IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Visitor

Scriptural reference required : Vamana lila - Shukracharya loosing eye

Rate this topic

Dear all,

Pranam.

It is popularaly known that during Lord Vamana's avatar Shukracharya blocked the spout of the water pot that was being used to seal the deal between Bali and God. Following which the Lord uses a sharp straw to poke out his left eye. The problem is i can't find any scriptural sources where this is mentioned.

I have had a quick read of the Srimad Bhagvatam and the Vamana Purana however I dont believe this is mentioned here. Does anyone know where i should be looking?

Thank you

Regards

Ok sorry to go back to this, i need more help in finding the reference that states the Lord Vamana actually placed His foot on King Bali's head. According to the Srimad Bhagvatam King Bali offers his head at 8.22.2 but by the time he's finished explaining Prahlad Maharaj appears on the scene at 8.22.12. The Lord instructs Bali to go to Sutala at 8.22.33 but i couldnt find the reference where the Lord places His foot on Bali's head. Have i over looked something or is it in another text somewhere?

Ok sorry to go back to this, i need more help in finding the reference that states the Lord Vamana actually placed His foot on King Bali's head. According to the Srimad Bhagvatam King Bali offers his head at 8.22.2 but by the time he's finished explaining Prahlad Maharaj appears on the scene at 8.22.12. The Lord instructs Bali to go to Sutala at 8.22.33 but i couldnt find the reference where the Lord places His foot on Bali's head. Have i over looked something or is it in another text somewhere?

It is not explicitely in Srimad Bhagavatam or Vamana purana. It only seems to be part of a legend related to the Onam - or Vaman Jayanti festival of Kerala:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onam

http://www.swaminarayan.org/festivals/vamanjayanti

Had a quick look at the sacred texts website but there doesnt seem to be much information on Vamana avatar. Any other suggestions? Surely this significant action can't have all been made up??