IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
sandhu.jp

Planetary combustion And Faq's.

Rate this topic

PLANETARY COMBUSTION

1. If the Sun is a functional benefic planet, is the combust planet always considered weak?Let us first understand the combustion as a concept. Whenever a planet comes very near to the Sun, it is divested of its brightness (luster). The said state is called combustion. While in the state of combustion, the planets lack power to protect and promote the significations/houses ruled by them. If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them do not even take birth. The planets are said to be combust when they are within the below mentioned degrees on either side of the Sun.

When both the Sun and the combust planet are functional benefic planets and are closely conjunct, we have to see their two roles distinctively. Firstly, as the lords of the two auspicious houses they rule. The significations of both of these houses will flourish and will be connected to each other except the short run transit malefic influences which will stress the combust planet comparatively more than the Sun. Secondly, the role of a combust planet. The combust planet is considered as a weak planet but in case the Sun and planet(s) involved are functional benefic planets, the weakness of the combust planet(s) is operative only at the time of natal or transit afflictions.

2. Can we call the combust planet “Weak”?Yes. The weakness due to combustion gives high and low tides in life and need astral strength for the planets to enable them to fight natal and / or transit afflictions.

3. We understand that when combust, a planet will transfer its significations to the Sun. Right? Does that mean that if, say, the lord of the sixth gets combust, the Sun will take on its qualities of dispute, conflict, and injury, even if their orb of conjunction is more than 6 degrees?

If a functional malefic planet closely influences any other planet or the Sun, a functional malefic planet will certainly color the significations of the planet under its influence, negatively.

4. Is there ever a time when the transit influence continues for a longer duration?

Generally, the maximum limit of transit influences is around four months when Rahu/Ketu axis is stationary.

5. As for the Sun, to what extent the influence of the combust planet helps as the combust planet will be weak and not in a position to help the Sun?

When both the Sun and the combust planet are functional benefic planets and are closely conjunct, one should see their role as the lords of the two houses they rule. The significations of both of these houses will flourish and will be connected to each other except the short run transit malefic influences which will stress the combust planet comparatively more than the Sun.

6. In a situation, where the dispositor of the Sun is combust, the Sun indirectly hurting itself by causing combustion to its own dispositor, would there be more weakness to both dispositor of the Sun and Sun itself, if Sun was a functional malefic planet for the ascendant in question?

That is right.

h) IN FRIENDLY SIGNS: When planets occupy the signs of their friendly planets, they are happy and feel free to produce results, if they are otherwise strong. The Sun, the Moon and Mars are friends and Jupiter is their preceptor. Saturn, Mercury, Rahu and Ketu are friends and Venus is their preceptor.I) IN INIMICAL SIGNS: When planets occupy signs of their enemies, they do not find themselves comfortable to produce results expected of them. However, any sign from where a particular planet aspects its own mooltrikona sign is an exception to this rule and a planet in such a state does not find itself restricted to produce results.j) AFFLICTED PLANETS: The afflictions to the planets or houses are caused by the close conjunction or aspect of the functional malefic planets in a nativity. Whenever a planet/house is already weak for any other reason and is under the close influence of any functional malefic, it is treated as an afflicted planet/house. But when the planet/house is not weak for other reasons, it can be considered afflicted either under the exact influence of a functional malefic for normal afflictions or under the orb of influence of two degrees for special/multiple afflictions, becoming a weak planet/house for that reason. So whenever any planet/house is afflicted, it becomes weak not being capable of fully protecting/promoting its general and particular significations. The significations of the houses having mooltrikona sign of an afflicted planet are harmed more when such planets are already weak for other reasons. k) WEAK PLANETS: A weak planet is not capable of fully protecting/promoting its general and particular significations during the course of its sub-periods and the transit malefic influences. Any planet is considered weak if: a) it is combust due to its nearness to the Sun.

b) it occupies malefic houses from the ascendant, ( Except when in its own mooltrikona sign.)

c) it occupies its sign of debilitation.(The planets are considered weak for all purposes if they occupy debilitated navamsa and are considered weak for specific purposes if they occupy the corresponding debilitated amsa. For example, if any planet is strong in rasi and navamsa, but debilitated in dasamsa, it makes it weak only for the purposes of the 10th house. But being debilitated in navamsa makes it weak regarding all its general and particular significations.)

d) it is in the state of infancy or old age.

e) it occupies debilitated sign in navamsa.

f) it occupies the mooltrikona sign of a weak planet.

g) it is the Moon within 72 degrees either side of the Sun.

h) it is conjunct or aspected by any functional malefic planet within an orb of one degree.

i) the most effective point of its house of placement is afflicted by a functional malefic planet within an orb of one degree. ( It only applies to nativities where the time of birth is correct.)

j) the most effective point of its mooltrikona house is afflicted by a functional malefic planet within an orb of one degree. ( In this case, the planet should be considered weak for the purposes of its particular significations only. It only applies also if the time of birth is correct.)

