IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Pure Love For All Forms OF God

Rate this topic

A big block in my spiritual path has been the concept of Ishta-deva. I was not born into a Hindu family nor was I around it at all growing up, so being a recent convertee, some things confuse me. I can say that I cannot pick one form of God as my Ishta-deva. I love reading about Shiva, Krishna, Kali, Hanuman, Rama, Ganesha, Narasimha. I thought Iwas being foolish about the topic until I discovered Advaita Vedanta, it seems to be more my liking.

Anyway the point of the post is I feel very attracted to Bhakti and chanting the names of God. Can I chant a different mantra each day or so. I am very much attracted to the Mahamantra, Om Namah Sivaya, Om Gom Ganapati and so on. Tell me i'm not being silly guys:pray:

A big block in my spiritual path has been the concept of Ishta-deva. I was not born into a Hindu family nor was I around it at all growing up, so being a recent convertee, some things confuse me. I can say that I cannot pick one form of God as my Ishta-deva. I love reading about Shiva, Krishna, Kali, Hanuman, Rama, Ganesha, Narasimha. I thought Iwas being foolish about the topic until I discovered Advaita Vedanta, it seems to be more my liking.

Anyway the point of the post is I feel very attracted to Bhakti and chanting the names of God. Can I chant a different mantra each day or so. I am very much attracted to the Mahamantra, Om Namah Sivaya, Om Gom Ganapati and so on. Tell me i'm not being silly guys:pray:

Thank you for posting your query, one of the technical analysts form Hare Krishna Pvt. Ltd. will be with you shortly. :)

Mikey

Namaste

Read these two paragraphs from a blog entry that I wrote a couple of days ago:

Though the Rigveda and the other Vedas consist of hymns that appear to be in favor of polytheism, passage 1:164:46 of the Rigveda says in its original language called Sanskrit: ekam sat viprah bahudha vadanti. Ralph Griffith translated this as "To what is One, sages give many a title." The line of text can also be translated as "there is One (ekam) True Being/Existence (sat) which the Sages (viprah) in Many Ways (bahudha) Explain (vadanti)." The rest of the passage then lists three of the deities that the Vedas contain hymns of; Agni, Yama, and Matarisvan.

Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, a Hindu saint and mystic from the 1800s, said this concerning what water is called in different languages: "Suppose someone says that the thing is not jal but pani, or that it is not pani but water, or that it is not water but jal, it would indeed be ridiculous." He used this to explain what the Rigveda teaches concerning the Supreme Reality being known in many ways.

The Katha Upanishad reveals to us in passage 1:3:15 that the Self is beyond name and form and that it is not conditioned by space-time. In passages 6:1:4-6 of the Chandogya Upanishad it is taught with imagery that all things, though they appear to have form, are in essense Brahman.

The passage from Katha teaches us that God is not really named Ganesha, Krishna, Kali, etc and that it doesn't even have their form. Name and form is a product of space-time. God/Brahman is eternal, has existed before space-time, and will still exist when space-time is gone.

The passage from Chandogya is saying that you, me, and all other beings and things are in essence Brahman. We can conclude that similarly Brahman is what exactly Krishna, Ganesha, Kali, etc really are. Katha 2:2:10 says that Brahman takes on the shape of whatever it is in. We can also conclude that therefore Brahman similarly can take on the form of any ishta-deva that the individual has attraction to.

Based on what I have read about your temperments, you may want to do namam-smarana; remembrance of the names. Just about every god/dess has 108 names. Check out the names of Shiva, Krishna, Ganesha, etc and write down the ones that appeal to you most. Importantly, you should try to find out how they are pronounced. However you wish to do the routine, reflect on the names (especially the sounds of the names) while sitting in meditation and whenever doing more active things. Reflect on and remember the names of your favorite gods and/or goddesses while knowing that these names (even of different gods) are names of only one truth that lies within your heart and contains all existence that we know. Fall in love with it through its lovely names. Eventually you will be consumed in the fire of that one truth and you will Realize what it is that you are seeking. Duality will be no more and you will have attained the supreme goal.

I wish you well on your path. :)

Thank you for posting your query,

one of the technical analysts form Hare Krishna Pvt. Ltd.

will be with you shortly. :)

Now that's transcendental humor.

Hey Mikey!

In your heart region is "Paramatma" --he looks like Vishnu.

