IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
PlatosGhost

New to Puja: Questions

Rate this topic

I recently went to a friend's wedding in Delhi, and attended a puja in her family's home. I was very moved by the ceremony, and have been learning many things about it. However, I have some questions:

What types of herbs were thrown into the fire? What do they represent?

At the end, they tied a red thread around my wrist. What is this thread called, and what does it mean?

I was told to wear the thread until it falls off, and place it under a tree. Why a tree? I remember they said that by so doing, it would spread something from the puja - but I do not remember what.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

I recently went to a friend's wedding in Delhi, and attended a puja in her family's home. I was very moved by the ceremony, and have been learning many things about it. However, I have some questions:

What types of herbs were thrown into the fire? What do they represent?

At the end, they tied a red thread around my wrist. What is this thread called, and what does it mean?

The herbs which were thrown into the fire is called a Samagri (mixture of many herbs) and the red thread is called as Mouli / Kalava.

I think what you feel is 'bakthi' - devotion to worship God, but you're trying to 'do' something to feel occupied and know that you're doing something which would please God. What you feel is a good thing, but why you want to buy stuffs and throw it into fire???

Good question - why to tie a thread in hand and then place it under a tree? One of those meaningless ritual to fool yourself and make you think you're doing something 'spiritual' and not to grow in knowing more on what you really want to know.