IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sonic Yogi

How big is the Universe?

Rate this topic

In this purport Srila Prabhupada gives a figure of the size of the universe that is much larger than the 4 billion square miles mentioned in the 5th canto.

In the 5th canto it says the universe is 2 billion square miles x 2 or 4 billion square miles, but in this purport he says the universe is 2 billion TIMES 2 billion square miles which is a number bigger than I can calculate. It also describes the Moon that is further from Earth than the Sun as a moon that is in the topmost strata of the universe which therefore cannot be the moon of the Earth.

My guess is that this figure of the size of the universe as 2 billion X 2 billion is more likely the correct figure than the 2 billion X 2 figure we hear of.

SB 2.5. 40-41:

Modern enterprisers (the astronauts who travel in space) may take information from Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam that in space there are fourteen divisions of planetary systems. The situation is calculated from the earthly planetary system, which is called Bhūrloka. Above Bhūrloka is Bhuvarloka, and the topmost planetary system is called Satyaloka. These are the upper seven lokas, or planetary systems. And similarly, there are seven lower planetary systems, known as Atala, Vitala, Sutala, Talātala, Mahātala, Rasātala and Pātāla lokas. All these planetary systems are scattered over the complete universe, which occupies an area of two billion times two billion square miles. The modern astronauts can travel only a few thousand miles away from the earth, and therefore their attempt to travel in the sky is something like child's play on the shore of an expansive ocean. The moon is situated in the third status of the upper planetary system, and in the Fifth Canto of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam we shall be able to know the distant situation of the various planets scattered over the vast material sky.

In this purport Srila Prabhupada gives a figure of the size of the universe that is much larger than the 4 billion square miles mentioned in the 5th canto.

In the 5th canto it says the universe is 2 billion square miles x 2 or 4 billion square miles, but in this purport he says the universe is 2 billion TIMES 2 billion square miles which is a number bigger than I can calculate. It also describes the Moon that is further from Earth than the Sun as a moon that is in the topmost strata of the universe which therefore cannot be the moon of the Earth.

My guess is that this figure of the size of the universe as 2 billion X 2 billion is more likely the correct figure than the 2 billion X 2 figure we hear of.

SB 2.5. 40-41:

Or is this purport in error and the 5th canto figure correct?

The key to understand the 'size' of the Universe is the correct understanding of space, akhasa or ether. Vedic space is non linear and multi-dimensional - you can travel with the speed of mind for years and you will still not reach the edge of the Universe, and each world (loka) has it's own space which surrounds it completely, preventing access to other worlds.

All measurements of the Universe given in the Puranas are meant to help us imagine the proportions and location of the various worlds within the Universe.

While staying in a temple recently, I came upon an old Back to Godhead issue which featured a 6 page spread based on some 3d modeling Saduputa Das created to illustrate the mechanics of the universe, all based on the 5th canto. It was explained in logical scientific detail.

It showed concentric rings, the furthest being a mountain range upon which the wheel of the chariot which carried the sun rode upon. Each ocean/mountain combo was rendered nicely. It showed how the moon was positioned on a plane compared to the earth and sun whereby at times it was further above the earth than the sun, and everything.

It was masterful.

I have never heard anyone reference it when defending the Vedic version of the mechanics of the universe.

On my list of things to do is to obtain a copy of that Back to Godhead A.S.A.P.

While staying in a temple recently, I came upon an old Back to Godhead issue which featured a 6 page spread based on some 3d modeling Saduputa Das created to illustrate the mechanics of the universe, all based on the 5th canto. It was explained in logical scientific detail.

It showed concentric rings, the furthest being a mountain range upon which the wheel of the chariot which carried the sun rode upon. Each ocean/mountain combo was rendered nicely. It showed how the moon was positioned on a plane compared to the earth and sun whereby at times it was further above the earth than the sun, and everything.

It was masterful.

I have never heard anyone reference it when defending the Vedic version of the mechanics of the universe.

On my list of things to do is to obtain a copy of that Back to Godhead A.S.A.P.

http://www.iskcondesiretree.info/

They claim to have every BtG magazine ever published. Mind telling us which one it was?