IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
MikeMalaysia

Should I go with ISKCON or Gaudiya Math?

Rate this topic

I am a devotee of Lord Krishna and I have been going to an ISKCON temple, and attending Bhagavad-Gita classes run by ISKCON devotees for a few months. I have decided that I want to be a Gaudiya Vaishnava, and that this is the spiritual path that I want to follow.

However, tonight I visited a Gaudiya Math Temple. While it wasn't as big or as opulent as the ISKCON temple, and while their kirtan wasn't as long, I liked it. Apparently Narayana Maharaja is coming to Malaysia in 3 months time or so, and I would like to meet him.

From those on this forum who are either Gaudiya Vaishnavas (ISKCON, Gaudiya Math, Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math etc), what would your advice be? Join ISKCON, who requires 16 rounds a day for initiation, which I don't know if I could do, or go with Gaudiya Math, who are less rigid and set in stone on initiation requirements?

Hare Krishna!

I am a devotee of Lord Krishna and I have been going to an ISKCON temple, and attending Bhagavad-Gita classes run by ISKCON devotees for a few months. I have decided that I want to be a Gaudiya Vaishnava, and that this is the spiritual path that I want to follow.

However, tonight I visited a Gaudiya Math Temple. While it wasn't as big or as opulent as the ISKCON temple, and while their kirtan wasn't as long, I liked it. Apparently Narayana Maharaja is coming to Malaysia in 3 months time or so, and I would like to meet him.

From those on this forum who are either Gaudiya Vaishnavas (ISKCON, Gaudiya Math, Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math etc), what would your advice be? Join ISKCON, who requires 16 rounds a day for initiation, which I don't know if I could do, or go with Gaudiya Math, who are less rigid and set in stone on initiation requirements?

Hare Krishna!

Guess you have to think more practical. Spiritual life doesnt only mean to chant 16 rounds, it means primarily sadhu-sanga. Srila Narayana Maharaja will visit may be once a year for 3-4 days.

The rest of the year you need nice sanga with devotees to whom you can have the best relationship. Where do you want to see yourself in ten years? You have to develop either a Krsna centered household or develop in a profession that goes together with the path of bhakti.

Becoming initiated is quite easy, but how to successfully develop your service - occupational career - in the long run should be of import.

Where do think you get better support?

Maybe keep investigating for a while. If you can get some feeling where you can be best applied in service mood, where serving mood can awaken in you to deep levels - then maybe that would be the best place to go.

It is all about service in my opinion. And not being served.

Hope this helps.

y.s.

Is the goal of your life getting "inititated," or becoming Krishna conscious? If it's the former, by all means show up at the Narayana Maharaja festival and pick up a name. I've seen many people get intiated by him with little or no apparent impression on their spiritual lives, even after many years.

Becoming Krishna conscious means developing an attitude of service, which is the basis of all the bhavas of Vraja. What you need is to find association that awakens that setvice attitude in your heart and inspires you to take up sadhana in a way that will cultivate that attitude. I don't know if that's likely to happen among the ISKCON devotees where you are, and I don't know if there are followers of NM who can do that for you there. But I'm with Bija--don't be in a hurry, and don't think it's about you. It's about making the most substantial connection with Lord Chaitanya. Take your time, be honest and introspective, find good company, and have fun.

Is there any way you can visit both Temples for the time being? If Srila Narayana Maharaja is coming to visit in a few months, I would suggest that you go and have his darshan and hear his classes. In the meantime, do whatever you can as far as reading, chanting, praying, and serving. Krsna will reveal the answer to you in your heart. Hare Krsna!

Usually we are drawn to the place where we feel the most nourished and fulfilled within. Then there is the question though, of what is it inside of us that we actually want to be nourished. If we are introspective and look deep inside of ourselves, with a willingness to confront our own motivation behind the endeavors we make, we will be able to see what is truly our necessity and where that purpose can be fulfilled. What we are on the inside, ultimately reflects outside of us in our environment with the people we associate with, hence we create our own world/association by our very state of consciousness and desire.

