IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhimashelper

Becoming a Hindu

Rate this topic

I have recently been delving deeper and deeper into Sanatana Dharma, and I have now reached the point where I think I am ready to take the jump and become a Hindu, (though I may have already been one for some time). I was just wondering what is the procedure for doing so? what kind of ceremony is there, please note I am not patricularly interested in ISKCON, as I revere Brahman as manifest in Rama, Durga and Kali most of all. any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Better than "becoming" a Hindu is realizing what you really are. You existed before the formation of the universe what to speak of any one material designation like identifying with a religion.

Go for the real thing...self realization.

you might try out ramakrishna mission or bharat sevashram samgha. i think the broad outlook of ramakrishna mission might appeal to you.personally i follow its teachings. as of my knowledge a formal initiation is all thats needed to get converted under ramakrishna mission. i dont think that there are any difficult rituals for this here.as you say that you like kali and shakti this might be a really good option for you.

but in bharat sevashram( primarily a liberal shaivite society) there are difinite process of conversion that involves some rituals. you can try both of them out.

apart from them there are numerous ashrams in india ,, specially in places like hrishikesh and haridwar where im sure there are methods for conversion. can try out anandamayi maa ashram founded on a famous indian lady saint --anandamayi maa. they also have a broad and liberal outlook coupled with deep spiritual insights.try to get some literature from each of such institutions to find out which one suits you most.

you might want to practise alone also.but that might prove difficult in long run.sadhana under banner of some institution definitely curtails freedom but prevents self deception and keeps a person orderly and focused with less chances of falldown.

everything depends on which part of the world you belong. good if there are some branches of these institutions near your place,or else you might check them out online through google.

I have recently been delving deeper and deeper into Sanatana Dharma, and I have now reached the point where I think I am ready to take the jump and become a Hindu, (though I may have already been one for some time). I was just wondering what is the procedure for doing so? what kind of ceremony is there, please note I am not patricularly interested in ISKCON, as I revere Brahman as manifest in Rama, Durga and Kali most of all. any assistance with this would be appreciated.

There is no ceremony to become a generic Hindu, though some initiation procedures exist in some sections of Hindu beliefs. I don't see a need to "become" a Hindu.

From what you write, you may be more in tune with the Ramakrishna Math. Their beliefs are modeled after Advaita and hence they are not sectarian - i.e., they are not bound to Shiva supremacy, Vishnu supremacy...any of those.

Cheers

I have recently been delving deeper and deeper into Sanatana Dharma, and I have now reached the point where I think I am ready to take the jump and become a Hindu, (though I may have already been one for some time). I was just wondering what is the procedure for doing so? .

You are at a wrong place buddy.

This forum has become a play ground for confused(iskonites excluded) yet attention seeking hindus on one hand and muslims and pentecostals masquerading as hindus on the other hand.In short this place s...s

Pm me, i will guide u to genuine people who had their roots firmly in Sanatana dharma.

But if u want to become an iskonite this is the right place.(not this section, though)

Dear Bhismashelper,

One of the greatest gifts of Hindu culture in my opinion is the ability to harmonize. Many of the great saints who have evolved from the Hindu path have spoken of unity in diversity. Ramakrishna, Sri Caitanya, Srila Prabhupada, Gandhi, Yogananda...the list goes on.

The world is rich in diversity, so while we exist in this world, temporarily, the practice of unity in diversity is necessary. Infact this practice is not eclecticism as some more new age forms of hinduism teach, but really requires a great depth of spiritual insight. It requires certain qualities to be cultivated. Hinduism is a religion of truth and the Bhagavad Gita says clearly what is truth and what is ignorance:

Bhagavad Gita Chapter 13 verse 8-12

Humility, pridelessness, nonviolence, tolerance, simplicity, approaching a bona fide spiritual master, cleanliness, steadiness and self-control; renunciation of the objects of sense gratification, absence of false ego, the perception of the evil of birth, death, old age and disease; nonattachment to children, wife, home and the rest, and evenmindedness amid pleasant and unpleasant events; constant and unalloyed devotion to Me, resorting to solitary places, detachment from the general mass of people; accepting the importance of self-realization, and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth—all these I thus declare to be knowledge, and what is contrary to these is ignorance.