NOTE: in the last three points, when the affliction is special or multiple, i.e. when it comes from:-

1) a conjunction with/ aspect from the most malefic planet,

2) an aspect of a functional malefic planet placed in a malefic house,

3) a conjunction with Rahu or Ketu (Rahu-Ketu axis),

4) an aspect of a functional malefic planet afflicted by other(s) functional malefic,

5) more than one functional malefic planet at the same time,

any otherwise “strong” planet should be considered afflicted (and weak) even when the orb of affliction is of two degrees. l) STRONG PLANETS: A strong planet protects and promotes its general and particular significations. Any planet is considered strong when it is not in the state of weakness. It can increase its strength if:a) its longitude is between 10º to 20º in a particular sign;

b) it occupies own or good navamsa and other divisions;

c) it is under the close influence of the strong functional benefic planets;

d) it occupies its exaltation, mooltrikona or own sign;

e) it closely influences the most effective point of the house.DISPOSITORAccording with Systems’ Approach, the dispositor is a planet in whose mooltrikona sign another planet is located in the natal chart. Suppose in a natal chart the Sun is placed in the sign Libra ruled by Venus. In this case Venus will be the dispositor of the Sun. No planet which is in a non- mooltrikona sign will have a dispositor i.e. the planet(s) in Taurus, Gemini, Scorpio, Capricorn and Pisces have no dispositor. If a planet is posited in Aries, its dispositor would be Mars; if a planet is posited in Cancer, its dispositor would be the Moon; if a planet is posited in Leo, its dispositor would be the Sun; if a planet is posited in Virgo, its dispositor would be Mercury; if a planet is posited in Libra, its dispositor would be Venus; if a planet is posited in Sagittarius, its dispositor would be Jupiter; and if a planet is posited in Aquarius, its dispositor would be Saturn.DIVISIONAL CHARTSThe divisional charts (DCs) are the charts which are drawn by division of houses for specialized analysis of a particular signification; for example navamsa for considering general fortune and marriage, etc., and dasamsa for considering professional aspects in a nativity.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Hello Sir,

I am new astrology and after reading this post I have concern with my horoscope in which I have Sun (15.24 degree) and Venus (17.05 degree) together in the 11th house (house of Saturn), besides this I have Saturn in 7th house (house of Sun) in retrograde position at 5 degrees i.e. Sun and Saturn are exchanged, please help me analyze my 11th house.

I would really appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ompuneet

Hello Sir,

In my horoscope Jupiter id in deep combustion in the second house in Leo.

Is Jup being the lord of sixth house being combust good? My Jupiter dasa was very bad.

Lagna:Cancer - Rasi:Kumbha.

-Sunder.

Dear Sandhu ji

As the topic of Combustion is going on i remember the uchha bhanga yog you thought so with respect to it is it possible that if there are 2 Combust planet in chart giving dristi to each other will they causes any yog for that native or does there is combustion bhanga yoga or so

Regards

Swapnil

Dear Swapnil,

There is no such thing as com-bust bhanga yoga, a com-bust planet if malefic gives a middling effect only, a com-bust benific looses its power and becomes neutral ,as regards mutual aspect of com-bust plants how can this be possible, a combustion occurs if a planet is within certain specific degrees to sun ,do you think that sun can effect a planet 180 deg apart.

Don't let your imagination run amok.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Dear Sandhu ji

As the topic of Combustion is going on i remember the uchha bhanga yog you thought so with respect to it is it possible that if there are 2 Combust planet in chart giving dristi to each other will they causes any yog for that native or does there is combustion bhanga yoga or so

Regards

Swapnil

Dear Sandhu ji

I am sorry i got confused between combustion and retrogression i mean it for retrogression

For Combustion point of view i know the story of Ram and Parshurama as they were represented by sun and venus respectively

It is also said that when rama meet parshurama he gave his powers to rama and so does the things happen between sun and venus when they are near venus become weak and sun handels the things

correct me if i am wrong

Regards

Swapnil

Dear Sandhu,

Lot of new concepts have been divulged by you. Like orbs of one or two degrees. I would like to know whether its reference has been taken from any treatise or it is your personal experience / research.

Surly when a novice shall read the following line in the first para of your thread ,he shall get a shock.

"If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them do not even take birth. "

It is well known fact that the Moon is combust when is within 12 degrees on either side of the Sun. That does not mean that such natives shall / do not have ANY fruits of the significances of the Moon, even if the Moon is weak. That native shall surely not become lunatic, only on account of such Moon.

Mercury is combust in about 30 % of the horoscopes - does that mean that those natives do not have any good effects of the Mercury in their life time?

Combustion has some adverse effects, but not that severe as mentioned in the theard.

... V K Shridhar :smash:

http://www.besttime-election.com

"Hindu Electional Astrology" - the largest compendium on Muhurt (election) & the best seller in the country.

