IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sarva gattah

CAN THIS HAPPEN AGAIN TO iskcon? LEST WE FORGET!!

Rate this topic

CAN THIS HAPPEN AGAIN TO iskcon? LEST WE FORGET!!

378426035_31e5526f22.jpg?v=0

The gurukula children all dressed up in their Fryar Tuck robes on the recommendation of Radhanatha Swami.

Training the young girls to grow up to be sannyasinis like Malati Swami.

378426071_50a7a48e2c.jpg?v=0

<!-- PHOTO CONTENT: DESCRIPTION, NOTES, COMMENTS -->The giant Prabhupada Buddha deity at New Vrindavan. Radhanatha couldn't figure out that something wasn't right.

378425816_b9ad731994_m.jpg

New Vrindavan Swami's with their special kirtans.

378425778_f2cafebe8a.jpg?v=0

An even more special New Vrindavan kirtan. Ilike this photo, very cultural and beautifully performed however, with all due repects, this is not the Prabhupada way, the way his REAL ISKCON is suppose to be.

Actually ISKCON today is a watered down version of Prabhupada's REAL ISKCON.

378425553_7651b6f214.jpg?v=0

Soul brother Devamrita Swami in the present, no more time for laying down the funk. Aniruddha dasa's savour down under these days ;)

GBC Cannot Guarantee Proper Personal Association
BY: KURMA DASA

Dec 01, AUSTRALIA (SUN) —
After everything that has occurred and is occurring within ISKCON since Srila Prabhupada's departure, it is a fact that ISKCON's current day leadership cannot guarantee that its bogus gurus and their supporters can give proper personal association to advance the Society.

Our current day ISKCON can only offer association with strings attached. In other words, if you accept the bogus concocted voted-in gurus then association is possible. If you do not accept the concoction, and even if you meet the required standards of chanting the prescribed rounds, etc., then association is denied. It is really that simple. They have created a club.

Many of ISKCON's current plethora of gurus are not interested in your liberation, they are simply interested in what they can get from you, how much money you can add to their bottom line.

If we consider the facts as they are presented -- gurus having sex, gurus stealing money, gurus criticizing Srila Prabhupada's books, gurus having lots of money, gurus ambitious for control, gurus being voted-in -- generally speaking, we have a society based on bogus gurus.

Association need not be personal. You won't hear this from the bogus guru camp though! If we go to the general index in the back of Bhagavad-gita, and look under
Devotees, (association with)
, and then look through each reference listed there, we find that on page 186, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "…the Srimad-Bhagavatam also affirms that one should follow in the footsteps of great devotees, and that is the way of progress on the path of spiritual realisation."

(Ch. 3, page 186)

If we follow Srila Prabhupada are we not following a great devotee? On page 239 of the Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "To act in Krsna Consciousness, one has to follow the leadership of authorised persons who are in a line of disciplic succession as explained in the beginning of this chapter"

(Ch. 4, page 239)

If we follow Srila Prabhupada are we not following authorised leadership? On page 241 of Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "To understand all this one has to associate with authorities in Krsna consciousness and learn the secret from them; this is as good as learning from the Lord directly."

(Ch. 4, page 241)

Are we not associating with Srila Prabhupada as His followers and learning the secret from Him within His books? On page 333 of Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "The process of bhakti-yoga can be executed successfully with full-hearted enthusiasm, perseverance, and determination by following the prescribed duties in the association of devotees and by engaging completely in activities' of goodness."

(Ch. 6, page 333)

If we cannot be within the association of devotees due to the corrupt nature of a society, does this mean we would not get the same benefit by simply following Srila Prabhupada? On page 362 of the Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "One has therefore to learn from Krsna directly or from a pure devotee of the Krsna and not from a non-devotee upstart, puffed up with academic education."

(Ch. 7, page 362)

By following Srila Prabhupada, are we not learning from a pure devotee of Krsna? On page 389 of Bhagavad-gita Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "So by association with pure devotees, the inquisitive, the distressed, the seeker after material amelioration and the man in knowledge all become themselves pure."

(Ch. 7, page 388)

Are these variety of seekers not associating with a pure devotee by reading Srila Prabhupada's books? On page 404 of Bhagavad-gita, Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "This elevation is possible in Krsna consciousness in the association of pure devotees who can deliver one from delusion."

