IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
MoonWalker

Lagna Sandhi Question : A Learning Point

Rate this topic

I could not find this in any text and would like the learned here to shed some light on it:

If there is lagna sandhi, for example between Mesha and Vrishabha (lets say 29 degrees 35 minutes into Mesha). In the Mesha horoscope, Mangal is aspecting lagna and in the Vrishabha horoscope, Shukra is exalted. Which would be stronger? Also, if one would wear a moonga would it strengthen and put in favor the Mesha lagna over the Vrishabha lagna and vice versa with a diamond?

I could not find this in any text and would like the learned here to shed some light on it:

If there is lagna sandhi, for example between Mesha and Vrishabha (lets say 29 degrees 35 minutes into Mesha). In the Mesha horoscope, Mangal is aspecting lagna and in the Vrishabha horoscope, Shukra is exalted. Which would be stronger? Also, if one would wear a moonga would it strengthen and put in favor the Mesha lagna over the Vrishabha lagna and vice versa with a diamond?

Please learned ones, some help?

Planets give results due to their placement in a Rasi and Bhava. When

the planets are placed in the Rasi Sandhi, the planet becomes

extremely weak to support the houses it lords and hence the houses

ruled by this planet becomes weak and suffers. However when a planet

is placed in a Bhava sandhi, the planet's affect of placement in that

bhava is almost nill. For example, we all know that Sun's placement in

the Lagna Bhava makes the person Bald and have defective eye sight.

However, if Sun is placed quite far from the degree of the Lagna, near

the sandhi (around 15deg away each side of lagan degree), these

effects will not be prominent.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Ppena, Sandhu Ji, USR Ji, Deepa Ji, anyone?

Some more inputs from a thread at Some other Forum By my Dear and esteemed friend Rajeev Sharma.

Phaladeepika very clearly says that a planet may be in its exaltation sign or any other good sign (it may be its own or a friendly planet's sign) but if it is in the first or the last degree of a sign (i.e. in rashi sandhi from 0 deg 00 min to 0 deg 59 min or from 29 deg 01 min to 30 deg 00 min) it is regarded powerless...

I also read some where else that the most effective point (MEP) in a horoscope is five degrees on either side of the degree of the lagna... e.g. if lagna is 15 degrees then the planets (anywhere in the chart) having long. between 10 deg to 20 deg will be most effective in exerting there influence...

case of a kid who was recently born (I can not reveal his full details as it would be against the ethics however I will mention those details which are necessary for our present discussions), the ascendant is Aries 00 deg 42 min and Jupiter’s longitude was Cancer 29 deg 15 min. according to Phaladeepika the Jupiter, though in exaltation, should be powerless however as its longitude falls within 5 degrees of the degree of the ascendant it should be in its most effective region. One way to check the effectiveness of Jupiter was to check that whether the child survived or not. It is said that if Jupiter is in Kendra (in this case it is exalted too) the new born kid survives come what may as it overrides other new born death causing combinations. The child is alive and is very religious even at a very young age. To explore it further I went to the hospital where the child was born and checked their records with in two hours of this birth (but not before I loosened my pocket for Rs. 500; a small sum for making astrological research) i.e. as long as the Aries ascendant remained. Three kids were born there after about 45 minutes of this time with in half an hour, and though the hospital is one of the most advanced in northern India, they did not survive. It was my reading that after the ascendant gained some degrees the most effective point shifted beyond the degrees of Jupiter and as Jupiter was rendered powerless it was unable to save those kids.

My conclusion to this whole exercise is that the planets in Rashi Sandhi are totally powerless but if they fall with in the most effective point of the horoscope their being powerless is overridden.

I may be incorrect in my conclusion so I would like to have a discussion here in this regard.

The following article belongs to SJC and is written by Smt Sarbani Rath

Sandhi or the transition zone between one bhava and another and between two rashis, is a problematic field of study in jyotish. It is a nebulous area where astrologers have so far failed to throw light on the reasons behind the peculiar nature of planets in sandhi and their effects on people’s lives. Being transitional in nature, sandhis are fuzzy and grey areas and planets placed in them are extremely fragile. They not only provide troublesome lives to their natives, but continue to torment them throughout their lives by being unable to provide the results of their bhavas or their rashis. The asymmetrical juxtaposition of the rashi and bhava chakras complicates the situation further whereby bhavas and rashis overlap each other and planets caught in these points, affect both their rashi and bhava positions. Astrologers have tended to overlook this aspect entirely where planets in sandhi occupying different rashis and bhavas will not yield results of one or the other. It is therefore necessary to examine this phenomenon from closer quarters.

Bhava sandhi

There are two existing methods of defining bhavas. One is the universally accepted method of Parasara and the other is the Sripati Paddhati. The Sripati Paddhati recognises the midheaven or the tenth house as a very crucial point in a horoscope and one, which cannot be ignored. He therefore charts his path from the lagna to the 10<SUP>th</SUP> house, or from Prajapati (the ruler of lagna) to Indra (the ruler of the 10<SUP>th</SUP> house), and divides the area into three parts. This comprises half the lagna, the 11<SUP>th</SUP> and the 12<SUP>th</SUP> houses and a half of the 10<SUP>th</SUP> house.