Dear VK shiridhar ji,

If you observe the highlighted line you will see that it states that if a planet apart from being combust is weak on other accounts also then only the denial takes place,more so it may mean denial of any of significations of the planet , take moon , moon means mother and mind, now the native can be simpelton or the native can be devoid of motherly love.

If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them do not even take birth. "

Moon in the Twelfth House<O:P> </O:P>

Will be lazy and devoid of wealth. Will be an outcast. Will have to<O:P> face a lot of defeats. Will live in foreign lands. Mother's health<O:P> may be affected.<O:P> </O:P>

</O:P></O:P>

A combust Moon is to be avoided in all good Jyotish election charts. A planet within one degree from the Sun is said to the most powerless. In addition to adverse effects in the natal astrology, a combust planet is too weak to render beneficial effects during its favorable transits to the natal position.( Source Wikpedia)

Furthermore, the Moon is combust two days out of every lunar month, although the period of the New Moon, when the Moon is in this condition, has always been regarded as a perilous one astrologically( Source Wikpedia)

Combustion" occurs when the unassisted view of a planet from the earth is obscured by the light of the sun.

The Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn become combust, during their direct motion, when their longitudinal arc is 12, 17, 14, 11, 10 & 16 degrees respectively from the Sun on either side. During retrograde motions Mercury and Venus become combust when the said arc is 12 & 8 degrees respectively. Exact longitudinal arc depends upon declination of the Sun and the concerned planet. Daily ephemeredes do indicate the time and date of start and end the combustion of different planets as seen from a specific place on the earth. The Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn remain combust for 2, 118, 11 to 20, 28, 53 and 57 days approximately during their direct motion and during retrograde motion Mercury and Venus remain combust for 21 to 33 and 5 days respectively. Mars Jupiter and Saturn do not combust when in their retrograde motion. It is astronomically termed as “heliacal setting”.

In Vedic / Hindu system of astrology, a planet is said to be devoid of its strength when in combustion. This astronomical phenomenon weakens a planet most adversely. However Mercury is said to be extremely weak if it is in the same sign as the Sun in Navamsa divisional chart (the Navamsa is a harmonic chart which divides each sign into 9 parts.) A combust Moon is to be avoided in all good Jyotish election charts. A planet within one degree from the Sun is said to the most powerless. In addition to adverse effects in the natal astrology, a combust planet is too weak to render beneficial effects during its favorable transits to the natal position.

An eclipse of the luminaries is analogous to combustion, in which case either of the luminaries is not visible because of occlusion. The period of the occlusion is a very feared astrological effects, especially in electional astrology. The constellation occupied by the Moon at the time of solar or lunar eclipse must be left in elections being highly malefic. The period for which the said constellation is to be shunned, depends upon the degree of severity of the eclipse. As per Hindu electional astrology, the intervening period between the two eclipses is prohibited in elections.

For technical purposes, in Western astrology, most ancient and medieval authorities considered a planet combust or burnt when its position was within 5-8 degrees on either side of the Sun. However, a planet will continue to be weakened by Sun until it has elongated by 15-17 degrees from it. (Lilly says 17 degrees on p. 113 of Christian Astrology.) This positioning is said to be under the beams of the Sun, and although it may be stronger than being combust, it will still cause a noticeable weakening in a planet's effectiveness.

As per the ancient western astrologers, a planet within arc of 17 minutes the Sun’s longitude is “in heart of the Sun” & is said to be a cazimi planet. William Lilly opines it to be “ wondrous strong”. The traditional astrologers give (+) 5 points to evaluate strength of a cazimi planet. But some modern astrologers disagree with this and opine it as “silly distinction”. Further in evaluation of strength of planets, (-) 5 points are allocated to combust planet (between 17' and 8.5° from the Sun); and (-) 4 points under beams of the Sun (between 8.5° and 17° of the Sun). Thus a planet when even not heliacal set (as per astronomy) is considered week by the accidental debilities mode of calculation.

Since Mercury remains 28 degrees from either side of the Sun and is hence combust most of the time (about 150 days in a year), it is difficult to apply the strictures of combustion to that planet. Furthermore, the Moon is combust two days out of every lunar month, although the period of the New Moon, when the Moon is in this condition, has always been regarded as a perilous one astrologically.

(Source light on vedic astrology)https://www.lightonVedic Astrology.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=9487&highlight=&sid=68ded16e431787e7475429a0ee116818

yes i have a case of a few friends that have good combinations of planets to raise in life,but as we sad if the moon is not good they have problems in the mind,they are not in center and thay cant be focused to reach the goal.

I have one friend that has a bad and weak moon,and i have never seen him that he didnt start to speak how bad things are,and he has dark periods of mind,usualy for no reason.

So in order to be like the King on must have a royal mind,not one of a peasant,so to say.

One must have a vision of one self in the bright light,and meditate on that,never give up to the obstacles of life.

Hope i have made my point of view clear

You have missed my one specific point and that is that apart from being combust if the planet is affected by other weakness ,then and only then the near absolute denials take place.

Saravali

By Kalyana Varma

Ch. 39. Obstructions To RajaYogas

3. The RajaYogas in the horoscope are only name sake, if the Moon being weak is in the last Navansa of a Movable Sign, or in the 8th Navansa of a Fixed Sign, or in the first Navansa of a Common Sign and is without aspect from any other planet.

8. Should the Sun be in his own Navansa, while the Moon is in combustion and in aspect to malefics without the aspect of benefics, the native will enjoy rulership (with the help of other Raja Yogas) only to relinquish the kingdom soon and will become miserable.

9. Should the Moon lend her inimical aspect to the Ascendant Lord, while the Sun, Mars and Saturn are in their order in the 3rd, 6th and 7th, the RajaYogas will become ineffective. Benefics should in this case be not in Angles, but suffer combustion.

14. If weak Moon is in her deep degree of debilitation the RajaYogas get destroyed, just as a king going against an astrologer.

19. If in the formation of Kemadruma Yoga, the Moon is without the aspect of another planet, the RajaYogas lose their existence and the native will be devoid of good conduct

As per BV Raman in prasana marga stanza 31 & 32 a combust mercury and moon in ascendent can cause unmaada yoga (Madness)

Please refer to the start of my reply wherein i have mentioned about moon being mind or mother.

Hope i have given a reasonable explanation.

The point that you have highlighted clearly states that Apart fromcombustion if the planet is weak due to other reasons also only then and then the effects are that severe as highlighted.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Dear Sandhu,

Lot of new concepts have been divulged by you. Like orbs of one or two degrees. I would like to know whether its reference has been taken from any treatise or it is your personal experience / research.

Surly when a novice shall read the following line in the first para of your thread ,he shall get a shock.

"If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them do not even take birth. "

It is well known fact that the Moon is combust when is within 12 degrees on either side of the Sun. That does not mean that such natives shall / do not have ANY fruits of the significances of the Moon, even if the Moon is weak. That native shall surely not become lunatic, only on account of such Moon.

Mercury is combust in about 30 % of the horoscopes - does that mean that those natives do not have any good effects of the Mercury in their life time?

Combustion has some adverse effects, but not that severe as mentioned in the theard.

... V K Shridhar :smash:

"Hindu Electional Astrology" - the largest compendium on Muhurt (election) & the best seller in the country.

COMBUST MERCURY: " When Mercury is combust the individual experiences feelings of vulnerability when making requests. The self is identified with the function of speech and feels hurt and rejected when his requests are slighted or denied. The ego is fearful of having its request denied and therefore feeling rejected on a personal level. Even legitimate requests such as asking for a well-deserved raise, requesting from loved ones and returning an item to a store become difficult. After some time the individual feels taken advantage of and unfulfilled at which time anger and resentment set in. They are generally only able to communicate their desires and needs more overtly through hints, or in a joking manner. Combust Mercury presents the most trouble in personal relationships where a clear communication of needs and desires is important for maintaining harmony and in business affairs where money must be asked for. In essence, when Mercury is combust the native is angry because they are unable to maintain a fair exchange with others.

Generally the issues revolving around a combust Mercury develop in this lifetime when the native, as a child, felt rejected when making requests for things from the father, and the father answering something like this, "What do you want that for, its stupid, a waste of money, etc."

Dear Sandhu ji,

THanks. It is nice to have your reply.

My purpose to comment on your thread was that the novice astrologers / readers may not get frightened to read what you have said in the thread.

If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them “do not even take birth”

The words specifically stating that “DO NOT EVEN TAKE BIRTH” – is really frightening to them. I agree with you in most of the arguments & logic put forward therein, but raised certain clarifications / information from you which is still not provided.

Saravali quoted by you has only once refers to “Combustion”.

No doubt that combust planet is termed as weakest in calculating strength but that never means that significations ruled by them do not even take birth.

Regarding Mercury you have supported argument which also agrees that there are exceptions in case of Mercury. Then, why this logic is not even partially applied to other planets, is left for the prudence of the readers.

May please log on to :

http://www.srigaruda.com/wordpress/wp-content/astangata-asta.pdf

for more details on combustion.

Indecently I may point out that Sh Vivekanada Swami had both Venus & Mercury combust. True these are not very very weak other wise. But we all know he was blessed in respect of significations of both Venus & Mercury.

Your next support is from Wikipedia. I agree with most of the logics therein but see the revised degrees of orbs of combustion in the above site.

ALL OF US KNOW THAT THE ORBS MENTIONED IN THE WIKIPEDIA AND IN OTHER BOOKS ARE NOT APPLICANBLE. ONE HAS TO REFER PANCHANGA TO FIND OUT EXACT TIME & DATE OF COMBUSTION. THIS IS BECAUSE ONE HAS TO CONSIDER DECLINATION OF THE PLANETS AS WELL AS GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION (LATTITUDE & LONGITUDE) OF THE VIEWER.

