IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
rohini_nakshatra

Never ending phd...please help

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am very depressed. My progress in phd has been very slow, in spite of me being a very good student. I joined in Aug 2005, and now it is going to be 4 years, and no end in sight. I am directionless. My advisor does not give me any guidance. In fact, now he does not want to fund me during summer, and wants me to go on internship. There is also a lot of politics going on, and I am helpless to watch, my future is not in my hands but in the hands of people who don't care about anyone but themselves. For the past some time I am seriously thinking about quitting.

Please show me some way, I am really at the end of the road.

My birth details: 16th Jan 1981, 5:34 pm, Lucknow, India.

Hi,

I am very depressed. My progress in phd has been very slow, in spite of me being a very good student. I joined in Aug 2005, and now it is going to be 4 years, and no end in sight. I am directionless. My advisor does not give me any guidance. In fact, now he does not want to fund me during summer, and wants me to go on internship. There is also a lot of politics going on, and I am helpless to watch, my future is not in my hands but in the hands of people who don't care about anyone but themselves. For the past some time I am seriously thinking about quitting.

Please show me some way, I am really at the end of the road.

My birth details: 16th Jan 1981, 5:34 pm, Lucknow, India.

Namaskar,

Namaskar,

Education lord is venus and is placed in 6th (enemies---). Lord of 5th (thinking---) is mars and is exalted in 7th aspecting lagna. Current period is of Rahu who is in Lagna and may be delaying the progress. Subperiod is of Venus till Jan 2010 and was started from Jan 2007 when your problems started.

You may like to do the following:

1. Worshiping lord Vishnu and Laxmi Mata may be helpful. (without flowers).

2. Be vegetarian if you are already not so.

3. Donation on Saturdays and Tuesdays to needy people may also be very helpful (clothes, umbrella, shoes that are not of leather…).

4. Wear good quality pearl (no holes or scratches) in silver and also may wear a necklace of good pearls.

5. Worship lord Shiva (no flowers).

Hope it helps you to make go time in your favor for your PhD.

-WebYogi-

Respected Webyogi JI

In the chart of the person I saw a reation between the planets, I know although you must have noticed it, But I want to brief the relation here for my own knowledge,

Lord of house 6 (Jupiter) is in yuti with Lord of house 8 (Saturn) in house 3

Jupiter (as a lord of house 6) is aspecting Lord of house 12 (Mercury - in house 7) and Lord of Lagna (Moon- in house 11)

House 12 is aspected by saturn (from house 3) which is lord of house 8

Jupiter, Saturn and mercury are mediocrely strong in shadbala,

What effect can this situation have on the life, lifespan, health of the person?

Please spare a few minutes to quench my thirst

I shall be very thankful

Regards

Atul

Thank you Webyogi ji,

Is there any mantra with which to worship Lord Shiva?

I feel a connection to Lord Krishna and Shiva. Earlier in my life I always felt strongly towards Vishnuji. Recently(during this Venus dasha) I have also turned to meditation.

I have a real (uncultured) pearl pendant but it is in gold, can i wear that?

I am also a vegetarian and always have been.

I am wearing a red coral pendant and a pukhraj ring, is that fine?

Venus being the Lord of education, do you think that this period of Venus can confer the degree, in spite of the hardships? You mentioned donation on Saturdays and Tuesdays. Is that because of Shani transit to Moon? pardon me, since I am also trying to learn astrology, so I am curious to know.

Thank you Webyogi ji,

I feel a connection to Lord Krishna and Shiva. Earlier in my life I always felt strongly towards Vishnuji. Recently(during this Venus dasha) I have also turned to meditation.

Venus being the Lord of education, do you think that this period of Venus can confer the degree, in spite of the hardships? You mentioned donation on Saturdays and Tuesdays. Is that because of Shani transit to Moon? pardon me, since I am also trying to learn astrology, so I am curious to know.

Namaskar,

Ans to your qns:

Very simple, “OM NAMA SHIYAYA”, or any that you feel comfortable and relaxed and it is not burden for you.

Good to know that, continue that makes you happy and relaxed.

It should be in silver, but try for few days otherwise you may have to make it in silver. But make sure it is not get changed while making it as I experienced and heard from many that it happens. Usually, I would like to sit in front of the person while making it on Monday. He can cast the structure and fitting takes few minutes only.

