IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

How do I practice Bhakti at home?

Rate this topic

Being a home practitioner of sanatana dharma is more difficult than being a congregational member or resident of a temple for the simple reason that you have far less association and far more temptation from external distractions. However, it is possible to practice successfully if you are determined to make spiritual advancement. I have been a home practitioner since leaving temple life in 1980. Follow the regs, chant your mantras, read the books, associate when you can by visiting this forum and going to temple occasionally. As Srila Sridhara Maharaj said, we follow our ideals. So if we can hold to the ideal of suddha-bhakti, than we shall gradually advance to that stage. Make your home into a temple, but more importantly, make your heart into a temple by realizing that the most important thing you can offer Krishna is your self. Good luck !!

jeffster/AMd

Also, we must become genuinely afraid of maya, knowing full well that reaction will come if we step out of line. I have been kicked hard for stepping out of line, as I was not intelligent enough to learn just by hearing, so I had to learn from cruel experience. You may know that Prabhupad said that his western disciples were not afraid enough of maya.

jeffster/AMd

Bhakti can be cultivated throughout the day.

Set times can be made for meditation and jaap. I like to utilize the back yard for some yoga on a sunny day. Routine can develop this way.

Cooking can be done in devotion, washing the pots, cleaning. A lifestyle of devotion. Everyday activity...

Internal prayer and contemplation - in relation to God. Manifesting a spiritual environment, beginning with internal life and sadhana (the objects of the senses).

Appreciating nature and seeing God's presence. Gratefullness and devotion compliment each other.

These are some ways I have cultivated my bhakti lifestyle over the years. Mindfullness has helped alot. Being at peace and present within - Krsna consciousness..

I think that living alone and being surrounded by 'the others' is very in conducive for sadhana.

The most convenient method is to slowly develop attachment to the lord's form.Otherwise,there will be no basis for Kirtana and it will eventually vanish.

For eg. Think about the cute little little blueish bums of the lord,when he is walking unsteadily towards the cows.When He would want to get up,He would catch the tails of the cows use them to get up.

This adoration,sentimental association with the Lord is a good way of attachment.Otherwise Sadhana slowly becomes physical drill and then dwindles.

Think about the inexplicable ecsatasies of the Gopis when they merely look at a part of Sri Krsna's body,when they get His fragrance.That ecstacy makes Bhramananda look like rubbish.

This is how we are attached to the idea of becoming a billionaire.I would be so happy !I will buy a mansion,cars,this that.

Now similarly,try to imagine the intense concentrated PURE bliss that you will experience when you merely SEE Him.The GREED for this bliss alone will keep you going in sadhana.Otherwise the sadhaka will do various things alongwith bhakti,which is not advisable.