IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

The Holy Name is completely independent

Rate this topic

The Holy Name is completely independent both in it's reception and transferrence.

Letter to: Andrea Temple

Los Angeles

6 March, 1968 68-03-06

Andrea Temple

c/o General Delivery

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Bahamas

My Dear Andrea Temple,

Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter post-dated March 4, 1968, and I thank you very much for it. Your work in spreading Krishna Consciousness there is very much pleasing to me, and I am always glad to hear more from you. As I said in my last letter to you, I shall come there whenever you like; simply you must send me plane tickets, and I shall come. If you could arrange for speaking engagements that is very nice. I am leaving this place for San Francisco on the 8th of March, and as you like, I can fly from S.F. to Bahama Islands sometimes in March or April; we can make further arrangements as to the exact day after I return to S.F. You may show the woman in charge of the club our recent article in Life magazine if you like, which was published on Feb. 9, 1968, page 56.

Yes, whoever you tell the chant to, it is effective. You have heard it from me and my disciples, similarly I have heard it from my Guru Maharaja, and so on, and on. Because you have heard it from a pure devotee of the Lord, therefore it is transmitted from you to another. Just as an aerial message, is transmitted from one place to another, similarly, this Guru parampara system is working. My disciples are my agents, my representatives, so by hearing it from them, you are receiving it from me. And because you are a sincere soul, those who are hearing the Mantra from you are receiving it in disciplic succession, from Lord Caitanya and from Lord Krishna.

Yes, I can perform spiritual weddings for my initiated disciples. I have gotten so many young devotees married, and they are executing Krishna Consciousness nicely. <jd:"lt-education-parents responsibility="" 04="">That is the real purpose of married life; to live together peacefully, execute Krishna Consciousness, bring up children in Krishna Consciousness, so they will not again have to enter into this world of birth and death.

</jd:"lt-education-parents>

Govinda dasi has read me your letter and your place sounds very nice. It is all right that you do not have a storefront at present time; simply we need some space, and your house will do very nicely. Before I come there, you should please make large advertising campaign so that many people may come to our Kirtana. Perhaps you could order some fairly large quantity literature and propaganda from New York, and distribute in your city. Also, maybe the radio or T.V. stations may become interested if you approach them with our various propaganda, news clippings, and so forth. You can write to Brahmananda in this connection, and he can give you instructions how to do it. We must try to catch the attention of as many people as possible; so that some may come and hear us, and be benefited. If it is possible, perhaps you can begin this propaganda work as soon as possible, and have regular scheduled Kirtana, so that people may start coming even before my arrival. That would be very nice.

Please continue your very good missionary work, and keeping us informed. I hope you are well.

Your ever well-wisher,

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

P.S. We have received a large consignment of books (Srimad-Bhagavatam) and musical instruments for Kirtana. You can negotiate with Brahmananda at N.Y.

ACB

My next address

c/o ISKCON Radha Krishna Temple

518 Frederick St. San Francisco, Calif. 94117

Yes, whoever you tell the chant to, it is effective. You have heard it from me and my disciples, similarly I have heard it from my Guru Maharaja, and so on, and on. Because you have heard it from a pure devotee of the Lord, therefore it is transmitted from you to another. Just as an aerial message, is transmitted from one place to another, similarly, this Guru parampara system is working. My disciples are my agents, my representatives, so by hearing it from them, you are receiving it from me. And because you are a sincere soul, those who are hearing the Mantra from you are receiving it in disciplic succession, from Lord Caitanya and from Lord Krishna.

This confirms my intuition that Spiritually, hearing from a pure neophyte is a real initiation.

Of course this statment also confirms the requirement of a sincere soul to pass on the mantra in disciplic succession.

As soon as the neophyte becomes insincere by rejecting orders of their Spiritual Master, they lose their link to the PURE transcendental sound current and their chanting becomes, to a greater or lesser degree, offensive. Then anyone who hears it from them only hears the mantra colored by whatever degree of offense is present.

TLC ch. 18 intro...

A bona fide spiritual master chants the holy names — Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare — and the transcendental sound vibration enters into the ear of the disciple, and if a disciple follows in the footsteps of his spiritual master and chants the holy name with similar respect, he actually comes to worship the transcendental name. When the transcendental name is worshiped by the devotee, the name Himself spreads His glories within the heart of a devotee. When a devotee is perfectly qualified in chanting the transcendental vibration of the holy name, he is quite fit to become a spiritual master and to deliver all the people of the world. The chanting of the holy name is so powerful that it gradually establishes its supremacy above everything in the world. The devotee who chants it becomes transcendentally situated in ecstasy and sometimes laughs, cries and dances in his ecstasy. Sometimes the unintelligent put hindrances in the path of chanting this mahā-mantra, but one who is situated on the platform of love of Godhead chants the holy name loudly for all concerned. As a result, everyone becomes initiated in the chanting of the holy names — Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare. By chanting and hearing the holy names of Kṛṣṇa, a person can remember the forms and qualities of Kṛṣṇa.

So, I sat at the feet of Srila Prabhupada and heard him chant Hare Krishna.

My official GBC intiation in ISKCON means little compared to the hearing of the mantra from the lips of Srila Prabhupada.

Śrī Caitanya Caritāmṛta Antya 1.32

āra dina keha tāra dekhā nā pāilā

siddha-deha pāñā kukkura vaikuṇṭhete gelā

SYNONYMS

āra dina — the next day; keha — all of them; tāra — of the dog; dekhā nā pāilā — did not get sight; siddha-deha pāñā — obtaining a spiritual body; kukkura — the dog; vaikuṇṭhete gelā — went to the spiritual kingdom, Vaikuṇṭha.

TRANSLATION

The next day, no one saw that dog, for it had obtained its spiritual body and departed for Vaikuṇṭha, the spiritual kingdom.

PURPORT

This is the result of sādhu-sańga — consequent association with Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu and promotion back home, back to Godhead. This result is possible even for a dog, by the mercy of the Vaiṣṇava. Therefore, everyone in the human form of life should be induced to associate with devotees. By rendering a little service, even by eating prasādam, what to speak of chanting and dancing, everyone can be promoted to Vaikuṇṭhaloka. It is therefore requested that all our devotees in the ISKCON community become pure Vaiṣṇavas, so that by their mercy all the people of the world will be transferred to Vaikuṇṭhaloka, even without their knowledge. Everyone should be given a chance to take prasādam and thus be induced to chant the holy names Hare Kṛṣṇa and also dance in ecstasy. By these three processes, although performed without knowledge or education, even an animal went back to Godhead.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 3.22.34 purport.....clip

At the present moment, modern civilization is too much attached to the material way of life, or sense gratification. Therefore, the Kṛṣṇa consciousness movement can give the people in general the best opportunity to utilize their human life in the midst of material enjoyment. Kṛṣṇa consciousness does not stop them in their propensity for material enjoyment, but simply regulates their habits in the life of sense enjoyment. In spite of their enjoying the material advantages, they can be liberated in this very life by practicing Kṛṣṇa consciousness by the simple method of chanting the holy names of the Lord — Hare Kṛṣṇa, Hare Kṛṣṇa, Kṛṣṇa Kṛṣṇa, Hare Hare/ Hare Rāma, Hare Rāma, Rāma Rāma, Hare Hare.