IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
suchandra

Buddhism Is An Education - Not A Religion

Rate this topic

I agree, this is why Srila Prabhupada and his ISKCON Movement (Sanatan Dharma) are NOT Hindu

This is proved by the teachings of Srila Prabhupada. What Srila Prabhupada achieved since 1965, no other religious leader or teacher has achieved.

Within a short seven years, he had temples in every major city on the planet.

Neither any ‘Hindu’ teacher nor leader like Buddha, Jesus or sankaya could achieve this. It took thousands of years for their ideas to spread all over the world.

On the other hand, Prabhupada had established Temples from Hobart at the far edges of the world to Moscow on the other side of the planet.

Someone asked what his mystical power was, Srila Prabhupada said -

'"Krsna has helped me with the ability to print these beautiful book, providing flying objects that takes me all over the world, provides me with a hand held object that lets me talk to anyone anywhere on the planet and capture the sound of bhajans and lectures that can be heard over and over again. No religious teacher in history has spread a religious tradition as fast and wide as our ISKCON has in such a short period of time, it is very historical".

I agree, this is why Srila Prabhupada and his ISKCON Movement (Sanatan Dharma) are NOT Hindu

This is proved by the teachings of Srila Prabhupada. What Srila Prabhupada achieved since 1965, no other religious leader or teacher has achieved.

Within a short seven years, he had temples in every major city on the planet.

Neither any ‘Hindu’ teacher nor leader like Buddha, Jesus or sankaya could achieve this. It took thousands of years for their ideas to spread all over the world.

On the other hand, Prabhupada had established Temples from Hobart at the far edges of the world to Moscow on the other side of the planet.

Someone asked what his mystical power was, Srila Prabhupada said -

'"Krsna has helped me with the ability to print these beautiful book, providing flying objects that takes me all over the world, provides me with a hand held object that lets me talk to anyone anywhere on the planet and capture the sound of bhajans and lectures that can be heard over and over again. No religious teacher in history has spread a religious tradition as fast and wide as our ISKCON has in such a short period of time, it is very historical".

So, glory to the Internet. ;)

So, glory to the Internet. ;)

All glories to the pure devotees of Krsna who have been given the tools of technology. Years ago when a big freeway was being built between Melbourne and Sydney, I saw that freeway as given to us by Krsna so we could distribute more and more books.

In fact, between 1972 and 77 we distributed over 2 million Books in such a small country. Countries all over the world were having similar experiences.

History is never recognised in its own time, years from now historians will see Srila Prabhupada as the most significant personality of the 20th Century and the major influence of SPIRITUAL changes in the 1960s

Lord Buddha, a powerful incarnation of the Personality of Godhead, appeared in the province of Gayä (Bihar) as the son of Aïjanä, and he preached his own conception of nonviolence and deprecated even the animal sacrifices sanctioned in the Vedas.

At the time when Lord Buddha appeared, the people in general were atheistic and preferred animal flesh to anything else. On the plea of Vedic sacrifice, every place was practically turned into a slaughterhouse, and animal-killing was indulged in unrestrictedly.

Lord Buddha preached nonviolence, taking pity on the poor animals. He preached that he did not believe in the tenets of the Vedas and stressed the adverse psychological effects incurred by animal-killing.

Less intelligent men of the age of Kali, who had no faith in God, followed his principle, and for the time being they were trained in moral discipline and nonviolence, the preliminary steps for proceeding further on the path of God realization.

He deluded the atheists because such atheists who followed his principles did not believe in God, but they kept their absolute faith in Lord Buddha, who himself was the incarnation of God.

Thus the faithless people were made to believe in God in the form of Lord Buddha. That was the mercy of Lord Buddha: he made the faithless faithful to him.

Killing of animals before the advent of Lord Buddha was the most prominent feature of the society. People claimed that these were Vedic sacrifices.

just out of curiosity after reading this long post on buddha

as well reading this

'"Krsna has helped me with the ability to print these beautiful book, providing flying objects that takes me all over the world, provides me with a hand held object that lets me talk to anyone anywhere on the planet and capture the sound of bhajans and lectures that can be heard over and over again.

if i went back through the post on top and removed the word "Buddha" and placed the word "Krsna"

what is the difference?

just out of curiosity after reading this long post on buddha

as well reading this

if i went back through the post on top and removed the word "Buddha" and placed the word "Krsna"

what is the difference?

Have to agree, very good question!

If i went back through the post on top and removed the word "Buddha" and placed the word "Krsna"

what is the difference??

Good point, from the highest level there is no difference

Technically however, Lord Buddha’s philosophy is called atheistic because there is no acceptance of the Supreme Lord Krsna in his teachings and because that system of philosophy denied the authority of the Vedas.

But that is an act of camouflage by the Lord Krsna n the form of Lord Buddha. Lord Buddha is the incarnation of Godhead. As such, he is the original propounder of Vedic knowledge. He therefore cannot reject Vedic philosophy.

But he rejected it outwardly because the sura-dviña, or the demons who are always envious of the devotees of Godhead, try to support cow-killing or animal-killing from the pages of the Vedas, and this is now being done by the modernized sannyäsés.

Lord Buddha had to reject the authority of the Vedas altogether. This is simply technical, and had it not been so he would not have been so accepted as the incarnation of Godhead.

Lord Krsna appears in the material world PLAYING THE PART of different expansions in different forms according to time, place and circumstance however, when Krsna Himself comes personally in His youhful form, then one realizes the differences between all His other manifestations because Krsna is the cause of all cause and is eternally present in Goloka Vrndavana with His beloved Radha, His cowherd boy friends, His gopi girl friends, as well as ALL the inhabitants of GOLOKA

Sometime, on rare occussions, Krsna brings all this to the material world as Krsna Book tells us

Krishna Book- Table of Contents<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="j hc">(1970 Edition, 2 Volumes, 400 pages each. Hard Cover, 70 color plates, 6"x9"). Purchase 2 Volume Set(s) of Krsna Book.

www.krsnabook.com/contents/ - 17k - <NOBR>

Cached - Similar pages</NOBR>

More results from www.krsnabook.com »

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</B>

So, Buddha was playing 'games' ?

No, Krsna is performing lila (pastime) when He appears as Buddha

Read this -

Krishna Book- Table of Contents <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="j hc">(1970 Edition, 2 Volumes, 400 pages each. Hard Cover, 70 color plates, 6"x9"). Purchase 2 Volume Set(s) of Krsna Book.

www.krsnabook.com/contents/ - 17k - <NOBR>Cached - Similar pages</NOBR>

More results from www.krsnabook.com »

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<center>

The Authorised understanding of Lord Buddha

Lord Buddha As mentioned in the Srimad Bhagavatam

</center>

tataù kalau sampravåtte

sammohäya sura-dviñäm

buddho nämnäïjana-sutaù

kékaöeñu bhaviñyati

SYNONYMS

tataù—thereafter; kalau—the age of Kali; sampravåtte—having ensued; sammohäya—for the purpose of deluding; sura—the theists; dviñäm—those who are envious; buddhaù—Lord Buddha; nämnä—of the name; aïjana-sutaù—whose mother was Aïjanä; kékaöeñu—in the province of Gayä (Bihar); bhaviñyati—will take place.

TRANSLATION

Then, in the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Aïjanä, in the province of Gayä, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theist.

PURPORT by HDG Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada -

Lord Buddha, a powerful incarnation of the Personality of Godhead, appeared in the province of Gayä (Bihar) as the son of Aïjanä, and he preached his own conception of nonviolence and deprecated even the animal sacrifices sanctioned in the Vedas.

At the time when Lord Buddha appeared, the people in general were atheistic and preferred animal flesh to anything else. On the plea of Vedic sacrifice, every place was practically turned into a slaughterhouse, and animal-killing was indulged in unrestrictedly.

Lord Buddha preached nonviolence, taking pity on the poor animals. He preached that he did not believe in the tenets of the Vedas and stressed the adverse psychological effects incurred by animal-killing.

Less intelligent men of the age of Kali, who had no faith in God, followed his principle, and for the time being they were trained in moral discipline and nonviolence, the preliminary steps for proceeding further on the path of God realization.

He deluded the atheists because such atheists who followed his principles did not believe in God, but they kept their absolute faith in Lord Buddha, who himself was the incarnation of God.

Thus the faithless people were made to believe in God in the form of Lord Buddha. That was the mercy of Lord Buddha: he made the faithless faithful to him.

Killing of animals before the advent of Lord Buddha was the most prominent feature of the society. People claimed that these were Vedic sacrifices.

When the Vedas are not accepted through the authoritative disciplic succession, the casual readers of the Vedas are misled by the flowery language of that system of knowledge.

In the Bhagavad-Gita a comment has been made on such foolish scholars (avipaçcitaù). The foolish scholars of Vedic literature who do not care to receive the transcendental message through the transcendental realized sources of disciplic succession are sure to be bewildered.

To them, the ritualistic ceremonies are considered to be all in all. They have no depth of knowledge. According to the Bhagavad-Gita (15.15), vedaiç ca sarvair aham eva vedyaù: the whole system of the Vedas is to lead one gradually to the path of the Supreme Lord.

The whole theme of Vedic literature is to know the Supreme Lord, the individual soul, the cosmic situation and the relation between all these items. When the relation is known, the relative function begins, and as a result of such a function the ultimate goal of life or going back to Godhead takes place in the easiest manner.

Unfortunately, unauthorized scholars of the Vedas become captivated by the purificatory ceremonies only, and natural progress is thereby checked.

To such bewildered persons of atheistic propensity, Lord Buddha is the emblem of theism.

He therefore first of all wanted to check the habit of animal-killing. The animal-killers are dangerous elements on the path going back to Godhead. There are two types of animal-killers. The soul is also sometimes called the “animal” or the living being.

Therefore, both the slaughterer of animals and those who have lost their identity of soul are animal-killers.

Maharaja Parikshit said that only the animal-killer cannot relish the transcendental message of the Supreme Lord.

Therefore if people are to be educated to the path of Godhead, they must be taught first and foremost to stop the process of animal-killing as above mentioned.

It is nonsensical to say that animal-killing has nothing to do with spiritual realization. By this dangerous theory many so-called sannyasis have sprung up by the grace of Kali-yuga who preach animal-killing under the garb of the Vedas.

The subject matter has already been discussed in the conversation between Lord Caitanya and Maulana Chand Kazi Shaheb.

The animal sacrifice as stated in the Vedas is different from the unrestricted animal-killing in the slaughterhouse.

Because the asuras or the so-called scholars of Vedic literatures put forward the evidence of animal-killing in the Vedas, Lord Buddha superficially denied the authority of the Vedas.

This rejection of the Vedas by Lord Buddha was adopted in order to save people from the vice of animal-killing as well as to save the poor animals from the slaughtering process of their big brothers who clamor for universal brotherhood, peace, justice and equity.

There is no justice when there is animal-killing. Lord Buddha wanted to stop it completely, and therefore his cult of ahiàsä was propagated not only in India but also outside the country.

Technically Lord Buddha’s philosophy is called atheistic because there is no acceptance of the Supreme Lord and because that system of philosophy denied the authority of the Vedas. But that is an act of camouflage by the Lord.

Lord Buddha is the incarnation of Godhead. As such, he is the original propounder of Vedic knowledge. He therefore cannot reject Vedic philosophy.

But he rejected it outwardly because the sura-dviña, or the demons who are always envious of the devotees of Godhead, try to support cow-killing or animal-killing from the pages of the Vedas, and this is now being done by the modernized sannyäsés.

Lord Buddha had to reject the authority of the Vedas altogether. This is simply technical, and had it not been so he would not have been so accepted as the incarnation of Godhead.

Nor would he have been worshiped in the transcendental songs of the poet Jayadeva, who is a Vaishnava acarya.

Lord Buddha preached the preliminary principles of the Vedas in a manner suitable for the time being (and so also did Çaìkaräcärya) to establish the authority of the Vedas.

Therefore both Lord Buddha and Acarya Çaìkara paved the path of theism, and Vaishnava Acaryas, specifically Lord Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu, led the people on the path towards a realization of going back to Godhead.