The idea is to cultivate. So really the beginning of becoming a hindu is not some ritual like baptism or taking a vow of allegiance (which are in themselves acceptable), but instead cultivating and practicing. The qualities mentioned above. Reading scripture, some meditation, etc.

In this age of Kali there is always quarrel, so we must tolerate, or all practice will be lost. The Holy Name of the Lord is the touchstone which transforms all gross matter into spiritual reality. And to chant the name of God we need to be tolerant and humble.

As the age of quarrel increases so does religious sectarianism. Sectarianism has been with man throughout the ages. As one culture develops it grows seperate from others, in dress, religious practice, formalities etc etc. Even to the point, sadly, of killing each other. This is also apparent in hindu culture (and other religions) today.

The sincere hindu's practice buddhi-yoga. The yoga of intelligence connected to super-soul, the internal guru! Super-soul is one, so therefore following buddhi's instruction harmony will be natural. If we are unable to hear our inherent buddhi, but instead the clouded illusory mind of seperation, then we must call the help of external guru to guide us on the clear path. Super-soul will help us in the search for Guru - if we listen. Dear Bhismahelper it would be best to take this path when ready.

I have recently been delving deeper and deeper into Sanatana Dharma, and I have now reached the point where I think I am ready to take the jump and become a Hindu, (though I may have already been one for some time).posted by bhismashelper

I am of the opinion there is great need to awaken to a deeper sense of spiritual reality and dimension within the soul - and I firmly can recommend Hindu culture as a means to attain that vision.

what kind of ceremony is there, please note I am not patricularly interested in ISKCON, as I revere Brahman as manifest in Rama, Durga and Kali most of all.posted by bhismashelper

can try out anandamayi maa ashram founded on a famous indian lady saint --anandamayi maa. they also have a broad and liberal outlook coupled with deep spiritual insights.posted by sambya

I am attached to Sri GaurangaKrsna so firstly would recommend (from my heart) the philosophy of Sri Caitanya (it is truly wonderful as we grow). But you have expressed little interest in this, so maybe I can suggest something else in relation to Durga and Kali (more to your mood) that Sambya has also suggested:

http://www.ammaaustralia.org.au/ This lady is a real living saint, simple...with a philosophy of love. You can search her on the net and google video. I have met her once and was much impressed! I experienced ecstatic bhava for weeks after meeting her.

<embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/k5KRfnXCFArW9GbXfm&related=1&canvas=medium" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="250" height="160">

Amma bhajan chant à la mère divine

The stormy search for the Absolute Truth (non-dual absolute truth/the summum bonum):pray:.

your servant.

Bija,

nice post explaining gita and some hindu thoughts.I happen to notice you

have mentioned anandamayiMa(Referring to sambya). She appears to be a remarkable saintly lady.

I went through her brief bio at http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/anandamayi.html..

Which reads among other things.

"Anandamayi would shed profuse tears, laugh for hours, and talk at tremendous speed in a Sanskrit-like language. Other unusual actions included rolling in the dust and dancing for long periods whirling like a leaf in the wind. She would also fast for long periods and at other times consume enough food for eight or nine people..

Sounds like involuntary emotional expression disorder (IEED).

The bio also reads

"she once passed a Muslim tomb. She immediately began to recite portions of the Quran, and to perform the Namaj ritual (Muslim prayers)..

Well,bhismashelper was asking info on sanatan dharma is'nt he??

Sounds like involuntary emotional expression disorder (IEED). posted by chandu

She truly is a remarkable person Chandu. These psychiatric definitions fall far short of explaining the manifestations of a saints behaviour. Lets face it, most of these medical manuals even consider belief in God to be a disorder. One would be best to research hindu rasa sastra to understand.