If one truly desires to know their relationship with Sri Gaura Nityananda, and Sri Sri Radha Krsna, then the Lord within the heart (Paramatma), will guide one to the topmost level of Guru (an Uttama adhikari). If you do not really want exclusive devotion or prema-bhakti for Sri Radha Krsna, then it is something else that you want to be nourished either subtle or gross (such as acceptance, recognition, fame, adoration, material relationships, intellectual stimulation, wealth etc.). There are many types of devotees and all sorts of Gurus who can fulfill these desires. It is really up to you to decide whether or not you want a Spiritual Master who will give you the highest most rare gift of pure loving devotion (prema-bhakti) for Sri Sri Radha-Krsna.

Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayan Goswami Maharaja is not an ordinary personality. If you are fortunate to have the opportunity to meet him, then by all means you should take this very rare, and perhaps only chance that you will get. The strength of having an empowered personality as Guru, who is an eternal associate of Sri Radha-Krsna, can genuinly nourish one at every moment. Such strength (bala) is given by the support of such a Guru. However, it is very rare to receive even a small connection with such a personality. Only after sincere hankering for advancement in bhakti will Sri Krsna lead a person to His very near and dear servant - the pure devotee of the Lord.

Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayan Maharaj wants help those who are eager to be Krsna-Consciousness and who want to develop pure love for Sri Sri Radha Krsna. Those of his disciples who actually follow his instructions and take shelter of him, advance very quickly on the path of bhakti.

If one is sincere in this process of bhakti-yoga, they will receive such a Guru and will be empowered by him to dedicate at least 16 rounds of chanting the Hare Krsna Maha-mantra each day. It is natural to feel a lack of determination and strength to chant 16 rounds every day without this. Especially we will find that our chanting becomes more tasteful and easier when we have the intimate guidance of a pure devotee of the Lord and take initiation from him. However, we must show our sincerity and gratitude to the Lord by making a decision to gradually increase our chanting and devotion. It is the quality of the chanting that should be given more focus than the quantity. Not to say that it's not important to chant a regular number of rounds.

Srila Narayan Maharaja wants his disciples to be chanting at least 16 rounds before getting second initiation (diksa). In the beginning (harinam inititation) he will advice the disciple to chant a certain number of rounds according to their capacity with the aim of increasing them. He wants that we should learn to chant with complete attention. It is Krsna whom we are inviting to come into our hearts by calling His name, and he says that "we should chant with love and affection, having so much honour and regard". We should be chanting while being conscious of WHO it is that we are calling out to - searching for the Lord in our heart.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your search for pure bhakti. There are many groups of sincere devotees in the world no matter what external institution they may be joined to. We are all part of the one family of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Sometimes you may find help from the disciples of Srila Narayan Maharaj, sometimes from the disciples of Srila Prabhupada, or sometimes from the disciples of Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Maharaja (Sri Chaitanya Saraswat Math), or any of the other pure Guru's who have graced the Western world with pure transcendental wisdom. We should not restrict ourselves with the consciousness of joining a particular group or 'institution', as we are all Gaudiya Vaishnavas.

Is the goal of your life getting "inititated," or becoming Krishna conscious? If it's the former, by all means show up at the Narayana Maharaja festival and pick up a name.

Good point. I've been to Delhi in Narayana Maharaja Matha, tried to see Maharaja, but was told his 'resting'. Probably not easy to see 1 on 1, I would have forced that issue but was knacked with all my traveling, didn't have the energy, same happened with my Gurudeva Matha (Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Maharaja), you have to really FORCE yourself and see your Guru or 'A' spiritual master. You feel bad at first, but who cares, it's your life. I think you should see Narayana Maharaja personally, probably easier if you want to get initiated, I didn't want to as I am already, I could have lied:eek2:, its all good.:)

Take initiation of Sat Guru is the most important limb of bhakti, that is why Srila Rupa Goswami reffers to it in Bhaktirasamrita Sindhu as the 1st, 2,nd and 3rth things to do on the beginning... 1. find Sri Guru, 2. take initiation 3. serve him and take instructions...

without Sat Guru, no possible to go on on the rest of the limbs of bhakti, what to talk about Krsna Consciusnes or Prema... that is not possible...