There is very detailed descriptions . . .

It is the location where the soul is also located,

from whence our individual body's

consciousness soul first peeks out at the

greater world beyond the *gates of our

Cathedrel-Sala-Temple-Workshop-MPU-Ego Center Source-Human Body.

[*There are (9) gates]

ARJ,

I want to apollogize/ammend some old statement I made:

Shankaracraya was born approx 506BC [correct?] --but I had stated that he was born approx 1100 AD.

[My problem now is that I have the approx era of 1100 AD in my mind still--as the era when Buddism was overtaken by Shankaracraya's teachings --is that time line link in my mind correct?]

your servant of the servant of Hare Krishna Pvt. Ltd. Int'l,

Bhaktjan

You are on the right path and don't let any Hare Krishna follower tell you otherwise, for they don't know about this. Chant different names. Durga, Kali, Ganesha, Rama, Krishna, Hanuman, Saraswati and be happy.

You are on the right path and don't let any Hare Krishna follower tell you otherwise, for they don't know about this. Chant different names. Durga, Kali, Ganesha, Rama, Krishna, Hanuman, Saraswati and be happy.

Well said.

Mikey as well as all other people who are interested in finding their place in Sanatana Dharma should never forget that the oldest scripture we have (possibly even for the entire planet) teaches this very thing. There is one truth but the sages explain it in many ways. Yesterday they called it Agni, Yama, Indra, etc, but today we know it as Vishnu, Krishna, Rama, Ganesha, Shiva, Kali, Durga, Christ, Allah, al-Haqq, Yehowah, and so on. Indeed, chant and be happy. :)

Let us also never forget that each person is entitled to believe whatever resonates with their heart and is agreeable with their being. Bhaktajan said that in the heart is the Paramatma and it has the form of Vishnu (and I assume the four-armed Vishnu standing and holding conch, chakra, lotus, and mace). And who am I to say that this is wrong? I think he's right, just as I also believe that the Paramatma in the heart can have the form of any ishta-deva. But let's not debate; argument is not positive and it does not contribute to bringing us to the Supreme Goal. :)

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Let us not argue --leave that to professional politicians. They will tell us, by God, when constription begins!

Let us read the daily tabloids and refresh our selves in the local football scores.

Nothing is absolute? It is all according to our own imaginative options?

Move to India. Go live in India. Stay in India. Don't seek enjoyments. Live in a Hut. That would be the best would it not.

Is some one going to say something like, 'The quality of life is preferable elsewhere?', or 'The Standard of living is the state of the art elsewhere?'

There is a 'gold standard' and a 'standard of measurement' for all means of exchange and for all human expertations par excellance.

We all are chidren of God but God exist according to our perception of him?

Here is a comparison:

The Beautiful Women stands infront of two men.

One man is blind the other sees perfectly.

Let the blind man 'imagine the beauty'.

The goal is to see the Beauty.

The blind man is the loser and I guess it is best to keep him unaware of what he is missing--so that the Goal can be pursued without the burden of a blindman's woe.

Maybe it is best to leave the blind man to 'enjoy' his life without mentioning his disabilities.

We have our own home/own address/own spouse/own children/own job/own birth-certificate/own turn on the can/own moment of passing --so therefore we all have our own unique preference for a different Transcendent all mighty God(s) of different form? Makes sense that we are unique indiviualists especially when all that is left is some old history book making our passage.

Thank you for posting your query, one of the technical analysts form Hare Krishna Pvt. Ltd. will be with you shortly. :)by ARJ

Yes Indeed. Sorry I was late. Have been caught up in the re-wiring and technicality within the external 'search engine' of truth (for some time). I eventually found the 'plug-in' for quick launch! It took me right to the core and solved the problem!

Surprisingly all that the manual said is 'once you know yourself, all confusion will leave'. Infact I am grateful for that 'plug-in' for there is so much data held in this diverse networking.

Now that we know the 'truth' .....on with the cultivation!

Jaya Radhey!:)

You are on the right path and don't let any Hare Krishna follower tell you otherwise, for they don't know about this. radhamukunda

ps. RadhaMukunda says the technical support team does not know. I must ask him why oneday? To save future confusion with our free service I will recommend the 'plug-in'. As always as the service is free there is no refund. Not surprisingly all customers who us the plug-in are fully satisfied!;) The manual is helpful but does not compare to pressing the go - (vraj) button!