Very good and continue it, you are already ahead of many in spiritual life and help.

It is fine but at the same time you may like to remove both for time being as you would like to know the effect of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pearl</st1:place></st1:City>.

Venus being the Lord of education, do you think that this period of Venus can confer the degree, in spite of the hardships?

In my opinion, it is possible and one has to try always and do not put any negative energy from your side.

You mentioned donation on Saturdays and Tuesdays. Is that because of Shani transit to Moon? pardon me, since I am also trying to learn astrology, so I am curious to know

Sade sati type effect to lagna when specially Rahu is there in Moon’s sign, it is similar to Grahan yoga to some extent in causing delays from time to time.

Sani is also aspecting 5<SUP>th</SUP> house as lord of 8<SUP>th</SUP> (death) and may cause delays and failure in undertakings (education/learning).

Many times I have seen from Yrs of experience that for Sani dev to be happy, worshiping on Tuesdays are very auspicious to achieve goal. You might be remembering the story from Ramayan when Hanuman ji free Sani dev in Ravan’s Palace. Sani dev is then extremely happy with Hanuman Ji and thus any one who worship sani Dev on Tuesdays (for Hanuman Ji), Sani Dev becomes very happy. In astrology, Sani and Mars are considered bitter enemies, but here we are trying to get divine help so the matter is different and results are different.

Hope it helps.

-WebYogi-

Namaskar,

Thanks Webyogiji for your clear explanations and answers. I have taken off the coral for the time being. I am waiting for an auspicious day to wear the pearl. (this monday the moon will be waning and in scorpio.) I didn't take off the pukhraj as I feel it gives me a sense of peace.

This has been one of the toughest periods of my life, because of no clear cut sense of what to do. When you know what to do, where to go, then no matter how difficult it is, one can still bear it. This has been a very confusing period of my life.

Thanks Webyogiji for your clear explanations and answers. I have taken off the coral for the time being. I am waiting for an auspicious day to wear the pearl. (this monday the moon will be waning and in scorpio.) I didn't take off the pukhraj as I feel it gives me a sense of peace.

This has been one of the toughest periods of my life, because of no clear cut sense of what to do. When you know what to do, where to go, then no matter how difficult it is, one can still bear it. This has been a very confusing period of my life.

Namaskar,

i would not suggest to wear pearl when Moon is in scorpio as it becomes neecha. Choose other day.

-WebYogi-

Aum Gurubhyo Namah

namaste

dear rohini_nakshatra,

ninth lord guru is in close quarters with saturn., just minutes away.

saturn pollutes guru. Guru is in marana karaka sthana from lagna

and in bhadaka shetra to the ninth house of 'teacher'.

worship Lord Dakshinamoorthy daily, with utmost faith that he would

help you.

venus bhuthi is on. it is placed in sixth from dasa lord rahu as well as karka

lagna. venus is marana karaka sthana from lagna, the seat of dhi sakthi.

venus is placed in eight from moon placed in taurus, the paka lagna.

paka lagna shows the application of intelligence. hence , you

apply your intelligence properly and level headedly handle the situation.

prayer and calmness of mind is essential

may mother bless all

sasisekaran

Aum Gurubhyo Namah

namaste

dear rohini_nakshatra,

ninth lord guru is in close quarters with saturn., just minutes away.

saturn pollutes guru. Guru is in marana karaka sthana from lagna

and in bhadaka shetra to the ninth house of 'teacher'.

worship Lord Dakshinamoorthy daily, with utmost faith that he would

help you.

venus bhuthi is on. it is placed in sixth from dasa lord rahu as well as karka

lagna. venus is marana karaka sthana from lagna, the seat of dhi sakthi.

venus is placed in eight from moon placed in taurus, the paka lagna.

paka lagna shows the application of intelligence. hence , you

apply your intelligence properly and level headedly handle the situation.

prayer and calmness of mind is essential

may mother bless all

sasisekaran

Thank you Sasisekaran ji,

That is exactly what is missing. I am not able to think clearly and plan about things properly. Emotions like fear or anger are clouding my judgment.

I did not understand what you said about venus being in 8th from Paka Lagna. So I am capable of dealing with things level headedly? (this is my biggest fear right now, that I may not be able to do this).