About to be 1-1 with Him, ... Sat Guru is more intimate than soul... He lives with us forever , he has many forms: 1-Bhagavan, 2-caityaguru- 3-His own Body- 4-his intructions, 5- His bonafide disciples... then you can be 1-1 with him whenever and ever.

Abour rounds, is not about 1, 4 or 16, is about, chanting pure nama constantly forever... Srila Prabhupad Bhaktisidhanta said in his upadesavali that one who chatn less than 64 rounds is consdered to be fallen. then, our aim in rouds is... all the time forever, but we must start with something. 1, 4. 8, that only Sat Guru will tell you what is ok, and good for you. but aim, is always forever chant sudhanama.

Sadhu sanga is possible on the heart, not on body to body, so don´t mind if you will c Sat Guru once a year, or once or twice in life (like Srila Prabhpuada with Srila Prabhupada Sarasvati Thakur)

Srila Gour Govinda Swami said a beutiful thk for me: " only if you cry you will have Sat Guru" :)

Jay Srila Gurudeva

Enjoy your initiation, your sadhu sanga and vyaspuja festival there with my Yugacarya patitapavan Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Goswami Mj!

Guess you have to think more practical. Spiritual life doesnt only mean to chant 16 rounds, it means primarily sadhu-sanga. Srila Narayana Maharaja will visit may be once a year for 3-4 days.

The rest of the year you need nice sanga with devotees to whom you can have the best relationship. Where do you want to see yourself in ten years? You have to develop either a Krsna centered household or develop in a profession that goes together with the path of bhakti.

Becoming initiated is quite easy, but how to successfully develop your service - occupational career - in the long run should be of import.

Where do think you get better support?

Yes..yes..

Guru should be one who has seen Krsna otherwise it is straight away fraud.

Now,frankly,we've no way to find out who has recieved prema bhakti.

That's why it is of utmost imporatance to beg in front of the lord for a prema bhakta...There is no alternative.

You have to cry.There is a verse in the Vedanta sutra...Crying is your only tool.

there is no other recourse...For that crying,you need to be intensely hungry for the attainment of God.

You cry when you come to know that you are powerless...weak...You become humble.

That's why you've to cry for the lord

This will come only with rupa dhyana(smarana) alongwith kirtan.

"yena kena prakarena manah krshnah niveshayet"-Gauranga Mahaprabhu.

Anyhow your mind should get attached to Sri Krsna.ANYHOW.

Mechanical Kirtan is dangerous.You will only get frustrated.

Thus..remember the lord.Cry for His mercy in the form of a Guru.That's all.

The lord Exclusively came for Prahlad from the pillar.Why won't He send you a prema Bhakta if He knows you are sincere in your MIND for Him?

Either path you choose will lead to the same end, but I would advise you to go with ISKCON

It's 'requirements' are more strict, but that is a good thing.

More austerity means more purification which means you will achieve the goal of all religions quicker. The more selfless sacrifice you perform for the sake of developing your love for Krsna, the more you captures Krsna's heart.

Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja:

And the instruction of guru is also guru. You'll get guru-krpa through his instructions, vani. One who is very, very eager and very, very inquisitive, prays to his spiritual master, "O my spiritual master, you have departed. You are not physically present, so I cannot understand. I am such an ignorant fool. I have no qualification. Though your instructions are there, I cannot understand what you have said. Please help me."

"So guru will also come, but not in the same form. He may come in the form of a sadhu, a very dear devotee, who is also very dear to your spiritual master. Through him this will be revealed. Doubts will be cleared. Through him you will be able to understand tattva, purport. You should think, "My guru is teaching me, he is speaking to me in this form." Don't think, "My guru is not here. He has departed. What shall I do?" Pray fervently to your spiritual master. He must help you. We have personal experience. We have been helped in this way.

well im searching too , but iskcon - best institution as far as where u can serve and associate

lots of negative things about iskcon

ive looked everywhere - audarya , gaudiya , srcsm,iskcon , not sure yet

but all my mates are iskcon so i suppose iskcon

well im searching too , but iskcon - best institution as far as where u can serve and associate

lots of negative things about iskcon

ive looked everywhere - audarya , gaudiya , srcsm,iskcon , not sure yet

but all my mates are iskcon so i suppose iskcon

Origins: Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselvs off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

I thought Gaudiya Math would be more rigid on chanting?