Tell me i'm not being silly guys:pray: by mikey

The search for truth and self-realization is far from silly. It shows the depth of a great soul. I think Krishna used the word mahatma.

Bg18.66

TEXT 66

sarva-dharmān parityajya

mām ekaṁ śaraṇaṁ vraja

ahaṁ tvāṁ sarva-pāpebhyo

mokṣayiṣyāmi mā śucaḥ

sarva-dharmān—all varieties of religion; parityajya—abandoning; mām—unto Me; ekam—only; śaraṇam—surrender; vraja—go; aham—I; tvām—you; sarva—all; pāpebhyaḥ—from sinful reactions; mokṣayiṣyāmi—deliver; mā—not; śucaḥ—worry.

TRANSLATION

Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear.

Agreed... though myself is from the Gaudya Vaishnava School of thought.

Everyone should be allowed to choose his her own path without any interference unless requested by the seeker when doubt arises.

Everyone should be allowed to choose his her own path without any interference unless requested by the seeker when doubt arises.

Yes I fully agree Amlesh. This is God's way.

Maybe some people have been offended by over enthusiastic Hare Krsna preachers, who are still learning their way in life. That is possibly why we get criticized. Our karma.

I had this short friendship with one man 4 years ago. An ex-member of a motor-cycle gang. A very tuff fellow who had reformed (somewhat).

He held hard feelings about Hare Krsna people, and oneday he told me why. Years ago he saw four young Hare Krsna monks surrounding a young man. Pressure-izing the young man. My friend could see the energy of that kind of play, and his temper rose.

So anyway, being a biker he joined the party;). Gave the young monks a good clipping over the ears, grabbed their mrdanga and booted it up the road like a football.:cool:

I am sure these young enthusiastic monks learnt a new game play after that encounter. One would hope so!

As far as my friend, he still did not like Hare Krsna people when I met him. Hopefully our short friendship softened those wounds somewhat.

Maybe the best thing for us Krsna devotees to do, is simply leave nice impressions. Otherwise our foolsihness can be far-reaching and cause many wounds.

By the way, my last few posts is my silly side. But inside sillyness is some important truth. Please look over my sarcasm.

I had one small realization while walking the streets today. All entities must be considered on a higher plane (if we wish to serve). The jivas bring pleasure to the Personification of Bliss who loves them so much. Serving them is a great priviledge.

Pure love for all forms of God, for us Vaisnavas, may simply mean love for all. Without that how can we love God? Love for the demigods, humans...to the smallest insect.

You are perfectly right bija...

But you were not silly; you can never be silly; you are very tolerant but at the same time you have explained that there is a difference between the pristine teaching and the behaviors and misinterpretations by some over enthusiastic {I would say neuron-less devotees}.

It is better sometime not to take the Lords Name in front of some people where you can expect abuse only.

Many a times people told me that Hare Krishna's are fanatics. I replied many are but there are some who are not.

Many don't want to even explore the doctrine because they have already seen some stupid behaviors of some devotees.

It is a pity.

I had one small realization while walking the streets today. All entities must be considered on a higher plane (if we wish to serve). The jivas bring pleasure to the Personification of Bliss who loves them so much. Serving them is a great priviledge.

Pure love for all forms of God, for us Vaisnavas, may simply mean love for all. Without that how can we love God? Love for the demigods, humans...to the smallest insect.

Superbly said...

Reminds me of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, "For one to be able to see the Supreme Absolute Spirit Face to Face, One has to Love the meanest being like oneself."

This is Vaishnavism...

Thanks bija...

To choose Ishta diva is to develop concentration when we recite HIS name. By one name of God you start doing your prayer & see the difference it makes in your life. You choose one of the names of God which gives you peace of mind & joy. God bless you!

Hari Bhol!

As an Ex Hare Krsna member, I understood that there is no much difference among Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu, Krsna, Rama, etc. God is one and at the same time infinite persons, this is non impersonal monism, but there is a hierarchy i.e there are the personalities of Godhead, but there is a supreme personality of Godhead, this supreme personality of godhead is so attractive that his very same expansion are attracted to Him. In this line Sri Krsna is that Supreme Person. There is no difference among them but at the same time there is (Acintya bedhabedha?). Even in the spiritual world exist variety even in the manifestation of God and with Krsna in his supreme planet it is the most wonderful relationship between God and us the jivas.

