IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
pandora

lucid dreaming

Rate this topic

im sure all of u have heard of this before, but what the explainaton for this, ive asked a few pundits but no one know what im talking about, idont know mcuh about this subject myself i only learned of the name like 5 mins ago, i was just wondering if there is any explination to this in hinduisim..................................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

Not sure about lucid dreaming in vedic culture. In some cultures though lucid dreams were very important socially.

Members of the communities would discuss their dreams collectively, to make decisions, when to plant crops, all sorts of things. The dream was highly esteemed and created a social unity and harmony. These subtle states were a natural part of societies function.

The shaman's and their tribes used plants to invoke lucid dreaming, here is one example:

<table class="infobox biota" style="padding: 2.5px; text-align: center; width: 200px;"><tbody><tr style="text-align: center;"></tr><tr style="text-align: center;"><td>

</td> </tr> <tr style="text-align: center;"> </tr> <tr style="text-align: center;"> <td> <table style="margin: 0pt auto; background: transparent none repeat scroll 0% 0%; text-align: left; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" cellpadding="2"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr style="background: rgb(144, 238, 144) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> </tr> <tr style="text-align: center;"> <td>Calea zacatechichi

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Calea zacatechichi, also known as Dream Herb, Cheech, and Bitter Grass, is a plant used by the indigenous Chontal of the Mexican state of Oaxaca for oneiromancy (a form of divination based on dreams.) The plant naturally occurs from southern Mexico to northern Costa Rica. It has been scientifically demonstrated that extracts of this plant increase reaction times and the frequency and/or recollection of dreams<sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> versus placebo and diazepam. It is also employed by the Chontal people as a medicinal herb against gastrointestinal disorders, and is used as an appetizer, cathartic anti-dysentery remedy, and as a fever-reducing agent.

Wussow et al. (1985) indicates that the correct Latin name is Calea ternifolia Kunth, of which two varieties are recognized.

<table id="toc" class="toc" summary="Contents"> <tbody><tr> <td>

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Use

The Chontal medicine men, who assert that this plant is capable of "clarifying the senses", call it thle-pela-kano, meaning "leaf of God". Whenever they desire to know the cause of an illness or the location of a distant or lost person, dry leaves of the plant are smoked, drunk in infusions, and put under the pillow before going to sleep. Reportedly, the answer to the question comes in a dream.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[2]</sup>

Preparation & dosage

Crushed dried leaves are steeped in hot water, and the resulting tea is drunk slowly, after which the user lies down in a quiet place and smokes a cigarette of the dried leaves of the same plant. The human dose for divinatory purposes reported by the Chontal people is a handful of the dried plant. The user knows that he or she has taken a large enough dose when a sense of tranquility and drowsiness is experienced and when he or she hears the beats of his or her own heart and pulse. Calea is a rather bitter herb. Many users prefer to smoke it rather than drinking the tea. Alternatively alcoholic tintures can be as effective as Tea while being much less bitter and so more palatable.

Our existence in the mahat-tattva IS a lucid dream experienced by ones baddha-jiva DREAMING sub-consciousness

SRILA PRABHUPADA - "This material creation is the spirit soul's dream, all existence in this world is the dream of Mahā-Viṣṇu" .4.29.83.

...In South African traditional healing, river and forest rituals constitute essential components for the training process of individual diviner-healers (igqirha -sing/amagqirha- pl ). There is a variety of rituals performed during the training process which are usually prompted through dream messages that the novice receives.

Ubulawu, a concoction of plants soaked in cold water that is beaten into a foam, is consumed by the initiate during these rituals.

These rituals provide a neutral space whereby moral and social commentaries can be made. Inherent in this cognitive framework is an awareness of the integral balance between the social, natural and spiritual worlds...

im sure all of u have heard of this before, but what the explainaton for this, ive asked a few pundits but no one know what im talking about, idont know mcuh about this subject myself i only learned of the name like 5 mins ago, i was just wondering if there is any explination to this in hinduisim..................................http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dreaming

pandora,

Also not sure of any hindu connection but it is a naturally phenomena to all humans. Many will have this experience and think little of it. Others will start study groups to learn more such as the one at Standford University lead by Stephen Langier (sp?)

We can make use of one of the wonders of the world , Google, and we will find lots of good info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lucid+dreaming&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

pandora,

Also not sure of any hindu connection but it is a naturally phenomena to all humans. Many will have this experience and think little of it. Others will start study groups to learn more such as the one at Standford University lead by Stephen Langier (sp?)

We can make use of one of the wonders of the world , Google, and we will find lots of good info.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lucid+dreaming&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

see the weird thing about it is that other religion/ cultures have a understanding about lucid dreaming, but i find it funny that hinduisim has nothing on it. as we all know that hinduisim is a deeply spirtual religion, i just find it weird that there is no taxt explaining this at all. i wonder if it is cause in vedic astrology they put no stock in lucid dreaming they say that dreaming has no relivence and thats is just part of your imagination.

see the weird thing about it is that other religion/ cultures have a understanding about lucid dreaming, but i find it funny that hinduisim has nothing on it. as we all know that hinduisim is a deeply spirtual religion, i just find it weird that there is no taxt explaining this at all. i wonder if it is cause in vedic astrology they put no stock in lucid dreaming they say that dreaming has no relivence and thats is just part of your imagination.

Maybe so. I use lucid dreaming as an analogy to a self-realized soul walking amongst us.

Maybe so. I use lucid dreaming as an analogy to a self-realized soul walking amongst us.
intresting theory, i could see were ur coming from, but m sure someone at some point of time must have realised and would have tried to channel it to achive a higher level of devotion.

intresting theory, i could see were ur coming from, but m sure someone at some point of time must have realised and would have tried to channel it to achive a higher level of devotion.

Well maybe but such experiences don't really have much to do with devotion. They are more in the metaphysical world than the spiritual. For instance once one is lucid in a dream, fom that point it is easy to move his consciousness into his astral body and enter the astral plane.

A lucid dream is still a dream and all the other figures there are creations of your own mind.

Astral projection, as we know, means we enter a plane where the other inhabitants are all "real" in the sense that the astral forms we see are all inhabited by other conscious souls.

So on the ladder of importance it is below astral projection which itself is not important to devotional life.

Now it could be if a devotee while in his astral body uses it to teach Krishna consciousness to the residents he meets there.

Krishna has His devotee missionaries everywhere. No reason to think there are no astral missions or Avatars sent to engage the low vibrating ghosts in God consciousness. Then there would be tangible devotional work going on.

Well maybe but such experiences don't really have much to do with devotion. They are more in the metaphysical world than the spiritual. For instance once one is lucid in a dream, fom that point it is easy to move his conscious into his astral body and enter the astral plane.

A lucid dream is still a dream and all the other figures there are creations of your own mind.

Astral projection, as we know, means we enter a plane where the other inhabitants are all "real" in the sense that the astral forms we see are all inhabited by other conscious souls.

So on the ladder of importance it is below astral projection which itself is not important to devotional life.

Now it could be if a devotee while in his astral body uses it to teach Krishna consciousness to the residents he meets there.

Krishna has His devotee missionaries everywhere. No reason to think there are no astral missions or Avatars sent to engage the low vibrating ghosts in God consciousness. Then there would be tangible devotional work going on.

i dont know. but i seem to think that i might help in spiritual development, could u not visit somewhere which is holly, or somthin like that. yes i agree that obejts in ur dreams are part of ur mind but if u think of say shree krishna then it migh be benificial. also i recall a story in the mahabharata where shri krishna , and lord balaram guru taught then and tokk them to a holly temple in the form of an astral body.or somthin like that.......i think this might have been a kind of form of llucid dreaming..i think.

i dont know. but i seem to think that i might help in spiritual development, could u not visit somewhere which is holly, or somthin like that. yes i agree that obejts in ur dreams are part of ur mind but if u think of say shree krishna then it migh be benificial. also i recall a story in the mahabharata where shri krishna , and lord balaram guru taught then and tokk them to a holly temple in the form of an astral body.or somthin like that.......i think this might have been a kind of form of llucid dreaming..i think.

Yes those are good points pandora. I agree visiting a holy place in your astral form would be spiritual.Krishna also may appear in a dream as He does in his pictures on this plane. If it is connected to God consciousness the form one is in does not matter.

Picture yourself crossing the viraja river,

With desire trees and transcendental skies.

Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,

A girl in a sari with sweet lotus eyes.

Kadamba flowers of yellow and green,

Towering over your head.

Look for the girl with large lotus eyes,

And she's gone.

{CHORUS}

Lucid in the sky with dreaming,

Ah... Ah...:eek: