in the original Latin it simply means "self".

I am not aware of latin origin. Let us discuss original Sanskrit word AHAM, which is transliterated as Ego.

I have not seen using the word AHAM in good sense and not aware there is one more attribute called bad AHAM.

When you identify yourself as "I" with reference to "NOT THIS and NOT THAT" which is a part of Maya is also Maya. But ?How? cannot you identify yourself when you are in a bodily form? When you say "I", how can get away from AHAM. It is only possible when you cannot see yourself for ever IMO.

When you say "I", how can get away from AHAM. It is only possible when you cannot see yourself for ever IMO.

Maybe you are unaware of this, but millions and millions of people do not believe in the soul or eternal life.

Maybe in India most everyone believes in karma, samsara, jivatma etc. etc., but in many parts of the world people do not believe in the soul.

They only believe that they are the material body and mind and that at death they cease to exist.

They don't believe in God, but they think they are the doers.

So, this is called AHANKARA.

Do you know about AHANKARA?

Maybe you should find out about this false concept of AHAM as AHANKARA.

Bhagavad-gītā As It Is 3.27

prakṛteḥ kriyamāṇāni

guṇaiḥ karmāṇi sarvaśaḥ

ahańkāra-vimūḍhātmā

kartāham iti manyate

SYNONYMS

prakṛteḥ — of material nature; kriyamāṇāni — being done; guṇaiḥ — by the modes; karmāṇi — activities; sarvaśaḥ — all kinds of; ahańkāra-vimūḍha — bewildered by false ego; ātmā — the spirit soul; kartā — doer; aham — I; iti — thus; manyate — he thinks.

TRANSLATION

The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out by the three modes of material nature.

PURPORT

Two persons, one in Kṛṣṇa consciousness and the other in material consciousness, working on the same level, may appear to be working on the same platform, but there is a wide gulf of difference in their respective positions. The person in material consciousness is convinced by false ego that he is the doer of everything. He does not know that the mechanism of the body is produced by material nature, which works under the supervision of the Supreme Lord. The materialistic person has no knowledge that ultimately he is under the control of Kṛṣṇa. The person in false ego takes all credit for doing everything independently, and that is the symptom of his nescience. He does not know that this gross and subtle body is the creation of material nature, under the order of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and as such his bodily and mental activities should be engaged in the service of Kṛṣṇa, in Kṛṣṇa consciousness. The ignorant man forgets that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is known as Hṛṣīkeśa, or the master of the senses of the material body, for due to his long misuse of the senses in sense gratification, he is factually bewildered by the false ego, which makes him forget his eternal relationship with Kṛṣṇa.

Bhagavad-gītā As It Is 7.4

bhūmir āpo 'nalo vāyuḥ

khaḿ mano buddhir eva ca

ahańkāra itīyaḿ me

bhinnā prakṛtir aṣṭadhā

SYNONYMS

bhūmiḥ — earth; āpaḥ — water; analaḥ — fire; vāyuḥ — air; kham — ether; manaḥ — mind; buddhiḥ — intelligence; eva — certainly; ca — and; ahańkāraḥ — false ego; iti — thus; iyam — all these; me — My; bhinnā — separated; prakṛtiḥ — energies; aṣṭadhā — eightfold.

TRANSLATION

Earth, water, fire, air, ether, mind, intelligence and false ego — all together these eight constitute My separated material energies.

Dear All, I read all your postings. Its a good discussion. It would have been much better if the thread starter 'sailu' was more active and not passive with only just 2 postings while the others are very much on discussion especially 'sant' and 'melvin1' and my dear old friend 'bhaktjan'. Good work guys. Keep the good work going. Hope 'sailu' gets more active with her/his participation.

Oneness means that everything is one. :) In a physical system, 'one' would be a formless singular point in an otherwise empty space. The point 'contains' everything that exists, and as such, it is the basis of everything.

How can that be? Well, this point or singularity has infinite qualities, such as infinite speed, infinitesimal size and complete consciousness of its infinitely diverse (complex nonlinear or chaotic) trajectory in space. This total singular consciousness is reality (Brahman).

Somehow, human consciousness is a mere fraction of total consciousness. We are only conscious of reality every now and then (Maya). As such, we are one with God, but different from God. And, consequently, we perceive a fragmented and temporal (material) world, in which separate temporary objects appear to exist.

False ego (Ahankara) is based on the false idea that all the separate objects in our causal material world comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting material beings..