(Ch. 7, page 404)

Once again, is it not possible for a follower of Srila Prabhupada to be elevated? On page 442 of Bhagavad-gita Srila Prabhupada states:
  • "…the Lord understands the mentality and sincerity of a particular living entity who is engaged Krsna consciousness and gives him the intelligence to understand the science of Krsna in the association of devotees. Discussion of Krsna is very potent, and if a fortunate person has such association and tries to assimilate the knowledge, then he will surely make advancement toward spiritual realisation."

(Ch. 9, page 442)

There are many followers of Srila Prabhupada around the world offering such association for discussion of Krishna. There are four or five more entries in Bhagavad-gita regarding association, and they all have similar options. If we follow Srila Prabhupada how is this not association?

We do not need to follow Bogus Hoaxers, even though they may control His assets and temples, which says even more about how materialistic they are. Prasadam can be offered practically anywhere, and association with Srila Prabhupada cannot be locked up. By following Srila Prabhupada we are, in fact, getting everything we need in the matter of association.

Kurma dasa (not the chef)

378425588_3bcf7bfb18.jpg?v=0

Eulogy for Hayagriva Prabhu (1940-1989)

By Hrishikesh dasa

The photograph posted above is from Kirtanananda Swami's 1989 Vyasa-Puja Book (the year Hayagriva Prabhu passed away). I appear in this photograph behind Bhaktipada. Bhakta Steve was Hayagriva's caretaker and he appears behind Hayagriva. The photograph was taken in Bhaktipada's driveway at his new house (built in 1986). In this photo Hayagriva is reading some computer printouts, perhaps a text written by Kirtanananda or Umapati Swami.

I considered myself a servant--if not a friend--of Hayagriva, as I worked with him setting music to his super-excellent English poetic translations of Vaishnava verses (he was a brilliant man and a genius in my opinion with the English language), and I also visited him frequently after he had become bedridden with cancer of the spine.

I was always inspired to remember and serve Krishna by my visits with him. I found him to be thoughtful and philosophical, and he kept a good sense of humor, even as his life came to the very end, joking about his embarrasing condition when he was too weak to walk to the bathroom, and a nurse had to wipe the stool from his backside.

He was initiated into the sannyas order by Kirtanananda after it was clear that he was about to leave the planet. I was very happy to render some small service by providing music for his funeral ceremony. As was apparent by observing the dozens and dozens of Brijabasis who participated in his funeral internment, he was respected, if not loved, by the residents of New Vrindaban. His samadhi can still be seen between Prabhupada's Palace and the Temple.

Before I met him, I understand Hayagriva earned a Master Degree in English at New York University, and became Srila Prabhupada's senior editor from the very beginning of ISKCON in 1966 and into the early 1970s: he was in fact Prabhupada's right hand man for book editing for quite a few years. Hayagriva was a gifted writer and editor; he wrote 42 articles and poems for Back To Godhead magazine, beginning with the first issue in 1966: Volume 1, Number 1. His last article published in BTG was in 1980.

Hayagriva was also the author of two excellent books: "The Hare Krishna Explosion: The Birth of Krishna Consciousness In America (1966-1969)" and "Vrindaban Days: Memories of an Indian Holy Town." The first was published by Palace Press in 1985, and the second published posthumously by Palace Publishing in 1990. I heartily recommend these books to anyone.

When Kirtanananda Swami left Prabhupada's service in 1967 and was banned from the New York ISKCON temple and spat upon, Hayagriva gave his long-time friend shelter and allowed him to live with him at his home in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, where on Prabhupada's recommendation, Hayagriva had accepted a position in the English Department of the Wilkes Barre Community College.

Prabhupada specifically asked Hayagriva to try to find some land in Pennsylvania for an ISKCON Community Ashram. A few months later, in April 1968, Hayagriva and Kirtanananda visited the backwoods farm in West Virginia which Prabhupada dubbed "New Vrindaban." Hayagriva and Kirtanananda were the two original residents of New Vrindaban (co-founders, if I may say so) and remained so for many years. When Kirtanananda left New Vrindaban with his Traveling Road Show, Hayagriva remained at New Vrindaban as Temple President.

