IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Anusha

Planets' Rise/set

Rate this topic

Sun & Moon rise and set are quite visible.It is a daily phenomenon.Even other planets, Mercury,Jupiter,Venus rise and set but take long duration in between.

During which period they rise and set in their rotation?Is there a specific period for their rise and set?

Can this be explained please?

Anusha

Dear Anusha ji,

I am not sure of the exlpanation astrologically but astronomically, i think all other planets too rise and set everyday as rising and setting is relative to the rotation of Earth.

In Below link you can check the rise/set timings of all planets astronomically, of course Rahu and Ketu are not mentioned here. You can only see timings only in USA but You will get an idea about it.

http://www.almanac.com/rise/index.php?month=8&day=31&year=2008&timezone=0&state=NY&what=Venus&searchtype=place

Dear Anusha ji,

I am not sure of the exlpanation astrologically but astronomically, i think all other planets too rise and set everyday as rising and setting is relative to the rotation of Earth.

In Below link you can check the rise/set timings of all planets astronomically, of course Rahu and Ketu are not mentioned here. You can only see timings only in USA but You will get an idea about it.

http://www.almanac.com/rise/index.php?month=8&day=31&year=2008&timezone=0&state=NY&what=Venus&searchtype=place

dear unanth ji,

Thank you.It is very nice of you that you have taken pains to help me with respect to astronomy.I am able to view as per US timing.Astronomically all planets rise and set every day.It seems not so astrologocally.The duration between rise and set is too long.

I therefore need astrological guidance also in this respect.

But my question seems to have not yet drawn the attention of member astrologers of this forum.Hope SasisekaranJi,USRji,Deepaji can throw some light.

Regards,

Anusha

Can some one look into this and explain or suggest any link to an astro site where one can get the details of Rise/Set of planets as per indian timings,as given by unanth ji with respect astronomy

Anusha

dear unanth ji,

Thank you.It is very nice of you that you have taken pains to help me with respect to astronomy.I am able to view as per US timing.Astronomically all planets rise and set every day.It seems not so astrologocally.The duration between rise and set is too long.

I therefore need astrological guidance also in this respect.

But my question seems to have not yet drawn the attention of member astrologers of this forum.Hope SasisekaranJi,USRji,Deepaji can throw some light.

Regards,

Anusha

Anusha ji,

Below link wil give timings for any location on earth.

http://www.stargazing.net/mas/planet2.htm

You can check the consistency with other link i provided for USA although few minutes may vary.

What astronomically happens in sky, vedic astrology records and applies that data as You might know. So, i dont think there is discrepancy between both. Also the duration between rise and set is correct as You know that it wont be uniform everyday and all planets rise and set daily.

The softwares that we are using to make charts already take all these factors and give details. So they are able to calculate a planet is traversing which degree in wihch sign.

Anyways, let us wait for some insights by veterans as You said..

unanth ji,

Thank you very much.

Rohini Ji,

I give below an example of a planet rise/set as shown in the VAKYA ALMANAC for what I stated in my previous post 'It seems not so astrologocally.The duration between rise and set is too long.'

The Planet JUPITER sets (Asthamana) in the west on 17th January,2009 at 4-30 PM(approx) and rises (Udaya) in the east on 16th February,2009 at 4-30 PM(approx).This is what I meant.You may refer the almanac.

I wish to know as to what this Rise/Set of planets with such a long duration

contrary to what is shown in the links given by unanth Ji

Anusha

If this is a real example from the alamanc, then it seems incorrect. At 4:30 pm, there will be some particular sign on the eastern horizon, and a sign 6 signs away on the western horizon. during one month, this will change by 1 sign. How can Jupiter travel 5 signs (or seven) during one month?!! At least this is what i have understood about the movement of zodiac thru the skies.

It can not be incorrect as the Almanac from which I quoted is a well known Vakya Panchang No 28(Pambu Panchang as it is generally known) for the year Sarvadhari.It is only the question of understanding as to the meaning of Asthamana & Udaya in this context.During such period of asthamana(especially Jupiter or Venus) no muhurthams for any auspicious occassions like marriage,upanayanam etc are given.

Let us hope experts like V.K.Shridhar ji,Sasisekaranji,USRji,Deepaji give their

explantion.

Anusha

It can not be incorrect as the Almanac from which I quoted is a well known Vakya Panchang No 28(Pambu Panchang as it is generally known) for the year Sarvadhari.It is only the question of understanding as to the meaning of Asthamana & Udaya in this context.During such period of asthamana(especially Jupiter or Venus) no muhurthams for any auspicious occassions like marriage,upanayanam etc are given.

Let us hope experts like V.K.Shridharji,Sasisekaranji,USRji,Deepaji give their explanation.

Anusha

Anusha,

You are mixing up so many things. For fixing Muhurtha for each event like marriage,garbhadana,pumsavana,seemantha,namakaran,Grihapravesh etc etc certain combinations and rules are to be applied.In panchanga they are given common to all.But they should be verified with the natal chart and the best among them are to be chosen.A best muhurtha can be got only when the astrologer is expert in Muhurta as well as Natal astrology.Both are inseperable.Lot of books are available on Muhurtha written by sages, translated by many into local and english. Read them. Each may differ slightly ,but by experiance you know how to choose the best.

