IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sambya

shyamaa sangeet - bengali devotional songs to kali

Rate this topic

" o my mother ! o dweller of the cremation grounds !

i know that cremation grounds are your abode and your chosen place .

now , just to invite you , i have made my heart a crematorium also . ive destroyed all my pride and belongings , i have burnt away all my ego and desires in the pyres within my heart . now , my heart is as barren as crematorium . come o mother , step in the crematorium of my heart .

i do not have any more worldly cravings . the fire of your seperation is the only thing in me now. come o mother .

come o mother , with the mahakaal shiva at your feet , with the ankle bells tingling because of your divine dance , and allow me to behold your radiant face before my final journey towars the crematorium(death) . "

" i wont call you mother any more .

you are giving me much pain and sufferings.

i have been calling you for so long , but inspite of my repeated cries you choose to remain deaf and dumb .

the decision's taken . you are no longer my mother .....

i 'll go from door to door begging for a morsel of food .

do you think its you alone who feeds me ?

if the mother dies , cant a son live alone ? "

" all faults are mine alone , o mother ! whatever sufferings i've to bear is only due to my own karma . i have no one to blame .

its me alone who digs up a channel and as a result drowns in its water .

i have no one to blame . i left my dharma and adharma and tried to dig the well of immortal nectar in the field of your holy name . but alas ! due to my bad samskars i got only poison from the well to quench my thirst with .

the tears that were in my eyes are now dropping on my chest . i know not how to preserve my life any longer . im waiting for you , o mother , waiting for a glimpse of you alone . "

" the bumble bee of my mind has found its way to the lotus of shyamaa 's (kali) feet . oh ! the lotus feet of mother shyama , the feet of mother kaali . the intoxicating pleasures of material world are now nothing to me . they have all drowned in the ocean of bhakti . in the feet of my divine mother . "

" o mind! why do you think so much ? just sit down at my mothers feet .

if you do lavish pujas you risk the chance of developing fine ego,

that's why its best to worship her alone , away from the rest of the world .

why do you always need a deity of brass , wood or stone ?

make a deity within your heart , seated within the thousand petalled lotus.

why do you need fruits and sweets ?

just please her with the drink of your bhakti-sudha.

why do you call for chandeliers and thousand lamps ?

decorate your mind with the gems of different virtues and see them shining all the day and night.

why do you sacrifice the goats and lambs .?

put your lust , anger , greed and other vices on the sacrificial alter and chop them off from your true self.

ramprasad says to his own mind , why do you need drums for a puja ?

sound the vibrations of her divine name and keep yourself to her lotus feet " .

o mother , my coming into this human birth has been in vain ....

human birth is designated for realising you but i dont do any of that . im carried away by false material pleasures just as an illussioned bee sits on a painting of a lotus thinking it to be real.

o mother , you have brought me into this earth with the promise of giving me something sweet to eat .but in the end i see that you are giving me bitter neem leaves.

still ignorant as i am dont realise the truth and roam about the life with the expectations of sweet and a bitter taste in my mouth .

what do you want you son to do ? mother ? im not getting any satisfaction from the kind of play you are keeping me engaged at.

ramprasad says whatever was to happen in this life has happened . now the night is falling fast . lift you son fast in your arms and take me home .

So, now if I worship Michelle Obama that is also spiritual and spiritual discussion?

obviously no !! :)

and i dont want another 'who is the supreme god' kind of discussion here once more !!!!!!

its just that kali is not god as per your perception..........

" o my mother ! o dweller of the cremation grounds !

i know that cremation grounds are your abode and your chosen place .

now , just to invite you , i have made my heart a crematorium also . ive destroyed all my pride and belongings , i have burnt away all my ego and desires in the pyres within my heart . now , my heart is as barren as crematorium . come o mother , step in the crematorium of my heart .

i do not have any more worldly cravings . the fire of your seperation is the only thing in me now. come o mother ..

It should be noted that Uma-mahesvara are a part of the raasa leela.I may worship them,but just so i can get devotion at sRi Radha's feet.It is exactly like worshipping Hanuman,so that we get the mercy of Sri Rama.

