IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
chandu_69

Non-violence cannot tackle terrorism: Dalai Lama

Rate this topic

New Delhi: The Dalai Lama, a lifelong champion of non-violence candidly stated that terrorism cannot be tackled by applying the principle of ahimsa because the minds of terrorists are closed. "It is difficult to deal with terrorism through non-violence," the Tibetan spiritual leader said delivering the Madhavrao Scindia Memorial Lecture here.

He termed terrorism as the worst kind of violence which is not carried by a few mad people but by those who are very brilliant and educated.

"They (terrorists) are very brilliant and educated...but a strong ill feeling is bred in them . Their minds are closed," the Dalai Lama said.

He said the only way to tackle terrorism is through prevention.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/nonviolence-cannot-tackle-terrorism-dalai-l.../411980/

But Dalai lama didnt say who bred the "strong ill feeling .

This reminds me of one scene in Gandhi the movie.

One British reporter were interviewing Gandhi (played incredibly well by Sir Ben Kingsley) and she asked him of what his opinion about Adolf Hitler and whether his Ahimsa teaching could be used against someone like Adolf Hitler.

Gandhi replied - "Maybe".

Sometimes, Violence must be dealt with Violence. Especially when the ones who promote this sort of violence are those who have closed their minds and unwilling to discuss their difference and find a common ground.

Time will come when Hindus too much choose to fight or be annihilated. When time comes, I hope to see Hindus up and ready. :)

Gandhiji said, "I'm in a war but this time the weapon is different".

The thing about choosing the weapon is not the main thing in a war.. but the reason for war should not be tainted by any personal selfish motive.

Everyone has the right, actually the duty, to defend themselves and others from the onslaught of terrorists, who are simply modern-day Kali yuga demons. They are not going to go away, so better prepare now for the coming battles. Grow some of your own food, learn to handle a firearm, etc.

jeffster/AMd

Gandhiji said, "I'm in a war but this time the weapon is different".

The thing about choosing the weapon is not the main thing in a war.. but the reason for war should not be tainted by any personal selfish motive.

Personal and selfish motives? Alright ... allow me to summarize something for you.

Those terrorists ... they kill innocent people - Men, women AND Children in attempt to die and be rewarded 72 virgins (or prostitutes however you look at them) in heaven. How selfish do they need to get before Hindus fight back?

One of the reasons why things like Mumbai terror attack and 9-11 attack occur is because good people do not get up and fight back. All this talk about peace is sickening. YOU CANNOT TALK SENSE WITH SENSELESS PEOPLE.

Everyone has the right, actually the duty, to defend themselves and others from the onslaught of terrorists, who are simply modern-day Kali yuga demons. They are not going to go away, so better prepare now for the coming battles. Grow some of your own food, learn to handle a firearm, etc.

jeffster/AMd

For now, stick together. Find who are your friends are and stick together. Comfort in numbers and strength in numbers.

Learning martial arts as means of self-defence is a good move also. Not everyone could accord weapons or in the future, weapons could not be an options.

Also, learn a lot about Science and Technology. Something in my heart tells me that Science and technology will play a vital role as well.

Antivirus, you seem to be suggesting that the terrorists are just poor, mistreated individuals. You also seem to be suggesting appeasement as a manner of dealing with the issue. Appeasement was tried by Neville Chamberlain in 1938 in dealing with Hitler. We know the result. Appeasement was also offered to the weasel, Yasser Arafat, in 1992 or 1993 at the Camp David meetings. Nothing could satisfy Yasser Arafat. And frankly, nothing can satisfy these people because they are demons. My definition of a demon is that a demon, in order to further their own aims, do not care how much pain and suffering they inflict on others. This definition fits Islamic extremists, who constitute 97 % of terrorists, perfectly. By their very nature, that of demons, terrorists cannot be appeased. They want nothing less than total world control through the establishment of a world-wide Islamic caliphate. Do you think that you would be able to practice a sanatana-dharma religion under such rule ? Look what happened in Afghanistan. Centuries ago, many Hindu families lived there. They were all killed by these demons. They were chased down to the very last person and exterminated. They have a mountain range there called the "Hindu Kush." Have you heard of it ? Sounds romantic, doesn't it ? But "Kush" in their language is from "kushtar," meaning to kill. It is the place where the Hindus were killed. Then it is no wonder, is it, that Afghanistan was bombed to smithereens by the Americans in 2001. This was a reaction to their mass killing of brahmana families. Countries have karma just as individuals do.

