IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
melvin

Is your Guru God?

Rate this topic

God is an experience to me. Love is an experience too.

A guru is one who clears the mental cobwebs that clutter your path to experience God and Love.

We may project our experience of God onto a Guru, perhaps it is because we need an identification to experience any love...

Then again, an individual experience is a perception and that perception is always the truth to that individual.

It`s said that experience is the best teacher. So, do I have to experience love first before saying that it`s true? What about hate the very opposite of love? If we obey the Guru who clears the mental cobwebs that clutter our path to God we will eventually learn to hate what we love.

It`s said that experience is the best teacher. So, do I have to experience love first before saying that it`s true? What about hate the very opposite of love? If we obey the Guru who clears the mental cobwebs that clutter our path to God we will eventually learn to hate what we love.

Your experience of love will be yours alone, it cannot be understood by me. Hate is an reaction born out of fear it is not an emotion opposite to Love.

A dog bites, he doesn't hate. The dog perceives fear and reacts.

A human being physically harms another, if we delve deep into his psyche it will be the same; a perception of fear which leads to a violent reaction.

Love Joy Anger and Fear are our primary emotions as beings.

As Human beings we have a multitude of reactions which we perceive through the primary emotions; A Guru, an experience, meditative contemplation and seeking lead to an understanding of the deeper meanings of these basic emotions. We learn to understand our reactions and our true emotions.

What we learn is eventually for us and by us. Yes, experiential learning is the best teacher.

Your experience of love will be yours alone, it cannot be understood by me. Hate is an reaction born out of fear it is not an emotion opposite to Love.

A dog bites, he doesn't hate. The dog perceives fear and reacts.

A human being physically harms another, if we delve deep into his psyche it will be the same; a perception of fear which leads to a violent reaction.

Love Joy Anger and Fear are our primary emotions as beings.

As Human beings we have a multitude of reactions which we perceive through the primary emotions; A Guru, an experience, meditative contemplation and seeking lead to an understanding of the deeper meanings of these basic emotions. We learn to understand our reactions and our true emotions.

What we learn is eventually for us and by us. Yes, experiential learning is the best teacher.

What about reproductive learning? A Guru should know how to teach his student about reproduction. He should instruct his pupil why at the age of puberty the body changes from a more feminine or boyish one. The student will never be able to understand well why these basic emotions like LOve, Joy, Anger and Fear manifest in a rather complex way unlike in childhood. A Guru should know how to deliver and treat a sick baby. A Guru can`t just sit there when his pregnant student is about to give birth to a baby when the nearest help is still miles and miles away. If a midwife could deliver one then why can`t he? When Mary delivered Jesus was there a midwife who watched Mary in pain while she labored? If there was none to help deliver Mary`s baby then who did? You see, I have yet to hear a Guru do a radical one.

What about reproductive learning? A Guru should know how to teach his student about reproduction. He should instruct his pupil why at the age of puberty the body changes from a more feminine or boyish one. The student will never be able to understand well why these basic emotions like LOve, Joy, Anger and Fear manifest in a rather complex way unlike in childhood. A Guru should know how to deliver and treat a sick baby. A Guru can`t just sit there when his pregnant student is about to give birth to a baby when the nearest help is still miles and miles away. If a midwife could deliver one then why can`t he? When Mary delivered Jesus was there a midwife who watched Mary in pain while she labored? If there was none to help deliver Mary`s baby then who did? You see, I have yet to hear a Guru do a radical one.
S.B. 7.5.31

na te viduḥ svārtha-gatiḿ hi viṣṇuḿ

durāśayā ye bahir-artha-māninaḥ

andhā yathāndhair upanīyamānās

te 'pīśa-tantryām uru-dāmni baddhāḥ

Persons who are strongly entrapped by the consciousness of enjoying material life, and who have therefore accepted as their leader or guru a similar blind man attached to external sense objects, cannot understand that the goal of life is to return home, back to Godhead, and engage in the service of Lord Viṣṇu. As blind men guided by another blind man miss the right path and fall into a ditch, materially attached men led by another materially attached man are bound by the ropes of fruitive labor, which are made of very strong cords, and they continue again and again in materialistic life, suffering the threefold miseries.

A governmental officer is just a man. However, he's got the authority and power to do something special. Thus he is naturally treated with due respect as if he was a part of the government (not just like any human). However, it would be a big mistake to think that he is the government.

In the same way Guru also is delegated and empowered to perform some special functions. He will be naturally treated with special attitude by ones who have some knowledge and understanding of what he is actually doing. But if a 'guru' points out too often that he is God, chances are he is not a guru, has not factually been commissioned by God to perform any special functions.

I have yet to hear a Guru do a radical one.

Yes, Guru solves all the problems of material existence at once. - He delivers his disciple from the material world. It's rather not an easy task though. Why should he bother with any other task, if he has applied himself solely to this goal, which serves anything and everything else?..

And again, Guru is not really independent, he is the 'governmental officer' (see my previous post). So, any attempt to judge his actions seem to me inappropriate. Guru is a manifestation of God's mercy, is the medium through which God gives us mercy. Are we to judge this? Off course, it's a matter of personal realization. I can appreciate something and ascertain it's very existence when I get the thing. But even philosophically... I think, it all make sense.

Guest Melvin1

Yes, Guru solves all the problems of material existence at once. - He delivers his disciple from the material world. It's rather not an easy task though. Why should he bother with any other task, if he has applied himself solely to this goal, which serves anything and everything else?..

And again, Guru is not really independent, he is the 'governmental officer' (see my previous post). So, any attempt to judge his actions seem to me inappropriate. Guru is a manifestation of God's mercy, is the medium through which God gives us mercy. Are we to judge this? Off course, it's a matter of personal realization. I can appreciate something and ascertain it's very existence when I get the thing. But even philosophically... I think, it all make sense.

Srila Prabhupada in one of his purports said if one can never understand the real nature of the Absolute Truth(from his Guru), it is far better to follow in the footsteps of great souls (mahajanas). These great souls 12 in number are as follows: (1) Brahma, (2) Lord Siva, (3) Narada, (4) Vaisvata Manu,(5) Kapila, (6) the Kumara brothers, (7) Prahlada, (8) Bhisma, (9) Janaka, (10) Bali Maharaj, (11) Sukadeva Goswami and (Yamaraja). So, take your pick.

Srila Narayana Maharaja once told a story.. Krishna was thinking, 'I have already sent to that material world all the best things such as My Dhama, My holy name, My Deity form, My prasadam, etc. But yet most of the jivas don't seem to be able to take full advantage of my gifts. Those things seem to be as tangible as the moon bin - you can appreciate its beauty somewhat but you can not grasp it and completely study it and experience it...

So, Krishna was thinking further, 'Alright, I will do one more thing, I will send there a very special thing now. It will have to be tangible, so people can have a direct contact with it. I will send there my special transcendental representative, Guru. People will be able to speak to him, touch his body, develop love for him and experience his genuine love to them, etc. In this way they will be able to develop a deep relationship with a very special property of my beautiful transcendental world. Then having set a connection with Me in this way, they will be able to follow Me in the form of my special dear devotee and representative, the guru... and thus they will soon be able to come to Me.

Guest Melvin1

My Guru is an Icon, the Santo Nino of Cebu.

The original name of my Guru Icon is Bathala. A historian researched for the meaning of the name Bathala. It turned out that the name Bathala actually is made up of two words, Bath( Child) and Ala(God). Before Magellan in 1521 came and gifted Ara Amihan the Queen of Cebu the image of the Sto. Nino of Prague, the natives in Cebu already worshiped the same One.The original is colored black and the one Magellan gave to the Queen is white. The Icon you see on my profile is the White(Sto. Nino). The Black Icon(Bathala) had been kept inside the Church`s convent since time immemorial. We who come from Cebu( Most dont know) worship 2 Icons, the Sto. Nino of Cebu and Bathala.

No MY guru isn't God. He is His servant and my teacher. If he is fully surrendered to Krishna and gets me to surrender more than I am then he is a great teacher and guide. He is as good as God because he can deliver Him to you, or you to Him, depending on how we look at it?

I don't really know anymore, it probably is in the sastras somewhere.

Guest Melvin1

No MY guru isn't God. He is His servant and my teacher. If he is fully surrendered to Krishna and gets me to surrender more than I am then he is a great teacher and guide. He is as good as God because he can deliver Him to you, or you to Him, depending on how we look at it?

I don't really know anymore, it probably is in the sastras somewhere.

A priest or brahmana could be your Guru which in the sastras is as good as God himself if he can deliver to you God and be liberated from the illusions we perceive in this material world. As for me, being a Catholic the church says that sins can`t be forgiven If I don`t confess them to a priest, a representative of God. However, I no longer confess my sins to a priest. I don`t even need to confess my sins because my Guru God knows that I have sinned. Unless I don`t repent I leave this to my Guru God alone to judge me when I depart from this material world. Hence, I quote from Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu himself( Siksastaka Verse 8), "I know no one but Krsna as my Lord, and He shall remain so even if He handles me roughly by His embrace or makes me brokenhearted by not being present before me. He is completely free to do anything and everything, for He is always my worshippable Lord unconditionally"