IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
iamwhatisayiam

Travel cost to India

Rate this topic

Thank you for reading this post.

Im only 20 years old and make about $150 a week with my part time job:crying2:

so about how much would it cost to: 1)travel to india then to vrindavan?

2)about how much would it cost to stay for 2 weeks -a month in vrindavan?

3) how much would it cost to get back?

and im traveling from atlanta georgia.

any ideas or estimates would be great.:)

Living cheapest near ISKCON temple is ram saranam asram 125 rupees( 2.5 USD) a day.

Food 40 rupees( leass than a dollar) a day in ISKCON prasadam hall.

Traveling around vrindavan , taxi will take 800 to 1000 rupess ( 16 to 20 USD) a day.

Ticket to and fro from US, try economic airline.

YS, dev

taxi Delhi airport - Vrindavan - 1600-2000 Rs. Cheaper if you hire it from Vrindavan (call an agency in advance with you flight info or ask someone to do it for you from Vrindavan - I can provide some Phone#-s of taxi agencies). Bus Delhi - Vrindavan is around Rs. 100 ($2), but you'd have to get to the bus stand (about an hour long drive from the airport). Railways are even cheaper, but you can only go to Mathura and then you'd have to take moto-riksa or a bus (another ~ 10 km) to Vrindavan.

Accommodations.. yes Rs. 100-200 a day for more or less acceptable ones (attached bathroom and stuff).

Food.. yes, it's cheap, but I'd set a side at least Rs. 100 for a day, although that's quite a bit for Vrindavan (for food).

So, Rs. 300 ($6) a day should do it for most simple folks. :)

Air fares.. From US I always find it under $1300 round trip. I also have to have at least one connection, as you would traveling from Atlanta.

visnujana's estimate is very accurate. Book a taxi from Vrndavan, not Delhi. They are more efficient in their routes. You'd be looking at around Rs. 4000 both ways taxi. The $1300 is for round-trip airfare. Ensure you get the right amount of time at your destination.

Thanks Narasingh:)

So about $3,000 will do it hopefully........

I'll probably go next year, i'll unfortunately be lonely because i have no one to go with me.See in Atlanta where im from i haven't even met a devotee,and im african american so my family thinks im weird:)

I love devotional songs and kirtans, but never personally been to one,thank God for the internet. I hope one day to learn to be a kirtan singer and sing the great Acharyas songs. especially the ones on the kksongs website

One last thought.. When you go there set your mind to bargaining a lot.. :) if you have any inclination to do so at all. This could be useful in India and could save 50% of your money and often more.. :) In the first time you are almost certain to pay for things up to 10 times more than they cost..

There is very few shops in Vrindavan that have pricing labels displayed. In the rest thousands of small shops they go by how you look. They can tell right way you just got here and they will quote 'the price'..

I hope you will find a lot of fun in that little bargaining show though. :)

After a short while Vrindavan will accept you as 'His own', and even the shop keepers will start giving you the real price right way, just like they do to the locals (or at least much closer to the real price)... It's totally sweet! :)

Before that stick to the general 'guidlines' above and ask other people who know how much the thing you want to buy or a service you need actually cost.

In Vrindavan as everywhere else in India you will most likely be use riksa a lot. Just for your info Rs.20 (50c) would get you most anywhere within Vrindavan. Don't pay more unless you know that you're going some special extra-long route. A lot of times you would only need to pay Rs. 10-15. I am writing this because I know that most of us (myself included) have paid a lot more the first time. I remember my first riksa trip.. I knew it was only Rs. 15, more over I did clearly stated to him right off that I knew what was the price and that's all I was going to pay. Yet, I ended up paying Rs150 - x10 !!! :) They know how to do it. He made a show that he got lost and thus he was driving me all over Vrindavan for more than an hour. At the end I felt really sorry for him having to work so hard for so long, and that's exactly what he was trying to get! :) Anyway, that was a good Vrindavan tour. :) They have thousands of technique like this one... That's a part of their riksa profession and that's a lot like the whole of India operates.. :) In Vrindavan I find it very cute and lovely though. The people are very friendly, especially in Bengal.

The margins and the price for services (labor) are so low in India and especially in such rural places like Vrindavan and Navadvip that they have to reserve on the existing pricing policy. I think that is easily understandable.

That is readily available information online. Search Google for currency conversions, type in $1 to Indian Rupee. You'll get the most up to date conversions. Since you said you may be 1 year in the waiting to get to Vrndavan, you may want to make yourself familiar with this procedure, then try it when you are ready to go.

I would definitely plan to stay for a month. If at all possible travel there with

someone who has already been to India before - that avoids a lot of mistakes.

Also I recommend that you go for the 10 year India Tourist Visa. Of course they will only give you one if you have a U.S. Passport that is valid for ten years or longer. This is what I did and it avoids a lot of hassle over the years. Let me know if you need any details on that.