Parasara’s position on the other hand begins with his object of worship, namely Surya and Brahma. Surya the sun god, the source of all light, is but another name for jyotisha, or the light of god. Brahma is the creator of this universe. Together, Brahma and Surya represent Prajapati or the lagna. To Parasara, everything in the horoscope is based on the lagna, a point depicting the moment of creation. The horoscope is thus nothing but a map of the heavens at the time life began. Since the lagna is the entirety, it is but only natural that bhava should be based on the lagna and the lagna lord. Bhavas portray a person’s perceptions regarding his own life. The self or the created being (which is lagna), once created, begins to perceive and bhavas represent his perceptions of the different aspects of his life, as characterised by separate houses. The Sripati Paddhati therefore fails here as it cannot be applied to the created being, but only for the devas like Indra.

A bhava or a rashi may be defined as nine navamshas. Navamshas are fixed and comprise one fourth of a nakshatra. The last navamsha of a bhava which is 3° 20´ and the starting navamsha of the next bhava, which is again 3° 20´, comprise the areas delineated as bhava sandhi.

Continued

Rashi sandhi

Lagna being a sensitive point, any planet placed in rashi sandhi loses its power to do any good for its own house, and subsequently destroys the house. A planet in bhava sandhi on the other hand, will only be concerned about saving its own house and not be bothered about its environment. Bhava and rashi sandhis therefore act in opposite ways while meting out their negative results. The lagnadhipati when placed in the lagna, usually gives a person name and fame, but if placed in bhava sandhi, it will not do anything remarkable for him. Let us take the example of the native given below.

Chart 1 Male

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 281.25pt; HEIGHT: 165.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="ns_chart" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\abc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

The native in Chart 1 was born with an unrecorded but an approximate birth time. Upon his birth it was predicted that he would achieve great fame for himself. On this basis the placement of lagnadhipati Jupiter in Pisces lagna was ascertained outside the bhava sandhi boundary. For a lagnadhipati placed in bhava sandhi would not have made it possible for the native to have written several books and acquire a name for himself as he did internationally in astrology. The lagnadhipati in this case has not only protected the bhava, but being the lord of the lagna placed in its own house, reached the native to great heights of intellectual creativity and fame.

Chart 2 Female

<v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 281.25pt; HEIGHT: 165.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="ns_chart" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\abc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

The above chart is an example of rashi sandhi, whereby the planet placed in rashi sandhi has destroyed its own houses. Mars, lord of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 9<SUP>th</SUP> houses is placed at rashi sandhi at 0°5´ Taurus, the transitional point between the rashis Aries and Taurus. Being lord of the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 9<SUP>th</SUP> houses, it has denied the native the fruits of these houses at a physical plane. As lord of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> house, Mars at bhava sandhi has prevented the native from creating and sustaining a home and family. While as lord of 9<SUP>th</SUP> house it has denied her pitrisukh, as she lost her father when she was 21 years. This is a clear example of how a planet placed in rashi sandhi destroys the houses it owns.

The worst forms of rashi sandhis are known as gandantas. Parasara has identified 3 gandantas, namely, Pisces-Aries, Cancer-Leo and Scorpio-Sagittarius overlapping their nakshatra gandantas at Revati-Ashwini, Ashlesa-Magha and Jyeshta-Moola. Of these he considers the Jyeshta-Moola gandanta to be the worst afflicted and the Revati-Ashwini to be the least problematic. The deity of the nakshatra lord is to be propitiated for the solution to this predicament.

One must note that a planet placed in rashi sandhi may or may not occupy the same bhava. If the planet is in rashi sandhi and in the same bhava, it will give the result of the bhava rather than the rashi. If it is placed in a different bhava, the results of the ownership of the house will prevail. In the case there are too many planets in one rashi, the native will be confused as to what he truly desires. In this instance the placement of the lords of the bhavas in the different houses becomes very important.

<!-- #EndEditable -->

Rashi sandhi

Lagna being a sensitive point, any planet placed in rashi sandhi loses its power to do any good for its own house, and subsequently destroys the house. A planet in bhava sandhi on the other hand, will only be concerned about saving its own house and not be bothered about its environment. Bhava and rashi sandhis therefore act in opposite ways while meting out their negative results. The lagnadhipati when placed in the lagna, usually gives a person name and fame, but if placed in bhava sandhi, it will not do anything remarkable for him. Let us take the example of the native given below.