Now regarding elections (MUHURT):

Agreed that combust Moon is not welcomed in “GOOD” elections. But is used in Shradhas (donations to Pitras) etc. & in inauspicious Muhurtas. I may like to refrain on debate I on this topic as inauspicious elections are not divulged – as per ethical code.

You have not clarified about the source of the orbs (one or two degrees) mentioned in your thread.

Now for readers :

Please do not get frightened if any planet is combust in your horoscope & also is weak. Be sure that you shall not be devoid of all the significances of that planet in your life time.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to

Hindu Electional Astrology” – the largest & the best seller compendium on Vedic / Indian electional (MUHURT) astrology.

Dear VK ji,

The source of my article is Your astrologer.net, Once again you are concentrating on latter part of the sentence , which says that significations dont even take birth. While The complete sentence is That planet if planet is combust and weak on another accounts also , it does not let its significations take birth. Its not such a dreadful statement as made out to be.

For your reference i post this link of a chart where majority of planets are under the influence of the sun and thus combust, will like to have your inputs on this. pLease put your inputs on the following chart in the link provided.

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vedic astrology-jyotisha/450016-rare-chart-having-7-planets-ascendent.html

My groups link

http://www.scribd.com12833-bharatiya-jyotish-saadhna-group

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Dear Sandhu ji,

THanks. It is nice to have your reply.

My purpose to comment on your thread was that the novice astrologers / readers may not get frightened to read what you have said in the thread.

If such a planet is weak on other accounts too, the significations ruled by them “do not even take birth”

The words specifically stating that “DO NOT EVEN TAKE BIRTH” – is really frightening to them. I agree with you in most of the arguments & logic put forward therein, but raised certain clarifications / information from you which is still not provided.

Saravali quoted by you has only once refers to “Combustion”.

No doubt that combust planet is termed as weakest in calculating strength but that never means that significations ruled by them do not even take birth.

Regarding Mercury you have supported argument which also agrees that there are exceptions in case of Mercury. Then, why this logic is not even partially applied to other planets, is left for the prudence of the readers.

May please log on to :

http://www.srigaruda.com/wordpress/wp-content/astangata-asta.pdf

for more details on combustion.

Indecently I may point out that Sh Vivekanada Swami had both Venus & Mercury combust. True these are not very very weak other wise. But we all know he was blessed in respect of significations of both Venus & Mercury.

Your next support is from Wikipedia. I agree with most of the logics therein but see the revised degrees of orbs of combustion in the above site.

ALL OF US KNOW THAT THE ORBS MENTIONED IN THE WIKIPEDIA AND IN OTHER BOOKS ARE NOT APPLICANBLE. ONE HAS TO REFER PANCHANGA TO FIND OUT EXACT TIME & DATE OF COMBUSTION. THIS IS BECAUSE ONE HAS TO CONSIDER DECLINATION OF THE PLANETS AS WELL AS GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION (LATTITUDE & LONGITUDE) OF THE VIEWER.

Now regarding elections (MUHURT):

Agreed that combust Moon is not welcomed in “GOOD” elections. But is used in Shradhas (donations to Pitras) etc. & in inauspicious Muhurtas. I may like to refrain on debate I on this topic as inauspicious elections are not divulged – as per ethical code.

You have not clarified about the source of the orbs (one or two degrees) mentioned in your thread.

Now for readers :

Please do not get frightened if any planet is combust in your horoscope & also is weak. Be sure that you shall not be devoid of all the significances of that planet in your life time.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to

Hindu Electional Astrology” – the largest & the best seller compendium on Vedic / Indian electional (MUHURT) astrology.

Dear Sandhu ji,

"Vasist Samhita" (47/29) clarifies the issue -"the significations ruled by them do not even take birth" - raised in this thread.

The verse is interpretted like this:

"A deblitated planet or a planet situated in (bitter) enemy's sign, and if lost in planetary fight or combust; and is situted in ascendent, then, it is not capable to give any type of result. And also is unable to give any result if (such a planet) is aspected by enemy (bitter)"

Please note the emphasis is that the such planet is in ascendent.

Please note that in your exampled case the such planets are in ascendent.

So I again point out to my readers that please do not get frightened if any planet is combust in your horoscope & also is weak. Be sure that you shall not be devoid of all the significances of that planet in your life time.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to

Dear VK ji.

Thanks for the reply, i agree with you partially for i still say that if the planet is weak and combust then it denies its significations ,which may be any one of the total or all of them in extreme cases.

Regards

J.ssandhu

Dear Sandhu ji,

"Vasist Samhita" (47/29) clarifies the issue -"the significations ruled by them do not even take birth" - raised in this thread.