I agree with Sephiroth that we should take up martial arts. We must also stop sense gratification and build our punya so that we can withstand the onslaught of these demons. We should also stock rice, beans and water to last at least 6-8 weeks. And don't forget to offer it and share with others who may need it.

Furthermore, these demons can be killed on the spot without incurring sin. If you see a demon in your city killing innocent civilians, please attempt to kill him immediately. It is beneficial to do so because it will prevent the deaths of innocents. It is also for the benefit of the souls of the demons to be sent to the netherworlds or into the bodies of animals for the rectification of their character, since by their activities they are no better than a pack of rabid wolves. They are so vile that they will even kill others of their own religion over even a slight ontological difference. They are uncompassionate, unkind, untruthful, vicious; frankly their characteristics are the opposite of those 26 characteristics of a Vaishnava devotee. And if we don't stand firm, eventually they will overrun the world, establish their narrow standard, and then we will truly be hiding in the hills to be able to chant Hare Krishna. Hare Krishna.

jeffster/AMd

Any violence by a large population is not because these people are violent than any other. Its an alarm, a sign, a signal that something is wrong in the treatment of this population.

That is a load of CRAP.

Are you going to say that Hindus in Mumbai deserved what happened to them because they didn't treat Muslims well? :mad:

What about Buddhist monks who have been killed in South Thailand by Muslim separatists? Are you going to say that Buddhist monks have did something wrong to the Muslims?

This "populations" as you called it are nothing more than parasites. They live like parasite, they breed like parasite and they bring about destruction like parasites.

DO NOT INSULT the victims for actions of the Oppressors. :mad:

Personal and selfish motives? Alright ... allow me to summarize something for you.

Those terrorists ... they kill innocent people - Men, women AND Children in attempt to die and be rewarded 72 virgins (or prostitutes however you look at them) in heaven. How selfish do they need to get before Hindus fight back?

One of the reasons why things like Mumbai terror attack and 9-11 attack occur is because good people do not get up and fight back. All this talk about peace is sickening. YOU CANNOT TALK SENSE WITH SENSELESS PEOPLE.

I do understand.. but a proper planning and understanding should be there before taking any step.

Many innocent die in such wars.. see the Mahabharata.. that war took place somewhere outside the city..where assurance was made not to kill any civilian.

Not like today... innocent kids and women lose their lives.

Yes, Amlesh, you are right. The codes of war are nearly lost. All that is left is the Geneva convention of the late 40s, the current code of conduct of war. For the most part, modern warfare is mostly mechanized, impersonal slaughter due to the machine age ushered in by ugra-karma, industrialization, which began in the 1820s or 1830s with the advent of steam-driven locomotives. Now wars are fought at night as well as in the daylight hours. In attempts to demoralize the enemy, whole cities filled with civilians are bombed rather than purely military targets. Atomic warfare, wrought by America, has already happened and the reaction will be on the head of America. Terrorists hide among civilians and complain that their enemies are targetting civilians when the civilians get killed. Then they expect the world to see them as innocent victims. When will people wake up to the incessant duplicity of terrorists ?

jeffster/AMd

I do understand.. but a proper planning and understanding should be there before taking any step.

Many innocent die in such wars.. see the Mahabharata.. that war took place somewhere outside the city..where assurance was made not to kill any civilian.

Not like today... innocent kids and women lose their lives.

IF you have read Mahabratha epic, then I persume you could know who Asthama is (name maybe wrong, help out here).

That person was a terrorist. He have gathered those who have lost the war (against the Pandavas) and with this people, he have killed the survivors in their sleep.

Today, there are a lot of "Asthawamas" running around here in form of Muslims, killing of the innocents while people like us do nothing but "sleep" on this matter. Question here is - How long are we going to pretend to sleep, hoping that this people will "repent" in their ways?

As for innocent kids and women ... IS THAT REALLY OUR PROBLEM OR THEIRS?

It is they who should be thinking carefully how a war could effect their own families and how they will have to watch their children die, NOT US.

They FAILED to think carefully of the consequences of a war and could only daydream about 72 prostitutes they could get if they die in battle.

And if you suggest that we should be bothered about their children and wives, then I could say that they have succeeded in what they want - to use their family as human sheilds and our compassion as our weakness.

Maybe about time, we too turn into demons and Asuras to deal with demons like this. I could. :deal:

Terrorists hide among civilians and complain that their enemies are targetting civilians when the civilians get killed. Then they expect the world to see them as innocent victims. When will people wake up to the incessant duplicity of terrorists ?

jeffster/AMd

They will wake up to see what fear is when the first atomic bomb dropped down onto their heads.