The western medical model would possibly suggest most of India's great saints as disordered. Infact many of the proffesionals who rely solely on these manuals have. Very sad really. Western ethnocentrism for centuries has placed very little value on the non-ordinary state of consciousness, but instead based its findings on an outdated newtonian model that the human being is a conglomerate of protons and neutrons in a bag of skin, seperated from its environment by that bag.

Whereas ancient wisdom and culture (including hindu culture) has placed the transcendent consciousness as the pinnacle and most important factor of being. Often teaching a profound unity, rather than simply the base material idea of seperate organisms.

I went through her brief bio at http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/anandamayi.html..

"Anandamayi would shed profuse tears, laugh for hours, and talk at tremendous speed in a Sanskrit-like language. Other unusual actions included rolling in the dust and dancing for long periods whirling like a leaf in the wind. She would also fast for long periods and at other times consume enough food for eight or nine people..

I am sorry, my mistake, I meant to say Sri Amrtanandamayi Devi

http://www.amritapuri.org/

not this lady you have given the link to http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/anandamayi.html..

I read Sambya's post wrong. I do not know this lady. Interesting read all the same:

Anandamayi considered individual identity to be a kind of spiritual disease. She called it bhava roga, or the disease of feeling where every person looks at him or herself as a separate individual. When some of her disciples complained about the large crowds of people that would sometimes follow her, she responded,

As you do not feel the weight of your head, of hands, and of feet ... so do I feel that these persons are all organic members of THIS BODY; so I don't feel their pressure or find their worries weighing on me. Their joys and sorrows, problems and their solutions, I feel to be vitally mine ... I have no ego sense nor conception of separateness.

Gopinath Kaviraj, ed.,
Mother as Seen by Her Devotees
(Varanasi: Shree Shree Anandamayee Sangha, 1967), p. 94

Goodness Sambya, what a beautiful soul you have recommended!!

anandamayi1.jpg

She truly is a remarkable person Chandu. These psychiatric definitions fall far short of explaining the manifestations of a saints behaviour.

True, but the psychiatric concepts explain well,disturbed persons eating huge quantities of food.This certainly is not a saintly behavior but a disturbed Psyche.

Lets face it, most of these medical manuals even consider belief in God to be a disorder. One would be best to research hindu rasa sastra to understand.

True, but that cannot be an excuse to attribute saintly behavior or god's consciousness to crazy doings

The western medical model would possibly suggest most of India's great saints as disordered.

Yes, and i have personal experience to agree to that assessment.Most of them are weird people.

Whereas ancient wisdom and culture (including hindu culture) has placed the transcendent consciousness as the pinnacle and most important factor of being. Often teaching a profound unity, rather than simply the base material idea of seperate organisms.

We are indeed distinct beings each carrying their own karma.And, i again say "crazy behaviour" cannot find shelter in the concept of "transcendent consciousness".

There is a fine, but distinct line between delusions and god's consciousness.

Better than "becoming" a Hindu is realizing what you really are. You existed before the formation of the universe what to speak of any one material designation like identifying with a religion.

Go for the real thing...self realization.

Prabhupada was seeing oneness in all, neither christian, muslim, hindu, we ARE, but we also one and same.

Chandu, there are big oceans full of gravity, and also there are small ponds. Even the tiniest pebble will create great ripple in the small pond. Rasa.

Now saying that, I have very little time for dilly dally. And all the time in the world for spiritual encounter.

You have blessed a man here today (my neighbour)... I shared some of your posts that enlightened his soul...so really you are an extension of my Gurudeva. And I would never wish to offend him, please forgive me. You may have no idea how you have blessed us...thank you.

thanks for your information... i have much to consder before i take the next step of my journey. the reasonwhy i am interested in santana dharma is it articulates clearly what i have felt in my heart for quite some time. i just need to choose the path that resonates most deeply within me.

chandu, can you please pm me as i can't seem to pm you for some reason.