Oneness means that everything is one. :) In a physical system, 'one' would be a formless singular point in an otherwise empty space. The point 'contains' everything that exists, and as such, it is the basis of everything.

How can that be? Well, this point or singularity has infinite qualities, such as infinite speed, infinitesimal size and complete consciousness of its infinitely diverse (complex nonlinear or chaotic) trajectory in space. This total singular consciousness is reality (Brahman).

Somehow, human consciousness is a mere fraction of total consciousness. We are only conscious of reality every now and then (Maya). As such, we are one with God, but different from God. And, consequently, we perceive a fragmented and temporal (material) world, in which separate temporary objects appear to exist.

False ego (Ahankara) is based on the false idea that all the separate objects in our causal material world comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting material beings..

This is what I've been telling me mum and co-workers.

Both groups have very special nick-names for me that I wont post here.

It`s absolute monism

It`s saguna

It`s bheda-abheda

It`s all in the mind:)

Maybe you are unaware of this, but millions and millions of people do not believe in the soul or eternal life.

Maybe in India most everyone believes in karma, samsara, jivatma etc. etc., but in many parts of the world people do not believe in the soul.

They only believe that they are the material body and mind and that at death they cease to exist.

They don't believe in God, but they think they are the doers.

So, this is called AHANKARA.

Do you know about AHANKARA?

Maybe you should find out about this false concept of AHAM as AHANKARA.

I think I am aware of Ahankara or Ahankari. A person who possess Aham is called Ahankara or Ahankari. We call that person as egoist in English. I am skeptical to tranlsate it as false ego as did by Prabhupada. I always view Aham as ego as an undesirable attribute yet we can't get rid of it, though it varies in degrees between person to person. I believe AHAM is an attribute of a living form like the wetness of water. How religous we are, we will view women as women and dog as dog. We always fail to see the common among all just because of material comparison. Aham can be in various forms at action level, oral or spoken level or thought level. Unfortunately Human beings are not immuned to cease it completely as the AHAM is the attribute of a biological body and biological needs bring out the AHAM always. I have to agree with you it will disappear during spiritual union with the god but come back again. I have not seen a person or a religious preacher who will not display AHAM in any form.

I figured out you are referring the AHAM displayed in physical level as false ego.

I think Budhists and Christians also believe in Karma and reincarnation but they cannot understand the metaphysical complexity of Hinduism.

The ego depends on how much is your consciousness expanded

Itzhak Bentov a pupil of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi draw this diagramn of two guys, lets say + is Tim and * is John:

gods consciousness(overlapping).+.....*................+...*

level of the higher self.......................+.....*.........+...*

level of the soul.....................................+.....*+....*

physical level.............................................+....*

Tim an John are separate on the physical level, but as their consciousness expandes there is more overlaping and they are more the same, the individual ego becomes universal one.There is a video on youtube

No one has yet to mentioned the word: 'Oblivion'.

There is ego (False vs Good vs Transcendental) all of which are rooted in "an individual self".

Living in reality is 'very nice'.

Living in oblivion is 'seeing one's own work etc as all-in-all'.

The Soul seek ananda (enjoyment).

Material Energy is Temporary —so the Soul cannot find enjoyment without first constructing it from the fruits of labor [then later to live-out the concomitant factor of dissolution of one's 'piece-of-heaven'].

There must be a place/sphere/environment/person/Shangra-la/Eden where peace reigns as defacto . . . and it isn't here in the material world—That we are sure of!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..

We people are all watching the same Movie Screen --but, we are all seeing the same field --from different POVs [point-of-views].

Each Soul's POV is an example of the 'relationship' of:

"A jiva-atma (an individual Soul) versus the 'field of activities' "

We watch passively or intensely to Romantic Drama —and then leave to live our real-life Dramas, albeit with dull-witted-commoners with little ambitions in far-away hills & valleys & city suburbs—and then CONPLAIN THAT IT IS A FALSE DREAM TO ESCAPE INTO A VOID.

All 'Things' are real, real, REAL! At all times!

There is real "space" [brahman].

In this space TIME passes!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

YOU CAN'T TAKE A PERSONS SOUL AWAY FROM THEM!

we each have an ADDRESS of our own:

"OUR OWN INDIVIDUAL PERSONAL SOUL"

Therefore:

A PERSONS SOUL CANNOT BE TAKEN AWAY!

[they're stuck with their own soul]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So, Ego is real. And it exists in the material energy.

The Question is Who is this Supreme Personality of Egos?