The verse is interpretted like this:

"A deblitated planet or a planet situated in (bitter) enemy's sign, and if lost in planetary fight or combust; and is situted in ascendent, then, it is not capable to give any type of result. And also is unable to give any result if (such a planet) is aspected by enemy (bitter)"

Please note the emphasis is that the such planet is in ascendent.

Please note that in your exampled case the such planets are in ascendent.

So I again point out to my readers that please do not get frightened if any planet is combust in your horoscope & also is weak. Be sure that you shall not be devoid of all the significances of that planet in your life time.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to

Dear VK ji.

Thanks for the reply, i agree with you partially for i still say that if the planet is weak and combust then it denies its significations ,which may be any one of the total or all of them in extreme cases.

Regards

J.ssandhu

Sandhuji,

I am just a beginner in learning astrology and I find this site absolutely fascinating.

I have a question on the combustion of planets. I read that moon is actually never combust since it does not have any light of its own but reflects light off the Sun. Is this true?

My sister has Moon combust within 3 degrees of Sun but in Taurus and exalted. What would this mean?

Is there a typical behaviour shown by people born on Amavasya day?

Regards

Shruthi

Combust Planets

<CENTER></CENTER><HR>

<CENTER>by Prof. P S Sastri </CENTER>

THE problem of combustion (astangata) has given rise to varied doubts and misinterpretations. For calculating longevity, Venus and Saturn are not subject to combustion. A faulty text of Satya Samhita excludes even Mercury.

It is generally taken for granted that combustion varies from six degrees to seventy degrees to seventy degrees of the Sun. Some take the orb to be twelve degrees only while a few do not go beyond eight degrees. Does a combust planet become always weak and malefic? Here, we have also to note whether the planet concerned is head of the Sun or behind the Sun. Next we should note the permanent and temporary relationship of a planet to the Sun. It is enough to take six to eight degrees for a separating conjunction, and eight (or even twelve) degrees for an applying one. The ownerships and placement of the planet with the Sun should not be ignored.

The conjunction of the two luminaries appears around the new Moon day. It was a day fixed by Lord Krishna for the commencement of the Mahabharata war. The conjunction of these two is a critical one. It denies or restricts the breadth of outlook and adjustability. The interests are determined by the house where it takes place. If Mercury or Venus joins these the balance of mind may be upset slightly. Stubbornness, emotionalism, aloofness and repression can appear. If it is the 2nd or the 12th house, eye-sight is affected. If it is in the first, the health is delicate.

The first chart is that of Dr. S Radhakrishnan. The Sun is in his own in the 12th with the Moon. For the luminaries we may have to take 12 or 7 degrees. Here these two are slightly away by fourteen and a half degrees. They are not aspected by any. His eye-sight was affected. A certain rigidity of outlook and an inability to adapt himself to his environment was evident in his life. The other malefic features did not appear as the Sun is in his own sign, though debilitated in Navamsa. But here he is ahead of the Moon.

The Sun and Mercury are never away beyond 28 degrees. The conjunction of these two is frequent. Our ancient authorities praise this as Budha-Aditya Yoga. When Mercury is left along he can upset mental stability. But a close conjunction of Mercury with the Sun eclipses mental faculties related to business and literary abilities. The other activities will flourish.

In the second chart the Sun and Mercury are within 7 degrees in the 10th house. Mercury is exalted in Rasi and debilitated in Amsa. It is the horoscope of India's greatest Engineer, Sir M Visvesvaraya. In the third chart this conjunction is in Lagna, Mercury getting exalted in Amsa. He is a very astute diplomat and administrator, a trusted aide of late Mrs. Gandhi and of Mr. Rajiv Gandhi. The Sun is behind Mercury in both. Here is a loss of flexibility, even of impartiality because of this. The feelings disturb the clarity of the Mind. In the fourth chart the same conjunction is in the same sign, Virgo. Here it is the second house. The Sun is ahead of Mercury and is afflicted by retrograde Saturn. This lady was denied marriage. In all these cases the animal nature is subdued by intellect. The great European philosopher Kant had combust Mercury. The outlook was practical and worldly. In the fifth chart the Sun is ahead by more than 32 degrees. Still it made this lady stubborn and self-willed. Probably Saturn's aspect on Lagna and Venus' aspect on Mercury deprived her of a happy married life. She is now seeking a divorce.

Venus is always within 48 degrees of the Sun. Yet combust Venus gives rise to artistic pursuits, medical education and the like. President Heidenburg and Annie Besant had combust Venus. This conjunction is not favourable for marriage. The sixth chart shows a close conjunction. Inheriting huge property he lost everything before he was twenty-five. Lord of 9 and 11 are in the 8th. Combust Venus denies a happy married life.

