IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sonic Yogi

The Transcendental Madness of Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu

Rate this topic

The ocean of ecstatic love for Kṛṣṇa is very difficult to understand, even for such demigods as Lord Brahmā. By enacting His pastimes, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu submerged Himself in that ocean, and His heart was absorbed in that love. Thus He exhibited in various ways the exalted position of transcendental love for Kṛṣṇa.

The Lord would maintain Himself in three states of consciousness: sometimes He merged totally in ecstatic emotion, sometimes He was in partial external consciousness, and sometimes He was in full external consciousness.

Actually, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu was always merged in ecstatic emotion, but just as a potter's wheel turns without the potter's touching it, the Lord's bodily activities, like bathing, going to the temple to see Lord Jagannātha, and taking lunch, went on automatically.

When Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu realized Lord Jagannātha to be Kṛṣṇa Himself, Lord Caitanya's five senses immediately became absorbed in attraction for the five attributes of Lord Kṛṣṇa.

PURPORT

Śrī Kṛṣṇa's beauty attracted the eyes of Lord Caitanya Mahāprabhu, Kṛṣṇa's singing and the vibration of His flute attracted the Lord's ears, the transcendental fragrance of Kṛṣṇa's lotus feet attracted His nostrils, Kṛṣṇa's transcendental sweetness attracted His tongue, and Kṛṣṇa's bodily touch attracted the Lord's sensation of touch. Thus each of Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu's five senses was attracted by one of the five attributes of Lord Kṛṣṇa.

Guest Melvin1

It was the chanting of Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare that made Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu mad. Here I quote from Lord Nimai Pandit himself," My dear sir, My spiritual master considered me a great fool. Therefore he has more or less punished Me by saying that I am such a fool I have no capacity to study Vedanta. So in turn he gave me the chanting of Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare..My spiritual master told Me, ` Just go on chanting this Hare Krsna mantra; it will make You all-perfect.` "

Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu said, "'Though the hearts of the gopīs are like high-standing hills, they are inundated by the waves of the nectarean ocean of Kṛṣṇa's beauty. His sweet voice enters their ears and gives them transcendental bliss, the touch of His body is cooler than millions and millions of moons together, and the nectar of His bodily fragrance overfloods the entire world. O My dear friend, that Kṛṣṇa, who is the son of Nanda Mahārāja and whose lips are exactly like nectar, is attracting My five senses by force.

"Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa's beauty, the sound of His words and the vibration of His flute, His touch, His fragrance and the taste of His lips are full of an indescribable sweetness. When all these features attract My five senses at once, My senses all ride together on the single horse of My mind but want to go in five different directions.

"My mind is just like a single horse being ridden by the five senses of perception, headed by sight. Each of My senses wants to ride that horse, and thus they pull My mind in five directions simultaneously. In what direction will it go? If they all pull at one time, certainly the horse will lose its life. How can I tolerate this atrocity?

"My dear friend, if you say, 'Just try to control Your senses,' what shall I say? I cannot become angry at My senses. Is it their fault? Kṛṣṇa's beauty, sound, touch, fragrance and taste are by nature extremely attractive. These five features are attracting My senses, and each wants to drag My mind in a different direction. In this way the life of My mind is in great danger, just like a horse ridden in five directions at once. Thus I am also in danger of dying.

"The consciousness of each woman within the three worlds is certainly like a high hill, but the sweetness of Kṛṣṇa's beauty is like an ocean. Even a drop of water from that ocean can flood the entire world and submerge all the high hills of consciousness.

"The sweetness of Kṛṣṇa's joking words plays indescribable havoc with the hearts of all women. His words bind a woman's ear to the qualities of their sweetness. Thus there is a tug-of-war, and the life of the ear departs.