We are glad that people are taking interest in the nonviolent movement of Lord Buddha. But will they take the matter very seriously and close the animal slaughterhouses altogether?

If not, there is no meaning to the ahiàsä cult.

Çrémad-Bhägavatam was composed just prior to the beginning of the age of Kali (about five thousand years ago), and Lord Buddha appeared about twenty-six hundred years ago.

Therefore in the Srimad-Bhagavatam Lord Buddha is foretold. Such is the authority of this clear scripture. There are many such prophecies, and they are being fulfilled one after another.

They will indicate the positive standing of Srimad-Bhagavatam, which is without trace of mistake, illusion, cheating and imperfection, which are the four flaws of all conditioned souls.

The liberated souls are above these flaws; therefore they can see and foretell things which are to take place on distant future dates. (Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. Srimad Bhagavatam 1:3:24. text and purport.)

http://www.vedabase.com/

What's wrong with Jainism ?

What's wrong with Jainism ?

Krsna in Jainism is prominent but the correct understanding on service to Krsna has been diluted over time of thousanda of years due to deviations

The most exalted figures in Jainism are the twenty-four Tirthankaras. Krishna, when he was incorporated into the Jain list of heroic figures presented a problem with his activities which are not pacifist or non-violent. The concept of Baladeva, Vasudeva and Prati-Vasedeva was used to solve it.

The Jain list of sixty-three Shalakapurshas or notable figures includes amongst others, the twenty-four Tirthankaras and nine sets of this triad. One of these triads is Krishna as the Vasudeva, Balarama as the Baladeva and Jarasandha as the Prati-Vasudeva. He was a cousin of the twenty-second Tirthankara, Neminatha.

The stories of these triads can be found in the Harivamsha of Jinasena (not be confused with its namesake, the addendum to Mahabharata) and the Trishashti-shalakapurusha-charita of Hemachandra.

In each age of the Jain cyclic time is born a Vasudeva with an elder brother termed the Baladeva. The villain is the Prati-vasudeva. Baladeva is the upholder of the Jain principle of non-violence.

However, Vasudeva has to forsake this principle to kill the Prati-Vasudeva and save the world. The Vasudeva then has to descend to hell as punishment for this violent act. Having undergone the punishment, he is then reborn as a Tirthankara.

Once I was shopping in a used book store and there were old timers in lounge chairs arguing about weather, "Who says God & soul are necessary for religion?".

Then the shop owner comes over to me, on his way to the lounge, and he points to a verse in a book and says to me, "Son, see here, in this book? It's called the Bhagavad-gita, the Song Of God", he continues, "In this book,

Krishna clearly says:

yadä yadä hi dharmasya, glänir bhavati bhärata

abhyutthänam adharmasya, tadätmänaà såjämy aham

'Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion—at that time I descend Myself.' — so as anyone can see God is in charge of Religion when we are lucky enough to gain his audience"

I didn't understand his point, at that time, but then suddenly I said to the shop owner, "Hey, are you a Hare Krishna?" He gave a dirty look and walked away to the lounge to confront those old-timers. A moment later howls of argumentation erupted as I re-boarded the tour bus in <st1:place w:st="Krishna</st1:place"> clearly says: </st1:place>

<st1:place">Wales</st1:country-region>.

Krsna in Jainism is prominent but the correct understanding on service to Krsna has been diluted over time of thousanda of years due to deviations

The most exalted figures in Jainism are the twenty-four Tirthankaras. Krishna, when he was incorporated into the Jain list of heroic figures presented a problem with his activities which are not pacifist or non-violent. The concept of Baladeva, Vasudeva and Prati-Vasedeva was used to solve it.

The Jain list of sixty-three Shalakapurshas or notable figures includes amongst others, the twenty-four Tirthankaras and nine sets of this triad. One of these triads is Krishna as the Vasudeva, Balarama as the Baladeva and Jarasandha as the Prati-Vasudeva. He was a cousin of the twenty-second Tirthankara, Neminatha.