....but we also one and same.

No Lotus, we are one and different. None of us are any material designation like king, baker, candlestick-maker, Hindu,Christian Muslim Buddhist.

We belong to Krishna and not this flickering phantasmagoria. Nitai svarupa krsnadas. Any other advice is a misdirection to bhismashelper and thus a subtle form of violence.

Bija,

nice post explaining gita and some hindu thoughts.I happen to notice you

have mentioned anandamayiMa(Referring to sambya). She appears to be a remarkable saintly lady.

Sounds like involuntary emotional expression disorder (IEED).

Mirabai also expressed herself in these ways. As did the gopis in Vraja.

The bio also reads

"she once passed a Muslim tomb. She immediately began to recite portions of the Quran, and to perform the Namaj ritual (Muslim prayers)..

Well,bhismashelper was asking info on sanatan dharma is'nt he??

She recognized other religions as paths to the same God and tried to express that through her life. However, she was still Hindu and worshipped Krishna by chanting "Hari" constantly.

chandu .

i was shocked to hear such derogatory remarks from you. initially i thought you to be a bit different from most of the iskconites because you seem to have an understanding of vedas etc.

although im a follower of ramakrishna i have a deep respect for anandamayi maa also. i would like to know what have you read about her to comment like that. ecstatic bhava and paranormal incidents are so very common all over the indian religious history. if maa's bhava can be psycological disorders then the same may be said of ramakrishna ,chaitanya, meera, kabir, almost everyone. how can you drag in western psychoanalysis to interpret spiritual bhavas ?? it shows your lack of understanding of the true spirituality.indian spirituality rests on personal experiences that dont conform to western materialism and material science.what explanation does science have for nirvikalpa or savikalpa samadhis ??

i cant understand how a hindu spiritual person can bring in western psycology to evalute saints and devotees.

moreover , even if you dont believe in someone what kind of courtsy is it to hurt the belief of numerous others who follow her ?!!! you must pooses this much sense of responsibility .

find out more more about anandamayi maa and her techings through wikipedia and other sites and then say what is so non-spiritual about her , if any !!!!

SAYINGS OF ANANDAMAYI MAA :

"God is without form, without quality as well as with form and quality.

Watch and see with what endless variety of beautiful forms

He plays the play of his maya with Himself alone.

The lila of the all pervading One goes on and on in this way in infinite diversity.

He is without beginning and without end.

He is the whole and also the part.

The whole and part together make up real P erfection."

“Joys and sorrows are time-born and cannot last.

Therefore, do not be perturbed by these.

The greater the difficulties and obstructions,

the more intense will be your endeavour to cling to His feet

and the more will your prayer increase from within.

And when the time is ripe,

you will gain mastery over this power."

"I find one vast garden spread out all over the universe.

All plants, all human beings, all higher mind bodies

are about in this garden in various ways ,

each has his own uniqueness and beauty.

Their presence and variety give me great delight.

Every one of you adds with his special feature to the glory of the garden."

Quote:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> Originally Posted by bija

She truly is a remarkable person Chandu. These psychiatric definitions fall far short of explaining the manifestations of a saints behaviour.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

True, but the psychiatric concepts explain well,disturbed persons eating huge quantities of food.This certainly is not a saintly behavior but a disturbed Psyche.

If you dont know there have been countless instances where saints and godmen have started eating huge quantities of food in bhava. even in ramakrishna 's life we find several such instances where his appetite increased unbelievably and shocked everyone around him. but the moment they come back to normal conciousness they no longer retain this abnormal appetite.

Quote:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> Originally Posted by bija

Lets face it, most of these medical manuals even consider belief in God to be a disorder. One would be best to research hindu rasa sastra to understand.