Do you also look at things from the perspective of transits? I just know basic astrology, and not the application. If I look at transits right now, my moon is under the influence of transiting Saturn, Jupiter and Rahu. Is that the reason why my mind is so restless and I am so confused?

I am doing meditation since 3 weeks, and it has helped me a lot to become more calm and centered. But still can not see things very clearly and decide what to do. I have left things in the hands of God right now.

Is there any scope of any spiritual progress happening during this period?

rohini_nakshatra

Aum Gurubhyo Namah

namaste

dear rohini_nakshatra

transits , like any part of astrology , is a ocean. nadi transits, varga

transits , etc are interesting. The transits that you have mentioned is

seen from the rasi plane. Unfortunately, we take major planets alone in

transits and that too, only on the rasi plane. you have mentioned only saturn

rahu and jupiter. does this mean that you are not under the influence of

other planets ? not so, since it is the cummulative effect that brings in

events and it is one of the main reasons for failure in our predictions. who

else, other than the almighty knows about it ?

you have joined phd in aug 2005. it would be better if you can recollect the date.

any how, jupiter was transiting the 12th to your navamsa lagna from aug 5 to aug 25.

mercury, the antar lord was transiting fourth in navamsa from aug 11 to aug 20. it is

easier to do these in postmortems,but do we (not you ) see these things in practice ?

mars is your atma karaka ( the planet that has travelled the most in any

rasi.. mars is 19 deg in makara. no other planet has moved so much in any

house in your chart ). mars brings in anger. mars is placed in marana karaka

sthatna in your chart. hence it can bring in terrible trouble, especially in relationships

as it is placed in the seventh house. in addition to this you were born in ekadasi thithi.

yours is a fit case to observe ekadasi vrata , the whole part of your life.

did you ever 'irk' your guide ?

more after hearing from you.

may mother bless all

sasisekaran.

Dear Sasisekaran ji,

thanks so much for your inputs. It is difficult to view oneself objectively, but I will try as much as possible to answer your questions honestly. The first date of classes was Aug 24th. I landed in USA on Aug 8th.

To my knowledge, the only time I have displeased my guide was when I went home to India. However, I made up for it by working very hard before and after the trip. The way I see it, my family is my first priority, and going back to India every 1-2 years is something I cannot avoid, since my mother misses me too much. (and I miss them too). But other than that, I have never disrespected him, or gone against his wishes, as I have a deeply ingrained respect for teachers. My mother is a teacher, and this is something that is inherent to my nature. I have always been a very good student, very respectful, and always my teachers favorite. but no matter what I do, i cannot please my guide.

Other than that, the big problem is the communication gap between me and the guide. One issue is the gender. He is much more communicative with the guys in the lab. Another big problem is my inability to do flattery. I am just not able to do it. Neither am I able to praise my own work or put myself in the limelight.

recently, i am learning (from other students who worked under him) that it is his strategy to pay less, and give negative feedback to students so that he can get more work out of them. he also shows as if he is very democratic and will listen to you, but in fact he will make you do only what he wants (all this would have been ok in India, but in USA a different kind of work environment exists, and that is the reason I came here). he also does not let anyone graduate early. The longer they take, the more desperate they become, and the more they are ready to work like a slave for him.

Now this is something I cannot take. I have the utmost respect for my teachers, and for the past 4 years I kept trying to work in spite of all difficulties, just to not disappoint him. But what I cannot take is this selfishness and manipulation. recently, this situation has worsened, and there is so much politics going on, that I see him lying to my face. There is a deep disillusionment that has set in, and I feel a virakti/detachment from everything. I can not see why I should continue with my studies. All I want to do is quit and go back to India.

I am not one to get angry very fast. If I ever do, it is with ppl who are close to me, and my anger hardly lasts 5 minutes. It takes a lot to make me angry, and very little to cool me down. With strangers I don't get angry, unless I feel I need to protect myself/my interests. My anger is the sort where I just burst into tears, unable to say a single thing. I am never able to give smart retorts or insult other people.

Anyways, this is my story. sorry that it got so long. If only I can figure out what lesson is there for me to learn. It is my sincere belief that all of our life's events are supposed to teach us something, and if we miss that lesson, then the cycle of negative events will repeat until u get the message. Once the lesson is learnt, the troubles also gradually disappear.

btw, there is some confusion regarding my navamsa lagna. With different ayanamsa, or even a time difference of 20 seconds with lahiri ayanamsa, it changes. Which one are you getting?