The stories of these triads can be found in the Harivamsha of Jinasena (not be confused with its namesake, the addendum to Mahabharata) and the Trishashti-shalakapurusha-charita of Hemachandra.

In each age of the Jain cyclic time is born a Vasudeva with an elder brother termed the Baladeva. The villain is the Prati-vasudeva. Baladeva is the upholder of the Jain principle of non-violence.

However, Vasudeva has to forsake this principle to kill the Prati-Vasudeva and save the world. The Vasudeva then has to descend to hell as punishment for this violent act. Having undergone the punishment, he is then reborn as a Tirthankara.

Yes your are correct, the jains know Krishna as Rishabha, as a matter of fact the following verses from Srimad Bhagavatam proves that Rishabha was the eighth Avatara :

ashtame merudevyam tu

nabher jata urukramah

darsayan vartma dhiranam

sarvasrama-namaskritam

So it shouldn't make any difference if it's Krishna or Rishabha, let's accept Rishabha(with his teachings) as the eighth avatara.

Or is it there's no Krishna at all ? :(

So, Buddha was playing 'games' ?

No Buddha came to explain in detail Nirvana, which Krishna mentioned 5000 years back.

Nirvana is one of the steps towards Bhakti.

A more careful analysis of the Gita will reveal all the different Branches of Thoughts, and will in the end reveal the highest of them all. Gita cannot be sectarian, for those who think so.

Nirvana was mentioned in the Divine song, which later Buddha Himself came to explain for not-so-clever but better-than-many people.

No Buddha came to explain in detail Nirvana, which Krishna mentioned 5000 years back.

Nirvana is one of the steps towards Bhakti.

A more careful analysis of the Gita will reveal all the different Branches of Thoughts, and will in the end reveal the highest of them all. Gita cannot be sectarian, for those who think so.

Nirvana was mentioned in the Divine song, which later Buddha Himself came to explain for not-so-clever but better-than-many people.

.......***

<embed src="http://krishna.terapad.com/resources/3490/assets/videos/jungle.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="620" height="320">

Vana means forest, nirvana means, turn this forest into zero

Lord Buddha rejected the principles of Vedic knowledge.

Nirvana says, one has to dismantle the combination of the material elements to reach the state of nothingness, zeroness.

Bhakti teaches not to dismantle the material elements but consider them as real, as Krsna's creation and thus engage the material elements in accordance with the purpose of the creator.

Along the Buddhist path there are nine principles:

(1) The creation is eternal; therefore there is no need to accept a creator.

(2) This cosmic manifestation is false.

(3) "I am" is the truth.

(4) There is repetition of birth and death.

(5) Lord Buddha is the only source of understanding the truth.

(6) The principle of nirvana, or annihilation, is the ultimate goal.

(7) The philosophy of Buddha is the only philosophical path.

(8) The Vedas are compiled by human beings.

(9) Pious activities, showing mercy to others and so on are advised.

Since (2) says the cosmic manifestation is false, Buddhism rejects that Krsna is the ultimate creator of let's say, a flower. Since bhakti says to consider this flower as real and created by God and that one should offer this flower to God, there is no such thing that Buddhism is a step towards bhakti.

In fact Buddhism rejects bhakti since all the items one requires to perform bhakti are seen as false.

.......***

<embed src="http://krishna.terapad.com/resources/3490/assets/videos/jungle.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="320" width="620">

Vana means forest, nirvana means, turn this forest into zero

Lord Buddha rejected the principles of Vedic knowledge.

Nirvana says, one has to dismantle the combination of the material elements to reach the state of nothingness, zeroness.

Bhakti teaches not to dismantle the material elements but consider them as real, as Krsna's creation and thus engage the material elements in accordance with the purpose of the creator.

Along the Buddhist path there are nine principles:

(1) The creation is eternal; therefore there is no need to accept a creator.

(2) This cosmic manifestation is false.

(3) "I am" is the truth.

(4) There is repetition of birth and death.

(5) Lord Buddha is the only source of understanding the truth.

(6) The principle of nirvana, or annihilation, is the ultimate goal.

(7) The philosophy of Buddha is the only philosophical path.