True, but that cannot be an excuse to attribute saintly behavior or god's consciousness to crazy doings

you might be well read about religion but im rather sorry to say ,have no idea in spiritual matters. crazy behaviour that cannot be explained by so called 'normal' people resulting from god intoxication is one of the last stages of spiritual developement. such 'crazy' behaviour as rolling in dust ,crying,laughing,fainting,deformation of body, shivering, dancing are all sympotoms of pure ecstasy in spiritual sadhana. infact that is the ultimate test of a persons god realizations. in a true realized individual these symptoms or ashta-satwikk-vikars would automatically manifest. shastras describe such a mahapurush as becoming similar to a child or a madman or a ghost.they do not conform to social norms.......for example they might not realise that their clothing has slipped off while dancing ,out of indescribable bhava. that is the highest saintly behaviour of hinduism !!!!!!!!!

Quote:

We are indeed distinct beings each carrying their own karma.And, i again say "crazy behaviour" cannot find shelter in the concept of "transcendent consciousness".

There is a fine, but distinct line between delusions and god's consciousness.

how can you define or speculate about god conciousness unless you attain it yourself ?!!!!!!!!!!!!! are we not still under delusions of maya ?!!!

please note I am not patricularly interested in ISKCON, as I revere Brahman as manifest in Rama, Durga and Kali most of all. any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Unintelligent men, who do not know Me perfectly, think that I, The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, was impersonal before and have now assumed this personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is imperishable and supreme. - Bhagavad Gita 7.24

Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet. - Bhagavad Gita 7.23

Quote:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border: 1px solid rgb(102, 102, 102); padding-left: 3ex; padding-right: 3ex;" bgcolor="#e0e0e0"> Originally Posted by bhimashelper

please note I am not patricularly interested in ISKCON, as I revere Brahman as manifest in Rama, Durga and Kali most of all. any assistance with this would be appreciated.

Unintelligent men, who do not know Me perfectly, think that I, The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, was impersonal before and have now assumed this personality. Due to their small knowledge, they do not know My higher nature, which is imperishable and supreme. - Bhagavad Gita 7.24

Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet. - Bhagavad Gita 7.23

AS IT IS right ?

carry on trying your level best to convert people like me and bhimashelper to your only monopoly way to god.seems like new here.........enjoy !!!!!!

AS IT IS right ?

carry on trying your level best to convert people like me and bhimashelper to your only monopoly way to god.seems like new here.........enjoy !!!!!!

I have not seen anyone converted here, so far. I have seen the reverse happen, though. Ironically, it was their attempts to proselytize that resulted in a change in themselves.

A very common misconception is to see the Bhagavad Gita as some kind of a Bible equivalent. Many Westerners tend to see Hinduism as another religion which has a single "true" book and a single "true" God. Some Hindus are guilty of this too, for adopting the Christian/Islam view that polytheism is baaaaad and then trying to pass Hinduism off as a monotheistic religion.

The fact is, the Bhagavad Gita is not an authority for the majority of Hindus (including Vaishnavas) and Krishna is not THE God, but a God among several Gods. I guess it is hard for foreigners who have not spent time in India to understand this. They have to rely on what they are told by the people around them and hence the misconceptions.

Cheers

I have not seen anyone converted here, so far. I have seen the reverse happen, though. Ironically, it was their attempts to proselytize that resulted in a change in themselves.

A very common misconception is to see the Bhagavad Gita as some kind of a Bible equivalent. Many Westerners tend to see Hinduism as another religion which has a single "true" book and a single "true" God. Some Hindus are guilty of this too, for adopting the Christian/Islam view that polytheism is baaaaad and then trying to pass Hinduism off as a monotheistic religion.

The fact is, the Bhagavad Gita is not an authority for the majority of Hindus (including Vaishnavas) and Krishna is not THE God, but a God among several Gods. I guess it is hard for foreigners who have not spent time in India to understand this. They have to rely on what they are told by the people around them and hence the misconceptions.

nice analyzation . true indeed !!!!!!