Muhurtha Softwares are also available,but don't go blindly in choosing the Muhurtha. Manual is best and for verification the SW can be used.

USR

Dear Usrji,

Thank you.

I am not refering to any muhurtha here.I am refering only to Rise/Set(Udaya/Asthamana) of planets like Mars,Mer,Jupiter,Venus & Sat as given in Vakya,Ganitha and other Panchangs where the duration shown between Set and Rise is too long.

I am giving below my first thread and the discussions by unanth ji & rohini Ji for your information.

Planets' Rise/set

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Sun & Moon rise and set are quite visible.It is a daily phenomenon.Even other planets, Mercury,Jupiter,Venus rise and set but take long duration in between.

During which period they rise and set in their rotation?Is there a specific period for their rise and set?

Anusha

By unanth

----------

Planets Rising time

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

Dear Anusha ji,

http://www.almanac.com/rise/index.ph...&state=NY&what=Venus&searchtype=place

Anusha ji,

Below link wil give timings for any location on earth.

http://www.stargazing.net/mas/planet2.htm

You can check the consistency with other link i provided for USA although few minutes may vary.

What astronomically happens in sky, vedic astrology records and applies that data as You might know. So, i dont think there is discrepancy between both. Also the duration between rise and set is correct as You know that it wont be uniform everyday and all planets rise and set daily.

The softwares that we are using to make charts already take all these factors and give details. So they are able to calculate a planet is traversing which degree in wihch sign.

Anyways, let us wait for some insights by veterans as You said..

<!-- / message -->unanth ji,

Thank you very much.

Rohini Ji,

I give below an example of a planet rise/set as shown in the VAKYA ALMANAC for what I stated in my previous post 'It seems not so astrologocally.The duration between rise and set is too long.'

The Planet JUPITER sets (Asthamana) in the west on 17th January,2009 at 4-30 PM(approx) and rises (Udaya) in the east on 16th February,2009 at 4-30 PM(approx).This is what I meant.You may refer the almanac.

I wish to know as to what this Rise/Set of planets with such a long duration

contrary to what is shown in the links given by unanth Ji

Anusha

<!-- / message -->To rohiniji

------------

explantion.

Anusha

I would like to have clarification on the aspect Udaya/Asthamana of planets as shown in the said Almanacs

regards,

Anusha

<!-- / message -->

<!-- / message -->

Anusha,

First confusion is regarding Rising & Setting in the horizon :

If you mean like Sun-rise & Sun-set timings. you can see details in ephemeris. Further about rising of a planet: it rises when its longitude is coinciding with the ascendant. About Sun-rise we take when it is half risen, and not when it is visible. Please study astronomy for this aspect in details.

Set & Combustion :

When a planet is not visible to the naked eye, being close to the Sun, it is called set or combust or Ashta. According to Indian astrology, a combust planet is the weakest & thus fails to give its effects. However western astrologers consider Cazimi (when the longitude of the Sun & the planet is the same – go to wikipedia for details) as a very powerful status for the planet.

May log on to :

http://www.srigaruda.com/wordpress/wp-content/astangata-asta.pdf

to read a good article on combustion.

Standard books give difference of degrees of the planets and that of the Sun, and also arc of combustion, when the specific planet becomes combust. But when you check Hindu ephemeris these are different. Reason being that the said longitudinal difference depends upon not only on the longitudes of the planet & the Sun but declination and latitude & longitude of the place from the planet is seen. So consider the starting & ending timings & dates from the ephemeris. This gives accurate date & time.

In horoscopy, all the exponents consider that Combust planet is the least powerful. But some give exception to the Mercury. Some opine the planet loses its weakness (some-what) if it occupies Navamsha different from that of the Sun. Some exponents opine that when the Moon is combust (even when severely combust during New Moon day – or within 12 degrees from the Sun) it should not be understood that the native has no mind and all the adverse effects of the Moon shall prevail in his life.

In Electional (Muhurt) astrology:

Not only the duration when the planet is combust, the related auspicious activity should not be initiated but few days before it is set and for few days after it rises; the duration should be avoided. If the weekday lord is combust, the weekday must be shunned. for details on electional astrology may read book titled “Hindu Electional Astrology”

http://www.besttime-election.com

May also please go to wikipedia – electional astrology - Hindu vs Western electional astrology : where I have contributed to inform the world that Vedic system of electrional astrology is proven & time tested for 5 millennium

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electional_Astrology

In a forum like this full details can not be discussed but I feel enough guidelines are with you on the subject .

.... V K Shridhar

Dear Shri.V.K.Shridhar ji,

It is very nice of you to have given so much to make me clearly understand the meaning of Planets' Set/Rise.I have now enough guidelines for my question as rightly stated by you.My sincere thanks.