What terrorists and even secular Muslims worldwide does not know (or care to know) is that the ONLY reason why they still allowed to do as they are pleased is because the nations of the World still hopes for Peace and do not wish for World War.

Seeking Peace is not a sign of Weakness. But to them, it is. The more peaceful we try to be with them, the more weaker we are in their sight. God willing ... that could change.

Sephiroth.. I do understand all that.. but Asvathama was someone who sided the Evil Route...

So his thinking was like that...

In the Army that was guided by Sri Krishna.. the correct War Code was conducted.

Yes, Amlesh, you are right. The codes of war are nearly lost. All that is left is the Geneva convention of the late 40s, the current code of conduct of war. For the most part, modern warfare is mostly mechanized, impersonal slaughter due to the machine age ushered in by ugra-karma, industrialization, which began in the 1820s or 1830s with the advent of steam-driven locomotives. Now wars are fought at night as well as in the daylight hours. In attempts to demoralize the enemy, whole cities filled with civilians are bombed rather than purely military targets. Atomic warfare, wrought by America, has already happened and the reaction will be on the head of America. Terrorists hide among civilians and complain that their enemies are targetting civilians when the civilians get killed. Then they expect the world to see them as innocent victims. When will people wake up to the incessant duplicity of terrorists ?

jeffster/AMd

True.

It seems both the Ruler and the Ruled are corrupted.. but all that is due to their own ignorance.

Why I pointed out the specifically Woman and Kids is because they are the least implicated in the planning process of such wars.. specially the 3rd world women.

The reasons for war is the only thing that really bemuse me.. had it been some really evident and worthy reasons, I might have looked upon it and unfortunately all the reasons are puny and trivial.. joking with the lives of many.

In truth, I can accept a war for the eradication of evil.. but in that War I would like to see great like Shivaji Maharaj, Chanaky Pandita, Hukka and Bukka, Tatia Tope, Tipu Sultan et al as the mastermind, since they fought selflessly and without any tinge of selfish interest.. just to protect Dharma.

Who is ready to take such challenge? None.. without any vested interest.. so where is the utility for such war.

And dear Sephiroth.. I agree about ur Hindu War.. but tell me whether we have real Hindus these days.

Yes, Amlesh, you hit the nail on the head when you suggest that the root of the problem is our own ignorance. Prabhupad put it nicely in Krishna Book, in Prayers to the Personified Vedas - "Because of ignorance, these living entities are misidentifying themselves in different species of life, and especially when they are elevated to the human form of life, they identify with a particular class of men, or a particular nation or race or so-called religion, forgetting their real identity as eternal servants of Your Lordship."

Yes, all parties to this conflict are corrupted. No one serves dharma. There are only gradations of demonism, shades of black and gray, no white knights. From my own prior post it is clear that America has done horrible things: the firebombing of Tokyo in WW2, which killed 150,000 in one night, the bombing of Dresden, and the ghastly annihilation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki - none of this was justifiable. The USA could have blockaded the Japanese archipilego while targetting military installations, but Truman wanted a quick way out to save the countless lives of U.S. soldiers that would have been lost had we been forced to invade Japan. If any single country should be prevented from having nuclear weapons, it should be the USA. However, in WW2, the US was not the aggressor, but was responding to the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the Blitzkrieg of London. So the reason for that war was not trivial, it was self-defense, which was justifiable.

Now the aggressors are fanatical fundamentalists hiding behind the skirts and burkhas of civilians. Truthfully, there is no easy way to deal with this. It is truly a Kali-yuga conflict. Yet we can readily see that the fundamentalists are more evil than those they hate. Even some of their positions I can understand and appreciate; for example, they are aghast at the open sexual promiscuity demonstrated in the western lands. But if they truly have the moral high ground as they claim, why don't they preach by example with compassion and tolerance ? That they do not do. They only want to kill those with whom they disagree. And it is for this reason that they must be opposed.

jeffster/AMD

The Dalai Lama will probably now align himself with globalist political leaders who themselves are terrorists and then the political leaders and the religous leaders will get to determine who the "terrorists" are. Anyone who they determine a threat to the centralized authority will be labeled a terrorist and exterminated. That is gonna be the war on terrorism in the future in my opinion. Whoever has the power to determine who the "terrorists" are and the ability to convince the worlds population will get to control the eugenics. The fact of the matter is both sides are terrorists in my opinion. Like amlesh says the ruler and the ruled are corrupted. Self reliance is the call of the hour. Those that can become self reliant have a chance as the rulers and the ruled will probably end up killing each other eventually.

There is also an x-factor with most people getting their "news" from the tee-vee there is also the concept that most never entertain the thought that governments will and have staged false flag terrorism to manipulate the populations for their own means. But the Dalai lama will probably rally everyone around the world leaders and get the witch hunt going. Round up all the terrorists and burn them at the stake!

AM, you would probably say that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I agree that both the "ruler" and the "ruled" are corrupted. As I have stated, all parties to this are in ignorance, and no real good can come from ignorance. Yet there are still some distinctions. There is evil, and there is EVIL. Can you distinguish between them ?

jeffster/AMd

<table align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="601"><tbody><tr><td align="center">The Bat, the Birds, and the Beasts</td></tr> <tr><td> </td></tr> <!-- END CHAPTERTITLE --> </tbody></table> <!-- BEGIN CHAPTER --> <table align="center" bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="601"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>A GREAT conflict was about to come off between the Birds and the Beasts. When the two armies were collected together the Bat hesitated which to join. The Birds that passed his perch said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Beast.” Later on, some Beasts who were passing underneath him looked up and said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Bird.” Luckily at the last moment peace was made, and no battle took place, so the Bat came to the Birds and wished to join in the rejoicings, but they all turned against him and he had to fly away. He then went to the Beasts, but soon had to beat a retreat, or else they would have torn him to pieces. “Ah,” said the Bat, “I see now,

<table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td> </td><td>“HE THAT IS NEITHER ONE THING NOR THE OTHER HAS NO FRIENDS.”

</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

AM, you would probably say that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I agree that both the "ruler" and the "ruled" are corrupted. As I have stated, all parties to this are in ignorance, and no real good can come from ignorance. Yet there are still some distinctions. There is evil, and there is EVIL. Can you distinguish between them ?

jeffster/AMd

It depends on what perspective you are drawing your distinctions from. My view is that the governments of the world are much more evil than any members of religous, or ethnic groups of the worlds population. That does not mean I condone terrorism or killing women and children from whatever side it is coming from.

Throughout history there have been conquests for idealogical dominations. Maharaj Yuddhisthir could be considered the aggressor when he performed the rajasuya yajna. There were many kings and territories which were peacefully existing seperately at the time, but he and his brothers obliged those territories to make a clear stand, you're either with it or not.

The problem with warfare nowadays is that it ends up a completely ambiguous endeavor. There is no concrete push to affect one side to surrender to the other. War is simply used as a tool to crush the opponents into the ground and let them build up again, not to oblige the opponents to live by the dominants ideologies.

Throughout history there have been conquests for idealogical dominations. Maharaj Yuddhisthir could be considered the aggressor when he performed the rajasuya yajna. There were many kings and territories which were peacefully existing seperately at the time, but he and his brothers obliged those territories to make a clear stand, you're either with it or not.

The problem with warfare nowadays is that it ends up a completely ambiguous endeavor. There is no concrete push to affect one side to surrender to the other. War is simply used as a tool to crush the opponents into the ground and let them build up again, not to oblige the opponents to live by the dominants ideologies.

The dominant idealogy of the current world leaders is corporate fascism. Nobody of good conscience can surrender to that.

Most governments are certainly misguided, but not all governments are openly evil. But the premise of Islamic fundamentalists is openly evil because they don't care how much pain and suffering they inflict to prove their point. And they don't care how long it takes, also. They are in it for the long haul. The powers-that-be would just like to end it so they can go back to their economic advancement to fund unrestricted sense gratification. So there is a lesson here, and that lesson is that sense gratification brings with it troubles, and therefore must be given up. In the greater scheme of things, both sides are getting this harsh lesson ultimately for their spiritual advancement.

As far as the witch-hunt goes, it is the fundamentalists who want to burn the infidels at the stake. Infidels would certainly include those who chant Hare Krishna. You do chant Hare Krishna, don't you ? Then it should be a no-brainer as to which side is (relatively) more in the right, or at least less at the evil end of the spectrum.

Let us establish sanatana-dharma as the world standard, and encourage all to rise to that standard, so that the mundane and sectarian conflicts can end.

jeffster/AMd

No worries, the Dalai Lama reportedly said: "It is difficult to deal with terrorism through non-violence", and: "the only way to tackle terrorism is through prevention". This doesn’t necessarily mean: "the only way to tackle terrorism is through violence".

But is the Dalai Lama considered an infallible authority ? What do some of the Vaishnava gurus have to say about terrorism ?

Also, Narasingh, the second paragraph of your post # 21 is an astute observation. That is why I suggested that if sanatana-dharma could be established, the conflicts based on imperfect idealogies could end.

jeffster/AMd