IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sant

Who's God

Rate this topic

If Durga Devi is Bhagavan, then wouldn't that be Bhagavani ?

The cult of Hindus who think that Durga Devi is supreme above Siva, Vishnu or Krishna is a relatively small cult.

Most Hindus believe in a male God either as Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu or Krishna.

It is laughable that anyone would seriously propose that Durga Devi is the supreme being above Shiva, Vishnu or Krishna.

Hindus brought up in their particular family traditions find it almost impossible to rationally approach the Vedic siddhanta.

They feel some obligation to just blindly accept and follow the family traditional god and they are not willing to intelligently and impartially study the Vedic shastra like Upanisads and Puranas.

Vyasadeva himself said that Srimad Bhagavatam would be his own commentary on Brahma-sutra, but many Hindus ignore that and try to elevate some other Purana above the one that Vyasadeva himself said was the most elevated commentary on Vedanta Sutra.

If the compiler of the Vedas says that Srimad Bhagavatam is the essence of the Vedanta Sutra, then shouldn't that give us a clue as to which Purana is the topmost?

Guest Melvin1

" Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet." ( Bhagavad-gita 7.23)

sonic yogi

devi bhagwatam is also a purana

it is like srimad bhagwatam

also i will give you about a text which shows supremacy of the devi

posting it on the other thread

sant , i was merely suggesting the pancha devata upasana which is performed by smarta brahmins when i said devi , mahesh, surya ,vishnu , and ganesh . by this theory all of them are different manifestations of brahman and all are equal in their status .

sonic yogi , you should stop arguing with people who have been born in the bharata varsha itself and have been reared in its ancient culture unlike you . you said .....

If Durga Devi is Bhagavan, then wouldn't that be Bhagavani ?

ha ha !!! :D didnt you know that there is indeed a female form of the word bhagavan ? let me educate you on the basics -- the word is bhagavati and it is universally applied on the divine mother !!

The cult of Hindus who think that Durga Devi is supreme above Siva, Vishnu or Krishna is a relatively small cult.

Most Hindus believe in a male God either as Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu or Krishna.

its really astonishing to think that you can possibly know about hindus and their manners in a greater detail than hindus themselves when your institution itself considers themselves non-hindu and living away in a distant land like usa . did you ever come to india ??!! i doubt !!

the rest of your post is meanigless and merely an expression of what you think ( not that it is something new !!!! )

HE Has A Point But The Cult Who Beleive Bhagwati To Be Supreme Is Small And Is Only Limited To Places Such As Where You Live

BUT EVEN THEY BELIEVE I THINK IN WHAT YOU SAY-

THAT DEVI IS IS A MANIFESTATION OF BRAHMAN.

HE Has A Point.........

hardly !! maybe you see it because you're still in learning phase !!!

...........But The Cult ...............

start thinking beyond cults , orders , organizations , institutions . they are impediments to spiritual progress .

ARE YOU NOT

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>hardly !! maybe you see it because you're still in learning phase !!!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->OR

ARE YOU SELF REALISED

as per my opinion first comes the reading and knowing phase , that which is called utsahamayi by gaudiya vaishnavas . next comes the actual practice of what you have learnt to believe . last comes the realization- if almighty wills .

i have tried reading a lot but im sure that there is a lot more to read . similarly i try to practice what i read but fail very often . lastly as regards to ralization i have none and generally qoute the words of realized souls while posting .

but learning phase does not merely include a knowledge of shastra to me . it includes a knowledge of history , evolution of religion , comparative religions , different sects within a religion , sociology , nature , and basics of science . all these helps you in understanding religion in a better way .

its evident from your posts and you have admitted it earlier that you want to know and learn ..........thats why i used the word .

HE Has A Point But The Cult Who Beleive Bhagwati To Be Supreme Is Small And Is Only Limited To Places Such As Where You Live

BUT EVEN THEY BELIEVE I THINK IN WHAT YOU SAY-

THAT DEVI IS IS A MANIFESTATION OF BRAHMAN.

Everything is a manifestation of Brahman.

Nothing can exist outside of Brahman.

Even maya is a transformation of Brahman.

It is not special thing to say that Durga Devi or any goddess is a manifestation of Brahman.

Maya means to see something as not Brahman.

Because, in reality everything is manifesting out of Brahman.

sonic yogi

devi bhagwatam is also a purana

it is like srimad bhagwatam

also i will give you about a text which shows supremacy of the devi

posting it on the other thread

No, that is not my point.

Vyasadeva himself said that Srimad Bhagavatam was the commentary on Vedanta Sutra and the essence of Vedic knowledge.

Devi Bhagavat is only supreme in tamasic Puranas, but Srimad Bhagavatam is the Purana most highly proclaimed by Vyasadeva the compiler of Vedas.

No Vedic scholar will claim Devi Bhagavat as topmost Purana.

That is only told by those who don't know Vedic siddhanta.

Sambya,

i have one thing to say : Why don't you reconcile ganpatya/shakta/shaiva or surya dharmas with the vedas/vedanta and then make the claims you are making ?? perhaps you could be called sambyacharya ???

I challenge you.Accept it or shut up.

Why don't you reconcile ganpatya/shakta/shaiva or surya dharmas with the vedas/vedanta and then make the claims you are making ?? perhaps you could be called sambyacharya ???

if you dont know already , advaita vedanta has no enimity with shakta shaivas ganapatyas or sauryas . all these sects accept advaita and nirvikalpa . it only that they prefer to worship brahman through any one these manifestations of brahman .

its only the vaishnavs that disagree and harbour enimity towards advaita vedanta . and you also might be knowing that altough vedanta has two shcools of study - dvaita and advaita it is the latter with which the term(vedanta) is commonly associated among general masses .

you are free to get the facts verified from religious historians and sociologists in case you disbelieve me .

No, that is not my point.

Vyasadeva himself said that Srimad Bhagavatam was the commentary on Vedanta Sutra and the essence of Vedic knowledge.

there are many direct commentaries on vedanta sutras . there are many dvaitic bhasyas also . so , why would any prudent man refer to an indirect bhasya of vedanta sutra(bhagavatam) leaving aside the original direct ones ?

Devi Bhagavat is only supreme in tamasic Puranas,

this has already been discussed elesewhere in this forum--

there is only one purana which makes these classification--padma purana . and strangely enough it catagorizes itself among the satvick list . now , natural law lays down that the judge should be impartial and not a party to dispute . this purana gives a judgement and also includes itself in the judgement . this is unfair and against basic moral laws . naturally this judgement stands void .

speak of something else !!

No Vedic scholar will claim Devi Bhagavat as topmost Purana.

true !! neither would they accept chaitanya charitamrita , brahma samhita , large sections of mahabharata and authenticity of krishna's existence .............. that is , if you are so eager to talk about vedic researchers and scholars .

true !! neither would they accept chaitanya charitamrita , brahma samhita , large sections of mahabharata and authenticity of krishna's existence .............. that is , if you are so eager to talk about vedic researchers and scholars .

Wrong, in fact many of the followers of Mahaprabhu were great Vedic scholars.

Mahaprabhu himself was a great Vedic scholar and Brahmana.

That is the difference between the Devi cult and Gaudiyas. The Gaudiyas have established Gaudiya siddhanta on the basis of the Vedic shastra.

The shaktas have only the Devi Bhagavat to propound a claim that cannot otherwise be supported with the Vedic shastra.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>Devi Bhagavat is only supreme in tamasic Puranas</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>sonic yogi tell one text that says devi bhagawatam is tamasic

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 3ex; BORDER-TOP: #666666 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 3ex; BORDER-LEFT: #666666 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #666666 1px solid" bgColor=#e0e0e0>there is only one purana which makes these classification--padma purana .</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

no

even devi bhagwat mentions satwic tamsic and rajasic puranas

not only other shastras are also classified like this.

[post 51 OF DEVI BHAGWAT THREAD]