For two years (1964-65 and again in 1969) Hayagriva worked as an Associate Professor of English at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. I believe during this time he established the first Columbus ISKCON Temple. In 1969 he worked at Ohio State University from Tuesday through Thursday, and worked at New Vrindaban from Friday through Monday, building cabins, repairing the old farmhouse and barn, preparing for Prabhupada's month-long visit in May 1969, and spending the money he earned in Ohio for supplies for his West Virginia spiritual home. Hayagriva was instrumental in attracting some of his students to Krishna Consciousness; a few came to New Vrindaban and were initiated by Srila Prabhupada.

Prabhupada considered Hayagriva one of the leaders of his society, and appointed him as one of the twelve original members of the first GBC during July 1970. It is clear from reading Prabhupada's letters, that Hayagriva was dearly loved by Prabhupada.

Hayagriva showed his true colors when he defended Prabhupada during the Great ISKCON Crisis during the New Vrindaban Janmastami Festival of 1970. Four newly-initiated ISKCON sannyasis began spouting mayavadi philosophy and confusing the devotees, but only Hayagriva, who had done the editing for Prabhupada's books, understood Vaishnava philosophy clearly enough to see the errors in the sanyasis' arguments, and he courageously attempted to defeat them by scripture and logic.

One eyewitness reported: "The GBC kept meeting and discussing and trying to figure out what was going on. Because it felt really weird, really off, but nobody knew the philosophy well enough, except Hayagriva, who had done all the editing of the books. Rupanuga was baffled. Hayagriva was the only one who had them pegged. He was unequivocal."

One point I try to make here, and this is perfectly clear from reading Prabhupada's letters, is that although Kirtanananda left Prabhupada's service for nearly a year during the late 1960s, Hayagriva remained in constant communication with his spiritual master, and encouraged his rebellious friend Kirtanananda to make up with and surrender to Prabhupada. Hayagriva loved Prabhupada. He never really left Prabhupada's service, although he may have certainly been distracted at times.

Granted, Hayagriva may have had some difficulties in his devotional life, which Satsvarupa das Goswami briefly alludes to in the Foreword to Hayagriva's book "The Hare Krishna Explosion," but Hayagriva always remained devoted to Prabhupada. Satsvarupa called Hayagriva "an honest, adoring disciple." Hayagriva's faith in and service to Prabhupada made him a great man; worthy of our respect, despite his weaknesses.

In the long run, Hayagriva's devotion to Srila Prabhupada and Krishna should be the all-important factor in how his legacy is remembered. From my visits with Hayagriva near the end of his life, I believe he was constantly remembering Prabhupada and Krishna, and for this inspiration he provided me, I will be forever grateful to him. I wish him well, wherever he might be, in whatever form of life, on whatever planet, but I have the feeling that wherever he is, he is continuing his progress in Krishna Consciousness. I can only hope that in the future I can experience the same.

Sincerely,

Hrishikesh dasa (Henry Doktorski)

Sir Thiest, whats your opinion of this? Is it over the top or is he right?

Rsi Sarva,

IMO he is correct and proved it with the words of Srila Prabhupada. But this controversy has gone on since Srila Prabhupada left and the leaders of Iskcon are not prepared to change it appears because they fear things will get out of their control.

The ironic thing is they are not really in control even now. Krishna is the only contoller. Some want to illusion of controling others and others wrongly accept their part in the illusion by buying into it.

We do this also personally everyday we refuse to acknowledge Krishna, on a realized level, as the only controller.

378426071_50a7a48e2c.jpg?v=0

The giant Prabhupada Buddha deity at New Vrindavan. Radhanatha couldn't figure out that something wasn't right.

What a strange statue.

I much prefer the original in Kamakura.

<!-- PHOTO CONTENT: DESCRIPTION, NOTES, COMMENTS -->

post-15914-138274056532_thumb.jpg

What a strange statue.

It is still happening in some circles:

Dec 05, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK (SUN) — Dated: July 11, 2008

A DECLARATION OF ALL DISCIPLES OF SRILA PRABHUPADA

WE, THE DISCIPLES AND FOLLOWERS OF HIS DIVINE GRACE A.C.

BHAKTIVEDANTA SWAMI PRABHUPADA DECLARE THAT:

1. BBT Trustees[1] shall ensure that a sacred spiritual tradition is formed around the books of His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada ("Srila Prabhupada") such that this generation and the subsequent future generations for the next 10,000 years shall treat all of Srila Prabhupada's vani, or teachings, with utmost sacred respect, as words of God.

http://www.harekrsna.com/sun/editorials/12-08/editorials3706.htm