Can I seek out Krishna*, the Supreme Personality of Personalism's Ego?

{*This is a trick question --the constitution of Krishna's ego is His "Personality". Get it?}

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So, Ego is real. And it exists in the material energy.

The Question is Who is this Supreme Personality of Egos?

Can I seek out Krishna*, the Supreme Personality of Personalism's Ego?

{*This is a trick question --the constitution of Krishna's ego is His "Personality". Get it?}

Ego is based on the false idea that all consciously perceived separate objects in our causal (temporal) material world, comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting - conscious material beings..

So, Ego is real (everything is real), but Ego is false (as a personal theory). And the Supreme Personality has no Ego, because He is total consciousness; He is everything. Nothing can be distinct or separate from everything..

The ego depends on how much is your consciousness expanded

Itzhak Bentov a pupil of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi draw this diagramn of two guys, lets say + is Tim and * is John:

gods consciousness(overlapping).+.....*................+...*

level of the higher self....................+.....*.........+...*

level of the soul..................................+.....*+....*

physical level..........................................+....*

Tim an John are separate on the physical level, but as their consciousness expandes there is more overlaping and they are more the same, the individual ego becomes universal one.There is a video on youtube

Hmm.. :)

According to the OED & Soon-to-be unvailed new entry to Wikipedia:

"Ass-Backwards" You've got it "Ass-Backwards".

..........................................................................................

My edits are in Bold Type:

Ego is based on the [existance of personal Consciousness] that all consciously perceived separate objects in our causal (temporal) material world, comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting - conscious material beings..

So, Ego is real (everything is real), but Ego is false [False-Ego is false]. And the Supreme Personality [is the Origin of Personality and traits of persona found in all living entities], because He is total consciousness; He is everything. [Every other thing in creation is distinct and seperated from Him yet they are without animation & purpose without seeking out their origin in the form of Godhead Krishna and His own Pastimes]..

Please forgive any offense I've made herein above --I speak academically and I intend no harm and brusing of your ego or your hine-quarters. Just par for the course.

academically yours,

Bhaktajan

According to the OED & Soon-to-be unvailed new entry to Wikipedia:

"Ass-Backwards" You've got it "Ass-Backwards".

..........................................................................................

My edits are in Bold Type:

Ego is based on the [existance of personal Consciousness] that all consciously perceived separate objects in our causal (temporal) material world, comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting - conscious material beings..

So, Ego is real (everything is real), but Ego is false [False-Ego is false]. And the Supreme Personality [is the Origin of Personality and traits of persona found in all living entities], because He is total consciousness; He is everything. [Every other thing in creation is distinct and seperated from Him yet they are without animation & purpose without seeking out their origin in the form of Godhead Krishna and His own Pastimes]..

Please forgive any offense I've made herein above --I speak academically and I intend no harm and brusing of your ego or your hine-quarters. Just par for the course.

academically yours,

Bhaktajan

No offense taken. :) Maybe we can agree on this revised version:

Ego is based on the false personal idea that all consciously perceived separate objects in our causal (temporal) material world, comprise all of reality; and that we ourselves are distinctly individual - and autonomously acting - material beings..

So, Ego is real (everything is real); but Ego is false as a personal theory of the self. The Supreme Personality has no such False Ego, because He is total consciousness; He is everything. Nothing can be distinct or separate from everything..

Btw, don’t worry about my ego. It doesn’t exist as a personal theory..

Try eyeballing a newly born child. He`s egoless. If he has an ego it`s unreal. Ego is the identity we give to this child. It becomes false when he starts accepting the name we`ve given him. According to Lord Caitanya, " His constitutional position is that he is a pure living soul. His material body cannot be identified with his real self; nor is the mind his real identity, nor his intelligence, nor false ego. His identity is that of eternal servitor of the Supreme Lord Krsnah. His position is that he`s transcendental. Krsnah`s superior energy is spiritual in constitution, and the inferior external energy is material. Since he is between the material and spiritual energies, his position is marginal. Belonging to Krsnah`s marginal potency, he is simultaneously one with and different from Krsnah. Because he is spirit, he is not different from Krsnah, and because he is only a minute particle of Krsnah, he is different from Him." Here Lord Caitanya does not give the information about the spirit soul that is already described in Bhagavad-gita. Rather, he begins from the point where Krsnah ended His instruction. Lord Caitanya is Krsnah Himself, and from here He begins this instruction to Sanatana from this point of view where He ended His instruction to Arjuna in Bhagava-gita.