Do note the last statement also.I am guessing this is Sri Ramakrishna's prayer.His life events can lead to one conclusion for me : He worshipped Uma so he could get mercy of Sri Krsna.After all He was very vocal about Sri Vishnu's supremacy.

"

come o mother , with the mahakaal shiva at your feet , with the ankle bells tingling because of your divine dance , and allow me to behold your radiant face before my final journey towars the crematorium(death) . ".

Divine dance..

"

" i wont call you mother any more .

you are giving me much pain and sufferings.

i have been calling you for so long , but inspite of my repeated cries you choose to remain deaf and dumb .

the decision's taken . you are no longer my mother .....

i 'll go from door to door begging for a morsel of food .

do you think its you alone who feeds me ?

if the mother dies , cant a son live alone ? "

Such display of feelings towards any of Sri Bhagavan's parikar is not new.The divine anger,etc. has been manifested in many cases.

"

" all faults are mine alone , o mother ! whatever sufferings i've to bear is only due to my own karma . i have no one to blame .

its me alone who digs up a channel and as a result drowns in its water .

i have no one to blame . i left my dharma and adharma and tried to dig the well of immortal nectar in the field of your holy name . but alas ! due to my bad samskars i got only poison from the well to quench my thirst with ..

Humility.Reference to the holy name.Please note the name,"SHYAMA".The original Shyama is Radha.We call brahm Shayma shyam.

"

" the bumble bee of my mind has found its way to the lotus of shyamaa 's (kali) feet . oh ! the lotus feet of mother shyama , the feet of mother kaali . the intoxicating pleasures of material world are now nothing to me . they have all drowned in the ocean of bhakti . in the feet of my divine mother . "

" o mind! why do you think so much ? just sit down at my mothers feet .

if you do lavish pujas you risk the chance of developing fine ego,

that's why its best to worship her alone , away from the rest of the world .

why do you always need a deity of brass , wood or stone ?

make a deity within your heart , seated within the thousand petalled lotus.

why do you need fruits and sweets ?

just please her with the drink of your bhakti-sudha.

why do you call for chandeliers and thousand lamps ?

decorate your mind with the gems of different virtues and see them shining all the day and night.

why do you sacrifice the goats and lambs .?

put your lust , anger , greed and other vices on the sacrificial alter and chop them off from your true self.

ramprasad says to his own mind , why do you need drums for a puja ?

sound the vibrations of her divine name and keep yourself to her lotus feet " .

o mother , my coming into this human birth has been in vain ....

human birth is designated for realising you but i dont do any of that . im carried away by false material pleasures just as an illussioned bee sits on a painting of a lotus thinking it to be real.

o mother , you have brought me into this earth with the promise of giving me something sweet to eat .but in the end i see that you are giving me bitter neem leaves.

still ignorant as i am dont realise the truth and roam about the life with the expectations of sweet and a bitter taste in my mouth .

what do you want you son to do ? mother ? im not getting any satisfaction from the kind of play you are keeping me engaged at.

ramprasad says whatever was to happen in this life has happened . now the night is falling fast . lift you son fast in your arms and take me home .

Such a method of worship of Uma is NOWHERE mentioned in any of her scriptures.How much ever anyone might deny it,this method of attaching the mind to the Form of the Lord and the holy name is ONLY enlisted in the Bhakti Scriptures.

It is VERY VERY important to note the process of FOLLOWING one of Sri Bhagavan's parikar to obtain to his/her rasa,method of worshipping Sri Krsna,etc. In this,the mind is always attached to the particular parikar(Say lalita).The sadhaka always chants Lalita's name and sings her glories.He always puts Lalita in front of Sri Bhagavan.This is not speculation.This is fact.

Sri Ramakrishna is said to have had intense bhava of Sri Krsna.I strongly believe that Vivekananda has got everything wrong.He has very conveniently provided his own interpretation to the realisations of ramakrishna.He has always stained it with his advaitic point of view.Never in Ramakrishna's statements do we find such confusion.

I still have to say that I'm not sure about Ramakrishna.On one hand he glorifies Sri Vishnu as the sole paramatma and on the other,he displays wierd realisations(according to Vivekananda's account.)

I am guessing this is Sri Ramakrishna's prayer.

no !!! these are ancient folk songs highly popular all over the bengal belt being sung for centuries....

Please note the name,"SHYAMA".The original Shyama is Radha.

where did you get this ? which scriptures which verse ?

on the other hand radha is reffered to as 'chandi' twice in geetgovindam , which you might be knowing that this is the first recorded mention of radha anywhere in the history of existing literature . now we all know the antiquity of the name 'chandi' . so who was the original chandi and who the derivative ??!!

Such a method of worship of Uma is NOWHERE mentioned in any of her scriptures

you say 'her scriptures' which refers to tantra . what principal books of tantra have you been through ??

How much ever anyone might deny it,this method of attaching the mind to the Form of the Lord and the holy name is ONLY enlisted in the Bhakti Scriptures.

which historical record undeniebly prooves this ? mention the book and the author please !!!

as regards to scriptural records there are plenty to show just the opposite !!! ! ;)

actually you have been educated to understand kali as a ghastly god meant of unintelligent worshippers . seeing for the first time ever such high thoughts contained in songs to kali , your inherent confusion is making you hold back to your own ishta(krishna) , and this is coming out as subconcious reinforcements of your beliefs in the form of the above sentence.

.I strongly believe that Vivekananda has got everything wrong.

just as i believe that youve been brainwashed wrong !!!!!!! :P

Never in Ramakrishna's statements do we find such confusion.

I am not sure about Ramakrishna.

the statements are paradoxical . you are confused and might require some rest ......

On one hand he glorifies Sri Vishnu as the sole paramatma and on the other,he displays wierd realisations(according to Vivekananda's account.)

youve not read anything about ramakrishna and know nothing about the social heritage of bengal ( both at time of ramakrishna and chaintanyadeva) , which is why you instantly related these songs with ramakrishna .

a little more detailed study in any matter before you wish to speak out would help you earn some respects !!! best of luck

good riddance !!!

honestly even i get tired of replying to your boring posts stuffed with scriptural qoutations and arrogant remarks , and i really dont want the same old topics to be discussed here again.

but in case you ever find any suitable answers to my questions feel free to answer them my friend ...:)

Kali worship is about trying to get material benediction.

Kali worship is not spiritual worship.

Kali is a deity of the MATERIAL WORLD, not the spiritual world.

So, worshiping Kali is NOT spiritual.

Kali does not award spiritual gifts.

Kali worship and it's discussion does not belong in the spiritual topics section of the forum.

It belongs in some section of the forum for discussing the attainment of material things.

Spiritual worship involves Narayan, Vishnu or Krishna.

Kali worship is a material situation.

It has nothing to do with spirituality or transcendentalism.

Sonic Yogi,

That is just your thoughts- duly noted - and dismissed as being totally untrue. So people worshipping Kali for moksha are worshipping for "material gain" ? Such intolerance!!

Did you even bother reading the words of the song posted here ? Regurgitation of what you have read somewhere without thought, understanding, or trying to understand what another person says is not wisdom.

Kali worship is about trying to get material benediction.

to be honest there are two sets of people who worship kali . the first group consists of people like various occultist tantriks and astrologers who are anything but spiritual . the second group consists of entirely spiritual people without any material inclinations .........

kali has been the chief deity for tantrik sadhaks throughout ages ...

Kali worship is not spiritual worship.

this is merely your understanding and does not have any scriptural or historical support .

Kali is a deity of the MATERIAL WORLD, not the spiritual world.

you dont have the slightest knowledge about kali and have never read anything about her ......:crazy2:

So, worshiping Kali is NOT spiritual.

Kali does not award spiritual gifts.

Kali worship and it's discussion does not belong in the spiritual topics section of the forum.

It belongs in some section of the forum for discussing the attainment of material things.

well sonic yogi , i feel the same for the veiws of orthodox gaudiya followers like you !!! if you wish feel free to quit the forum !!!!:)

Spiritual worship involves Narayan, Vishnu or Krishna.

no one apart from vaishnavas ever believes that !!!!

im well situated in my belief and you need not educate me about kali or even krishna .

hey sonic , im rather curious to understand the meaning to your qoute --

is ramananda suggesting that krishna is an enjoyer of sense gratification ? i think there's some mistake .... he is the greatest of tyagis ....he left the rasamandal without looking back ..........!!!

A person like Raya Ramananda put to shame the biggest of the 'yogis'.He was purest at heart.He discarded even Bhukti, and even mukti.If such a person who throws away mukti,is engaged in worshipping someone,it is natural to believe that that someone has much more to offer than mukti.

Your question is not an enquiry but just a derogatory remark to return to sonic yogi.

actually i meant that there might have been a misinterpretation of the original text . for example some texts might have been overlooked or omitted that have twisted its meaning .

i know who raya ramananda was and never intended to show any disrespect for such a high parshad of mahaprabhu .....

you dont have the slightest knowledge about kali and have never read anything about her ......:crazy2:

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 5.9.18

bhṛśam amarṣa-roṣāveśa-rabhasa-vilasita-bhru-kuṭi-viṭapa-kuṭila-daḿṣṭrāruṇekṣaṇāṭopāti-bhayānaka-vadanā hantu-kāmevedaḿ mahāṭṭa-hāsam ati-saḿrambheṇa vimuñcantī tata utpatya pāpīyasāḿ duṣṭānāḿ tenaivāsinā vivṛkṇa-śīrṣṇāḿ galāt sravantam asṛg-āsavam atyuṣṇaḿ saha gaṇena nipīyāti-pāna-mada-vihvaloccaistarāḿ sva-pārṣadaiḥ saha jagau nanarta ca vijahāra ca śiraḥ-kanduka-līlayā

SYNONYMS

bhṛśam — very highly; amarṣa — in intolerance of the offenses; roṣa — in anger; āveśa — of her absorption; rabhasa-vilasita — expanded by the force; bhru-kuṭi — of her eyebrows; viṭapa — the branches; kuṭila — curved; daḿṣṭra — teeth; aruṇa-īkṣaṇa — of reddish eyes; āṭopa — by the agitation; ati — very much; bhayānaka — fearful; vadanā — having a face; hantu-kāmā — desirous to destroy; iva — as if; idam — this universe; mahā-aṭṭa-hāsam — a greatly fearful laugh; ati — great; saḿrambheṇa — because of anger; vimuñcantī — releasing; tataḥ — from that altar; utpatya — coming forth; pāpīyasām — of all the sinful; duṣṭānām — great offenders; tena eva asinā — by that same chopper; vivṛkṇa — separated; śīrṣṇām — whose heads; galāt — from the neck; sravantam — oozing out; asṛk-āsavam — the blood, compared to an intoxicating beverage; ati-uṣṇam — very hot; saha — with; gaṇena — her associates; nipīya — drinking; ati-pāna — from drinking so much; mada — by intoxication; vihvalā — overwhelmed; uccaiḥ-tarām — very loudly; sva-pārṣadaiḥ — her own associates; saha — with; jagau — sang; nanarta — danced; ca — also; vijahāra — played; ca — also; śiraḥ-kanduka — using the heads as balls; līlayā — by sports.

TRANSLATION

Intolerant of the offenses committed, the infuriated goddess Kālī flashed her eyes and displayed her fierce, curved teeth. Her reddish eyes glowed, and she displayed her fearsome features. She assumed a frightening body, as if she were prepared to destroy the entire creation. Leaping violently from the altar, she immediately decapitated all the rogues and thieves with the very sword with which they had intended to kill Jaḍa Bharata. She then began to drink the hot blood that flowed from the necks of the beheaded rogues and thieves, as if this blood were liquor. Indeed, she drank this intoxicant with her associates, who were witches and female demons. Becoming intoxicated with this blood, they all began to sing very loudly and dance as though prepared to annihilate the entire universe. At the same time, they began to play with the heads of the rogues and thieves, tossing them about as if they were balls.

