IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Is the earth planet the center of the universe?

Rate this topic

We hear and read that the Earth planet is the center of the universe and even that some spot on earth is more specifically the center.

What does this mean to you? Do you take it literally or in some way metaphorically?

Our literal perception has already been suggested to be insufficient based on the Vedanta, as well as Tattva Sandarbha of Jiva Goswami and corroberated by Srila Prabhupada in his numerous purports of Shashtra. What we experience as literal is already questionable due to our imperfect senses.

We hear and read that the Earth planet is the center of the universe and even that some spot on earth is more specifically the center.

What does this mean to you? Do you take it literally or in some way metaphorically?

Planet Earth is the center of the universe in that sense that from here the human beings move up to the heavenly planets or go to the 7 lower planetary systems. And as soon the results of their pious and impious activities is used up, they return to the Earth to start a next chapter.

It seems that on the heavenly planets the enjoyment is so intense that although there're pious souls, they cannot become detached from material sense enjoyment and actually situated in pure devotional service. Opposite is true on the lower planets, sinful life and suffering is of such kind that you cannot easily perform bhakti-yoga.

So they all have to return, either to go back to Godhead or to start a new chapter of a material career - in heaven or lower planets.

In this sense the Earth is a real center of the universe. If the Earth is also mathematically the center is rather unplausible because in vedic culture everything is connected with functionality. Since planet Earth is moving we cannot be exactly in the center of the universe.

At present, Earth orbits the Sun once for every roughly 366.26 times it rotates about its axis. This length of time is a sidereal year, which is equal to 365.26 solar days.

The Earth's axis of rotation is tilted 23.4° away from the perpendicular to its orbital plane, producing seasonal variations on the planet's surface with a period of one tropical year (365.24 solar days).

Theist, as we become aware of our pure conscious state, we will be obligated to question all literal ideologies; that which is literal has its base in our mundane perceptions. We must search for the spirit of existence. As my statement relates to your question, it means that your query must need a metaphorical address. I only gave my answer to your second question. To your first question; prakata (Gokul) Vrndavana is identical to aprakata (Goloka) Vrndavana; (Goloka) Vrndavana is the ultimate center; (Gokul) Vrndavana is displayed on earth; Earth is now the center of the universe (said in a metaphorically literal way :) ).

Goloka=Center=Gokula

Planet Earth is the center of the universe in that sense that from here the human beings move up to the heavenly planets or go to the 7 lower planetary systems. And as soon the results of their pious and impious activities is used up, they return to the Earth to start a next chapter.

It seems that on the heavenly planets the enjoyment is so intense that although there're pious souls, they cannot become detached from material sense enjoyment and actually situated in pure devotional service. Opposite is true on the lower planets, sinful life and suffering is of such kind that you cannot easily perform bhakti-yoga.

So they all have to return, either to go back to Godhead or to start a new chapter of a material career - in heaven or lower planets.

In this sense the Earth is a real center of the universe. If the Earth is also mathematically the center is rather unplausible because in vedic culture everything is connected with functionality. Since planet Earth is moving we cannot be exactly in the center of the universe.

At present, Earth orbits the Sun once for every roughly 366.26 times it rotates about its axis. This length of time is a sidereal year, which is equal to 365.26 solar days.

The Earth's axis of rotation is tilted 23.4° away from the perpendicular to its orbital plane, producing seasonal variations on the planet's surface with a period of one tropical year (365.24 solar days).

So Suchandra sees a meaning different then a mathematical one. I agree myself.

Theist, as we become aware of our pure conscious state, we will be obligated to question all literal ideologies; that which is literal has its base in our mundane perceptions. We must search for the spirit of existence. As my statement relates to your question, it means that your query must need a metaphorical address. I only gave my answer to your second question. To your first question; prakata (Gokul) Vrndavana is identical to aprakata (Goloka) Vrndavana; (Goloka) Vrndavana is the ultimate center; (Gokul) Vrndavana is displayed on earth; Earth is now the center of the universe (said in a metaphorically literal way :) ).

Goloka=Center=Gokula

Thanks. Now I hear ya.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=9oi64rTVwNMC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=prabhupada+earth+planet+is+center+of+the+universe&source=web&ots=0mTjA479j4&sig=DodIRWhuwSbZHvPjWTtieLR9rWg&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result#PPA57,M1

Thanks. Now I hear ya.

Prabhupada, May 17, 1975, Perth, "Millions of tons of water are floating in the air. That we see daily. So similarly, all these planets are floating by His arrangement. Not only floating. Making center that polestar, all the planets are moving around it, even the sun. So it is by His arrangement".

The Vedic text Vayaviya Tantra says that Naimisaranya would be the center or "hub" of the universe.

In the Vayaviya Tantra, it is said that Brahma, the engineer of this particular universe, contemplated a great wheel which could enclose the universe. The hub of this great circle was fixed at a particular place known as Naimisaranya.

Naimisaranya is on the Earth

SB 1.1.4 purport,

Prabhupada, May 17, 1975, Perth, "Millions of tons of water are floating in the air. That we see daily. So similarly, all these planets are floating by His arrangement. Not only floating. Making center that polestar, all the planets are moving around it, even the sun. So it is by His arrangement".

Yeah that is what the Bhagavatam says. I don't accept the cosmology of the SB myself.

If we assume that ultimately everything is one absolute unitary whole or consciousness (Advaita), then how could there be a (non-illusory) center of the universe? :D

You don't need Advaita for that. Some speculate that the material sky is unlimited which leads to the same conclusion about the center.