Aum Gurubhyo Namah

namaste

dear sow.rohini_nakshatra,

i am deeply moved. unfourtunately, you have got such a worse guide.

the guide's unwillingness is shown by the 9th lord jupiter sitting in the

third house of marana karaka sthana and afflicted by saturn. it is very

clear now. i am at loss to find words to encourage you. but pl think

of the money and time you have spent. try to stick on and possibly

climb down , and help your guide though your princilples do not allow to

do so.

Mars , essentially is a warrior. Mars , being the atma karaka, does not

want to loose. It need not necessarily be a fight. But sticking on to one's

principle is also equivalent to holding one's FORT and guarding it. Mars

rules logic. The logic does not support climbing down. Your thithi lord is

also mars. Thithi rules relationship. Mars , certainly dominates in your

chart.

Paka lagna is the rasi where the lagna lord is placed. While lagna shows

the intelligence, the paka lagna shows the application of intelligence.

i missed to mention this in my earlier mail.

mars is sitting in the ninth from the paka lagna. ninth is dharma. hence

in application of intelligence mars plays a dominant role, it being the atma

karaka.

Third and sixth from AL shows one's fighting ability. Benefics do not make

the person figth. sadhu's and sanyasis have benefics placed there. Kroora

grahas alone make the person fight. You have exalted sukla paksha moon,

which is sowmya. Hence you dont have a tendency to fight. At the same

time , the atma karaka does not loose its tinge to fight and boldly stay put.

I use lahiri ayanamsa. I noticed the shift in navamsa lagna if the birth time

is reduced by 20 secs. As soon as a chart is drawn, it is my practice to look

at the vargas and their shifts with respect to birthtime. But i would like to

stict to the given time of birth since merc was transiting the fourth from

navamsa lagna when you joined the course. Your travel to US(?) and joining

phd fall within the period of mercury. I am anchoring on simha navamsa lagna

based on the incident. Even other wise, mercury is not a friend of your karka

lagna but a staunch enemy having joined sun, the maraka for karaka lagna

and the node ketu. Mercury placed in seventh in a movable rasi and owner of

twelfth house made you move of the country. For now, i will stick to navamsa lagna.

today is jyseshta nakshatra. moola and poorvashada which are to follow

are your chandrashtama nakshatras. During these days your confidence

will be low and can misdirect you. just let these days pass. you may then

calmly take a decision. just hold on and keep praying.

may mother bless all

sasisekaran.

Dear Sasisekaranji, your words itself are acting like a soothing balm. I feel that you understand my problem. You are very right, many times in my life I feel like a lone warrior fighting to stick by my principles. It is not a physical fight or even a verbal fight, it is a fight in my mind to do what I feel is the right thing. This is something I have faced many times in my life, in many different kind of situations, and I have won almost always. I have always defeated my enemies/rivals in the end just by my dedication and following my principles. This is the first time that the situation is so complicated since it is not a competitor, but my teacher who is involved. It can ruin my entire efforts of four long years. I see it as a test of faith.

Right now my mind if very confused, and I see no way out of this dilemma/ 'dharma sankat' as I like to call it. On the one hand he is my teacher, so I cannot disrespect him. And on the other hand, I cannot do something that I know is only going to ruin my future. (I am being used as a pawn right now).

I have so many planets in marana karaka sthana in my horoscope, and although I don't understand the effects completely, all I know is that the pain they inflict makes me feel like I am dying! I noticed mercury's dasha at the time I came to USA. It was a very bad time of my life. Ironically, ketu's antardasha was a very blissful and spiritually uplifting period. In fact, it was the best phase in my entire life until now. All my past hurts got washed away. Then venus dasha started, and again all the joy got sucked out of my life.

At least I could not have imagined Rahu-Ketu dasha being so good. Moon MD was OK (dont remember much since i was just a child), while Mars MD required a lot of hard work to defeat my rivals (whom I finally defeated in Rahu-Rahu). And these are both exalted planets in my chart. Perhaps their role was character building rather than giving happiness.

Your words that I should wait and let these days pass match my own gut feeling. I am praying very sincerely every waking moment for some solution to this problem.