PURPORT

It is evident from this verse that the devotees of goddess Kālī are not at all favored by her. It is goddess Kālī's work to kill and punish the demons. Goddess Kālī (Durgā) engages in decapitating many demons, dacoits and other unwanted elements in society. Neglecting Kṛṣṇa consciousness, foolish people try to satisfy the goddess by offering her many abominable things, but ultimately when there is a little discrepancy in this worship, the goddess punishes the worshiper by taking his life. Demoniac people worship goddess Kālī to obtain some material benefit, but they are not excused of the sins performed in the name of worship. To sacrifice a man or animal before the deity is specifically forbidden.

actually i meant that there might have been a misinterpretation of the original text . for example some texts might have been overlooked or omitted that have twisted its meaning .

i know who raya ramananda was and never intended to show any disrespect for such a high parshad of mahaprabhu .....

The insinuation of Raya Ramananda must be taken along with the presumption that Sri Krsna is Divinity. His senses are divine. He is the Divine Enjoyer. His actions are Divine. In logic, a sense enjoyer can be seen as the consumer, objects of the senses are consumables. Krsna is the Ultimate Consumer of the sacrifice of Love, the greatest sense enjoyer.

The words of Raya Ramananda as transcribed by Kaviraj Krsna Das are:

raya kahe, -- krishna haya 'dhira-lalita'

nirantara kama-krida -- yanhara carita

sonicyogi ,

when you describe krishna do you draw in reference from tantric or shaivite texts ? obviously no !!! you choose to refer to vaishnav texts instead , which is very natural thing to do . why ? beacuse the vaishanvs are the one who have understood vishnu in greater details than other sects .

similarly , by the same logic , while describing kali you should refer to shakta texts and tantras ,and not some vaishnav texts like bhagavat . this is beacuse it is the shaktas who have understood the devi in proper details than any other sects .

and obviously , you cannot apply your logic selectively . what you hold true in your case must also hold true in evryone else's case .

Sonic Yogi,

ROFL. :rofl::namaskar: Yours is the funniest post I have seen in a long time. Congratulations on your inadvertant humour. Where you got from the translation to the purport is beyond me. Where you got from "gana" to demon and where you got from Her destruction of evil forces to destruction of Her devotees is beyond me. As a lioness defends her cubs, She defends Her bhakta against all evil. From the Sanskrit, could you explain where you got this ridiculous purport ? Or would you say that if any image frightens you then it is that of evil?

Think back to the vision of Vishnu/Krishna that Arjuna had(Vishvarupa). As kala- time, He/She does destroy everything that is created- so does this make Vishnu/Krishna unfit to be worshipped ?

If we are going to trade quotations, we can do that all year long. But there is no wisdom in that. Hence I cant be bothered.

If you truely are a Vaishnava- She is Vaishnavi. She is vishnu maya as well as She is Shivaduti/Parvati or Kali.

Spend more time in japa, samkirtan- get rid of all rancour and go beyond the words to the spirit. It is all well and good to call ourselves Vaishnava, Shaiva, Shakta- the question to ask ourselves is - do we really deserve to call ourselves any of these ? Do we use these as words of wisdom or merely, in our ego; to set ourselves apart from those who are as divine as we are.

I bow down to kali(Jagadamba),who is repeatedly proclaimed by even the bhaktas to be the universal mother,who slaughtered the demons who offended a bhagavata

and who serves Sri KRsna as her Original form in Vaikuntha(Uma).That Uma is yogamaya,guileless,faultless and Pure.

Tulsidasa states,

"So dasi raghuveer ki,

Samujhe mithya sopy"

Jagadamba is Mayadevi.She is Durga(prison house).She is punishing evryone for they have turned their faces from Sri Bhagavan.

Visnumayeti samsthitah.

She is Vishnumaya.Kali is just a destructive form of prakriti,just as Lord Shivas,in the material universes,have put ash all over themselves,with snakes in their necks and horrendous companions.

But the Lord Sadashiva,Who is the Origin of the innumerable Lord Shivas,is Pure,and a personality of Godhead.He fosters the religion of bhakti by expounding misleading doctrines and is the Supreme Bhakta.Naturally,the Uma by His side,corresponds to His being.