Regrds,

Anusha

Anusha Ji,

My reply is wrt

"During such period of asthamana(especially Jupiter or Venus) no muhurthams for any auspicious occassions like marriage,upanayanam etc are given.

explantion."

Perhaps you may find detailed explanation if you refer standard books on this or from Shri Shridhar who is expert in this subject.I have good collection on this at home but I am on tour to USA,so I am unable to give detailed reply.

with best wishes,

USR

Dear USRji,

I,a just beginner in learning,am greatly benefitted by the detailed explanation of the expert Shri.Shridhar and your good self.I am very greatful for Your immediate responses & clarifications without any reservations to the small beginners like me.I am also helping people in need of astrological assistance through great gurujis like you,Shridhar ji,SaisekaranJi,Deepaji,Bhaaskaranji and others,while I learn myself.

I always come to the forum to seek your guidance,even if anyone asks me for auspicious timings.

I will also await your detailed explanation after your return from US.

My heartfelt thanks

Regards,

Anusha

Anushaji & readers,

First fundamental of Muhurt is that it is for auspicious activities and for Samskaras. Where initiation of the auspicious activity can wait, we must ensure that Jupiter and the Moon are not combust. For muhurt of marriage Venus must not be combust.

Exponents of Muhurt consider Mercury, Venus & Jupiter in order of benefics; Jupiter being the stongest for bestowing beneficence. The Moon is of fundamental consideration.

Exponents on Muhurt are silent regarding the role of Venus in Upanayana Samaskar, perhaps Venus is considered a planet for wordly attachment; and Upanyayana is purely a spiritual samaskar. While for ornamentation, travel, entry into house and the like worldly activities - strong Venus is a must.

However, for fruitful Muhurt none of the seven planets must be combust. During their combustion only debased activities fructify, which finally end in the worst results.

However Muhurt is one of the most intricate subject, where combustion of the planet(s) is one of the factor under consideration with due weightage.

... V K Shridhar

Anusha

Your confusion is due to you not clearly separating two types of heavenly motion:

1) the stars AND planets move relative to the earth's ROTATION.

2) the planet move in relation to the stars due to their own REVOLUTION around the sun.

The phenomena of "rising" and "setting" is caused by #1, the earth's daily spin or rotation. That is the whole reason why there is a "first house, second house" etc. and it's the same reason that the sun and moon rise and set and so to all the other stars and planets (well, *most* of the stars).

For example, Jupiter is now in Sagittarius. As the earth spins the Zodiac constellations rise on the eastern horizon and move through the sky up... across.. and down in to the west. When Sagittarius rises so does Jupiter (roughly) and when it sets so does Jupiter.

Now there is another phenomena which makes things somewhat confusing. The Second motion of the planets (in relation to their revolution in orbit around the sun) sometimes makes them appear to rise and set - particularly venus, for example. She is visible in the evening for 9 months and gradually gradually moves lower and lower till she disappears entirely for a while. Then soon later she becomes visible in the morning rising higher and then lower till 9 months later she disappears again. Currently you can see her in the evening, shining beautifully.

Dear Vic,

I feel that rather you are confused while giving reply in an another thread. Therein I have given following reply today on 26.9.2008:

Your statement that " The moon is never combust. This is a principle evident from any classical Jyotisha scripture. The nodes also do not combust. -- is not correct. :smash:

I do not know which scripture you are referring to. Please quote any standard treatise on Hindu / Vedic astrology.

As per Vedic astrology the Moon is considered combust when its longitude is within 12 degrees from that of the Sun.

Further the Moon should be avoided three days before its combustion , and half day after it rises, for the purposes of electional (Muhurt) astrology. (However for the above said durations there are different opnions of the exponents, but there is unanimity about the combustion).

For this refer to chapter 32 aphorism 13 of "Vasist Samhita" - an authoritative text in Electional astrology.

... V K Shridhar

-------------------

http://www.besttime-election.com

"Hindu Electional Astrology" - the largest compendium & best seller on Vedic astrology

I think there's something wierd going on with threads in this forum. Because now your reply appears in a thread that it doesn't seem to belong in.

Please state the source for your statement that the moon is combust when 12º of the sun. This is the amount I learned for Mercury retrograde. I was never taught that the moon combusts. This is because of the very nature of combustion itself.

Astronomically combustion occurs when a planet is the furthest that a planet can get from earth. Thus it weakens. Furthermore the sun's brightness blots it out. This is not true for either the moon nor the nodes. Therefore they do not combust. However when the moon gets within a much wider degree of the sun she becomes malefic and looses most of her natural good qualities. It is a similar effect but not "combustion"

Perhaps there are different rules for this in muhurta or in a school other thn mine?

Vic,

As per the Western astrology, a plenet becomes "Cazimi" when a plenet is withn 17 minutes from the Sun, and is said to be very powerful.

See following website:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cazimi

But as per Indian astrology, it becomes powerless, being in deep combustion.

When one have such a concept influenced by ancient western astrologers, no amount of quoting referencs of Vedic astrology can prove the point.

You may also find some information about combustion from the above website.

... V K Shridhar