(8) The Vedas are compiled by human beings.

(9) Pious activities, showing mercy to others and so on are advised.

Since (2) says the cosmic manifestation is false, Buddhism rejects that Krsna is the ultimate creator of let's say, a flower. Since bhakti says to consider this flower as real and created by God and that one should offer this flower to God, there is no such thing that Buddhism is a step towards bhakti. In fact Buddhism rejects bhakti.

Nope, Buddhism does not reject Bhakti, cause they don't even know what is Bhakti.

If His audience had the capacity to learn the Highest Truth, Buddha would not have stopped continuing with His lesson.

Buddha is an Avatar of Hari; understand why he did that.

Even the Gita started with the level of understanding of Arjuna. First of all Krishna, said win the battle, you'll enjoy bliss on earth or even if you get Veer-Gati, you'll enjoy higher bliss on some planets.... but in the end you'll understand that the real bliss is not found elsewhere except having Hari always on our mind.

Knowing a person's mind and advising till his intellect or better, his consciousness permits him, is the real way.

Krishna revealed his Supremacy after the conversation grew a little bit longer not before.

Why he did that?

By that time, Arjuna was in measure to know that blissful Truth.

Nope, Buddhism does not reject Bhakti, cause they don't even know what is Bhakti.

Every language has its translation for bhakti, to serve God. One who says he doesn't know what it means to serve is rather like someone who says, he doesn't know what a floorcloth is. "Could you please get the floorcloth and clean this floor?" Answer: "Sorry, but I don't know what a floorcloth is."

Every language has its translation for bhakti, to serve God. One who says he doesn't know what it means to serve is rather like someone who says, he doesn't know what a floorcloth is. "Could you please get the floorcloth and clean this floor?" Answer: "Sorry, but I don't know what a floorcloth is."

Nope, only Gita has the copyright for Bhakti [+ Ramayana, Bhagvatam et all].

Not even Vedas.

That's why in Bhagvatam it is said, for the Bhakta, he does not even care to read the Vedas, he just carry on with my work.

And Krishna mentioned about Pushpitam Vaacham concerning the Vedas.

Gita is beyond Pavriti and Nivriti.

It does not mean I despise the Vedas, I do like them very much.

since both Krishna and Buddha have birth names as well lived in different time periods; then is it possible both contributed to the evolution of knowledge (veda) for the following generations; both within Bhakti (devotion)?

or perhaps a parallel;

Moses/Jesus

As Christianity has the hold on Jesus "Christ" or Khristos meaning the anointed or messiah, hence why the Christians use the term Jesus Christ

but the Moses following folk (Judaism) do not believe Jesus was the Christ

so between Buddha and Krisna..... each have a religion founded in the methods of defining what knowledge is important and furthered

yet.......... between all four key belief systems, the rules of compassion are why anyone even listens in the first place.

and just to even seek; perhaps each are of Bhakti to understand

and also in each sect of belief, there all have words mentioning the last chapter to combine all......

based on a devotional contribution, once again.....

so existence is purposed in Bhakti; devotion to life

The 'existence' of flowers is probably acknowledged in buddhism. Just our 'perception' of flowers may be false..

Kind regards, Bart

Buddhism believes in the non-existence of matter. So your understanding of it is also incorrect!

Get enlightened here & now, fools :rolleyes:

<embed src="

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="244" width="300">

Swami Dayananda, 1976 (Swami Chinmayananda's disciple)

Buddhism believes in the non-existence of matter. So your understanding of it is also incorrect!

Buddhism doesn’t deny our ‘perception’ of what we commonly refer to as matter or ‘the material world’. It just sees this as illusory. Statements like: "this cosmic manifestation is false", imply that there is a perceptual cosmic manifestation, although it is false. So, in my understanding, Buddhism only denies the reality of what we perceive, but not the reality of the percept itself. Since there is a percept, there must at least exist some real ‘underlying mechanism’ that produces it. In this ontological sense, a ‘representation’ of everything in our perceived cosmic manifestation must somehow exist in reality. Ultimately, reality may even be ‘void’ in perceptual terms, but reality must exist.

Kind regards, Bart