Lord Chaitanya wanted people to chant 64 rounds. ISKCON chants only 16 because people early on said that 64 rounds were alot. Prabhupada then dropped it to 32, and then finally 16, but that was his limit.

Anyway, best to start chanting the Maha-Mantra, and take your time. Prabhupada met BhaktiSiddhanta Maharaja early on, but didn't surrender to him until several years later.

From my understanding in the Gaudiya Matha there is no limit to how much we should chant nor is there any obligation on how much we should chant. However the ideal number of rounds to chant is 64 as people have already said.

However, as long as we are chanting some number that is good. Some people chant 30 rounds, some chant 20, and some chant 16. Everyone has their own base number of rounds though, for example my friend's base number is 16 rounds but there are days when he spends a few hours chanting and so will complete 50 odd rounds. Of course there are also many who carry around with them their japa bags always and so are constantly chanting.

It is hard in the Gaudiya Math in the sense that it requires a lot of self- motivation, it is certainly not an ideal place for lazy persons. But I guess you could get trained up there eventually. Iskcon is nice in the sense that everyone must complete their daily duties, and thus people are steady in their sadhana. Though personally however, I prefer the matha.

Origins: Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselvs off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

Is this a fact? How appropriate, lol.

I have to happily agree with Theist and who ever else also said follow the heart. This what I have done for 55 out of 60 yrs. Follow the heart and be true to yourself. Ask for the truth, the HOLE truth, and NOTHING but the truth and you will not go wrong. I found the Gita in a book store. Got preminently hooked, then found ISKCON. But they had little effect on me spiritually, that was always between me, Krsna and Guru.

RCB

<!--mstheme-->

Organized Religion

by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur

Sri Krishna manifests His eternal birth, the pure cognitive essence of the serving soul who is located above all mundane limitations. King Kamsa [the demon king who wanted to kill Lord Krishna] is the typical empiricist, ever on the lookout for the appearance of the truth for the purpose of suppressing Him before He has time to develop. This is no exaggeration of the real connotation of the consistent empiric position. The materialist has a natural repugnance for the transcendent. He is disposed to link that faith in the incomprehensible is the parent of dogmatism and hypocrisy in the guise of religion. He is also equally under the delusion that there is no real dividing line between the material and the spiritual. He is strengthened in his delusion by the interpretation of scriptures by persons who are like-minded with himself. This includes all the lexicographic interpreters.

The lexicographical interpretation is upheld by Kamsa as the real scientific explanation of the scriptures, and is perfectly in keeping with his dread of and aversion for the transcendental. These lexicographical interpreters are employed by Kamsa in putting down the first suspected appearance of any genuine faith in the transcendental. King Kamsa knows very well that if the faith in the transcendental is once allowed to grow it is sure to upset all his empiric prospects.

There is historical ground for such misgivings. Accordingly if the empiric domination is to be preserved in tact it would be necessary not to lose a moment to put down the transcendental heresy the instant it threatens to make its appearance in earnest. King Kamsa, acting on this traditional fear, is never slow to take the scientific precaution of deputing empiric teachers of the scriptures, backed by the resources of dictionary and grammar and all empiric subtleties to put down, by the show of specious arguments based on hypothetical principles, the true interpretation of the eternal religion revealed by the scriptures.

Kamsa is strongly persuaded that faith in the transcendental can be effectively put down by empiricism if prompt and decisive measures are adopted at the very outset. He attributes the failure of atheism in the past to the neglect of the adoption of such measures before the theistic fallacy has had time to spread among the fanatical masses.

But Kamsa is found to count without his host. When Krishna is born, He is found to be able to upset all sinister designs against those who are apprized by Himself of His advent. The apparently causeless faith displayed by persons irrespective of age, sex and condition may confound all rabid empiricists who are on principle adverse to the Absolute Truth Whose appearance is utterly incompatible with the domination of empiricism.