Chart 1 Male

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 281.25pt; HEIGHT: 165.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\abc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.png" o:title="ns_chart"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

The native in Chart 1 was born with an unrecorded but an approximate birth time. Upon his birth it was predicted that he would achieve great fame for himself. On this basis the placement of lagnadhipati Jupiter in Pisces lagna was ascertained outside the bhava sandhi boundary. For a lagnadhipati placed in bhava sandhi would not have made it possible for the native to have written several books and acquire a name for himself as he did internationally in astrology. The lagnadhipati in this case has not only protected the bhava, but being the lord of the lagna placed in its own house, reached the native to great heights of intellectual creativity and fame.

Chart 2 Female

<v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 281.25pt; HEIGHT: 165.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\abc\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image003.png" o:title="ns_chart"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

The above chart is an example of rashi sandhi, whereby the planet placed in rashi sandhi has destroyed its own houses. Mars, lord of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 9<SUP>th</SUP> houses is placed at rashi sandhi at 0°5´ Taurus, the transitional point between the rashis Aries and Taurus. Being lord of the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 9<SUP>th</SUP> houses, it has denied the native the fruits of these houses at a physical plane. As lord of 2<SUP>nd</SUP> house, Mars at bhava sandhi has prevented the native from creating and sustaining a home and family. While as lord of 9<SUP>th</SUP> house it has denied her pitrisukh, as she lost her father when she was 21 years. This is a clear example of how a planet placed in rashi sandhi destroys the houses it owns.

The worst forms of rashi sandhis are known as gandantas. Parasara has identified 3 gandantas, namely, Pisces-Aries, Cancer-Leo and Scorpio-Sagittarius overlapping their nakshatra gandantas at Revati-Ashwini, Ashlesa-Magha and Jyeshta-Moola. Of these he considers the Jyeshta-Moola gandanta to be the worst afflicted and the Revati-Ashwini to be the least problematic. The deity of the nakshatra lord is to be propitiated for the solution to this predicament.

One must note that a planet placed in rashi sandhi may or may not occupy the same bhava. If the planet is in rashi sandhi and in the same bhava, it will give the result of the bhava rather than the rashi. If it is placed in a different bhava, the results of the ownership of the house will prevail. In the case there are too many planets in one rashi, the native will be confused as to what he truly desires. In this instance the placement of the lords of the bhavas in the different houses becomes very important.

<!-- #EndEditable -->

Thank you from coming to the rescue, Sandhu Ji. I am very appreciative. I understand that at lagna sandhi, the lagna becomes weak. But my question is:

For example, with 2 lagnas: Mesha (with Mangal aspecting lagna from 6th) and Vrishabha (with Shukra exalted in 11th) and being in lagna sandhi, whose results on life would be more expected?

Or another good example, with Meena (Guru in 9th aspecting lagna) versus Kumbha (with Shani in 9th exalted) and being in lagna sandhi, whose results on life would be more expected?

Basically, is the exalted lagnesha's or the aspecting lagnesha's lagna stronger?

Thanks.

Thank you from coming to the rescue, Sandhu Ji. I am very appreciative. I understand that at lagna sandhi, the lagna becomes weak. But my question is:

For example, with 2 lagnas: Mesha (with Mangal aspecting lagna from 6th) and Vrishabha (with Shukra exalted in 11th) and being in lagna sandhi, whose results on life would be more expected?

Or another good example, with Meena (Guru in 9th aspecting lagna) versus Kumbha (with Shani in 9th exalted) and being in lagna sandhi, whose results on life would be more expected?

Basically, is the exalted lagnesha's or the aspecting lagnesha's lagna stronger?

Thanks.

Would love your insight, Sandhu Ji.

Dear moonwalker,

Why dont you draw a chalit chart of the two lagnas, see the exact positioning of the planet , Now in Dasha and bhukti of the concerned planet it gives a significant result

as per its nature, placements and aspects. Its not an easy question to answer and it has already taxed the limited rescources of my mind.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Ps. please read the following paragraph clearly, it in itself is not an easy topic to divulge on.

Sandhi or the transition zone between one bhava and another and between two rashis, is a problematic field of study in jyotish. It is a nebulous area where astrologers have so far failed to throw light on the reasons behind the peculiar nature of planets in sandhi and their effects on people’s lives. Being transitional in nature, sandhis are fuzzy and grey areas and planets placed in them are extremely fragile. They not only provide troublesome lives to their natives, but continue to torment them throughout their lives by being unable to provide the results of their bhavas or their rashis. The asymmetrical juxtaposition of the rashi and bhava chakras complicates the situation further whereby bhavas and rashis overlap each other and planets caught in these points, affect both their rashi and bhava positions. Astrologers have tended to overlook this aspect entirely where planets in sandhi occupying different rashis and bhavas will not yield results of one or the other. It is therefore necessary to examine this phenomenon from closer quarters.

Bhava sandhi

Eagerly awaiting your reply...Sandhu Ji. :)

Guest bhai

SIR.,

MY ASCENDANT IS CANCER 1:07 

BUT I HAVE PHYSICAL FEATURES OF GEMINI ..

PEOPLE SAY IAM LAGNA SANDHI??

CAN YOU HELP ME WITH IT ??