IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
JustRish

Best Translation of Bhagavad Gita...Can you give me the title of one?

Rate this topic

"Srimad Bhagavad Gita" by Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja, it features the commentary of himself as well as that of Vishvanatha Chakravarti Thakura. You might want to look into that edition.

It is available for online reading - click here. This version has side by side comparison with the Gita As It Is.

The complete Vani Base (with many books http://nitaaiveda.com ) including that Gita can be downloaded here: http://nitaaiveda.com/veda.zip

One of my favorite translations of Bhagavad Gita (exquisitely beautiful) is

called The Hidden Treasure of the Sweet Absolute downloadable here:

http://mybloop.com/go/l06V1D

has anyone heard of the Gita found in Bali or Farrukhabad? it is supposedly the original verses and not nearly as long as those added to it afterward. it's written about in the book 'gita as it was' by sinha, though this person is an athiest from what i can tell and i don't trust his conclusions at all... just curious if anyone else had heard about these other two versions and their lengths...

The trouble is that it is hard to translate without imposing a particular interpretation from one school of Hindu thought. This is certainly the case with Prabhupada's version. Robert Zaehner tries to be as literal as possible and gives explanation of alternative meanings that are possible, but his English is sometimes harder to understand than the Sanskrit.

Just see the quagmire:

"...but his English is sometimes harder to understand than the Sanskrit ...

[and we don't yet have a vocabulary to refer to

--except for Prabhupada's 18,000 + 700 + many other additional Sanskrit verses

translated word-for-word into english for our edification]

... trouble is that it is hard to translate without imposing a particular interpretation ...

.............................................................................................................

A Sanskrit Vocabulary is a terrible thing to waste.

Lack of a Sanskrit Vocabulary is due to fiddling about all day--so get a move on!

oye vey,

Bhaktajan

I already have Bhagavad Gita As It Is, but I want to know if there is another good edition out there. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Just read the Bhagavad Gita in its original form (not translation but read the transliteration) again and again. You yourself will be the best translator each time you go through it. What others tell may not be convincing to you but when you find the answers for yourself, it will be more convincing.

Just read the Bhagavad Gita in its original form (not translation but read the transliteration) again and again. You yourself will be the best translator each time you go through it. What others tell may not be convincing to you but when you find the answers for yourself, it will be more convincing.

Satya vachan.

True.

**"Just read your own Tax-Accountant's Audit Documents in its original form (not translation but read the transliteration) again and again. You yourself will be the best translator each time you go through it. What others tell may not be convincing to you but when you find the answers for yourself, it will be more convincing."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is not an absolute true nor universally true rule. As you can see I substituted another word for "Bhagavad-gita".

**Why would such a rule-of-thumb advise be effective, good, and true in the highest pursuits of mortality — when, as you can read, it does not apply to simple—[?] mundane rules & laws.

We must receive knowledge from honest authorities—lest we be cheated due to our past karma come back around to us.

Only by enlisting in the service do we earn wisdom of the lineage of sages. Book knowledge teaches us the elementary etiquette to receive an audience with higher authorites.

(The Song Celestial) The Bhagavad Gita by Sir Edwin Arnold

Excerpts from

M. K. Gandhi's - AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY OR The story of my experiments with truth

TRANSLATED FROM THE GUJARATI

BY MAHADEV DESAI

Chapter 20

ACQUAINTANCE WITH RELIGIONS

"...I have read almost all the English translations of it, and I regard Sir Edwin Arnold's as the best. He has been faithful to the text, and yet it does not read like a translation."

need i say more :)