IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

How to Start Chanting Again?

Rate this topic

What discouraged me was people (devotees) did'nt understand. Which made me realize 'I'm just a normal Hindu'! Just chant prabhu! is general replies. THAT did'nt help. Now I know it was FEAR. Just like 18.66 Gita Krishna says Do not Fear.

Sometimes changing where you are is a good idea. Still, the grass isn't always greener. The mind will follow us wherever we go. If you can get to a Temple, that would be ideal. Even the Christians have their outdoor "Revivals" now and then.

Still, it may not be possible to make any changes in location. However, we can make changes in our daily routine, even subtle changes. For instance, we know that there are 9 processes of devotional service. Chanting, or kirtanam, is but one of those 9. I've found that sometimes I feel rejuvenated after reading from scripture, even if it's just for 10 or 15 minutes. Or singing the holy name out loud (instead of japa.) Or reciting a prayer from Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur. Or chanting Lord Nityananda Prabhu's name for a few minutes. I think there might be something to the mantrarajas, as Lord Nityananda and Lord Gauranga never consider our offenses. So, maybe try sravanama and vandanam to help get you jump started back into japa.

I know the feeling, Pankaja, sometimes when I stop chanting it's hard to start back up, even when others tell me to "just do it." Sometimes we have to break our previous routine and try something different. Take baby steps. Even if we can't chant the full 16 rounds at first, try chanting 4 per day for a couple of weeks and then work your way back up to your prescribed number at your own pace. Better to chant just a little than none at all.

Hope this helps. Nice discussion! I'm sure that it applies to many of us here at one time or another.

Dear Pankaja_Dasa,

Actually I think 'fear' is maya. Hence, my question: What are you afraid of? When you see your 'fear', you may be able to solve the problem yourself, confronting it. Ultimately, even fear of death is not necessary. Spirit will live forever. ;)

Kind regards,

Bart

okay i am chanting, no.2 the mind will follow us wherever we go is totally false. If it did why did i chant again? Problem comes when you back to original place. Thats when mind follows you. Just do it means .. Just Let Go, forget it all.

Bg-6.44

"O my Lord! Persons who chant the holy names of Your Lordship are far, far advanced in spiritual life, even if born in families of dog-eaters. Such chanters have undoubtedly performed all kinds of austerities and sacrifices, bathed in all sacred places, and finished all scriptural studies."

The famous example of this was presented by Lord Caitanya, who accepted Thakura Haridasa as one of His most important disciples. Although Thakura Haridasa happened to take his birth in a Muslim family, he was elevated to the post of namacarya by Lord Caitanya due to his rigidly attended principle of chanting three hundred thousand holy names of the Lord daily: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. And because he chanted the holy name of the Lord constantly, it is understood that in his previous life he must have passed through all the ritualistic methods of the Vedas, known as sabda-brahma. Unless, therefore, one is purified, one cannot take to the principle of Krsna consciousness or become engaged in chanting the holy name of the Lord, Hare Krsna.

Since you have chanted in the past, that means you were purified to some degree to be able to chant, somehow you have stopped chanting this does not mean you can't start again. Now you must purify again. We were not purified when chanting in the beginning and it was hard at first but after a while the chanting cleanses everything. This will happen again. Just don't stop.

Hare Krishna.