But no adverse efforts of the empiricists whose rule seems till then to be perfectly well-established over the minds of the deluded souls of this world can dissuade any person from exclusively following the Truth when He actually manifests His birth in the pure cognitive essence of the soul.

Putana [the demoness who tried to kill Krishna] is the slayer of all infants. The baby, when he or she comes out of the mother's womb, falls at once into the hands of the pseudo-teachers of religion. These teachers are successful in forestalling the attempts of the good preceptor whose help is never sought by the atheists of this world at the baptism of their babies. This is ensured by the arrangements of all established churches of the world. They have been successful only in supplying watchful Putanas for effecting the spiritual destruction of persons from the moment of their birth with cooperation of their worldly parents. No human contrivance can prevent these Putanas from obtaining possession of their pulpits. This is due to the general prevalence of atheistic disposition in the people of this world.

The church that has the best chance of survival in this damned world is that of atheism under the convenient guise of theism. The churches have always proved the staunchest upholders of the grossest form of worldliness from which even the worst of non-ecclesiastical criminals are found to recoil.

It is not from any deliberate opposition to the ordained clergy that these observations are made. The original purpose of the established churches of the world may not always be objectionable. But no stable religious arrangement for instructing the masses has yet been successful. The Supreme Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, in pursuance of the teachings of the scriptures enjoins all absence of conventionalism for the teachers of the eternal religion. It does not follow that the mechanical adoption of the unconventional life by any person will make him a fit teacher of religion. Regulation is necessary for controlling the inherent worldliness of conditioned souls.

But no mechanical regulation has any value, even for such a purpose. The bona-fide teacher of religion is neither any product of, nor the favourer of, any mechanical system. In his hands no system has likewise the chance of denigrating into a lifeless arrangement. The mere pursuit of fixed doctrines and fixed liturgies cannot hold a person to the true spirit of doctrine or liturgy.

The idea of an organized church in an intelligible form, indeed, marks the close of the living spiritual movement. The great ecclesiastical establishments are the dikes and dams to retain the current that cannot be held by any such contrivances. They, indeed, indicate a desire on the part of the masses to exploit a spiritual movement for their own purpose. They also unmistakably indicate the end of the absolute and unconventional guidance of the bona-fide spiritual teacher. The people of this world understand preventive systems, they have no idea at all of the unprevented positive eternal life. Neither can there be any earthy contrivance for the permanent preservation of the life eternal on this mundane plane on the popular scale.

Those are, therefore, greatly mistaken who are disposed to look forward to the amelioration of the worldly state in any worldly sense from the worldly success of any really spiritual movement. It is these worldly expectants who become the patrons of the mischievous race of the pseudo-teachers of religion, the Putanas, whose congenial function is to stifle the theistic disposition at the very moment of its suspected appearance. But the theistic disposition can never be stifled by the efforts of those Putanas. The Putanas have power only over the atheist. It is a thankless but salutary task which they perform for the benefit of their unwilling victims.

But as soon as theistic disposition proper makes its appearance in the pure cognitive essence of the awakened soul, the Putanas are decisively silenced at the very earliest stage of their encounter with the new-born Krishna. The would-be slayer of herself slain. This is the reward of the negative services that the Putanas unwittingly render to the cause of theism by strangling all hypocritical demonstrations against their own hypocrisy.

But Putana does not at all like to receive her reward in only form which involves the total destruction of her wrong personality. King Kamsa also does not like to lose the services of the most trusted of his agents. The effective silencing of the whole race of pseudo-teachers of religion is the first clear indication of the appearance of the Absolute on the mundane plane. The bona-fide teacher of the Absolute, heralds the Advent of Krishna by his uncompromising campaign against the pseudo-teachers of religion.

<nobr></nobr><!--webbot bot="Navigation" endspan i-checksum="39930" -->

<!--mstheme-->

Firstly, I do hope the author of the thread has used his opportunity to see Srila Narayana Maharaja in Malaysia. I hope also that Krishna has cleared his doubts by now and the issue is now resolved.

