IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vaisnavapada

passociation of devotees

Rate this topic

Hi all, I have a few questions, which I hope you can help me solve. It is said that by sadhu-sanga, or saintly association, one can attain all perfection.

1.How does one properly "associate"?

2.How does one obtain that mentality to properly associate?

3.I see devotees who are so surrendered to their Guru(s). They have near no separate interest. I want that, too, but then I'm just not strong willed enough to submit myself like those devotees, although I know that I'll be happy forever if I were to do so. How do I overcome this situation of being stuck in between a rock and a hard place?

Do you guys have any thoughts? Feel free to criticize me if you feel it'll help me

Thanks,

vaisnavapada

Hi all, I have a few questions, which I hope you can help me solve. It is said that by sadhu-sanga, or saintly association, one can attain all perfection.

3.I see devotees who are so surrendered to their Guru(s). They have near no separate interest. I want that, too, but then I'm just not strong willed enough to submit myself like those devotees, although I know that I'll be happy forever if I were to do so. How do I overcome this situation of being stuck in between a rock and a hard place?

Do you guys have any thoughts? Feel free to criticize me if you feel it'll help me

Thanks,

vaisnavapada

Basically Vaishnavism is just like to open the curtain and let the sunshine in.

Not that we have to make the Sun rise, or adjust the intensity of the sunshine, this is already there. To associate with devotees is also arranged by God's mercy, you haven't to make a separate endeavor.

As soon you start to aspire for spiritual advancement everything is revealed step by step. Krishna guides us from within and ultimately we realize that everything is perfectly arranged and to reach the highest perfection is like to board a ship. As soon you're on that ship you haven't to worry about anything but peacefully reach the destination. This is God's greatness, everything is wonderfully arranged.

1. Always avoid those who are overly critical of other Vaishnavas, no matter what their arguments are - associate with nice devotees by listening and performing service.

2. Trust your instincts: if they seem fake, chances are you are right. The right mentality usually comes when you are around qualified Vaishnavas. It is natural to respect those who deserve to be respected.

3. Do not rush yourself with the surrender to guru business - read the books and study the people. You will be even more stuck if you surrender to a person you do not have full faith in.

There are three types of devotees:

1/Neophyte: The neophyte's faith is very fickle and she cannot give strong argument to others for her belief. She respects the Deity in the temple but does not show the same respect to other living entities who are parts and parcels of God. The neophyte may have so many faults but should be offered full respect because she chants the Holy Name.

2/Madhyama: The madhyama devotee can give good reason from scripture in defence of her faith. She generally makes distinction between who is a devotee and who is not. The madhyama devotee will try and associate with like souls and take shelter of those on a higher platform. She chants the Holy Name with good faith and takes her practice seriously. We should try to serve such a soul.

3/Uttama: The Uttama or topmost devotee is very rare in this world. The uttama sees Krsna in all things and makes no distinctions. Upon seeing the uttama people think of Krsna immediately. The uttama can touch another person and give devotion simply by presence. We should immediately prostrate ourselves upon seeing such a great soul.

y.s.

It is often misunderstood that to properly associate requires physical association. This however is not supported by the previous spiritual masters.

"As far as my blessing is concerned, it does not require my physical presence. If you are chanting Hare Krsna there, and following my instructions, reading the books, taking only Krsna prasadam etc., then there is no question of your not receiving the blessings of Lord Caitanya, whose mission I am humbly trying to push on."

SP Letter to Bala Krsna, 6/30/74)

Once you are here, you are properly associated. We may have philosophical refutes but all here are absolute gems. Nothing personal attacks here. Only philosophical debates coz everyone is on Only one mission and that is TRUTH.

By practice. Initially our egos feel offended. Gradually by practice, proper association can be achieved.

Wait till you are convinced and come out of your confusion. Once you have adopted, you have to live with it like living with a wife after marriage. But this comes with you.

All I can say is 'Welcome to the endless world of Spirituality'