The Sun and Mars are natural friends. The Sun is exalted in the sign of Mars. But the exaltation of Mars in a sign of Saturn does not augur well for a combust Mars. Health gets disturbed. Accidents are possible. The native works very hard. Depending on the sign and the house, combust Mars can give opposite results. The seventh chart shows a close conjunction in the 8th house. The lord of Lagna (Mars) is with the 10th lord (Sun) in the 8th. In Amsa, Mars is exalted and he is in advance of the Sun. This lady braved many sorrows, calamities and restrictions, and ultimately she returned to power as the Prime Minister of Pakistan. Can she live peacefully and be successful head of the government? The aspect (not exact) of retrograde Saturn on combust Mars is ominous.

Combust Jupiter is quite beneficial. He makes the native ambitious, religious, philosophical; literary and other activities play a major role. It is a highly benevolent combustion. The 8th chart is that of Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar. The Sun is in his own sign in Lagna in close conjunction with Jupiter and Ketu, though he is ahead of both. The aspect of Mars from the 10th has aggravated the benefic qualities to make him a celebrated musician. Venus in Lagna gave a helping hand as well. If Rahu were with Jupiter, the result would have been disastrous. In the 9th chart eclipsed Jupiter made him heir to fabulous property all of a sudden. It is Saturn, lord of the combust sign, that is now giving the desired results.

How does combust Saturn work? The moola-trikona and signs of exaltation of the Sun and Saturn are exactly in opposite signs. But the opposite signs have great similarities. Combust Saturn confers respect and material success. One becomes a self-made man. The conjunction can also make one secretive. A strong combust Saturn makes one place duty above everything else. The native may become egocentric. The tenth chart is that of Mr Jyoti Basu. There is no exact conjunction of the Sun and Saturn. But it is the be ginning of Saturn's major period that made him successful at last. In Amsa both the Sun and Saturn are exalted. In the eleventh chart the Sun in the 2nd in his own house is behind Saturn. He is a good enterprising businessman. Life has been hard on him and he is now getting out of the woods. Retrograde Jupiter's major period will see him through.

There remain the extra-saturnine planets. We plead for the inclusion of Uranus and Neptune in our system. As the great Varahamihira said: "The Ionians are Mlecchas. But this science of Astrology was nourished by them. They are being respected like our seers. Then what can we say about a Dvija who is an astrologer (daiva-vid).

Combust Uranus works both ways. The native can be rebellious, perverse and obstinate. A scientific or a literary career is possible. Changes are sudden and unexpected. One seeks his own career and his own way of life. There is great talent. Examples are P B Shelly, Louis Pasteur, Lewis Carroll, Lord Salisbury and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Uranus has great similarities with Mercury, Saturn and Mars. This can make us rethink about the natural relationship between the planets. At least we are skeptical about the Buddhist Satyakirti's clarification of friends, foes, and neutrals among the planets. A close reconciliation of the views of Yavaneswara with those of Satyakirti is very necessary at least in the last decature of this century. Uranus rules Aquarius, is exalted in Gemini and has his moola-trikona in Gemini or in Libra.

Combust Neptune is as good as Jupiter as both rule Pisces. As against the Western theoreticians we hold that Neptune is a benefic, controlling the spiritual, philosophic and religious activities. Also he rules over drugs and intoxicants, which are a part of Jupiter's significations also. Combust Neptune gives better results of a favourable nature than combust Jupiter.

Our study shows that combust Venus, Mars and Uranus are to be apprehended. Combust Saturn puts a man on trial like combust Moon. Combust Neptune appears in the charts of Edison, George IV, Richard Cromwell, Alfonsa of Spain and the Crown Prince of Germany. Any combust planet is not bad. Same are favourable. It is for the scholars to advise us about our findings.

References

For the sake of convenience we have given the charts as per Lahiri's Ephemeris and Ayanamsa. This does not mean we accept his Ayanamsa.

1. 1888-9-5. Lagna—Virgo with Mercury 1.10 and Venus 5.23; Scorpio – Mars 3-56 and Jupiter 7-9; Cancer – Saturn 22-3 and Rahu 5-47; and Leo – the Moon 6-9 and the Sun 20-34.

2. 1861-9-15. Lagna—Sagittarius 20-30 with Rahu 18-30; Capricorn – the Moon 18-54; Leo – Jupiter 18-00, Saturn 22-00 and Mars 25-30; Virgo – the Sun 0-50 and Mercury 7-45; and Libra – Venus 5-30.

3. 1937-7-16. Lagna—Cancer 29-20 with the Sun 0-9 and Mercury 8-55; Libra – the Moon 8-1 and Venus 28-48; Sagittarius – Jupiter ® 28-19; Pisces – Saturn 12-9; and Taurus – Venus 15-33 and Ketu 20-9.

4. 1938-10-2. Lagna—Leo 16-40 with Mars 22-19; Virgo – the Sun 18-8 and Mercury – 8-27; Libra – Venus 29-14 and Rahu 26 -41; Sagittarius – the Moon 20-1; Capricorn – Jupiter ® 29-54; and Pisces – Saturn ® 22-7

5. 1971-5-7. Lagna—Scorpio 22-28 with Jupiter ® 10-4; Capricorn – Mars 8-20 and Rahu 25-52; Pisces – Venus 22-26; Aries – Mercury 0-23 and the Sun 22-58; Taurus – Saturn 1-12; and Virgo – the Moon 20-48.