In nectar of devotion this is explained very well:

"Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī, after consulting various scriptures, has enumerated the transcendental qualities of the Lord as follows: (1) beautiful features of the entire body; (2) marked with all auspicious characteristics; (3) extremely pleasing; (4) effulgent; (5) strong; (6) ever youthful; (7) wonderful linguist; (8) truthful; (9) talks pleasingly; (10) fluent; (11) highly learned; (12) highly intelligent; (13) a genius; (14) artistic; (15) extremely clever; (16) expert; (17) grateful; (18) firmly determined; (19) an expert judge of time and circumstances; (20) sees and speaks on the authority of Vedas, or scriptures; (21) pure; (22) self-controlled; (23) steadfast; (24) forbearing; (25) forgiving; (26) grave; (27) self-satisfied; (28) possessing equilibrium; (29) magnanimous; (30) religious; (31) heroic; (32) compassionate; (33) respectful; (34) gentle; (35) liberal; (36) shy; (37) the protector of surrendered souls; (38) happy; (39) the well-wisher of devotees; (40) controlled by love; (41) all-auspicious; (42) most powerful; (43) all-famous; (44) popular; (45) partial to devotees; (46) very attractive to all women; (47) all-worshipable; (48) all-opulent; (49) all-honorable; (50) the supreme controller. The Supreme Personality of Godhead has all these fifty transcendental qualities in fullness as deep as the ocean. In other words, the extent of His qualities is inconceivable.

As parts and parcels of the Supreme Lord, the individual living entities can also possess all of these qualities in minute quantities, provided they become pure devotees of the Lord. In other words, all of the above transcendental qualities can be present in the devotees in minute quantity, whereas the qualities in fullness are always present in the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Besides these, there are other transcendental qualities which are described by Lord Śiva to Pārvatī in the Padma Purāṇa, and in the First Canto of Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam in connection with a conversation between the deity of the earth and the King of religion, Yamarāja. It is said therein, "Persons Who who are desirous of becoming great personalities must be decorated with the following qualities: truthfulness, cleanliness, mercy, perseverance, renunciation, peacefulness, simplicity, control of the senses, equilibrium of the mind, austerity, equality, forbearance, placidity, learning, knowledge, detachment, opulence, chivalry, influence, strength, memory, independence, tactfulness, luster, patience, kind-heartedness, ingenuity, gentility, mannerliness, determination, perfection in all knowledge, proper execution, possession of all objects of enjoyment, gravity, steadiness, faithfulness, fame, respectfulness and lack of false egotism." Persons who are desiring to become great souls cannot be without any of the above qualities, so we can know for certain that these qualities are found in Lord Kṛṣṇa, the supreme soul.

Besides all of the above-mentioned fifty qualities, Lord Kṛṣṇa possesses five more, which are sometimes partially manifested in the persons of Lord Brahmā or Lord Śiva. These transcendental qualities are as follows: (51) changeless; (52) all-cognizant; (53) ever fresh; (54) sac-cid-ānanda (possessing an eternal blissful body); (55) possessing all mystic perfections.

Kṛṣṇa also possesses five other qualities, which are manifest in the body of Nārāyaṇa, and they are listed as follows. (56) He has inconceivable potency. (57) Uncountable universes generate from His body. (58) He is the original source of all incarnations. (59) He is the giver of salvation to the enemies whom He kills. (60) He is the attractor of liberated souls. All these transcendental qualities are manifest wonderfully in the personal feature of Lord Kṛṣṇa.

Besides these sixty transcendental qualities, Kṛṣṇa has four more, which are not manifest even in the Nārāyaṇa form of Godhead, what to speak of the demigods or living entities. They are as follows. (61) He is the performer of wonderful varieties of pastimes (especially His childhood pastimes). (62) He is surrounded by devotees endowed with wonderful love of Godhead. (63) He can attract all living entities all over the universes by playing on His flute. (64) He has a wonderful excellence of beauty which cannot be rivaled anywhere in the creation.

Adding to the list these four exceptional qualities of Kṛṣṇa, it is to be understood that the aggregate number of qualities of Kṛṣṇa is sixty-four. Śrīla Rūpa Gosvāmī has attempted to give evidences from various scriptures about all sixty-four qualities present in the person of the Supreme Lord."