IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Svarupa

Gurukuli

Rate this topic

viewImage?id=2836

Acting a role on TV in India

Jiggz (Mumbai) ex-Gurukuli from Gita Nagari and Vrndavana 11/11/1979 (28 yrs old) now actor just like his famous mum was in Australia before meeting Srila Prabhupada

Dad, His Divine Grace Bhurijana Das ISKCON spiritual Master and Guru

Mum Jagattarini DD

Sis Lalita Manjari

Yes, but is he still chanting?

He is not wearing neck beads, probably not, he probably treats 'Hare Krsna' like we treated christianity when we were growing up. My parents were Sunday school teachers, it never stopped me ;) becoming a serial killer in the 'movies'

You can't tell by the neck beads. I don't wear them anymore and I chant some. As an actor neck beads may not work for him. If he is not chanting he is not in a successfull position despite his career.

This is why children in Krishna consciousness should be given loads of love and attention. So they remember their childhoods in gurukula as the best times of their young lives. Then even if they forget for awhile they will cme back.

I would hold back on temple construction and spend that money on schools and the kids. FUN schools as well as learning. Not little mini bootcamps like some tried to institute in the 70's.

This is why children in Krishna consciousness should be given loads of love and attention. So they remember their childhoods in gurukula as the best times of their young lives. Then even if they forget for awhile they will cme back. I would hold back on temple construction and spend that money on schools and the kids. FUN schools as well as learning. Not little mini bootcamps like some tried to institute in the 70's.

Well written, yeah you are right, the future IS the children but they neglected that years ago and put more emphasis on Temple building. Anyway, it appears that now the lessons of emotional, psychological, physical and sexual misconduct has been well documented and understood and valuable lessons learnt, its time to re-establish Gurukula to the age of 18 again, especially in the States. And some how or other, in a devotionally fun kind of way, as you say, and keep them out of the mundane Colleges and Universities that Prabhupada called slaughter houses.

At present they attend primary school at the Gurukula, then from that atmosphere are place in karmi colleges. But I suppose they've got to face the 'real' world eventually, as we see now, the great majority do not stay on and become the Brahmacaris and Brahmatarines we 'imagined' they would become back in the eighties when we had all these kids.

In fact, unfortunately, most cannot adjust to the karmi world and struggle in their adult life. This is because they are cut off for so long with out any reference to the outside world, when they do go out there, it is a severe cultural shock.

They find themselves in a very, very small minority of believers and the sheer 'numbers' of meat eating karmis is over whelming that to fit in, many conform to the to the karmi life style, some even start eating meat.

Someone should write a thesis on this because were I live, once the kids in ISKCON reach 14 or 15, you never see them. WHY is this happening?

For example, in our area, we had about 90 Gurukulis. Out of them, 15 are regulars to the Temple.

If you treat people with kindness, love and affection without abuse of any kind, instead of trying to 'forcibly' program them, then it may work

But once again, we were brought up in a Christian society and rejected that due to hypocrisy - I suppose they are no different