6. 1963-8-11. Lagna—Sagittarius 25-00 with Ketu 27-00; Capricorn – Saturn ® 26-00; Pisces – Jupiter ® 26-00; Aries – the Moon 14-2; Cancer – Venus 19-00 and the Sun 21-00; Leo – Mercury 18-00 and Virgo – Mars 16-30.

7. 1953-6-21. Lagna—Scorpio 5-00; Aries – Venus 21-21; Taurus – Jupiter 16-10; Gemini – the Sun 16-35 and Mars 11-47; Cancer – Mercury 1-45 and Ketu 10-12; and Virgo – Saturn ® 27-00 and the Moon 25-36.

8. 1896-8-28. Lagna—Leo 11-24 with the Sun 13-40, Jupiter 1-7 and Venus 28-20; Virgo – Mercury 7-3; Libra – Saturn 21-26; Aquarius – Rahu 6-8; Aries – the Moon 16-33; and Taurus – Mars 15-16.

9. 1927-2-28. Lagna—Aries 2; Taurus – Mars 10-21; Scorpio – Saturn 14-34; Sagittarius – the Moon 25-17 and Ketu 11-0; Aquarius – the Sun 15-40 and Jupiter 16-37; and Pisces – Mercury 3-12 and Venus 9-7.

10. 1914-7-8. Lagna—Virgo 5-20; Capricorn – the Moon 0-25 and Jupiter 28-35; Gemini – the Sun 22-20 and Saturn 2-9; Cancer – Mercury ® 5-42 and Venus 28-30; Leo – Mars 14-30 and Ketu 15-56.

11. 1950-3-3. Lagna—Cancer 20-29 with Venus 25-4; Leo – the Sun 16-42 and Saturn 27-52; Virgo – Mercury 9-11 and Ketu 5-9; Libra – Mars 20-25; Aquarius – Jupiter ® 8-19; and Aries – the Moon 28-53.

(Courtesy: The Astrological Magazine, January, 1990)

Dear Sandhu ji & readers,

I do not agree even with the now modified conclusion (dated 4the December, 2008) of Sh Sandhu ji, that :

"....if the planet is weak and combust then it denies its significations ,which may be any one of the total or all of them in extreme cases."

Even in extreme cases- what so ever- all the significances of a combust & worst afflicted planet can not be lost.

CAN ANY BODY CITE ANY HOROSCOPE WHERE A NATIVE HAS LOST ALL THE SIGNIFICANCES OF ANY PLANET- EVEN IF THE PLANET IS FULLY COMBUST AND THE WORST AFFLICTED, or EVEN OTHERWISE PLACED.

The word "ALL" must be very very carefully used in predictions. I have not comne accross any dictium in any treatise where the word "ALL" has been used, especiallly to convey "total" of "full" or 100 %.

In some treatises the word "death" has been used as the result / effect. But if one carefully reads the meaning of "death" mentioned therein, there are 10 stages / effects which are death-like. The author never means that the effect shall be only "death", meaning end of life.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to

Dear VK JI,

once again you have raised a very relevant Query based on the light of your understanding and knowledge of astrology , my plea once again remains the same ,and as such i have not modified my opinion but am stating the same, you are well aware of the fact that a single planet on its own cannot destroy all significations even if its combust because of other complexties like placement,aspect,relationships etc, what i mean to say is you dont loose the full working of a hand even if you loose a finger partially or wholly. I may be wrong in belief but thats what my guru has told me, unfortunately i have lost all my data due to a computer crash as such i cannot cite an example as on date.

Regards

J.s.sandhu

Dear Sandhu ji & readers,

I do not agree even with the now modified conclusion (dated 4the December, 2008) of Sh Sandhu ji, that :

"....if the planet is weak and combust then it denies its significations ,which may be any one of the total or all of them in extreme cases."

Even in extreme cases- what so ever- all the significances of a combust & worst afflicted planet can not be lost.

CAN ANY BODY CITE ANY HOROSCOPE WHERE A NATIVE HAS LOST ALL THE SIGNIFICANCES OF ANY PLANET- EVEN IF THE PLANET IS FULLY COMBUST AND THE WORST AFFLICTED, or EVEN OTHERWISE PLACED.

The word "ALL" must be very very carefully used in predictions. I have not comne accross any dictium in any treatise where the word "ALL" has been used, especiallly to convey "total" of "full" or 100 %.

In some treatises the word "death" has been used as the result / effect. But if one carefully reads the meaning of "death" mentioned therein, there are 10 stages / effects which are death-like. The author never means that the effect shall be only "death", meaning end of life.

… V K Shridhar

-

Log on to