Many wonderful answers have been given here also..

I would also like to share a thought or two on this.

Many devotees have said that Guru is the one, who gives us Krishna. So, he must be strongly connected to Krishna himself in order to be able to do that. It's like in any other field we want to associate with the highest expert in that field, because we know thus we will get the most knowledge and inspiration.

From what I can see I think that more and more ISKCON devotees are taking shelter of Srila Narayana Maharaja. Not so many go from Gaudiya Math to ISKCON for inspiration. This is my observation though. I also notice that the trend is even stronger amongst the experienced devotees, who have been chanting for 30-40 years. So this tells me that they believe Srila Narayana Maharaja can give them a very good association. I also think that many younger devotees feel pretty good in ISKCON. At least it was definitely so in my country (Russia) 15 or 20 years ago. That is because in ISKCON there may be some more opportunities for being engaged in the seva, like preaching. Some can say that this is because in many places ISKCON is better orginized. But I also think that this is a special mercy of Srila Prabhupada. I hope it contuniues to flow. But again, if you are sincere, there is absolutely NO NEED to worry about opportunity for seva! You will be totally engaged anywhere! :) Srila Prabhupada, Lord Nityananda and all Guru-parampara don't bless only ISKCON devotees with seva! :) Their mercy is available to everyone.

Kirtans.. yeh also. ISKCON devotees generally do more kirtans. :)

So, as someone has said, both paths ultimately lead to one destination.

I am a devotee of Lord Krishna...

I have decided that I want to be a Gaudiya Vaishnava, and that this is the spiritual path that I want to follow.

So, you want to worship Krishna with love. Now it is also said in the scriptures that Guru is a condensed manifestation of mercy of one's Ishthadeva (worshipable Lord). If Guru manifests in one's life this is a sure sign that Krishna has heard, recognized and in this way responded to one's prayers and has seen and tasted (appreciated) one's attitude.

So, it's a very significant happening in one's life. It's like a hand-shake from Krishna. :) That's not only a 'momentarily' action from Krishna though. Through Guru Krishna personally and individually guides us until we meet Him personally. This is why it is a 'condensed mercy'. The only way to make it come faster is, as many have advised, sincerely crying and praying to Krishna to hear you. It should be fairly easy and natural for you though, as you have said you already developed some faith in Krishna. Now if you wholeheartedly pray that Your Krishna accepts you and gives you 'His condensed mercy', Krishna will send you Your Guru. No doubt. It has perfectly worked this way for billions fortunate souls. :) Once you have a Guru you will naturally embrace his entourage (society).

My first instinct upon reading the title was to say ISKCON because of the potency of the founder acarya, Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Swami. But Ive been in exile for 35 years, so this maybe wouldnt be good advice. So, my talks with Sriman Bahudaka das shortly before he untimely passed away to be in the real Narada Muni road show may be helpful. There are ISKCON temples that are sublime, just like the ol days, but there are some that one would be better off avoiding in favor of a good reefer. I dont know your local area, but I do know some ISKCON seniors who are quite reputable. Im reluctant to post their names, because in this age of quarrel, some will surely say my recommendation is bogus for some reason or other.

My advice is rather than decide which temple school to enter, refer instead to Science of Self Realization, second chapter, by Srila Prabhupada, where he describes how one should study a guru to see if he is one you can surrender to. If I was starting out with the knowledge of persons that I have over forty years of experiance, Id opt and study the missions of Sri Jayadwaita Swami, Srila Paramadwaiti Swami, Sri Tripourari Swami, Sri Narayana Swami, among others. When selecting a potential guru, one must be certain and never take shortcuts. You dont marrty a pretty girl you see walking down the street because of the impression she leaves, nor do you mnarry one who is said to be chaste, intelligent. etc.

Serious business, and it is not "until death do we part", because ones relationship with guru is beyond birth anbd death.

Good luck, and as the other advised, Guru is Chaitaguru, the lord of the Heart, Sri Nityananda Prabhu, who will empower the person he decides is best for you. Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa