IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Soma Juice

Bardo Thodol

Rate this topic

As i read diffrent kind of spiritual litterature i have studied the Bardo Thodol or the Tibetan book of the dead a little and i find its concepts very interesting.

It seems to me like it hold great wisdom on the subject of reincarnation and i havent found any text like this in any hindu scripture. But my wisdom is limited so i want to ask:

Is it possible that the enlightened masters of old tibet actually gained deep insight on what happens in those important moments of the transition phase?

It is written specifically for the Buddhist mind and how a Buddhist should view the transition from body to body. Remember Buddhists assume there is no eternal soul and the Tibetan Book of the Dead is wholly from that perspective and is not applicable to others with different views on the issue.

But where do i find anything on what happens when my soul needs to find a new body and what to do in that phase? I know they dont belive in the eternal soul but that dont mean they dont know anything about reincarnation? that is at least what the two religions have in common.

But where do i find anything on what happens when my soul needs to find a new body and what to do in that phase? I know they dont belive in the eternal soul but that dont mean they dont know anything about reincarnation? that is at least what the two religions have in common.

I know what you mean. There are many personal experiences of people that have had NDE's and some that have gone a long way into the process. I get an idea from those although they are all subjective a little different.

A have gotten good glimpses of what to expect from here.

www.near-death.com

I am also curious to know more detail but perhaps it is just something that I'll have to file away until later. We have known this process after every 'death' and forgotten it again after every 'birth'. We will know again soon enough.

For myself I am confident that I will still exist and be quite happy to have this physical body off my back for a while. Meanwhile the closer I can come to becoming God conscious before my next death means less cycles of this nonsense I will have to endure.

Great site but why not use a more detailed an enlightned source to get information on what awaits you when you must face your karma? Just as the great seers of india found out in detail how time works it must be possible to know in detail how you are "judged" because some form of proces must happen, just like process in the womb. But such information is not possible to find in hindu scriptures but it is in this book.

such knowledge could be a good help to the unenlightned mind while in process of finding a new body.

Great site but why not use a more detailed an enlightned source to get information on what awaits you when you must face your karma? Just as the great seers of india found out in detail how time works it must be possible to know in detail how you are "judged" because some form of proces must happen, just like process in the womb. But such information is not possible to find in hindu scriptures but it is in this book.

such knowledge could be a good help to the unenlightned mind while in process of finding a new body.

I think the details are not known. Somehow memories of the actual conception process are thoroughly erased. Even if memories are material stuff, you can’t remember that you were just a lump of cells in the womb. And before that, the process is probably entirely regulated through karma. I don’t think you will have much of a say in the whole matter. So basically, such knowledge would be useless.

The only thing that seems relevant, is your life on Earth after material birth and until you die. I guess that’s why Vedic texts only give explicit instructions for that..

It is not in the Bardo Thodol, this is where we disagree. The Bardo Thodol addresses the experience from a purely Buddhist mental state. As I read it it was clear to me it would only be relevant to a Buddhist and a fairly advanced Buddhist by today's standard at that.

In that way it is not objectivly explaining what the basic processes are that everyone goes through in that space between death and birth.

The real aim of Bardo Thodol is to obtain liberation from reincarnation through a sound vibration. Bardo Thodol means: "Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State".

So just chant "Hare Krishna" when you die. :)

So just chant "Hare Krishna" when you die. :)

We need to really dive deep into the vibration of the Holy Name before the death comes for us, so that in this critical moment of death and separation from the body we may be able to focus on Krsna's Names. That is our process. :)